Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 06:42:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR/METALLICA 92 TOUR
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR/METALLICA 92 TOUR  (Read 5456 times)
campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: May 31, 2004, 04:33:42 PM »

how was gnr performance?
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 05:02:20 PM »

http://www.gnrontour.com
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 05:20:20 PM »

I always wanted to get a video with metallica and gnr performance but never could find it to compare and contrast them. Anyone knows if such recording exist with both bands on the same stadium that tour?
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 06:55:19 PM »

Seeing how GN'R were at their peak and Metallica were still somewhat in their right minds musically I'm sure it was a kick ass tour while it lasted.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »

Speaking from personal experience (I was at the Buffalo 7-25-92 show), Faith No More was dreadful as an opener, I think the roadies were still trying to get the sound correct.

Metallica was phenomenal.  Their sound was very similar to what you'd hear on their albums.  Keep in mind, I was 18 and pretty damn drunk.  Since Axl did take his time in between Metallica and GNR's performance, there was plenty of time to sober up.  

GNR was the best by far.  Their live sound is different than album, but more emotion in my opinion.  I am close to 30 years old now, but I still remember looking through binoculars from the upper deck amazed at the athletic appearance of this chain-smoking former drug user.  Axl rules.  

Not to get off topic, but that does address the other points made about image in different threads.  Axl and the band's appearance will influence how popular GNR becomes again.  This is even more true the younger the masses.  Sorry. Sad

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 07:40:08 PM »

I was at the Foxboro show.  It was UFB.  I even enjoyed Faith No More.  Best Concert Ever, for me, and I've been to quite a few of them.  Both bands were at the top of their game.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
badapple81
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 08:21:50 PM »

GNR touring the UYI albums and Metallica their black album at the same show.. what could be better?!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »

The very same day I landed in America as a Senior foreign exchange student from Madrid, GNR was playing in Columbia, S.C That was Sept 5th 1992 if I'm correct. Too bad back then we didn't have internet or anything like it. I didn't find out GNR had played a few miles away from me until a couple of days later when I saw everybody at school wearing the GNR/Metallica tour T-shirt. Sad

Bu yeah, that would've been a hell of a show!!

freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 10:23:46 PM »

I seen them in pittsburgh (3 rivers stadium). The best show I have ever seen. Both bands were huge at the time and GNR was awesome. People went nuts when they came out on stage, the energy level was crazy. That is why for us "older" fans, what axl is doing today is really hard to understand. How do you go from being the biggest, the best, to just quitting? I am going to latrobe pa 7/31/04 to see velvet revolver. Cant wait to bring back some old memories of slash, duff, and matt on stage!
kujo722
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 07:34:48 AM »

The very same day I landed in America as a Senior foreign exchange student from Madrid, GNR was playing in Columbia, S.C That was Sept 5th 1992 if I'm correct. Too bad back then we didn't have internet or anything like it. I didn't find out GNR had played a few miles away from me until a couple of days later when I saw everybody at school wearing the GNR/Metallica tour T-shirt. Sad

September 7, 1992 to be exact. That was the show I went to. Faith No More were great. Metallica kicked ass and when GnR finally decided to come out they kicked ass too. A great show for only $32.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 02:55:52 PM »

September 7, 1992 to be exact. That was the show I went to. Faith No More were great. Metallica kicked ass and when GnR finally decided to come out they kicked ass too. A great show for only $32.

My friends told me FNM played a little bit over 45 minutes. Metallica's highlight of the night was "one". When GNR hit the stage, people were already a bit tired, hence it took a while to get the crowd going again. If I'm not mistaken, that was the first and last time GNR has played in S.C.
madagas
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 03:17:35 PM »

I was at the Columbia SC show. Both bands were in top form. I also saw the Noblesville In show in 1991, an LA Forum show, two shows in Birmingham Al-one at a muddy race track, and Chapel Hill NC at the Dean Dome in late 92 or even 93. Yea, Gnr was really dead and unpopular in 92-93-Nirvana just killed them off! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tell that to the 15,000 or so college kids rocking their ass off at the Dean Dome. Gnr killed Gnr, not Nirvana or the music press or anyone else. Just like Bonham's death killed Led Zep, not the Sex Pistols or the Clash or punk. All that shit is stuff created by the media. In the end fans buy records and fans buy concert tix and Gnr could go head to head with Nirvana, U2 or anyone during that timeframe, musically and popularity wise.
kujo722
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 03:29:57 PM »

I was at the Dean Dome on April 16, 1993 also. Still the greatest concert that I've ever seen. Blind Melon were amazing. Shannon Hoon had fantastic stage presence. Then after the traditional long delay Guns came out and just blew everyone away. The Dean Dome was so loud with the crowd singing along that half the time we couldn't hear the band. An amazing evening.

The Metallica/Faith No More tour was the last time that GnR played in SC. The crowd was pretty exhausted by the time GnR hit the stage around 11:30 but after a song or two we were back up on our feet again until about 2:30 in the morning when Paradise City ended and they set off the fireworks.
madagas
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 03:41:16 PM »

Kujo, didn't Axl jump in the crowd in Chapel Hill during the first song? Also, I remember them playing the Garden and it was incredible. That was my favorite Gnr show as well. Crowd was great. So, 1993, in one of the most, if not the most, alternative college rock town in the nation at the time, Gnr dominated. Yea, again, they were really over. Arggghh, that alternative rock/Nirvana shit really pisses me off! Anyhow, that was the skin and bones tour-just the band-no backgound singers and bullshit, straight rock. beer
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 11:17:41 PM »

In Toronto - i thought Faith No More stole the show - Patton jumped in the snake pit and was saying "Give it to me in the ass Kirk....oh yeah f*ck me Axl...yeah right there etc" (This was done in fun as you couldn't see him) It was hilarious...They were announcing that the keyboard player (of FNM) was going to marry a Much Music VJ and really put on an amazing performance.  GNR lit a Nirvana baseball cap on fire and all acts played solid.... A great show......

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 11:29:09 PM »

Let's put it this way:  Who closed the show out every night? hihi  That's right.  GNR did.  Now, it was billed as a co headlining tour, but we all know who the real headliners were. ok

dsbnh369
Opening Act

The BEST drummer Gnr had... Oh yes.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 12:55:58 AM »

The one show I went to was rather amazing. Metallica as always delivered with great energy, I was quite sober at this show and every show of theirs' I've been to and I can't say they sound like they do in the albums, but hey... Powerful stuff live and James Hetfield had an incredible amount of power on stage, Kirk wasn't screwing up either and the energy in the band was strong.

Guns N Roses were amazing as well, no rants/tantrums (which I have always thought is damn awesome every now and then as it is rock n roll) and Axl was as energatic as he was at the time. Slash as always took his time playing and blowing the roof of the place. Both bands style contrasted greatly (yet made sense considering the topics and moods) and yet fit in so well. They had and I believe still do a lot of fans in common so tons of people were excited to just be there. I took some photos that I am looking for but can't seem to find now, none too good though and I tried to not get into issues with security about it so I opted for just a few. Great show overall.
dsbnh369
Opening Act

The BEST drummer Gnr had... Oh yes.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 01:03:27 AM »

Let's put it this way:  Who closed the show out every night? hihi  That's right.  GNR did.  Now, it was billed as a co headlining tour, but we all know who the real headliners were. ok

Actually, Metallica tends to start their shows first, from my experience, to accomodate whoever else they are touring with. Even recently they started some shows before other bands. I am guessing it had more to do with the more laid back approach of GNR then a headline issue. Ttheir show is best taken in when one is at full strength so the laid back yet energetic mood of GNR probably made more sense towards the closer of the show...
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 02:05:39 AM »

I'm not a Metallica fan really. But think of it if they were to follow GnR how late would those concerts run. GnR was/is always late to stage. Those shows might not end to sunup if GnR wasnt ending the show

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
kujo722
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 07:40:18 AM »

Kujo, didn't Axl jump in the crowd in Chapel Hill during the first song? Also, I remember them playing the Garden and it was incredible. That was my favorite Gnr show as well. Crowd was great. So, 1993, in one of the most, if not the most, alternative college rock town in the nation at the time, Gnr dominated. Yea, again, they were really over. Arggghh, that alternative rock/Nirvana shit really pisses me off! Anyhow, that was the skin and bones tour-just the band-no backgound singers and bullshit, straight rock. beer

Yeah, they opened with "It's So Easy" and about two minutes into the show Axl dove into the crowd to break up a fight. Security got Axl back on stage and he stormed off, yet the band played on. They finished the song and stood there looking at each other for a minute before Axl came back out and they kicked into Mr. Brownstone.
Axl was actually in a great mood that night. He was cracking jokes and screwing around with the lyrics all evening. I remember during the acoustic set a delivery guy from Dominoes Pizza comes out on stage and Axl starts tossing Pizza boxes and sodas into the crowd. I was in the Air Force at the time and I saw alot of concerts at the Dean Dome in that time, that building was never so electric as it was that night.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: