Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Edmonton Concert Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Edmonton Concert Discussion  (Read 23652 times)
charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »

Edmonton Setlist: I got this from the soundboard with the engineers annotations. Weird seeing 'Scraped' inbetween CD and Jungle.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

Listen to the album again.

Axl was amazing, tho.

no one can play like the bit on the album but i also like djs rendition on the edmonton clip.
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »

I liked what Dj did witht he beginning of the solo.....

For me, this is the best I've ard Axl sing TIL Live.....awesome

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »

Listen to the album again.

Axl was amazing, tho.

I'm not saying he played the same TIL solo note for note from the album.

I meant "he nailed it" as in "it was fantastic". I should have chosen other words, I suppose.

He's obviously not intending to duplicate the actual recorded solo. It seems he intends to make it his own.

My favorite TIL solo so far.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »

I know. I still say the same.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »

And what?  What's your point?  That Robin played the solo beautifully on record?  Well, I agree.  But DJ isn't Robin, and therefore is likely to have his own interpretation of how that solo should be played live, just like Robin had his own interpretation of how to play the solos from the old band.

Ali
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »

And what?  What's your point?  That Robin played the solo beautifully on record?  Well, I agree.  But DJ isn't Robin, and therefore is likely to have his own interpretation of how that solo should be played live, just like Robin had his own interpretation of how to play the solos from the old band.

Ali

Thing is, I can't even recognize the solo.  I'm not saying this just to be rude or anything...

I'm all for him putting his own take on songs, but to the point where you can't even tell what song it is anymore?

No bueno.
Christian
VIP

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »

Sorry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLoVChPJzs&feature=player_embedded
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »

Ali

Thing is, I can't even recognize the solo.  I'm not saying this just to be rude or anything...

I'm all for him putting his own take on songs, but to the point where you can't even tell what song it is anymore?

No bueno.
what he said.

MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »

Ali

No bueno.

The Edmonton solo is the one where I did recognize the solo. It felt like CD's TIL to me. For the first time.

We'll see if it progresses. He's just starting on this ride and he's done phenomenally well with most other songs. If he's not getting it like Robin, and he's doing his best, well then it just shows how great Robin is.

Who knows how many takes it took Robin to get the record's solo. Who knows how good Robin would get it live.

For me, Robin never once got the opening to SCOM right. DJ nails it.

I'm one who likes Bumble over Bucket, and DJ over Robin. Others disagree. That's cool. In the end though, they are all a part of Chinese Democracy. It's all the same show, just different seasons. Like a TV seres.

I don't ever see this series Jumping The Shark!

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Ali
Legend

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Well, I can recognize the solo, and it's just a fresh take on it.  I'll say it one more time:  DJ is not Robin.  Unless he is instructed to play the solos note for note, then I'm all for him doing something different.  To say otherwise is a bit naive in my opinion since every one of the new GN'R guitarists have put their own spin on the old band's guitar solos.  It's just how it is and it is how it should be.  If you don't allow these guys the freedom to inject their own personalities and creative styles into the songs, they will not enjoy the performances and more than likely not perform with as much energy and/or at the same level of quality.

Ali
suntorytime
Rocker

Kiyoshiro Forever

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »

I still like the Osaka version better.  Tongue
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »

Ali
Well, I can recognize the solo, and it's just a fresh take on it.  I'll say it one more time:  DJ is not Robin.  Unless he is instructed to play the solos note for note, then I'm all for him doing something different.  To say otherwise is a bit naive in my opinion since every one of the new GN'R guitarists have put their own spin on the old band's guitar solos.  It's just how it is and it is how it should be.  If you don't allow these guys the freedom to inject their own personalities and creative styles into the songs, they will not enjoy the performances and more than likely not perform with as much energy and/or at the same level of quality.

Ali

Totally agree  ok

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Ali

He should at least play the first note correctly.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Ali

THANK YOU.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »

Ali, I wont argue with you on that matter. We can do it by PMs if you want.

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Ali

THANK YOU.

+1. I would have quoted Garry a little while ago but then our post would have disappeared. I understand that DJ isn't going to play the solo note by note but the beginning is what makes the solo imo. after that he can play it his way.
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Ali

THANK YOU.
At least.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »

I think DJ does fine putting his own style in it.

"Going...going...gone!"
Ali
Legend

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Ali

THANK YOU.

Well, I don't recall if the first note was out of tune or not, or if that is what you mean.  If the issue is him playing that note out of tune, well then obviously he should play it tune.  If it is him playing it differently, then again my response is the same:  he isn't Robin.

If you want the band to get involved in the songs and to take some ownership of how they are played live, you HAVE TO allow them freedom to make the songs their own.  That's what happens when the new band plays the old material and it works quite well as they play those songs with tremendous energy.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: