Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227883 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  'My World' - If you hate it you are missing the point
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'My World' - If you hate it you are missing the point  (Read 24004 times)
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: May 26, 2004, 03:51:02 PM »

I can understand if people dont like this song but do believe that the ones who say that it is total crap are totally missing the point of the song and the reason for the song.

As I have stated in another topic, the intention of this song was not to create another nice little RnR number that we can all sing along to with our friends, it was never meant to be an easy listen. This song was meant to depict Axls world so it had to be a totally fucked up piece of music, its a challenge to listen to, its almost uncomfortable to listen to and that is all part of it genius.

The song was meant to get inside you head and fuck with your mind so that you may just possibly understand the fucked up world of the mind that created it.

If you dismiss this song, then to do the above is too much of a challenge and I suggest that you "Fuck off and go buy something from the new age section"

"My World" was years ahead of its time, is better than anything Trent Reznor had done up to that point, and is quite frankly a fucking masterpiece
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 03:53:38 PM by MrBen » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 03:56:34 PM »

I can understand if people dont like this song but do believe that the ones who say that it is total crap are totally missing the point of the song and the reason for the song.

As I have stated in another topic, the intention of this song was not to create another nice little RnR number that we can all sing along to with our friends, it was never meant to be an easy listen. This song was meant to depict Axls world so it had to be a totally fucked up piece of music, its a challenge to listen to, its almost uncomfortable to listen to and that is all part of it genius.

The song was meant to get inside you head and fuck with your mind so that you may just possibly understand the fucked up world of the mind that created it.

If you dismiss this song, then to do the above is too much of a challenge and I suggest that you "Fuck off and go buy something from the new age section"

"My World" was years ahead of its time, is better than anything Trent Reznor had done up to that point, and is quite frankly a fucking masterpiece

Sorry but i have to disagree

The song is just crap

Its embarrassing too

U just finish the beautiful 'Don't cry' and this awful noise explodes from your cd player - the amount of times i have forgotten it comes next and have had to dart across the room to switch it off

Its rubbish and shouldn't be on the album

Roll Eyes

That cliched line is used far too often - it sounds hollow and desperate. 'My world' is not challenging - its just bad

Being better than Trent Reznor is really no great achievement.....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 03:59:18 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 04:01:51 PM »

Like I said, the song is meant to be uncomfortable to listen to, I am rarely in the right mood to listen, but that doesn't make it crap.
madagas
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 04:10:50 PM »

Although I thought it should have been a hidden track or just a b-side to a single, it clearly is an intelligently written song, lyric wise. Axl is a crazy fucker. The music is just straight electronic industrial. I wouldn't want an album of songs like that but I dig it... Wink some of you may laugh at this, but I prefer it to Don't Cry (the sappiest hair metalist piece of shit ever done by Gnr).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 04:15:19 PM by madagas » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 04:14:19 PM »

People like Johnny Cash might have disagreed. Go listen to his cover of "Hurt".

It's obvious that Axl was already interested in industrial music back in 1991 when the rest of the hard rock world were talking about Skid Row and Warrant.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 04:20:01 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the song,but it's really original. In fact,it can't be placed in any category: it's not really hip-hop,not really electronic or industrial,and definetly NOT Rock n' Roll.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 04:23:11 PM »

I can't stand people who bash My World!!! So what if it's not the best song off Illusion II, 13 great songs out of 14 is fucking good for any album!! Go buy your shitty music today and your lucky if you can enjoy more than two songs. You wanna know what shitty music is? listend to Boy George and then maybe you'll enjoy songs like My World

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »

I can't stand people who bash My World!!! So what if it's not the best song off Illusion II, 13 great songs out of 14 is fucking good for any album!! Go buy your shitty music today and your lucky if you can enjoy more than two songs. You wanna know what shitty music is? listend to Boy George and then maybe you'll enjoy songs like My World

Damn I didn't know other people couldn't have opinions. Thanks for making that clear.

I don't fucking hate the song, and I can even stand to listen sometimes, but just because there are worse songs doesn't mean it's a good song. (If you have to listen to songs that are worse to make it seem better, that is a bad song.)

And as for UYI II, no one said anything about it being a bad album...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 04:36:14 PM by Imfuckincrazy » Logged

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
JustUsOwls
Headliner

Since I Don't Have You

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 04:32:48 PM »

Hahaha

I can't believe this guy's excuse for My World sucking is "Well, It was meant to suck, that's genius!"

People buy music so they can like it because it's good. People aren't dumb enough to like it because "it was meant to suck."
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 04:48:07 PM »

What to say? The people not digging this song have been delayed in the real world. How many times have they hit and missed? Wink

Joking aside. I like songs like My World and Silk Worms a whole lot more than for example Bad Apples which is really unoriginal and frankly just boring. An a bit more industrial evolvement of the GNR-sound seems quite natural to me. Yes Apetite is the greatest record of all time but what happens when you try to repeat that? Listened to Snakepit???

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 04:52:02 PM »

I agree. While I don't think the song's disoriented structure is a symbol to how fucked up Axl's mind was, I think it was meant to show us what is to come, how Axl wanted to move forward with a more industrial sounds. Personally, I love the song.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 04:54:38 PM »

What to say? The people not digging this song have been delayed in the real world. How many times have they hit and missed? Wink

Joking aside. I like songs like My World and Silk Worms a whole lot more than for example Bad Apples which is really unoriginal and frankly just boring. An a bit more industrial evolvement of the GNR-sound seems quite natural to me. Yes Apetite is the greatest record of all time but what happens when you try to repeat that? Listened to Snakepit???

Sillything you are right! There will never be an album like AFD, we know it, Axl knows it!

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »

I always thought this "song" was just a joke by Axl, I never gave it the importance as to hate it or anything. I mean the sex sounds rocked my cock so I didnt care much  beer
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 05:30:24 PM »

a joke??? oh yeah and here is the perfect exemple of how ruining what could have been one of the greatest record of all time! "My world" totally killed the use your illusion 2 album! Without "my world", it would have been considered nearly as fantastic as Appetite. Sorry "my world" is not a joke, this is a MISTAKE. even worst, this is a musical crime. That song killed the whole album.
As much as I love Guns n' Roses, "my world" is the worst piece of shit that I have ever heard in my life. I'm ashamed that my favourite band put that song on an album. How did GEFFEN accept that horrible song? This is a shame.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 05:30:58 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 05:48:23 PM »

People like Johnny Cash might have disagreed. Go listen to his cover of "Hurt".

It's obvious that Axl was already interested in industrial music back in 1991 when the rest of the hard rock world were talking about Skid Row and Warrant.

/jarmo

I don't like Industrial music too much and never got into Nine Inch Nails, always thought "Hurt" was a decent song but never gave it much thought because I dismissed it as coming from the point of view of a fucked up drug addict and couldn't identify with it much.

But since you mentioned Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt", wow...that is the best cover song of all time in my opinion. The emotion in that song is just brilliant. It helps you see the song in a whole new light (from an old man who was dying and looking back on his life),

That is exactly why people should do cover songs (who wants to just do something the same as the original).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 05:53:18 PM by JamieG » Logged
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 05:53:45 PM »

A joke?

I don't think that Axl meant it as a joke, but if it makes you feel better to think so, go right ahead. But if you're a serious band, you don't put bad songs on an album intentionally, as a joke.

The song ruins the album. As 'Izzy' said, you finish listening to Don't Cry, and then that song comes on... I just cringe. nervous And when I don't change the song past it quick enough, I'm almost afraid to listen to the album. The song is horrible.

I don't hate the song, and I wouldn't say that it's "the worst piece of shit I've ever heard," but it is truly a bad song. (Okay, maybe I do hate it just a little bit... or even a lot.)

It's not the worst song ever, but by Guns N' Roses, it is. That song is way different from what I expected from GN'R. It just doesn't live up to the awesomeness of GN'R. no

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 05:59:51 PM »

U just finish the beautiful 'Don't cry' and this awful noise explodes from your cd player - the amount of times i have forgotten it comes next and have had to dart across the room to switch it off

Happens all the time normally i go for a smoke outside, i fail to see it's point it's no masterpiece and if it is ahead of it's time i wanna be dead by the time that music has caught up with it's time i mean if that's the way music is going hell give me a time machine and take me to the 80s
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »

I agree

It's total wank.

Don't cry..... then Bang...  confused

Its by far the worst song i have ever..... well heard... ever
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »

Happens all the time normally i go for a smoke outside, i fail to see it's point it's no masterpiece and if it is ahead of it's time i wanna be dead by the time that music has caught up with it's time i mean if that's the way music is going hell give me a time machine and take me to the 80s

Amen to that. If thats the music of the future..... nervous

It just annoys me that ur listening to estranged,you could be mine and then don't cry and then suddenly this noise hits you - its an awful song but the fact you have had three true masterpieces before only hammers it home.

UYI 2 is my favourite album of all time and it pisses me off i have to be watching the clock throughout Don't cry to ensure the whole vibe of the album isn't destroyed by it

The song is embarassing - if Axl wanted to do a song about how messed up he is then surely with his ability there is a better way to have achieved that

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Evolution
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 06:22:16 PM »

i like my world it's different which is exactly why i like it!

if in another life i became a film director i would definately use My World as music for a sex scene because it fits a drug filled,fucked up scene perfectly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: