Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2011 Season
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011 Season  (Read 141476 times)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #760 on: March 21, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »

Of all the teams that were rumored to be interested in Peyton Manning, I thought that the Broncos had the least amount of talent, so I'm surprised that's where he signed. I'm not sure they even win their (weak) division next season. No way in hell are they a Superbowl contender.

I think the big misconception is that the Broncos won last year in spite of Tebow, so people think, 'Man, if they got into the second round of the playoffs with Tebow, imagine what they'll do with Peyton.' But I think they won last year because of Tebow. When the Broncos had a normal drop-back passer they were terrible. They couldn't protect the QB; their running game sucked. It was because of the unorthodox style of play they had to incorporate with Tebow as QB that propelled the winning streak. They suddenly became the number one rushing team and they got bailed out by some great FG kicking and unexplainable Tebow magic. They overachieved.

If Peyton is anything less than his former self, then I think the Broncos struggle this season and finish under .500.

Here Today . . .
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #761 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »

Vegas has Green Bay as the favorite to win the Super Bowl.  The Pats are next in line followed by the Saints, Texans, Broncos (call it the Peyton Manning effect), Niners, Ravens, Eagles, Giants, Steelers.

I think, in terms of regular season records, they've probably ordered them pretty well (depending, obviously, on health...especially QB health).

But I STILL believe that, to win in the playoffs, you have to have good defense.  I don't thing GB or NO have that...yet.  Not with the FA signings they've made so far, at least.

We'll see on NE....

I think my pick would be the Texans.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #762 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »

Of all the teams that were rumored to be interested in Peyton Manning, I thought that the Broncos had the least amount of talent, so I'm surprised that's where he signed. I'm not sure they even win their (weak) division next season. No way in hell are they a Superbowl contender.

I think the big misconception is that the Broncos won last year in spite of Tebow, so people think, 'Man, if they got into the second round of the playoffs with Tebow, imagine what they'll do with Peyton.' But I think they won last year because of Tebow. When the Broncos had a normal drop-back passer they were terrible. They couldn't protect the QB; their running game sucked. It was because of the unorthodox style of play they had to incorporate with Tebow as QB that propelled the winning streak. They suddenly became the number one rushing team and they got bailed out by some great FG kicking and unexplainable Tebow magic. They overachieved.

If Peyton is anything less than his former self, then I think the Broncos struggle this season and finish under .500.

I think you gotta wait a few weeks, yet, to see what Denver does now that Peyton is on the team.  I expect you're going to see some churn, and their draft strategy just COMPLETELY changed.  They COULD put the pieces around Manning (when they drop Tebow, they'll actually have some cap space to play with) to be contenders.

I do agree...of the teams he showed real interest in...Denver was not the most talented.  I get the feeling this was about "comfort", not talent.  I suspect Peyton believes he can turn pretty much any team into a winner....and who knows what assurances the FO gave him during their meetings about talent aquisition.

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #763 on: March 21, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »

Tebow to the Jets...

Sean Payton suspended a year...

geeze.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #764 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

HOOOOORRRRRIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE idea by my Jets.

Bottom line is Tebow is gonna come in, Sanchez will suck of course this year and they'll start booing him...then Rexy will be forced to start Tebow to appease the fans and we will still suck.  The Jets need to get back to the running game...it almost took them to the SB two years in a row and when they let it go and attempted to turn Sanchez into a more passing QB it backfired.  Idiots.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #765 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

Saints got hit hard! No HC for a year no GM for 6 games I believe...and to top it off no 2nd rd pick this year or next

Hope that Superbowl was worth it

Coop

2012 is like Christmas!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #766 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »

Haha, my atheist best friend will hate this as he's a big Jets fan.  rofl
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »

HOOOOORRRRRIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE idea by my Jets.

Bottom line is Tebow is gonna come in, Sanchez will suck of course this year and they'll start booing him...then Rexy will be forced to start Tebow to appease the fans and we will still suck.  The Jets need to get back to the running game...it almost took them to the SB two years in a row and when they let it go and attempted to turn Sanchez into a more passing QB it backfired.  Idiots.

I think Sanchez gets benched by Week 5.  Tebow is a better QB for Sparano's run-oriented offense (maybe a meaningless coincidence, but Tebow/Sparano have the same agent).  Kind of crazy to have Sanchez's big contract on the bench, but Tebow makes so little that they can afford to do that. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #768 on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »

Tebow to the Jets...

Surprised....HORRIBLE deal for the Jets.  They just manufactured a QB controversy in an already fractured locker room in one of the toughest media markets in sports.

Do they do ANYTHING right?

Sean Payton suspended a year...

Not shocked. It's a tough sentence, but when you look at the details....I expected the Smack to be layeth down.  Maybe not a full year, but I was expecting at least 8 to 10 games.  Seems the Commish didn't like being lied to TWICE.

geeze.

May you live in interesting times?  Probably the busiest 24 hours in an off season I can remember for the NFL.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #769 on: March 21, 2012, 03:21:14 PM »

I think Sanchez gets benched by Week 5.  Tebow is a better QB for Sparano's run-oriented offense (maybe a meaningless coincidence, but Tebow/Sparano have the same agent).  Kind of crazy to have Sanchez's big contract on the bench, but Tebow makes so little that they can afford to do that. 

I'm not a Tebow believer...I'd need to see a LOT more from him to agree with the above.

Tebow might be interesting in some Wildcat formations...maybe a spot RB or occasional stunt punt return.  NOT as a starting QB...not anywhere in the league (except Jacksonville..but not for on the field reasons).

Not worth a 4 and a 6 to the Jets, though.  Not by half.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »

I'm not a Tebow believer...I'd need to see a LOT more from him to agree with the above.

Tebow might be interesting in some Wildcat formations...maybe a spot RB or occasional stunt punt return.  NOT as a starting QB...not anywhere in the league (except Jacksonville..but not for on the field reasons).

Not worth a 4 and a 6 to the Jets, though.  Not by half.

Even most Tebow-haters would agree that he was at least an average QB last year in what was essentially his first season as a full-time starting QB (I believe he was a Pro Bowl alternate selection); I'm expecting that he'll become a better passer, but nobody knows that one way or the other.  Sanchez, too, has been about average, except it's been 3 years with little to no improvement.

EDIT:  Apparently the trade might not go down ---

@AdamSchefter
Tim Tebow has $5 million worth of recapture language, meaning Jets would have to pay back money to Denver. Jets might be unwilling. Complex.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:00:13 PM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »

There could be a hangup with the trade over the 5 million dollars, a source still thinks the trade will go through though. I didn't see this coming. I can't say i'm thrilled. I want to see the Jets give Sanchez more time to develop.

I'm not surprised by the ruling by Goodell, you do not lie to the commish several times and get away with it. The penalty fits the crime IMO. No coach for a year, no GM for half a season and the orchestrator of this whole thing banned until further notice.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #772 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »

It's official!  Holy shit would I NOT want to be a Jets fan right now.
This has to be one of the most ridiculous acquisitions in recent memory.
As dumb as Cromartie usually is, he hit the nail on the head with his ill-timed Tweet.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #773 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »

I really don't get this move at all. We give Sanchez that contract then trade for Tebow?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #774 on: March 22, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »

Broncos sacrificed a Virgin for the Super Bowl!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #775 on: March 22, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »

I really don't get this move at all. We give Sanchez that contract then trade for Tebow?
From what I've heard, that deal they gave Sanchez saved them money up front and really didn't show they were committed to him long term.  It may have "looked" that way, but in the grand scheme of things, that isn't necessarily the case. 

I see them getting Tebow for 3 different reasons.  1) They believe the guy could be something special, either in time as he develops into a better QB or right now as a change of pace type of guy.  2) They hope to light a fire under Sanchez, as Mark Brunell wasn't exactly doing that.  3) They simply want to be the talk of the town.

I thought the Jets were on the right track a few years back and was actually worried they were going to take over the AFC East.  Last year couldn't have gone any worse for them, and I don't honestly see how this helps them.

On the bright side, picking up Laron Landry, COULD be a good move.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #776 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:11 AM »

Vegas has Green Bay as the favorite to win the Super Bowl.  The Pats are next in line followed by the Saints, Texans, Broncos (call it the Peyton Manning effect), Niners, Ravens, Eagles, Giants, Steelers.

I think, in terms of regular season records, they've probably ordered them pretty well (depending, obviously, on health...especially QB health).

But I STILL believe that, to win in the playoffs, you have to have good defense.  I don't thing GB or NO have that...yet.  Not with the FA signings they've made so far, at least.

We'll see on NE....

I think my pick would be the Texans.....
Yeah, I think the Texans could be serious players next year.  They were on the brink up until last season when they finally broke out.  Who knows what would've happened if Shaub didn't get hurt.  Though, that seems to be a recurring problem for them.

What I don't get with the Packers is why their defense was so bad last year.  Wasn't it basically the same defense that played so well the year before when they won the Super Bowl?  What happened?

As for Manning ending up in Denver.  I was surprised too.  Obviously San Fran had the best talent, but the NFC is more loaded than the AFC these days, so that may have played a role.  Also, his agent also represents Alex Smith, so that could've gotten weird.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #777 on: March 22, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »

I think some of you are over reacting to the Tebow thing.  The dude has proven he has what it takes to be a playmaker in this league, nobody said anything about him being a starting QB.  He is great for 3rd and 5, and some red zone opportunities.  The Jets also gave up nothing for him, so if it doesn't work out so what? 

And enough about Sanchez, he has been coddled for 3 years, its about time the Jets stop breastfeeding him and challenge him to do better, Tebow will light a fire under his ass.

The real bad deal of the week is how much the Bronco's spent on Manning.  The dude is past his prime and coming off of how many neck surgeries?  Very risky, they just mortgaged the whole future on a guy who might not even play a full season with them.  Could it work out ?  Sure.  But it is far from a sure thing.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #778 on: March 22, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »

I think some of you are over reacting to the Tebow thing.  The dude has proven he has what it takes to be a playmaker in this league, nobody said anything about him being a starting QB.  He is great for 3rd and 5, and some red zone opportunities.  The Jets also gave up nothing for him, so if it doesn't work out so what? 

And enough about Sanchez, he has been coddled for 3 years, its about time the Jets stop breastfeeding him and challenge him to do better, Tebow will light a fire under his ass.

The deal in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Worth a shot.  The Jets overall are just a mess right now.  You have Rex Ryan predicting Super Bowls every year.  You have Santonio Holmes not giving it his all.  You have anonymous guys questioning Mark Sanchez.  You have Antonio Cromartie questioning the team for making a deal for Tebow.  You had the Jets interested in Manning, then giving Sanchez an extension, then trading for Tebow.  Sending some mixed messages there.

Just seems like an epic mess to me.

SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #779 on: March 22, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »

The real bad deal of the week is how much the Bronco's spent on Manning.  The dude is past his prime and coming off of how many neck surgeries?  Very risky, they just mortgaged the whole future on a guy who might not even play a full season with them.  Could it work out ?  Sure.  But it is far from a sure thing.

I have to completely agree! Being a Niner fan I wanted to see us give Manning a try, but I know that Trent Baalke didn't probly offer him more than a three year contract which is the logical thing to do...the Broncos are a desperate team if you ask me..and I still think they are...Elway is trying to make a splash in the NFL as a GM...well buddy you're in the water now...lets see if you can swim lol  Also I've heard alot about the "health/surgery clause" in Manning's contract, but haven't heard the details of how it would work exactly ....any thoughts?

Also...I think that Tebow in NY could end up being a good thing for them in the end...if not it may spell the end for old Rex

Coop

2012 is like Christmas!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: