Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour  (Read 93959 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: December 22, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »

SLASH: 'Doing A Book Signing Is Like Being Host Of A Dinner Party With People You've Never Met' - Dec. 22, 2007

Former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash has posted the following blog recounting his recent book-signing tour conducted in connection with his self-titled memoir, "Slash":

"The whole book signing experience was pretty memorable because it was a whole different medium ? I was promoting something I'm not familiar with. I'd walk into a book store and meet an audience that was somewhat similar to the live audience that I perform for, but the demographic was all over the place. It went from six and seven year olds, all the way to 60 and 70 year olds, and everyone in between.

"When I'm standing on a stage in front of a room full of people, I don't really notice any 70-year-olds, on the average.

"The cool thing about the signings was being in a position to actually stand toe-to-toe with people who are fans ? or just curious. I got to look them in the eye, shake their hands, and sometimes even get names.

"It was a very different experience for me. It was personable and that was really cool. I was there with this piece of material, this book we just wrote and people were really into hearing what I had to say. It's different than putting out a record, which people listen to and then you see them when they show up at your gigs. At a book signing you're much more accessible, and your fans are right there, living and breathing in person. They are in front of you as individuals, not just as crowd you see from a stage.

"I knew it was going to be different at the very first signing, at Barnes and Noble in New York City. I had taped 'Letterman' just before it and was wearing a jacket and button down shirt for the show, so at the signing I took off my jacket and was there in my shirt, starting off this whole thing. This girl came up to the table and kind of looked me over and just said, 'Slash, this is way too conservative for you.' It dawned on me right then what a different element I was in.

"All of the signings were fun but the best for me, the one where I was the most comfortable was the one at the Whisky a Go Go. We had a bar, and loud music was playing; it was a club environment and there was some jamming and stuff later that night. And it was in L.A. I got up and played at that one, but the one that was most like an actual show was the one at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. I was actually on a stage ? they built one stage in the atrium there in the biggest mall in America ? hence the name. Unlike other places where people were lined up outside the store, they were lined up in front of the stage, like a crowd at a gig, as I sat up there signing books.

"I felt sort of naked out there at the table at all of the signings without the backdrop of my band and crew ? my gang. I was there with a bunch of people who work in the bookstore and I was in their store, trying to get away with smoking cigarettes. And sober. It was definitely a little bit different. The pressure was really on me to hold up my end of the bargain which was to be able to accept my audience.

"It was cool to do it; it was almost cathartic in a way. I wasn't totally sure what to expect, just being out there, meeting fans in this way.

"I have to say that everybody was genuinely really nice. I wasn't expecting anything bad, but I wasn't sure what they would be like. When you're just sitting there signing books at a table, it's possible that somebody can just walk right up you and go 'You're a fucking asshole!'

"Doing a signing is like being the host of a big dinner party with a bunch of people you've never met. You just don't know what's gonna happen. But everybody was really really nice ? endearing is the best word I can think of. They were full of compliments, and I don't take compliments that well, but it was really, really nice. Young and old, everyone was very cool, and we did signings for 800-1000 people per event.

"A lot of people brought stuff they wanted signed, like guitars, Guitar Hero controllers, pictures, all kinds of gifts. The thing was, I'd need to get into a whirlwind pace of signing just to get through that many books in the time period available ? some people bought upwards of 40 books a piece that I had to sign one after the other with no break. In that type of situation, all you can do is sign it. Then I'd look someone in the eye as they'd try to hand me something that clearly meant something to them, and ask me, 'Can you please just sign this? Please?' I really couldn't, because if I did one, I'd have to do every one. So what ended up happening was that I'd tell them to wait around until the end and I'd sign it later. I'd go outside and sign all of that in the parking lot for another hour or however long it took.

"Who would have thought, though? I've never released a book, I've never been to a signing and outside of the library or a book store, knew nothing about books or publishing in general. I'd read them and that's it. I never thought about what goes into writing them or editing them or producing them in general. When we wrote this I thought it was only going to go out to those GUNS N' ROSES fans who cared ? and I knew there were those ? and no one else. I had no idea that we'd get a turnout like this, from the many different types of readers to the huge number of readers. I had no idea that the book we wrote would appeal to enough people to get it on top of the New York Times bestseller list for over a month straight. I had no idea that what we were dong was working toward something that would become this big. Who knows... maybe that's why it's cool."

Slash performing at the Los Angeles book-signing at the Whisky A Go Go (November 2007):

Part 1 & 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxFyB2Ss9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnGMYtF-rQ

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »

Wow-it's actually #18 on the NY times best seller list-a bit surprised-I'm curious-does anyone know if it was higher in previous weeks?

libertad
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:11:32 PM »

sexkitten it looks like you made quite an impression...you "looked him over"? hihi Wink

sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 07:18:25 PM »

sexkitten it looks like you made quite an impression...you "looked him over"? hihi Wink

Wink lol!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:44:40 PM by sexkitten » Logged
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:48:20 PM »

What about this?  So who's lying ... Slash or sexkitten?  Roll Eyes

You had to get a wristband and they started giving wristbands out at 10am.

I was daydreaming all day that day at work about meeting Slash and posing with him for a picture...and how it would be my Christmas card this year...it was gonna read, "Slash and I wish you a rockin' Christmas!"

I got in line about 5pm and signing was at 7pm. There were signs up all over Barnes and Noble with all these rules:

No Personalized books
2 book min. to be signed
No signing of memorabilia
No pictures with Slash

So, we get up there, and they took our camera approx. 20ft. away from him!  It was so lame! B & N said Slash didn't want any flashes on him!
When I finally met him, I first  told him how hard he rocks, then proceeded to tell him how "un-metal" all the rules were! He just smiled and giggled.

He was definitely friendly (and shy) the 2 seconds he gave you, but it was herd 'em in and herd 'em out kind of thing. It was so disappointing!

Like IFINGLUVR said, probably like 200-300 people.  So we saw his limo when we came out so about 5 of us decided to wait outside...including the kid that idolized Slash and wanted him to sign his guitar case...and when he came out we over heard him say "I'm done signing." And his security guards pushed us away and he cruised right into his car!  He couldn't even stop for 1 sec. so we could get a pic of him!

I get that he's a huge rockstar...but it's not f-ing 1992 dude!  I guess the most disappointing part is that he so didn't care!

I will always be a Slash fan, but I will never forget that experience and how he treated his fans.  I'm not breaking up, but I won't ever feel the same about him.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 07:57:08 PM »

What about this?? So who's lying ... Slash or sexkitten?? Roll Eyes

You had to get a wristband and they started giving wristbands out at 10am.

I was daydreaming all day that day at work about meeting Slash and posing with him for a picture...and how it would be my Christmas card this year...it was gonna read, "Slash and I wish you a rockin' Christmas!"

I got in line about 5pm and signing was at 7pm. There were signs up all over Barnes and Noble with all these rules:

No Personalized books
2 book min. to be signed
No signing of memorabilia
No pictures with Slash

So, we get up there, and they took our camera approx. 20ft. away from him!? It was so lame! B & N said Slash didn't want any flashes on him!
When I finally met him, I first? told him how hard he rocks, then proceeded to tell him how "un-metal" all the rules were! He just smiled and giggled.

He was definitely friendly (and shy) the 2 seconds he gave you, but it was herd 'em in and herd 'em out kind of thing. It was so disappointing!

Like IFINGLUVR said, probably like 200-300 people.? So we saw his limo when we came out so about 5 of us decided to wait outside...including the kid that idolized Slash and wanted him to sign his guitar case...and when he came out we over heard him say "I'm done signing." And his security guards pushed us away and he cruised right into his car!? He couldn't even stop for 1 sec. so we could get a pic of him!

I get that he's a huge rockstar...but it's not f-ing 1992 dude!? I guess the most disappointing part is that he so didn't care!

I will always be a Slash fan, but I will never forget that experience and how he treated his fans.? I'm not breaking up, but I won't ever feel the same about him.

he didn't stop to sign anything on his way to car in nyc. He may have other places. Everything is true that I said...he would only sign 2 books per person, etc. at the manhattan signing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 08:06:13 PM by sexkitten » Logged
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

he didn't stop to sign anything on his way to car in nyc. He may have other places. Everything is true that I said...he would only sign 2 books per person, etc.
Get your head outta your ass, honey.  I believed what you posted on Nov 1st to be the true version.  Roll Eyes

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:11:17 PM »

Get your head outta your ass, honey.?

uhh, okay sweetie.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »

Here is the link to the blabbermouth story...a couple of people have commented on their signing:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=87202

leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »

I doubt sexkitten cared what Slash was wearing or in what setting he found himself in.
It was the fact that he didn't want pics to be taken and he didn't want to do personable signings (let alone hang out or converse with fans for more than 5 sec) that provoked the "un-metal" comment.
Yet another example of how Slash twists words and meanings just to make or support a story that he wanted to tell.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 09:07:22 PM »

I went to a meet and greet to see slash, he signed everyone single person there whatever we had.  I guess he had to enforce the nothing but the books thing since the point was to sign the books. 
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 09:50:55 AM »

Wow-it's actually #18 on the NY times best seller list-a bit surprised-I'm curious-does anyone know if it was higher in previous weeks?

It actually debuted at 8 and eventually got to no. 6!, and now it's down to 18 after 7 or 8 weeks.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »

here in the UK the book sells for ?20, although some shops have a ?5 off deal. I think there's both hardback and soft, as I'm sure I've seen it somewhere for ?8. After Xmas when the sales kick off i'll go and take alook, as I do want to read the book.

Don't waste your time.  Its loaded with bullshit.
spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »

here in the UK the book sells for ?20, although some shops have a ?5 off deal. I think there's both hardback and soft, as I'm sure I've seen it somewhere for ?8. After Xmas when the sales kick off i'll go and take alook, as I do want to read the book.

Don't waste your time.? Its loaded with bullshit.

No it isn't.? It is a good read just because you and /jarmo consider factual errors to be bullshit.

And if it's so full of bullshit then why is it on the top list of books for the NY times best seller Roll Eyes

And let me guess you are very objective right? ok Roll Eyes
Blame it on the editor and not Slash.? And if Axl, Izzy, Duff, Dizzy or anyone past or present in GNR wrote a book, they too would contain errors.? Can you really expect anything to come out 100 percent accurate when they were all fucked up on stuff?

Slash has done nothing to anyone on here.? ?Yet you people act like he has just because he and Axl aren't gettting along.? That doesn't give you the right to hate the guy.?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:35:39 PM by spaghetti_incident » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »

That doesn't give you the right to hate the guy. 

No hating involved.

Just stating my opinion that the book has errors, that a fan like myself can notice, which makes me wonder how correct the things I have no idea about are.

And that it seems to be the version of the history that Slash wants everybody to believe because it's the one he either believes or wants to believe.

As I was reading the book, I was kinda surprised at the stupid errors. Reading an unofficial book I can understand that the author could get things wrong, but this was by a guy who was in the band and it's still full of the same kind of errors all those crappy GN'R books have.

Some of you are very quick to point fingers and accuse me of discrediting former band members, but when Slash basically does a similar thing (in my opinion), it's no biggie!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »

i wonder if axl ever put out one.... (if it ever got a release date, and stuck to it) if the opinions would be the same

i mean in all seriousness, every side of the GNR camp will have a diffrent view on how things happend

and thats that, everyone has diffrent ways of seeing things

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 02:32:06 AM »

And if it's so full of bullshit then why is it on the top list of books for the NY times best seller Roll Eyes
how well its selling has nothing to do with how accurate the info inside is.

I am objective, and I don't hate the guy.  Although I have the right to feel however I feel.

Read his account of the St Louis incident and that right there puts anything and everything else in that book in question, IMO.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

That doesn't give you the right to hate the guy.?
I am objective, and I don't hate the guy.? Although I have the right to feel however I feel.

Read his account of the St Louis incident and that right there puts anything and everything else in that book in question, IMO.

Were you there?

None of us had to be there, man.  There is video of the incident.

Ali
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »

I am objective, and I don't hate the guy.  Although I have the right to feel however I feel.

Were you there?

Ali

That was the anwser I was looking for  Smiley

What ever Slash has written in his book (of which I haven't read yet) is obviously Slash's take on the event.

Maybe slash's recollection of the events.  And Slash has probably not seen this incident since 1991, that's 16 years ago.  Do you think he has watched the bootleg recently?  Besides that, the way he says it doesn't really make things better for him.  It still stands that his lead singer had left them, saying he was going to go home.  They had every right and reason to leave the stage, and maybe go see what was wrong, or whatever.  They'd played the allotted time, they'd been provoked.  They left, for whatever reason.  The circumstances of the leaving, as Slash describes them, aren't really different enough to the bootleg to change the light in which he's cast, imo. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »

Were you there?

Ali

That was the anwser I was looking for  Smiley

What ever Slash has written in his book (of which I haven't read yet) is obviously Slash's take on the event.

well "Slash's take on the event" is very wrong.   read it and then watch the footage.   if he's going to embellish stories like this, what else is inaccurate in that book??!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: