Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 89283 times)
madagas
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »

Digital album sales like Itunes are tracked separately...no doubt that has an effect on your cd sales. For the record, I really don't care what the album sales are and am not debating the quality of the overall album, just stating an opinion as to why they are substantially lower than Contraband.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »

You are on a GnR board and not every GnR fan is gonna like VR. deal with it.

... but there's only a special few who feel the need to constantly comment on something which they obviously aren't a fan of. ?It's very cute. ? love Kiss
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 01:36:02 PM »

maybe you guys should try the velvet revolver forum if you want a bunch of VR fans.   You are on a GnR board and not every GnR fan is gonna like VR.   deal with it.

Do I hear in echo in here?

Yok, yok. More like a broken record. An echo at least fades away. hihi

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »

You are on a GnR board and not every GnR fan is gonna like VR. deal with it.

... but there's only a special few who feel the need to constantly comment on something which they obviously aren't a fan of.  It's very cute.   love Kiss

it goes both ways, my friend.

the difference is, this is a GnR board and not being a fan of GnR and coming here is fucking stupid and moronic and a waste of time.    And there are quite a few who do this.     

On the other hand, this is not a Vevlet Revolver board.  So yea, not everyone is going to be a fan.  But we are all GnR fans, I would think.  Undecided
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »

it goes both ways, my friend.

the difference is, this is a GnR board and not being a fan of GnR and coming here is fucking stupid and moronic and a waste of time. And there are quite a few who do this.

On the other hand, this is not a Vevlet Revolver board. So yea, not everyone is going to be a fan. But we are all GnR fans, I would think. Undecided

Whether or not you are a VR fan wasn't the point... I get that you are a GN'R fan on a GN'R board that doesn't like VR (I think the whole world understood this the first 100 times it got posted)...? The point is that it's completely lame to hang out in the VR section to trash talk in every thread.

This would be the same as visiting the Fun N' Games section of the board and posting how much you aren't a fan of sports in every thread and remaining there to argue the point.? See how it doesn't matter that it's a GN'R Board?? It's just weak... weaker than you think Libertad is.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »

I think we can also chalk this up to the record industry basically being in free fall. I didn't realize how bad things really were until NIN, Manson, and now Velvet Revolver all debuted far, far below their standard and the general expectations. I'm worried for the Pumpkins now.

The single sucked, good song, bad single choice

Slither and FTP were massive singles and the only chance VR had to duplicate that was "Messages" and Get Out The Door.

U put Messages out as the first single and the album sells twice as many copies.

The industry isnt down.

Great albums still sell very very well.

Bon Jovi sold 293 thousand first week and 125 thousand the 2nd week.

So Bon Jovi's second week beat VR's first week......... nervous nervous

Can? somebody say REUNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok ok ok ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 01:55:50 PM »

I think we can also chalk this up to the record industry basically being in free fall. I didn't realize how bad things really were until NIN, Manson, and now Velvet Revolver all debuted far, far below their standard and the general expectations. I'm worried for the Pumpkins now.

The single sucked, good song, bad single choice

Slither and FTP were massive singles and the only chance VR had to duplicate that was "Messages" and Get Out The Door.

U put Messages out as the first single and the album sells twice as many copies.

The industry isnt down.

Great albums still sell very very well.

Bon Jovi sold 293 thousand first week and 125 thousand the 2nd week.

So Bon Jovi's second week beat VR's first week......... nervous nervous

Can? somebody say REUNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok ok ok ok

D, there was a huge article in RS about how overall sales are down since 2000 and how the top selling albums now go maybe triple platinum, whereas back in 2000, there were records going 6x, 5x platinum.  Good records still sell, but not as much as they did a few years ago.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »

yeah but 100,000 first week would be a huge disappointment, i can guarantee u that.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 02:10:13 PM »

yeah but 100,000 first week would be a huge disappointment, i can guarantee u that.

I don't disagree with that.  But, I think the downward turn of the industry in general is getting worse and worse with each passing year and that is a factor.  How much of a factor, who knows?  But I believe it is a factor.

Ali
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »

And Bon Jovi's crossover to country (which you yourself pointed out before D) probably had a BIG impact on the boost in sales.  I'm not fond of country music myself, but that's a HUGE and powerful market.  If you work your way in there and are accepted, the sales are only going to reflect that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »

Contraband came out 2 years ago

I dont think the industry has declined THAT MUCH

weak first singles kill album sells. Thats a fact.

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »

sbqm definetly not a good move.

most ppl i know are indifferent to the song. its very "meh" to them.

i just heard messages today.

after it was hyped up so much i didn't possibly think i could like it as much as everyone here.

but im converted too........still can't believe messages isnt on the album.

they could have had mary mary, or get out the door, as first single then messages as the second.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »

if the unforgettable Messages doesn't push another 100k, then the album truly sagged under the weight of expectations.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:02:20 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

Contraband came out 2 years ago

I dont think the industry has declined THAT MUCH

weak first singles kill album sells. Thats a fact.

Im not sure how much the industry has declined, though I do recall reading that it has significantly declined in only one or two years.  But I think the first singles failure to catch on is just as responsible.  They still have the opportunity to rebound with the next two singles and hopefully they do.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »

^
agree

I truly love this album now.

I think the big difference with this and CB is:

On Contraband u had 3 Truly HUGE songs: Slither,FTP,YGNR

on Libertad every song is really good but there isnt outside of Messages that quintessential HIT on there that casual fans will embrace.

Beefy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »

Libertad is a fucking brilliant album and here in the UK this fact has been acknowledged as it debuted at No.6 on the album chart yesterday, 5 places above where Contraband peaked. Not a bad performance at all for a fairly un-promoted rock album and also bear in mind that this is festival season so the albums that will be near the top of the album charts are those by bands who have just played the festivals with high levels of media coverage such as Glastonbury and T in the Park, much higher profile media coverage than Download for example so in all 6 is a highly credible performance!!!!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »

^
agree

I truly love this album now.

I think the big difference with this and CB is:

On Contraband u had 3 Truly HUGE songs: Slither,FTP,YGNR

on Libertad every song is really good but there isnt outside of Messages that quintessential HIT on there that casual fans will embrace.

Took a week longer than I predicted, but of course if true love is born through predictability and repetition, my college roommate has fated me to be buried with Wakin' Up the Neighbors.... Tongue

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 03:32:55 PM »

100,000 is a good debut for a rock band in today's climate. I don't think people realize how much the record industry has changed even since Contraband came out. The only rock album that has sold more than Contraband since it came out was the friggen Nickleback and Daughtry CD's. Bands like RHCP, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Tool, etc. all sold less. With record sales as they are, just going platinum is a success in itself and VR will surely do that.
madagas
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 03:35:24 PM »

Tool sold 564,000 the first week in May 2006! People talk out of their ass hihi
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:38:17 PM by madagas » Logged
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 03:46:34 PM »

100,000 is a good debut for a rock band in today's climate. I don't think people realize how much the record industry has changed even since Contraband came out. The only rock album that has sold more than Contraband since it came out was the friggen Nickleback and Daughtry CD's. Bands like RHCP, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Tool, etc. all sold less. With record sales as they are, just going platinum is a success in itself and VR will surely do that.

Stadium Arcadium sold over 400,000 copies in the first week in the US, and has sold over 7 million copies worldwide.  And it was only released last year.  Tool's last album sold over 560,000 copies in the first week.  It's sold almost 3 million worldwide and has been out for just over a year.  So you're way off base
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: