Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott takes shot at Axl
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott takes shot at Axl  (Read 72832 times)
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »

Go  see VR live then tell me you think Slash is a bad guitarist.

Anyways all Axl has done since those dudes left is go quiet for a while hold a album somewhere and sadly mangle his face.

Duff.......LEGEND

Scott, he has a disorder if i hear correctly, plus im sure all those years of drugs are bound to have messed him up. But good on him for giving that shit up!!!

Matt.....shouldnt have cut his hair.

html sucks
jgfnsr
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »

I should have specified, his image as "Axl Fucking Rose, Badass Rocker" took a hit.? He became much less (pardon the pun) in-vince-able.?

Rolling out that grand piano didn't help the image either...

Your notorious lack of appreciation for the piano-driven epics of Guns N' Roses aside Falcon...

I'll say if I had to choose between Axl agreeing to fight Vince in a juvenile grudge match to save his ego, or going on and eclipsing him as an individual artist and a band, I'd definitely go with the latter.
jgfnsr
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2005, 07:00:45 PM »

Its ashame Slash's guitar playing has "fell to Pieces" since his GNR days? Cry

No offense YG, but that's insane.

Slash's playing, musicianship and style is so far beyond his days in his prior band it ridiculous.

Apologies if it seems like I stalk your posts Falcon.  It's just, whenever I come across you, you're usually among the few worthy of responding too.

However, once again I'll have to disagree with you here and side with younggunner.

I'll agree that Slash was "born" in Joe Perry's shadow once upon a time but he moved beyond that long ago, including during his GN'R days. 

While I still think Slash is as great a guitar player as ever, that fact is by no means shown on Contraband

In the end, perhaps it really isn't Slash's fault, as the writing doesnt' call for it.  But his playing on the Velvet Revolver album is far less inspired than just about any Guns material, and many of his solos go nowhere.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2005, 07:01:09 PM »

I should have specified, his image as "Axl Fucking Rose, Badass Rocker" took a hit.? He became much less (pardon the pun) in-vince-able.?

Rolling out that grand piano didn't help the image either...

Your notorious lack of appreciation for the piano-driven epics of Guns N' Roses aside Falcon...

I'll say if I had to choose between Axl agreeing to fight Vince in a juvenile grudge match to save his ego, or going on and eclipsing him as an individual artist and a band, I'd definitely go with the latter.

It was never about "eclipsing him as an individual artist and a band", just a commentary on Axl's image as "Axl Fucking Rose, Badass Rocker" being diminished.

That said, Vince and The Crue (which I'm no fan of in the least) are selling out arenas Axl and his guys didn't circa 2002...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2005, 07:13:55 PM »

In the end, perhaps it really isn't Slash's fault, as the writing doesnt' call for it.? But his playing on the Velvet Revolver album is far less inspired than just about any Guns material, and many of his solos go nowhere.

That's a matter of opinion and I respect yours, although the "many of his solos go nowhere" comment
I find a bit odd.  I think his solo work on Contraband is blistering, most having a natural beginning, middle and subsequent end whereas UYI era Slash's playing was for the most part aimless, contrived
filler that had no organic feel whatsoever.  I realize that might have been what the material called for,
which backs my less than stellar views on the UYI's in general.  Nothing memorable in the least whereas
the solo featured in "Slither" will inspire bad air guitar-ing for years to come.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2005, 07:33:03 PM »

Slash's playing on the Velvet Revolver album is far less inspired than just about any Guns material

That is true.
RichardNixon
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2005, 07:59:26 PM »

Slash's playing on the Velvet Revolver album is far less inspired than just about any Guns material

That is true.

Well, that's your opinion and your entitled to it. However, I suggest you go back and listen to the solo in "Loving the Alien" and see if you feel the same way.
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2005, 08:31:33 PM »

I've listened to every solo of every song on that album, and I still stand by that opinion.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2005, 09:00:53 PM »

Nothing memorable in the least whereas
the solo featured in "Slither" will inspire bad air guitar-ing for years to come.

I wouldnt go that far when it comes to the UYIs, but I think the solos on "Sucker Train Blues," "Fall To Pieces," "You Got No Right," "Slither," "Spectacle," "Dirty Little Thing," "Set Me Free" and "Loving The Alien" eclipse roughly 75% of those on UYI I.? Additionally, I think Contraband is actually a better album than UYI.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2005, 09:10:08 PM »

Scott gave a thumbs up to people chanting "axl sucks" at the gig i went to. Is he saying it's only okay to mention axl if it's in a bad way?

That being said, there's no need to take along an axl banner. The fans have a right to, but only a twat would exercise that right.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2005, 10:51:13 PM »

I wouldnt go that far when it comes to the UYIs, but I think the solos on "Sucker Train Blues," "Fall To Pieces," "You Got No Right," "Slither," "Spectacle," "Dirty Little Thing," "Set Me Free" and "Loving The Alien" eclipse roughly 75% of those on UYI I.? Additionally, I think Contraband is actually a better album than UYI.

Falcon, that's rediculous. Can you even hum Slither from the begining to after slash's solo at least?

Some horrid song on mechanical animals (m. manson) actually inspired me to do that more than slither ever did.

And booker, i'd like to see a list of the 75% of illusions songs that have solos worse than the songs you've mentioned..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 10:55:28 PM by the dirt » Logged

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2005, 11:05:59 PM »

Falcon, that's rediculous. Can you even hum Slither from the begining to after slash's solo at least?

Why yes, I can.

In the words of the dude in my avatar.? "If you can't hum it or whistle it, ain't nobody gonna remember it."

Some horrid song on mechanical animals (m. manson) actually inspired me to do that more than slither ever did.

Happy Manson provoked inspired humming from you, I find he and his music brilliant.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2005, 11:18:39 PM »

The "rediculous" part of my post reffered to your assumption that Slither would be air-guitared/hummed for years to come. Don't assume that for most air guitarists or any other for that matter Undecided

And i guess we both agree with the words of the dude in your avatar

Happy Manson provoked inspired humming from you, I find he and his music brilliant.

I was a fan up until superstar, i love that album; lost interest in them ever since the follow up, though. I'm humming the song antichrist superstar right now without a hitch Grin

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 11:24:48 PM by the dirt » Logged

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2005, 11:31:51 PM »

The "rediculous" part of my post reffered to your assumption that Slither would be air-guitared/hummed for years to come. Don't assume that for most air guitarists or any other for that matter Undecided

I was speaking of the solo within "Slither" in regards to the air guitar comment, and the song itself is still getting great airplay nearly a year after it's release.  Not bad in my estimation.

As for Manson, "Lest We Forget" (his greatest hits release) hasn't left my CD player in months...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2005, 11:42:07 PM »

when someone says Slash's guitar playing is uninspired or shitty on CB it makes me wonder if they've even heard the fuckin record more than once

I can name a bunch of CB songs that shit all over GNR songs musically.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2005, 01:07:51 AM »

sorry, youre entitled to an opinion but those 2 claims are way off the mark

Slash's soloing on November Rain, Don't damn me and Coma eclipse by a country mile his soloing on Contraband (YGNR being the best).In saying that, Contraband aint about solos, it's a more modern cohesive feel than what we got in 91

...and, i love UYI1 - i cant fathom how anyone can say 2 is better(let alone Contraband - wjich i think is solid btw)
1 is up there with Appetite and Lies for me, although I do subscribe to the theory that Illusions should not have been a double..

just my 2 cents worth...

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2005, 03:08:14 AM »

And booker, i'd like to see a list of the 75% of illusions songs that have solos worse than the songs you've mentioned..

"Right Next Door To Hell"
"Dust N' Bones"
"Dont Cry"
"Perfect Crime"
"You Aint The First"
"Bad Obsession"
"Garden Of Eden"
"Dont Damn Me"
"Bad Apples"
"Live And Let Die"

So thats closer to 60% I guess... Lips Sealed Grin 

The truth is, while I like most of these songs to varying degrees (dont care much for "Bad Apples" or "Bad Obsession"), I think the songs I named off of Contraband not only have better solos, but are better songs.  And while nothing on Contraband matches "November Rain" (perhaps Slashs finest moment), or even "Coma," I think "You Got No Right" matces of comes close to UYIs other highlights: "The Garden," "Dead Horse," Back Off Bitch."

I would take "Sucker Train Blues" over "Right Next Door..."  I would take "Dirty Little Thing" over "Garden Of Eden."  I would take "Slither" over "Bad Obsession," etc.  Of course its only opinion, but I dont see how its far-fetched at all.

. Can you even hum Slither from the begining to after slash's solo at least?

You werent talking to me, but absolutely.  yes
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2005, 03:22:04 AM »

Anyone else think this thread has lost it's original meaning..? ..whatever that might've been.

I do.. So..

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: