Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 01:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Contraband a better album if Axl was on vocals?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contraband a better album if Axl was on vocals?  (Read 5311 times)
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« on: June 02, 2004, 09:11:29 AM »

Listened to Contraband yet? Did you really like it? Any songs on there that you would like to have heard Axl take a crack at?

As for me...

I think the album is "okay" at best. It's pretty raw (which seems to be the characteristic the band is promoting the most) but I think it falls flat. Although they're not "horrible", the guitar riffs are forgettable and the vocals unimpressive. The arrangements are alright (Headspace, Set Me Free and Sucker Train Blues being the best arranged) and some of Duff's bass lines keep your head nodding (certainly not banging though), however, all in all the album does not represent anything close to the efforts made by these same musicians back in their respective past band glory days.

As for Axl vocals...Fall to Pieces would be interesting coming from his mouth, but just like any of the Snakepit albums, it would take more than Axl to save this mediocre-at-best album.

Just some thoughts.  peace

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
MIIKA
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 09:45:12 AM »

I`ve heard few songs...And i`m not very impressed. Kind of boring. Duff and Slash looks great!.....that`s one positive thing.
And yes, Contraband would sound better with Axl on vocals.
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 11:04:39 AM »

Of course... what kind of question is this?  then it would be Guns n Roses.....
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 11:20:25 AM »

I think it would be weird hearing Axl sing those songs as his lyric writing is way different(I like it more)....So to answer the question no I don't think it would be better because I expect more from Axl.

On a side note Contraband is a killer album from what I have heard....I only listened to studio versions of the songs I heard live.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 11:41:08 AM »

I like what I've heard and no I wouldn't want Axl's vocals on it....well, maybe Axl back in the day...but not now...that's okay peace
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 11:44:55 AM »

The music that i've heard from VR does not sound like GN'R exept for a couple Slash solos, but Snakepit also had GN'R like solos. Axl would sound like shit on Slither and Set Me Free. I'm actualy hoping Axl does that shit with Pink yes

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 01:07:20 PM »

I have to say I prefer Axl's lyrics to Scotts but I dont think any song will suit Axl on the album I do love the album though and Axl of course yes

EEEERRRR Little boy
SINSHINE
VIP

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 01:27:17 PM »

My point is...that, no, it wouldn't be Guns N' Roses even if Axl sang on it. As others have pointed out, these songs are not GNR calibur material (both in music and especially lyrics). Be that as it may, my question is more of a "what if" you heard Axl's voice instead of Scott's. I don't think it would make for a better album, honestly, because I don't think it's a very well written album. Not only did GN'R put on killer performances, the other half of their success came from brilliant writing. This falls flat.

When all is said and done this album is a semi-solid rock album. Is it going to be a huge hit...I don't think so (in fact I have a bet going with a friend of mine that Chinese Democracy will certainly sell more copies within a years time than Contraband). This album, although thrown together, I think, too quickly, tries to be more than what it is. Slash and Duff and Matt know that it's not going to be any kind of revolution like the original GNR was, but they're certainly hoping for a miracle here and just try to downplay it with comments that suggest that only true rock n' roll fans will like this (as if rock n' roll is completely underground nowadays...which, in part, is true).

Not a bad album, but certainly not worth my $15 bucks.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 01:58:09 PM »

When (if) CD comes out you will almost certainly be able to say "Boy, wouldn't the album have been better if they had Slash, Duff and Matt playing the instruments."   hihi  I can hear it now.

-TyRod-
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 02:12:41 PM »

Like ppl already mentioned,
I don?t think Contraband a better album if Axl was on vocals.

If Axl would be able to write more than a few syllables in that short period of time Scot was given is questionable.

IMO Scot did amazingly good job, considering. Still a bit longer recording process would have done better than harm. Sad

On the condition he was allowed plenty of time, hmm, it?s would be something else. But it?s wouldn?t be what Contraband aimed for. VR is VR.

I wanna hear newGNR, SOONer. drool
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 02:17:05 PM by ppbebe » Logged
SINSHINE
VIP

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 02:51:52 PM »

When (if) CD comes out you will almost certainly be able to say "Boy, wouldn't the album have been better if they had Slash, Duff and Matt playing the instruments."   hihi  I can hear it now.

-TyRod-

Uh...actually...no...no, not really. As far as I'm concerned Robin can pick up the same guitar as Slash and play the same notes and when recorded in a studio it will sound exactely the same. We really have no idea how much (if any) the other "hires" wrote for CD, but if style of playing (or writing ability) is what you're commenting on, then I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the new blood brings to the table. However, it appears that Slash and old crew seem to have peaked creatively in their writing back in the 80s if the riffs on Contraband are a reflection of them "trying their best." Then again, call a spade a spade...the whole VR package wasn't interested in writing quality material...they just wanted to beat Axl to the punch, that's all.

blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 03:45:03 PM »

Then again, call a spade a spade...the whole VR package wasn't interested in writing quality material...they just wanted to beat Axl to the punch, that's all.

That's purest testicles.  beer

Contraband is a kickass album, and I'm afraid songs like You Got No Right (better than most of the UYI stuff) would suck if Axl had sung them.

VR is VR. GN'R were GN'R. Each band cannot replicate one another. NuGN'R can't recapture the old guys, and VR can't recapture vintage GN'R either.

The closest anyone's done to doing a good job of the old stuff is the Slash/Izzy/Steven or Slash/Izzy/Duff/Matt jam bands we've seen.

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 04:44:11 PM »

Listened to Contraband yet? Did you really like it? Any songs on there that you would like to have heard Axl take a crack at?

As for me...

I think the album is "okay" at best. It's pretty raw (which seems to be the characteristic the band is promoting the most) but I think it falls flat. Although they're not "horrible", the guitar riffs are forgettable and the vocals unimpressive. The arrangements are alright (Headspace, Set Me Free and Sucker Train Blues being the best arranged) and some of Duff's bass lines keep your head nodding (certainly not banging though), however, all in all the album does not represent anything close to the efforts made by these same musicians back in their respective past band glory days.

As for Axl vocals...Fall to Pieces would be interesting coming from his mouth, but just like any of the Snakepit albums, it would take more than Axl to save this mediocre-at-best album.

Just some thoughts.  peace

Contraband sounds alot more STP than gnr, in my opinion. Therefore the addition of Axl Rose would not make too much of a difference

For me, I will wait until VR's Greatest Hits album come out in 5-10 years before I buy anything, unless, of course, Weiland manages to harness and hone his talents during that time
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 06:11:49 PM »

Havent heard much of Contrband, but agree it has more of an STP feel to it than a GNR one. But they have a great PR machine behind it, and it will probably sell decent....shit, anything remotely rock-n-roll will sell nowadays, b/c there's so little of it. And I doubt it would be better with Axl, b/c his lyrical stylings wouldnt fit the content (unless he wrote them, which would make it a GNR record !)

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 06:43:39 PM »

no it would still be a disapointment
the lryics would also still suck
axl wouldnt write lyrics like that
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:44:25 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »

Contraband defenitly sounds more stp than GNR for sure, and while this album is not the greatest thing i have heard, it defeintly is better than most bullshit rock out there today, Axl on vocals for this album would not work cause these lyrics just dont go with axl, the lyrics on most part suck, and the riffs while there are some good ones they are not as good as the riffs on gnr songs, i do think though that VR is gonna be one hell of an interesting ride to watch, cause i do think there definetly more rock n roll then alot of so called rock bands out there today.  hell VR could fall apart any day with weiland's shit.  He needs to get his shit together cause he has a golden oppurtunity right now with VR. ANd slash solos are still slash solos guys and while i doubt slash has another solo in him like the one in november rain or estranged or sweet child, i do like them.  so well have to wait n see how contraband does when it comes out

peace peace

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: