Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  'My World' - If you hate it you are missing the point
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'My World' - If you hate it you are missing the point  (Read 23996 times)
SlashFan
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2004, 10:48:14 PM »

I can totally understand how the 'arrangement' may not be appealing to many...   disturbing even...  But, I agree that it is what it is meant to be

I count myself lucky that I can appreciate its akward shape/structure

HOWEVER there is no way this song is 'crap' or a joke.

Like it or not - it make sense.
The lyrics make sense.
They are expressive and descriptive.
Everything in this song 'fits'.

My Worldu
You wan'da step into my world

You want to understand me

It's a sociopsychotic state of bliss

Psychosis - A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.

socio- (pref.) Society/ Social.  He is not alone in (his) world.  Its a societal.

"our species appears to be suffering from a "global bipolar disorder";  there is collective emotional and mental instability that is effectively a social psychosis. This social psychosis manifests as irrational "bipolar" swings in popular mood, thought and behavior. There are creative upswings... (followed by destructive downswings.)"  - from The Global Bipolar Disorder Hypothesis by J. Adams 1/16/02

the sociopyschotic state of bliss is the 'upswing'

You've been delayed in the real world

delayed means its inevitable that you will join 'his world'...
         you may not be there now... but you are only delayed

How many times have you hit and missed?

He'as asking those who have not yet succumbed to social
         pyschosis... 'how many times have you hit and missed'...
         How many times has shit not worked out for you?  Its only
         a matter of time before those multiple 'misses' take their toll

You cat-scan shows disfiguration

There are signs of the toll that 'life' has taken on you
         If you looked inside your mind you would see the 'disfiguration'
         Using the term cat-scan means that these things are not
         evident  -  perhaps through psychoanalysis or other therapy
         they would be recognized.

I wanna laugh myself to death

After going it though it himself he can see from the other side
         how ridiculous it is to deny the inevitable.    

With a misfired synapse
with a bent configuration

syn?apse - The junction across which a nerve impulse passes from an axon terminal to a neuron, muscle cell, or gland cell.

"bent configuration" - the junction - the passage is 'bent' hence the misfiring (of impulses)  

I'll hold the line while you gasp for breath

being deprive of oxygen causes brain damage
        helping you along to what  the inevitable  
        (remember you only been delayed)

You wanna talk to me
So talk to me
You wanna talk to me [7 times]
You can't talk to me

You can't communicate effectively with him in 'his world'

You don't understand your sex
You ain't been mindfucked yet

You haven't sustained sufficient damage to relate - yet
        See again the inevitability of crossing over into (his) world

The part about not understanding 'your sex' can be simply
        translated to understanding your self
        Our most universal expression of who we are is our gender.
        Evidence by impulse to first identify ourselves as male or female.
        Example: Whats the first information you exchange with an
        anonymous person on the net?

Let's do it [3 times]
Oh my distorted smile

Guess what I'm doing now

The sounds are obviously of one having sex.  
         Lets do it.  
         Join me.
         I'm gonna help you along this journey.
         Sexual intercourse is physically the most intimate one
         person can become with another.  The sex could be
         symbolic of that 'mind fuck'...   Letting one in your mind.
         Think of it as taking the 'red pill' in the matrix
          Sex is often a symbol of birth
          There are many similarities between intercourse and childbirth
          One of which is the woman's breathing/moaning - which we hear here.
          Again - an entry into (his) world - a birth.  A merging.

Oh my distorted smile.
           Satisfaction of having one join him...
           In one who will now understand him...
          Distorted by the pain of knowing that now you will share his affliction.

okay, whatever
my interpretation is just that - it can be interpreted/understood differently by different persons

I've never went though it line by line and analyzed it before...
but what has come to mind as i have went though it like this pretty much
conforms with my prior general understanding of the lyrical content

i'd like to note that the lyrics only metion the 'state of bliss'
yet the 'distorted smile' gives away that there is not complete 'bliss' to be expected in (his) world

in any event i think the lyrics are well written
and the music and effects fit perfectly

Please,we don't really need to know what everthing means.The song is not one of my favorites,but it's ok,it's not really a GN'R song since none of them played anything on it(well besides Axl)but I don't waste my time listening to it no
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2004, 11:53:57 PM »

Please,we don't really need to know what everthing means.The song is not one of my favorites,but it's ok,it's not really a GN'R song since none of them played anything on it(well besides Axl)but I don't waste my time listening to it no

Who is we?  And who said you or anyone else needed to know what everything means.
I shared my interpretation and the meanings of some of the words.  That's a problem?  Roll Eyes

Hey this is an internet message board.
It exists for the purpose of discussion.
Specifically discussion relating to Guns N' Roses.
If I want to share my thoughts about a Guns N' Roses song on a Guns N' Roses message board - then I will.  

There are some who will appreciate it, and there are some who won't.  
The latter are not going discourage me.  
If I feel that I have something worthwhile to share that some of the other forum members may enjoy - I'm going to share it.  Not only to share my thoughts - but to be encouragement to others who want to share thier thoughts.

I encourage discussion - much like I did in my previous post in this thread.
I was pleased when I came back and read unoturbo's post:
     "The lyrics do make sense and you can certainly argue that they are good lyrics"

And even though he didn't stop calling it "shite" and "crap" he did so with good humour.
     "That's a very abstract way to analyse a song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Grin

and ultimately he expressed why he doesn't like the song:
     "I can't stand the actual tune so I'd hate it no matter what"

It's called a discussion.
One which you SlashRose chose to take part in.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 11:57:40 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
SlashFan
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2004, 12:32:44 AM »

Who is we?  And who said you or anyone else needed to know what everything means.
I shared my interpretation and the meanings of some of the words.  That's a problem?  Roll Eyes

Hey this is an internet message board.
It exists for the purpose of discussion.
Specifically discussion relating to Guns N' Roses.
If I want to share my thoughts about a Guns N' Roses song on a Guns N' Roses message board - then I will.  

There are some who will appreciate it, and there are some who won't.  
The latter are not going discourage me.  
If I feel that I have something worthwhile to share that some of the other forum members may enjoy - I'm going to share it.  Not only to share my thoughts - but to be encouragement to others who want to share thier thoughts.

I encourage discussion - much like I did in my previous post in this thread.
I was pleased when I came back and read unoturbo's post:
     "The lyrics do make sense and you can certainly argue that they are good lyrics"

And even though he didn't stop calling it "shite" and "crap" he did so with good humour.
     "That's a very abstract way to analyse a song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Grin

and ultimately he expressed why he doesn't like the song:
     "I can't stand the actual tune so I'd hate it no matter what"

It's called a discussion.
One which you SlashRose chose to take part in.

Sure whatever you say,I really don't give a fuck,it's not like anyone here cares what anyone else has to say,I know I sure as hell don't and besides I didn't and don't care what you say,it's all crap,even what I write on here is crap,so is everything anyone writes. yes
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 12:35:53 AM by Slash Rose » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2004, 12:49:45 AM »

it's not like anyone here cares what anyone else has to say,

and yet here you are - reading and posting
SlashFan
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2004, 12:58:12 AM »

it's not like anyone here cares what anyone else has to say,

and yet here you are - reading and posting

The only reason I post on here is because I am bored Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 01:00:09 AM by Slash Rose » Logged
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2004, 01:37:17 AM »

They song may not be crap (pretty close though) but it doesnt fit on the album and I think it does take alot away from UYI II

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2004, 09:53:52 AM »

What ruined UYI 2 is not My World. What does is the utter amateurish, elementary track called Get In The Ring. What a fucking piece of shit shallow bully song that is. Shotgun blues is also one of the albums lowpoints that keep it from being a Masterpiece.

And you........You can suck my ass............I think your soooo low class! hihi

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2004, 04:56:56 PM »

Rock n roll could be AC/DC and that's great! It's partymusic and we need that. just drink beers and booze and talk about women and minoritygroups in degrading manor whit our friends. Maybe go to a GNR show and shout "Fuck that nigger!" when we hear Martin Luther King in Madagasqar. Just realax from work and don't mind about intellectual shit.
But for me not even Apetite was an tits and ass kind of record. It was not just music, smoking dope and getting stupid, which is fun. That heartfelt emotion that got right to me was not about that, at all. Is My Michelle and Rocket Queen party songs? Really? I do too very much enjoy hanging out with my friends drinking listening to them( I'm drunk now). But if you listen to them, or rather read the lyrics? Welcom to the jungle? is that a party song?

Lyrical wise My Word is a natural progress and the music goes along whit it.

I think sometimes people are afraid of feeling stupid when facing artsy stuff. I don't think you have to be talented to appreciate talent ( I'm not) But nevertheless you have to aquire a taste of some refinement to fullly open your mind to certain art. And a shed is never just a shed and you can polish a turd

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
gezm
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2004, 05:14:26 PM »

well guys its the worst guns n roses song ever wait axl song  ok
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2004, 05:27:33 PM »

Lyrical wise My Word is a natural progress and the music goes along whit it.

I think sometimes people are afraid of feeling stupid when facing artsy stuff. I don't think you have to be talented to appreciate talent ( I'm not) But nevertheless you have to aquire a taste of some refinement to fullly open your mind to certain art. And a shed is never just a shed and you can polish a turd

ok
nice to hear others expressing appreciation and understanding of Axl's song.
oh.. yeah... that's right it is Axl's song.  Thank you for pointing that out.  I wouldn't expect such a progressive visionary work of art from most of the other past members!  Grin
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2004, 05:47:23 PM »

i think the purpose of music is whatever you want it to be.if someone wants to make a "artsy" song how can they be considered dumb?it's an expression of himself.

I'm sick of artsy crap and jerks who are full of themselves enough to think that I will care. Write stuff that is fun. And fun as hell.

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2004, 06:50:04 PM »

One of my fav all time Axl rants.

" Ohhh, Axl, cool, metal dude, rock-n-roll, party, cocaine, yeah...... I AIN'T HERE FOR THAT !! ...."
"....But see for me.....it ain't about doing fuckin cocaine. It ain't about how much vodka I drink, or how much I can drink someone under the table! It ain't about what a "macho man/rock-n-roller" I can be!
That shit don't work no more! That's great for little kids, fuckin bullshit! But, it don't work no more in the real world, not for my ass! I can't come up here and go "Yeah, I'm bad. I'm rock-n-roll, we're doing this rock & roll thing." If my life is falling apart......

I can't, FAKE it NO MORE! Just because my family or my record company tells me I should(fake it) so everybody can be happy or make money....YEAH!!! SUCK MY DICK!!

You know it never ceases to amaze me ........when you, are up here and you look out over the crowd, and you can always find usually 18-25 year old's .....real pot smoking, judgemental, rock-n-rollin, fuckheads!... You say I don't know I'm cool and shit. And I don't know who those GNR think they are cool and shit, but I'm cool.'
WELL, IT AIN'T ABOUT ME BEING COOL! IT AIN'T ABOUT YOU BEING COOL! But, what were doing here tonight is pretty fuckin, cool.
So, if you come out here to be a critical, judgemental, "FUCK," ya know, I guess that's your fuckin problem. If you want to stand there like James Dean with a fuckin corn cob up your ass, that's cool.
Seems to me you are wasting your own Goddamned time though.
And that's another fuckin problem-we all think we have so much fuckin time you know? We ain't got no Goddamned time to waste at all!!
You want to sit on your ass and think your COOL? You, WILL end up working in a factory til your fuckin 80 years old, then they will rip you off for your fuckin pension!
Meanwhile, I'll get off my fuckin soapbox. I was singing that song (Civil War), and people were going-- "Yeah, OK." But, maybe you are just stoned.
But this is a WAKE-UP call Chicago! Do you know where the fuck you are? Wake up!! It, s time to die!!!!"

I enjoy hearing Axl express everything that is going on in his head....
yeah, some people only are interested in whats fun...
I like what Axl had to say to fans like this.  peace

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2004, 07:49:22 PM »

One of my fav all time Axl rants.

" Ohhh, Axl, cool, metal dude, rock-n-roll, party, cocaine, yeah...... I AIN'T HERE FOR THAT !! ...."
"....But see for me.....it ain't about doing fuckin cocaine. It ain't about how much vodka I drink, or how much I can drink someone under the table! It ain't about what a "macho man/rock-n-roller" I can be!
That shit don't work no more! That's great for little kids, fuckin bullshit! But, it don't work no more in the real world, not for my ass! I can't come up here and go "Yeah, I'm bad. I'm rock-n-roll, we're doing this rock & roll thing." If my life is falling apart......

Exactly! I was thinking of that rant too.

Anway would be interesting to furhter comment and analyze on the the rift inte gnr fanbase between those who prefer the old guns vs. the new guns. Does those who prefer the old guns (in meaning wanting them to comeback) oppose both the new music and/or lyrics or mostly the music? If that is the case I recognise there love for Guns N Roses as they were. Slash and Duff took the consequences of their estrangement from the bands new musical direction. Which is healthy. Why linger on to someone you love for what they were(musically, mostly in my opinion since I personally regard the lyrics as a logical continuance of "the story") and no longer can be instead of loving them for what they are now or just move allong?

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2004, 10:52:40 PM »

Exactly! I was thinking of that rant too.

Anway would be interesting to furhter comment and analyze on the the rift inte gnr fanbase between those who prefer the old guns vs. the new guns. Does those who prefer the old guns (in meaning wanting them to comeback) oppose both the new music and/or lyrics or mostly the music?If that is the case I recognise there love for Guns N Roses as they were. Slash and Duff took the consequences of their estrangement from the bands new musical direction. Which is healthy. Why linger on to someone you love for what they were (musically, mostly in my opinion since I personally regard the lyrics as a logical continuance of "the story") and no longer can be instead of loving them for what they are now or just move allong?

You make an interesting point.  A lot of the time it seems the only thing that seems to be expressed by those who seem to oppose the new GN'R lineup is that they have issues with Axl (such as blaming him for the breakup of the old band and/or frowning on his continuing with the GN'R name.)

Yet, there are some fans who, putting those issues aside, simply do not like the direction the music has taken.  (A lot of these same fans did not like a large portion of the UYI album material either - Muscially or lyrically.)

I think there are a lot of old school GN'R fans who feel that after AFD GN'R was all 'downhill' and see the new songs since Oh My God as a further departure from what they loved most about GN'R.

This happened with Metallica fans also after the Black Album and especially Load and Reload.  They only want the band to remain like they were in a time past.   Is an artist supposed to cease evolving and even (god forbid) experimenting for fear of offending those who define them a certain way?  

My World being the final track on those albums was very fitting.

btw... I find Madagascar to be a continuation of where the UYI albums left off (lyrically especially).   peace
estranged.1098
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2004, 12:20:46 AM »

It's the year 2004 people, if you don't like My World burn a copy of UYI II without it.

Of course, you must have an original copy to do this legally.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2004, 12:47:18 AM »

"I want to do some stuff on my own, but not for my sense of identity...  I want to do some things like the song My World on Use Your Illusion II. I want to do a project like that with myself and a computer engineer with anyone who wants to be on it - raw expression." ~Axl Rose, 'An Incident To Remember', Hit Parader - April '94 By Caroline Mellon
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2004, 04:46:48 PM »

I don't drink beer, I don't smoke pot. I don't do any of the shit in that rant. I just want to hear some music that is fun. Enjoyable guitar, bass and/or synth with a cool beat.

If there happens to be some sort of a message in a song that is fun and enjoyable (even if it's emotional and slow), great - I don't care. But if you have to make a shit song to get your message accross, just write poetry. Publish it in a book.

If you have to make a shitty song to make a point, I don't want to hear your point. Saying things like "people who hate My World don't get the point" in my opinion seals the fate of My World as a shitty song.

Mr. Rose could have easily had the other guys make a good song for him to go on a self-indulgent rant over. Instead, he decided to "make a point."

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2004, 07:22:10 PM »

I think there are a lot of old school GN'R fans who feel that after AFD GN'R was all 'downhill' and see the new songs since Oh My God as a further departure from what they loved most about GN'R.

This happened with Metallica fans also after the Black Album and especially Load and Reload.  They only want the band to remain like they were in a time past.   Is an artist supposed to cease evolving and even (god forbid) experimenting for fear of offending those who define them a certain way?  

I feel that way about Metallica too. The first four records where great and everything after was absolute sheit! And I'm not at a Metallica messageboard, Certainly not sayig anyone hasn't the right to be here . I'm just wondering what's the fascination after all these years? All the original members but one are gone, we just have a few bootlegs of new material and are divided in two camps love/hate. My World showed direction in things to come and here we are. Is it possible to love Guns N Roses so much that you can't realise you don't love them anymore? Members quit but  fans are asking for Mike Clink ( producer of Slash's Snakpit)

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
Evolution
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2004, 08:18:10 PM »

I don't drink beer, I don't smoke pot. I don't do any of the shit in that rant. I just want to hear some music that is fun. Enjoyable guitar, bass and/or synth with a cool beat.

If there happens to be some sort of a message in a song that is fun and enjoyable (even if it's emotional and slow), great - I don't care. But if you have to make a shit song to get your message accross, just write poetry. Publish it in a book.

If you have to make a shitty song to make a point, I don't want to hear your point. Saying things like "people who hate My World don't get the point" in my opinion seals the fate of My World as a shitty song.

Mr. Rose could have easily had the other guys make a good song for him to go on a self-indulgent rant over. Instead, he decided to "make a point."

Axl has said in the past that he makes music for himself.if anothers like it thats just fine.

so it's not as if he writes his music with pleasing people in mind not all that much.its not as if he owes you a fun party song.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2004, 05:12:52 AM »

My World is kick arse, i've loved it since i can remember.
You either like it or hate it.

I LOVE IT ok yes beer drool rofl hihi Cheesy Wink Smiley Grin smoking

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: