Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who Should the Next VR Singer be?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Should the Next VR Singer be?  (Read 151732 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #660 on: August 19, 2008, 02:41:25 AM »

Wow, must have missed that one.
How long ago?

1 or 2 weeks ago
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #661 on: August 19, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »

Okay good, I don't feel as out of it now. hihi
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #662 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:59 AM »

Brand new song from Tesla, Falcon, I really don't know what is so terrible about their singer.  I think he is less dated than Bach... 

http://www.myspace.com/teslatheband
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #663 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

A new song from Tesla?  Guess you can take him out of the running then, not that he was ever in it really.  I like Tesla, very underrated in my opinion.

I know there are a lot of John Corabi fans on here.  Apparenlty he's been ousted as Ratt's frontman.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #664 on: August 19, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »

A new song from Tesla?  Guess you can take him out of the running then, not that he was ever in it really.  I like Tesla, very underrated in my opinion.

I know there are a lot of John Corabi fans on here.  Apparenlty he's been ousted as Ratt's frontman.

for some reason, they kinda turned me off the album after the great radio controversey; just seemed like they were trying  to be a little to commercial for my taste' Mechanical resonance and the great radio controversy were great though
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #665 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »

I'll say my opinion again just to get some thoughts going, Chris Cornell.

Yes he's doing his whole solo thing, but I think he'd be a nice fit.

a friend of mine said soundgarden is getting back together;

Again, if not Kravitz, and if not rose:

maybe Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother- a singer / songwriter without a band hihi

and not to well known

Cornell just made an album with Timbaland (not kidding) and seems more content as a solo artist.  I can't see Soundgarden getting back together.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #666 on: August 19, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »

I'll say my opinion again just to get some thoughts going, Chris Cornell.

Yes he's doing his whole solo thing, but I think he'd be a nice fit.

a friend of mine said soundgarden is getting back together;

Again, if not Kravitz, and if not rose:

maybe Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother- a singer / songwriter without a band hihi

and not to well known

Cornell just made an album with Timbaland (not kidding) and seems more content as a solo artist.  I can't see Soundgarden getting back together.

i thought so too
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #667 on: August 19, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

Here is an interview with Chris Cornell saying he does not want to do a Soundgarden reunion for the time being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--_rz1dHbIk

I think the other person besides Lenny that I would love to see in VR is Chris Cornell, but I think he has been there done that with Audioslave and would probably be reluctant to do it all over again with VR. Shame.

I think when musicians attain a certain level of success it becomes difficult to work and collaborate with your other bandmates because everyone feels that there equal while others may think that they are superior and that they do not want to work in a little democratic setting. I think they rather have another band where they are the main person that everyone has to answer too. I did not make this comment because of GNR, but I do remember an interview that Slash did that he was asked about the break up and he said something that Axl declared to him that he had a certain vision for the band and how things should be and the direction the band should go and Slash was like really?.... Is that what you have been feeling all this time? Slash didn't actually say exactly what Axl said to him, but I always thought that was an interesting revelation.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #668 on: August 19, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »

Brand new song from Tesla, Falcon, I really don't know what is so terrible about their singer.  I think he is less dated than Bach... 

http://www.myspace.com/teslatheband

It's not that he's bad, but good Lord - it's the singer from Tesla for cryin' out loud.  Too many 80's connotations to even go into for a group of musicians who (seem to) want to stay on todays musical radar. 

As far as less dated than Bach, who knows?  Both haven't been musically relevent in nearly 20 years and are much more suited for the Rocklahoma type audience than the audience the VR guys set out to reach when Weiland came on board.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #669 on: August 19, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »

But Falcon, has The Cult been relevant recently?

Billy Duffy playing with Sammy Hagar....  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2008, 04:39:19 PM »

/jarmo

guess he's a the same wavelenght as sorum then Grin
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »

I don't buy the whole elitist attitude.

"This band sucks, they're so dated"

If the music sucks, it sucks.

The year it's out won't help it.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #672 on: August 19, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »

At this point, I think "respected" is a more accurate description.

/jarmo

Hmmm...

Playing with the guy who sang "Rock Candy" or playing with the "Savage Animal"...??

I rest my case..  Wink

I think a one off with friends (in both cases) is a bit different than committing to membership in a band that will record and tour as
a solidified unit looking for "currency" so to speak.

Tying this back to topic...

If VR wants to aim at the audience targeted from their days with Weiland - the dude from Tesla ain't the answer.  If so, hello Rocklahoma....

Would love to see them pursue Abby Gennett - record a record in a month or 2 and slug it out in the clubs and on the radio station fest circuit..

Odds of the above happening??

About zilch..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #673 on: August 19, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »

If VR wants to aim at the audience targeted from their days with Weiland - the dude from Tesla ain't the answer.  If so, hello Rocklahoma....

Honest question though -- what audience were they targeting?  I never once met anyone who was particularly interested in VR that wasn't a pretty big Guns and/or STP fan.  Both of those bands were at their height of popularity in the early-mid 90's, and that album sold very well.   Although it would appear that a lot of those fans lost interest in VR based on the sales of Libertad.

Seemed like VR was most popular amongst people in the 20's-40's range, roughly the same age of the majority of people who are into  Guns and STP.  Although GnR and STP's music has had a lot more longevity than most bands from the late 80's/early 90's

I still maintain that VR's best bet at selling records is wrangling in the same audience who bought Contraband because with their style of music they aren't going to sell many records to the modern rock crowd
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #674 on: August 20, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »

I agree with the above post and that is why VR cannot go the Tesla, Bach route. Although to be honest they could probably make some cool music the style would be too dated. I thik that is why they originally went with Weiland. He has a more modern style than the other guys.

I even think that they should not do the Bluesy Rod Jackson, Chris Robinson approach beacuse it is too old school. Don't get me wrong I am not saying they should be Blink 182, Limp Bizkit, or Staind, which is not their style, but something unique like the Lenny Kravitz idea would have been the shit. He would have brought the perfect mix... his reputation, style, plays guitar, sings, writes, audience... he would have been the total package and could have probably helped VR make an album that would have done better than Contraband and brought excitement to the fans. What concerns me if they get someone that is not that exciting like the Space Hog guy... they may hover around the success of Libertad which could be detrimental to the band as a whole. 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #675 on: August 20, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »

But ironically I think the reason they sold mainly is because they DID sound "dated"

I think that a lot of people were looking for a good old fashioned hard rock album and there weren't any to be found, at least not in the mainstream.  Contraband stood out amongst the post-grunge slog precisely because it WAS dated

Truly, both VR albums could have been released in 1992 and would not have been out of place.  There was nothing modern sounding about them and ironically that was the appeal, at least to Contraband
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #676 on: August 21, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »

Shotgun I have to slightly disagree. Although I will not say VR has a really modern sound I would not say that they sound dated by any means. I think that they fall somewhere in the middle. I always felt Slash, Duff, and Matt brought that element of old school rock while Scott and Dave brought in  a more modern feel. I mean Scott is by no means does Scott sound like Rod Jackson or Chris Robinson, and Dave used a lot of different sounds on guita which GNR and Snakepit typically did not incorporate into their songs. I think this balanced the band and made it sound different from lets say Snakepit which I do like... but think is dated. I am not saying dated sounds bad its just that it is not going to sell as well with the casual fans. 

I think they sold albums because of two things 1. the members in the band makeing them a Supergroup 2. that they played pretty kick ass rock music with a slight modern twist. I also think that for some reason VR has not reached its greatest potential yet and that they have a lot more to offer if they allow themslves to be pushed by the right people.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #677 on: March 24, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »

how about joe leste?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: