Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If the songs we have heard are the best on CD would u be happy?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If the songs we have heard are the best on CD would u be happy?  (Read 14930 times)
TheMole
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »

Hmmm, might just specify why I think the new songs aren't the best thing since sliced bread (or appetite or uyi for that matter).

I'll list them in ascending order of quality (in my humble opinion ofcourse):

The songs I really don't like much:
 - Chinese Democracy: doesn't really flow, feels kind of forced together, if you know what I mean.
 - IRS: Simple melody and chord structure, chorus not catchy, drum computer thing sucks ass (hope that's gone on the album), love the solo though!
 - CITR: Not really what I'm looking for in a GNR song, somewhat boring actually. Kinda like "So Fine", although that at least had the novelty of having Duff on vocals.

The songs I can appreciate:
  - The Blues: sounds like something from UYI, a lot actually. So still not on par with AFD, but at least there's a common thread in the story now. Chorus is pretty good but the 'whiney' guitar riff is annoying.
  - Madagascar: Nice epic song, although the synth brass sounds too 80's for me, I would've loved it if this part had been played on piano (like a fan once did, was posted in appetite for collection a while ago if memory serves correct). All in all a very decent song, sauf the movie quotes of course, but that has always been an Axl thing, so hey...

The songs I like a lot:
  - There Was A Time: great guitar work, very good verse melody, nice structure, ass kickingly cool break ("There was a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime" part), decent bridge. Too bad about the chorus though, that could use some work. I think a cleaner studio version might fix that, but I'm not entirely sure about that.
  - Better: Great rocksong, has a really modern vibe to it without sounding intentionally "nu". Fan-tas-tic lead guitar work. The only thing that I really despise about this song is the in- and outro. Those are really horrible, Axl sounds like a eunich there.

General remarks:
  I love the new lead style and am actually impressed by the lead guitar work on the leaks. And this is comming from a major slashhead, so don't take that lightly. I still cringe when people call Finck the next Slash though. Robin, although an obviously talented player, is nowhere near the bluesrock player Slash is. Finck actually strikes me more as the next Izzy though: his lead work is nothing spectacular or particularly inspiring, but he has the songwriting skills and his chops are adequate enough to get by with the occasional lead spot. I really hope Axl will play out the Finck card like that and integrate bbf (who still has to convince me like bucket did) into the actual band and the songwriting process. Tommy and Fortus play their parts well, no remarks there. I dunno about Brain yet, loved his Primus work, but I don't know if he can thrive like he should in a plain old rock and roll setting like GNR is, I get the impression he gets bored by it. But then again, there's not much Brain on the leaks (if any at all, who knows), so maybe his studio work in CD will convince me.

As I've said, I'm a real Slashhead and I'm very open about that, but I'm also open and honest about my opinions about the new band. I hope the usual "defenders" will take it for what it's worth.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2006, 05:56:31 PM »

The only salvation that this album has so far in my opinion is TWAT.
That song will be a classic.

BUT every GNR record has had 3-4 classic songs. Madagascar is great as well & Better is good & IRS is good. But GNR is going to need to pull off a couple of more surprises in their new album to make the 15 years of waiting well-worth it.

I still believe that the 1st single & most of the hit songs on these new GNR records are songs we have not heard yet.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2006, 05:58:25 PM »

Ive always felt GNR fans overrated AFD to a degree.

to say THe BLues isnt better than anything off Appetite to me is not true,

ITs better than OUt Ta Get me,Think About you, mY mIChelle, ANything Goes, You're Crazy by far in my opinion.

I like it better than Its So easy,Nightrain,PC and Brownstone as well.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
TheMole
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

Ive always felt GNR fans overrated AFD to a degree.
to say THe BLues isnt better than anything off Appetite to me is not true,
ITs better than OUt Ta Get me,Think About you, mY mIChelle, ANything Goes, You're Crazy by far in my opinion.
I like it better than Its So easy,Nightrain,PC and Brownstone as well.

I'll disregard that last statement Wink.
I have to correct myself though. I didn't mean to imply that "The Blues" is inferior to every single song an AFD, which I suppose might be understood from my previous post. It was more of a "if you pick a random song from AFD, odds are more than 1 in 2 that the AFD wong will be better than 'The Blues'" kinda remark, I guess. I think My Michelle and Anything goes are better than The Blues for instance. Easy, Nightrain, PC and Browstone whipe the floor with it, Think About You and You're Crazy are on my "skip list", and The Blues won't be, I can tell you that right now. So yeah, not on par with AFD material has been stretched a bit, but I think the general gist should be obvious now.
caiman
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2006, 06:09:57 PM »

no
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »

I think Slither, in terms of a "rock song" is better then all the leaks.? Can't compare it to madagascar or twat or CITR or the blues, but it totally destroys CD, IRS and Better.? And I"m not a huge VR fan, far from it.? But that one song is just amazing, esp in comparison to the rock leaks we've heard.

ROTFLMFAO  rofl

Better takes a huge steaming cow pattie turd on Slither.

peace

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
ben9785
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »

From what we've heard so far, and what they say about the 'big guns' being held back, if this is really the case, CD is going to be one epic album

Better - Even if there are better songs, this is a good single, a fairly straightforward hard rock, but doesn't sound dated, has the industrial elements etc. It's a good song to bring back old GNR fans in as well as settle them into the modern GNR sound, and at the same time, considering the resurge in popularity of rock, whether it is garage rock or indie or whatever, alot of new younger music fans will like it as well.

Madagascar - What can I say. A big fucking epic. Studio version of this is going to be devastating.

Chinese Democracy - A pretty simple, straight ahead song. Sounds like Nirvana. Killer intro. Can't see why people wouldn't like it.

The Blues - It might take a bit of time to grow but this could be a big hit. Very melodic, catchy, great lyrics. Bit of a "November Rain" kind of vibe but alot more rocking so people would love it.

Rhiad - Haven't heard a clear enough version but it sounds like it has potential.. It sounds like it would work for a soundtrack for a sci fi movie or something.. Pretty evident NIN/industrial influence

I.R.S - Sounds closest to old GNR (from what we heard so far). Killer live, but the studio version should be great. Straightforward rock song, not alot of industrial/electronic sound in this apart from the short drum loops. Older fans would really like this

T.W.A.T - Could be a big single or hit with fans. Very melodic, almost melancholic, great lyrics, has a good balance of softer parts, hard rock, guitar solos all over the place, the end is epic. Fucking amazing song

Catcher in the Rye - Reminds me of the beatles a bit for some reason in parts of it, but this could be a very popular song, and a crossover as well. Very melodic and catchy, fun lyrics, just a great modern rock song yet with a classic feel

So if there are songs that can top these, fuck, i say people better just stand aside because this album is going to be dangerous.

tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2006, 06:55:19 PM »

From what we've heard so far, and what they say about the 'big guns' being held back, if this is really the case, CD is going to be one epic album

Better - Even if there are better songs, this is a good single, a fairly straightforward hard rock, but doesn't sound dated, has the industrial elements etc. It's a good song to bring back old GNR fans in as well as settle them into the modern GNR sound, and at the same time, considering the resurge in popularity of rock, whether it is garage rock or indie or whatever, alot of new younger music fans will like it as well.

Madagascar - What can I say. A big fucking epic. Studio version of this is going to be devastating.

Chinese Democracy - A pretty simple, straight ahead song. Sounds like Nirvana. Killer intro. Can't see why people wouldn't like it.

The Blues - It might take a bit of time to grow but this could be a big hit. Very melodic, catchy, great lyrics. Bit of a "November Rain" kind of vibe but alot more rocking so people would love it.

Rhiad - Haven't heard a clear enough version but it sounds like it has potential.. It sounds like it would work for a soundtrack for a sci fi movie or something.. Pretty evident NIN/industrial influence

I.R.S - Sounds closest to old GNR (from what we heard so far). Killer live, but the studio version should be great. Straightforward rock song, not alot of industrial/electronic sound in this apart from the short drum loops. Older fans would really like this

T.W.A.T - Could be a big single or hit with fans. Very melodic, almost melancholic, great lyrics, has a good balance of softer parts, hard rock, guitar solos all over the place, the end is epic. Fucking amazing song

Catcher in the Rye - Reminds me of the beatles a bit for some reason in parts of it, but this could be a very popular song, and a crossover as well. Very melodic and catchy, fun lyrics, just a great modern rock song yet with a classic feel

So if there are songs that can top these, fuck, i say people better just stand aside because this album is going to be dangerous.

Great fuckin post man. I agree with almost everything you just said.  peace
fixintodie
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2006, 07:21:19 PM »

Its odd, I'm so used to waiting for studio versions of the songs we've already heard that I haven't even wrapped my head around the fact that we can expect 7 or 8 songs we've never heard at all.  Shocked
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2006, 07:23:17 PM »

i wouldn't mind. the stuff we've heard is strong, i love all the leaks and live songs. Axl's still got it.

i can't help but think theres still some unheard gems that well be on the record? that we will all adore once the album comes out ok
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:33:00 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2006, 07:24:51 PM »

I won't judge this albums songs based on crap quality demos. ?When it's out I'll let you know.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Rock the jungle
Rocker

Here Today... GONE TO BARCELONA JODER!!

« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2006, 07:43:12 PM »

mmmmmmmmmm.............    seriously, if that songs are the best of the CD I just wil buy it just because it's guns n' roses...  to be honest .

but first before judge anything have to listen to the final result of the songs that we already know....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2006, 07:56:03 PM »

This is in no way a diss because I Love "The Blues' more than words can describe but I always considered the Blues to be what November Rain wouldve sounded like Minus Slash's Brilliance.

The Blues is still a vocal,melodic and lyrical masterpiece but I always considered it to be what nr would be without slash.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ben9785
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »

Great fuckin post man. I agree with almost everything you just said.  peace

hey thanks man, i hope i didn't seem to biased but honestly, i listen to this stuff alot more than the older GNR material. actually i listen to it more than most of the mp3s on my ipod, and thats about 4GB worth of various music. i spend 1-2 hour bus journeys repeating IRS, Better, The Blues, Catcher in the Rye and Chinese Democracy over and over, and these are just rough demos and live versions.

if there's one criticism i have towards chinese democracy, it's that it's going to make me neglect almost the rest of my cd collection.
TheMole
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2006, 06:13:42 AM »

The Blues is still a vocal,melodic and lyrical masterpiece but I always considered it to be what nr would be without slash.

I guess you could be right, since the only part I don't really like about The Blues is (presumably) Robin's "whiny" guitar work.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2006, 06:46:39 AM »

This is in no way a diss because I Love "The Blues' more than words can describe but I always considered the Blues to be what November Rain wouldve sounded like Minus Slash's Brilliance.

thats ridiculous.  Robin's guitar work and Richards bit at the end is amazing ...   The Finck solo is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever...  I dont see your precious Slash doing anything better.
TheMole
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2006, 07:31:19 AM »

thats ridiculous.  Robin's guitar work and Richards bit at the end is amazing ...   The Finck solo is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever...  I dont see your precious Slash doing anything better.

Listen, I've just about had it with your eternal Finck defending, are you mr. Finck himself or something? I mean, fuck! People can make up their own minds about whether they like Finck's playing or not. There is no need to be condescending about Slash each and every time his name comes up in a comparison. If you really like Finck so much, maybe you should let his music do the talking instead of trying to put down other players to make him look better. Yes, I know, you like Finck, fine! That's your bloody right and no one is going to make you think otherwise, but puh-lease, stop defending him like he was your own son, ffs.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2006, 09:03:41 AM »

Great post.

Rhaid is possibly have to be a song for something sci-fi. It's the only new song we've heard, that I don't like. Maybe it could be tweaked into something atmospheric.

T.W.A.T. is in the same vein/family as Estranged. If you like Estranged, you're gonna love T.W.A.T.

The Blues is a great song, but personally I don't think it's as 'big' as some think. To me, it's no different than a So Fine. It's a small ballad imo. Still a great song tho.

Catcher In The Rye reminds me of a classic rock song. Has a very Beatles meets Queen with Axl Rose on vocals sound to it.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2006, 09:12:33 AM »

Personally I think Rhiad has changed a little from '02. The reason I say this is because they have it listed as an option on the setlist, and yet they still havent played it yet. They have played all the other new songs, bar Prostitute and If The World (If this is even a new song), but those have just been added. I cant see why they wouldnt play Rhiad if it hasnt been changed because people have already heard it, and they have played it in the past. So I'm guessing that the song has changed a little bit, and thats why it hasnt been played yet on the '06 tour.

Just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:52:04 AM by ChineseTwAt » Logged
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »

waiting for "the general", "prostitute", "seven", "sorry", "this i love". hope those are the big guns; among the leaks i only see two songs as true classics: "better" and "catcher"

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: