Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What do we think happened in 2003 and 2004?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do we think happened in 2003 and 2004?  (Read 10004 times)
welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« on: February 26, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »

Hey I dont post very often but I am on here everyday reading the boards. Also if this is a dead horse, I'm sorry.

Anywho,? In August of 2002 we had that great interview with Axl discussing how it was time to wrap up the album, it feels good, we have the track listing..yadda yadda. We all know what happened next, the great Euro/Asian tour..the shaky VMA performance and a poorly promoted North American tour.

My question is some serious changes must have happened during 2003 and 2004. Does anyone have any theories or insight on why we essentially had two dead years in the GNR camp?

If Axl was talking about having 18songs and 10bonus cuts in 2002, what made him change his mind to drastically that 2.5years later we havent seen them?

Thanks A Bunch,
Welshrose

Girl I am just a Vampire for your love

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:08:49 PM »

My question is some serious changes must have happened during 2003 and 2004. Does anyone have any theories or insight on why we essentially had two dead years in the GNR camp?

Axl leaving Universal to have more artistic freedom, so needing hush hush on legal and financial proceedings to make sure everything happened and happened right ?

Just a theory.....

Nothing to say
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:53:26 PM »

One thing that happened was that Buckethead left.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Almost Famous
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 02:55:40 PM »

Puppies were made. A very large litter from what I gather...
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 03:08:27 PM »

maybe some surgery... Grin

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 03:36:56 PM »

Axl could have been growing an afro throughout '03-'04, and won't be releasing Chinese Democracy until it's at least up to Commodores standards.

hihi
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »

Axl leaving Universal to have more artistic freedom, so needing hush hush on legal and financial proceedings to make sure everything happened and happened right ?

Just a theory.....

Axl not leaved Universal  Roll Eyes

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 03:56:42 PM »

Just a theory.....

Axl not leaved Universal? Roll Eyes

Well, maybe not, but something happened somewhere < sanctuary

Nothing to say
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 04:09:41 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if Axl can't stand the thought of being judged on the new material. If it was finished 2 years ago, there is absolutely NO reason why this album should not already be out. In fact, we should be sick of the music by now,but instead,we have nothing. And in a recent Tommy interview, Tommy said he recently heard some material from CD that he hadn't heard in years.YEARS!! Talk about someone being out of the loop. The whole GNR enigma is very strange. Sometimes I wonder if God is going to have to intervene to force the release of this album.

welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 05:15:54 PM »

Thanks for responding guys.

Buckethead leaving was obviously big, but remember Gilby was picked up in a matter of weeks and learned the entire GNR catalogue with a month.

I still do not believe we will get any explanation to what the hell just happened. It just doesnt seem right, I think 2002 was the time for GNR to come back. The reviews on tour were getting better, the band was becoming a tight unit, Axls voice was getting stronger and they had a lot of big shows still to come..philly, DC, Miami, Los Angeles would have all been full arenas. I am just scared that the media isnt going to give GNR a chance again, the tour sold last time as "here is Axl Rose after 10years lets see what he is up to"..but since he proved that shit always goes wrong and fans are getting screwed over I just dont see people giving him another shot.

If this record comes out in 2005, my advice is start over completely as a new band. Pretend GNR 1987-1993 never existed. Play sold out 2-5k seat places, release the album and try to tour largely on new material.

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 05:21:28 PM »

If this record comes out in 2005, my advice is start over completely as a new band. Pretend GNR 1987-1993 never existed. Play sold out 2-5k seat places, release the album and try to tour largely on new material.
Why bother everyone still remembers the old band, anyway Axl would seem like an asshole if he just threw away his past and never mentioned the people who made him who he is today

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »

Why bother everyone still remembers the old band, anyway Axl would seem like an asshole if he just threw away his past and never mentioned the people who made him who he is today

smoking Izzy? smoking

Wow. I think that Axl made himself. The same goes for Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. Besides I think people already thnk Axl is an asshole so what's new.  peace
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 12:04:27 AM »

Well, if everyone leaves GN'R, that has to say something about the guy running the show.  You don't leave something that pays that much money just for the sake of "moving on".
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 02:01:20 AM »

I honestly love having this album and another North American Tour,but I just don't see it happening smoking

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 02:08:40 AM »

I meant in theory pretend that 87-93 didnt exist. Of course the name Axl Rose and GNR will draw a crowd, but this is a new line up completely..like GNR Mach 2. Plus GNR in a sweaty urban theatre is way cooler than seeing them in some bottomless hockey arena with Pepsi and Verizon ads everywhere.

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 03:11:23 AM »

not to cling to the old days...the past glory....That's hell ballsy and I'm all for your advise, welshrose.

noonespecial
VIP

I&#039;m a llama!

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 06:43:40 AM »

Agreed...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 12:26:39 PM »

Arenas with 2 to 5 thousand fans???  Hell no.  You can call it ego or anything you want, there's no way Axl would play in a venue that small.  Yes, I know, bashers will respond with the small attendance #'s from the beginning of the 2002 tour, but that tour had virtually no marketing.  If Axl ever tours again, which right now I have to admit I'm starting to doubt, it will be behind a huge album, videos, radio, tv, and print interviews, and commercials. 

Personally,  I'm starting to doubt Axl ever wants to tour again.  I think his artistic side is content to create, and being out of the public spotlight has allowed him to immerse himself in his art.  I hope I'm wrong and we see something huge soon!

peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 06:34:53 PM »

In August 2002 at the VMA's Axl's response to whether or not Chinese Democracy would be out soon was "I wouldn't say soon, but it will come out". 

The 2002 North American tour was one of the most poorly conceived tours by a major band I've ever witnessed.  There was no album that they were touring for and it wasn't a reunion tour.  It was a tour titled after an album that wasn't out and wasn't going to be coming out any time soon, and the promotion for it was awful.  The tour got off to a horrible start when the first show was cancelled and incited a riot and then got axed when a second scheduled date was cancelled, starting another riot.  That tour was an undeniable disaster that entrenched the band in a legal mess and it did little to inspire mainstream interest in the new group.

In 2003 I'm sure that the group spent a large amount of time working on the album.  In 2004, Buckethead left the band creating another serious problem, at least when it comes to touring again.  According to Tommy and Dizzy, the music was basically done by the time Bucket left the group.  But the problem is that he's nearly irreplaceable in the sense that you can't just go find another guitarist to come in and play his parts because the degree of difficulty in much of what he plays is so high. 

For about six months to a year, the music has been done and Axl has been putting the "finishing touches" on the album, whatever that means.  Vocals, mixing, postproduction, it's hard to tell.   But given that the material is there, it seems likely the album should come out this year
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 07:28:18 PM »

Axl has been putting the "finishing touches" on this album for about 5 years. So just because he's supposedly in the finishing stage does NOT mean the album will be released this year. In fact, I believe there are more reasons on why it will NOT come out this year then there are reasons on why it will come out this year.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 07:49:37 PM »

There've been reports that the album will be coming out for about 5 years, but most of them were speculative or did not come straight from the horse's mouth.  In the past 6 months we've had two people actually in the band state that the music is finished.  I've never heard that stated by anyone until 2004. 
welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 11:39:13 PM »

Doug Goldstein back in 2001 said that Chinese Democracy was 99% done musically and 80% vocally.

It was after Rock in Rio 3

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 11:03:44 AM »

I've been waiting for ever for this album if its not out in 2005 iam giving up on guns n roses ive been a fan since i was ten years old, and iam twenty four now.

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 12:05:27 PM »

cool, you can tell that your mother. ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 12:32:18 PM »

I think Axl caught the flu

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 12:43:57 PM »

Oh, Axl has had the flu for 14 years?

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 01:34:47 PM »

Oh, Axl has had the flu for 14 years?
2003-2004= 1 year? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »

Axl bought an x-box.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 05:01:36 PM »

In 2004 Axl completed GTA: Vice City.

In 2005 he hopes to complete GTA: San Andreas. According to Tommy he's 99% done!  rofl
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 05:15:40 PM »

Axl has probably nursing his bruised ego after the last tour disaster, and the less than positive live response to the 'new' tunes.

During Chinese democracy, the blues, and madagascar people got up to get their popcorn and beer. And what the fuck did he expect not having a single on the radio or an album in stores. I mean really what was the point.

Anyway, who knows what the fuck he's been doing. selling off his publishing shares, and playing video games. I honestly think he hasn't done much.

a day in the life of axl

1:00 pm gets up, showers, eats, etc
2:00pm calls his lawyers for the lastest updates
3:00pm pulls out a slash voo doo doll and pokes holes in it
4:00pm works out on his expensive muscle stimulating machine
5:00pm sits at the piano, plays a few notes then bashes his head into the keys like the guy on seasame street and yell "its just no good!!"
6:00pm calls earl, and they head down to the local steakhouse
8:00pm Gets home has a starbucks coffee and freaks out
9:00 pm calls tommy "tommy don't book any more shows were going on tour in two months.... Make sure you remember all the chords to november rain or your fucking fired.
10:00 Phones to see if buckethead is still in the band...
11:00 finally heads to the studio starts listening to the tracks
12:00am sings two notes...."nah I just don't feel like singing"
1:00am "Dizzy get down here fucking now we need more keyboards on the blues"
              "Axl there is already 30 keyboard parts, a orchestra, 30 guitar parts, five drum loops, 3 bass tracks, and a fucking flute solo. Maybe you should just sing it"
              "Fuck you dizzy... what band did you play in before GNR... ya thats right 'the wild' now get your keyboard playing ass down here and play"
2:00 Dizzy shows up and axl yells at him for 6 hours about how his keyboard tone isn't modern enough and nothing gets down.
8:00am... axl has mint tea and goes to bed

The next day he calls robin instead of dizzy.

Thats what axl's been doing.

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 05:23:32 PM »

Really? That's not nice. nervous
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2005, 08:13:12 PM »

I hate haters.  Angry

Ironic I know.

But I hate them.

Get a life.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005, 06:33:46 PM »

I'm not a hater. If you looked at the majority of my posts on this site they are pro-axl. I mean  I love the guy and think he is genious. I check here every fucking day waiting for a glimmer of hope that something will get released. I think the new stuff is awesome. but I don't think axl does or he would have released an album by now.

I'm past the point of being optimistic.

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2005, 07:07:27 PM »

Everyone who is on this board isnt a hater. We are all above average GNR fans and will bye the album. Shit Ill bye at least 3 when it comes out.  The fact of the matter is, dont have the managment tell me in 2001 that its 99% done musically..then it doesnt come out. Or Axl in 2002 going we are wrapping up the baby we have the cover, the tracklisting...and then in London telling me how many tracks there are.

My beef is, when we have these cancellations or delays, tell us why. Thats all I ask for, Ill still buy the album, just give me a reason, an occasional update..thats it.

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
RichardNixon
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2005, 07:40:15 PM »

Axl has probably nursing his bruised ego after the last tour disaster, and the less than positive live response to the 'new' tunes.

During Chinese democracy, the blues, and madagascar people got up to get their popcorn and beer. And what the fuck did he expect not having a single on the radio or an album in stores. I mean really what was the point.

Anyway, who knows what the fuck he's been doing. selling off his publishing shares, and playing video games. I honestly think he hasn't done much.

a day in the life of axl

1:00 pm gets up, showers, eats, etc
2:00pm calls his lawyers for the lastest updates
4:00pm works out on his expensive muscle stimulating machine
5:00pm sits at the piano, plays a few notes then bashes his head into the keys like the guy on seasame street and yell "its just no good!!"
6:00pm calls earl, and they head down to the local steakhouse
8:00pm Gets home has a starbucks coffee and freaks out
9:00 pm calls tommy "tommy don't book any more shows were going on tour in two months.... Make sure you remember all the chords to november rain or your fucking fired.
10:00 Phones to see if buckethead is still in the band...
11:00 finally heads to the studio starts listening to the tracks
12:00am sings two notes...."nah I just don't feel like singing"
1:00am "Dizzy get down here fucking now we need more keyboards on the blues"
? ? ? ? ? ? ? "Axl there is already 30 keyboard parts, a orchestra, 30 guitar parts, five drum loops, 3 bass tracks, and a fucking flute solo. Maybe you should just sing it"
? ? ? ? ? ? ? "Fuck you dizzy... what band did you play in before GNR... ya thats right 'the wild' now get your keyboard playing ass down here and play"
2:00 Dizzy shows up and axl yells at him for 6 hours about how his keyboard tone isn't modern enough and nothing gets down.
8:00am... axl has mint tea and goes to bed

The next day he calls robin instead of dizzy.

Thats what axl's been doing.

hihi That's a riot.
Crowebar
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 01:21:15 AM »

Axls' doing whatever the fuck he wants to do and quite literally doesn't give a fuck what anybody thinks.

He lives his life and does what he wants.

That's it.

He's gonna release the album eventually and it will probably be fucking unbelievable when we finally hear it. drool beer smoking
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 03:48:07 AM »

Axls' doing whatever the fuck he wants to do and quite literally doesn't give a fuck what anybody thinks.

He lives his life and does what he wants.

That's it.

He's gonna release the album eventually and it will probably be fucking unbelievable when we finally hear it. drool beer smoking
If we finally hear it? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2005, 01:48:04 PM »

Been diagnosed as a diabetic

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 04:25:07 PM »

Who you or Axl? Huh

smoking Izzy? smoking

ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »

NOTHING!

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2005, 02:56:13 PM »

I believe that Axl and the rest of the band were working on the album and it will be out when its ready!

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2005, 09:50:20 AM »

Who you or Axl? Huh

smoking Izzy? smoking

Axl. its a guess

Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: