Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash has listened to Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash has listened to Chinese Democracy  (Read 59659 times)
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »

Well that may be the case - but i think my points still stand and are still accurate.  peace

Riot In Everyone!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »

Threatning to ban someone because they dont tow the offical Gn'R line and agree with the old band seems to me to be an example of what i was trying to point out.

Excellent. You're using a joke to prove your point.

hihi

In case you didn't notice, D has kept posting here AFTER he made that post. Maybe you can explain how it's possible since you got all the answers.

And in case there's some kind of confusion, if you come here to say shit like "Axl should stop playing the GN'R songs he helped create at shows because Slash plays on them", you won't feel welcome.

Sorry.

And its knit picking to say there is one Gn'R - technically that may be correct - but when you have 2 seperate and totally differant sets of guys in the band over 2 distinct time frames with relativly zero cross over between the two groups other than the singer and the keyboard player then in my mind thats at the very least 2 differant stages of the same band - if calling them Gn'R Mk1 and Mk2 is better than old and new band then fine.

I call it GN'R. None of the "new" shit for me, and especially not any Mk1/Mk2. It's GN'R.

Just like I call the Rolling Stones the Rolling Stones.

Don't like it? Too fucking bad.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »

I don't hate him, I tired of his fanboys trolling GnR sites.   Has nothing to do with what Axl would think of me personally because I could give a shit about that.   

his fans are often not exclusivly HIS fans only. there are plenty who also like other things, such as the new GNR.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »

And its knit picking to say there is one Gn'R - technically that may be correct - but when you have 2 seperate and totally differant sets of guys in the band over 2 distinct time frames with relativly zero cross over between the two groups other than the singer and the keyboard player then in my mind thats at the very least 2 differant stages of the same band - if calling them Gn'R Mk1 and Mk2 is better than old and new band then fine.

I call it GN'R. None of the "new" shit for me, and especially not any Mk1/Mk2. It's GN'R.

/jarmo

Deep Purple would be a better example since they have had a ton of lineup changes.  In the Stones, Mick, Keith, and Charlie have been together since 1962 and Ronnie joined them in 1976.....  Bill Wyman was in the band 1962-1990 or so..... 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »

I respect Jarmo not wanting this place to be an Axl bash fest. That is understandable.  I just feel at times like you have to choose between the old and the current *how bout using current instead of new? ok* I don't think you have to.

The comment Lineker brought up that i said sounded more harsh than it would have in real life. Sometimes words are hard to truly interpret on message forums.

I just feel like Slash or whomever has earned the right to live off GNR for as long as they want. They helped create some of the greatest music ever and if they choose to promote themselves through it, I have no problem with that.

Truth is, they don't have much of a choice. Even if they didn't, they'd still be asked about it repeatedly so you might as well answer or you will come off bad and u will look like a bitter hater.

That was the basis of my comment which now looking back, I can see how it appeared to seem like something else.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »

I find it funny that Jarmo, Jim Bob, etc. are saying they are sick of Slash fans trolling and seem to think that all Slash fans are all here to bash Axl; yet all the people who are defending Slash on this thread are massive fans of Axl, the current lineup and Chinese Democracy, especially D.

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »

...with relativly zero cross over between the two groups other than the singer and the keyboard player...
Meaning that 'only' the Guitarists, Drummers, and Bassist left?  What if they kept the light guys and sound board tech?  At what point does this argument go away???  GnR is GnR because that is their legal name, the band never 'ended' or broke up, people left in 1996, 1997, 1998 and were replaced.  If it makes people feel better, or less confused, call them GnR 2.0, New GnR, purple headed yogurt slinger, whatever floats your boat - but they are still Guns N' Roses.  Slash was a great guitar player, but was replaced, because he was f--ked up on H and QUIT the biggest band in the world...I am sure he has come to terms with that (even if he still blames Axl in public), maybe someday his hardcore 'fans' will as well.

I am a fan of Slash, and have been able to get over him blowing the GnR thing (the Snakepit thing, the VR thing...but man can he play!), and setting back CD years...there is hope for the rest of you.   hihi

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

I find it funny that Jarmo, Jim Bob, etc. are saying they are sick of Slash fans trolling and seem to think that all Slash fans are all here to bash Axl; yet all the people who are defending Slash on this thread are massive fans of Axl, the current lineup and Chinese Democracy, especially D.

Yeah, I have a massive tattoo of Axl on my forearm yet I hate him...

I've always seen axl's point of view even if others dont give him the benefit of the doubt

I know first hand what it is like being sober and having to put up with and be around a bunch of druggies and drunks. It is not fun, its a huge pain in the ass and Im sure that had more to do with axl being the way he supposedly was than him simply being impossible or a dick.

Ive always said the stories about Axl didn't add up cause he let Izzy and Duff sing lead vocals on GNR songs. I dont know many frontmen who would allow other band members to do that.

so, I blame Slash and Co. maybe more for the breakup and I think I've always said that.

now, does that mean Slash and CO aren't allowed to promote themselves using their past work in GNR? NO, they wrote it, they were apart of it, so for me, it is more than OK for them to play songs or to talk about it.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »

now, does that mean Slash and CO aren't allowed to promote themselves using their past work in GNR? NO, they wrote it, they were apart of it, so for me, it is more than OK for them to play songs or to talk about it.
I think we all agree on that ....... BUT ... it seems that beginning with when VR was starting up (probably long before that only I didn't notice) till as recently as Duff on the Eddie Trunk radio show a week or so ago, the ex-gunners themselves keep saying how their careers have moved past their GNR days .... that is, up until the moment when they realize their new stuff isn't up to their 'past' standards in the eyes of the fans and then they're back to throwing GNR classics back into the mix (like the time VR was never ever never gonna do any more GNR or STP songs).  Maybe if THEY didn't spend so much time bashing "the old days" then maybe some of us wouldn't dwell on it either.  But it's hard to get past it when the same songs that the ex-gunners had to be "forced" to play back-in-the-day are the same ones they're still playing to this day ..... and still whining about in interviews!!! 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »

Like Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy, co-written by Slash and Duff? I doubt they had to be forced to play those. Slash admitted it with SCOM, thats it. Which VR never played, although he did play it recently with some female singer. Besides, hes clearly gotten over his initial hatred for that song and is known to be very proud of it now.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »

Like Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy, co-written by Slash and Duff? I doubt they had to be forced to play those. Slash admitted it with SCOM, thats it. Which VR never played, although he did play it recently with some female singer. Besides, hes clearly gotten over his initial hatred for that song and is known to be very proud of it now.

Patience
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »

I think realistically that was something they were never going to be able to do. They may have WANTED to stop playing their old bands' songs. but when a crowd pays money to see you, they expect to hear certain things and you have to please the fans to some degree.

If you go see Slash, you expect to hear a GNR song or two, that's just the way it is and that goes for all artists regardless.

Plus, you know they have to hold tons of regret about how things ended. Imagine being high and not in your right mind and you do something stupid. Then once you get sober and some distance, you probably realize how much you lost and how bad you blew it *Slash going to Axl's house* and I'm sure through regret you tell yourself "i'm just gonna get over it" we know that is easier said than done though.

Patience is an Izzy song, so those normally have been the neutral ones that anyone can play. It isn't like Scott pulled out a piano and did NR. That would even get me outraged.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

from what i've read; VR choose their GnR set-list from song's axl wasn't involved in the writing of (ISO, Brownstone, and patience)
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:25 AM »

Threatning to ban someone because they dont tow the offical Gn'R line and agree with the old band seems to me to be an example of what i was trying to point out.
And in case there's some kind of confusion, if you come here to say shit like "Axl should stop playing the GN'R songs he helped create at shows because Slash plays on them", you won't feel welcome.

Sorry.

/jarmo

Case in point - im defending the ex-gunners, even though ive made it clear im a fan of the current lineup - and for that reason im somehow bashing Axl and saying he cant play the old songs. Where exactly did i say that? Im a fan of both bands and have no problem with him playing some older songs, ive got no problem with any of the main ex-members playing Gn'R songs either, however as i keep saying ive got respect for the ex-gunners as well as Axl and so dont use every opportunity to have sly digs at them whenever possible - just like id get annoyed the same way if people were to have sly digs all the time at the current line-up. My point is perfectly proven by your respone to my post - on the defensive, accusing me of critising Axl when all im doing is to try and point out that its pointless having an ex-members section if all its gonna be is a section full of so called fans who hate the old lineup and are making snide comments that are just gonne cause arguments with fans of both era's.

Riot In Everyone!
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

from what i've read; VR choose their GnR set-list from song's axl wasn't involved in the writing of (ISO, Brownstone, and patience)

Ironically, according to Axl in 2002, Slash and Duff didn't originally like Patience.

And I've heard them play songs like Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine. They sucked. Maybe they're better off not doing so.
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »

Ironically, according to Axl in 2002, Slash and Duff didn't originally like Patience.

And I've heard them play songs like Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine. They sucked. Maybe they're better off not doing so.
Velvet Revolver has never played Paradice City and Sweet Child O' Mine. Slash and Duff has been doing it with other people just for fun and they play their instruments on those songs perfectly even if some of the guys they play with aren't that good all the time.
Maybe Slash and Duff like Patience now, Axl, Slash and Duff don't even know eachother anymore so Axl can't know that. What if Axl was wrong and Slash and Duff really liked Patience "originally"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:33:52 AM by Agno » Logged
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »

Slash's guitar on Paradise City (VR & Cypress Hill) was awful.
jeffaz02t
Opening Act

« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »

I like Axl. I like Slash. I like AFD, Lies UYI 1&2, SI, and now CD. I like Guns N' Roses, with Slash, without Slash. With Robin, and without Robin, with Bucket and without Bucket...

Would I welcome a reunion eventually, yes. Would I be mad if Axl decided he wanted to keep things as is forever? No. I love this lineup and I know Axl knows what is best for him to make the best possible music. Basically, what I am saying is that I trust Axl (not like he needs my approval for anything) because he has made the greatest music I have ever heard; a lot of it was with the help of Slash, and some, like CD, w/o Slash's services....

Everyone has their faults, and there is no way to know what the 'real' story behind GnR is. Let us just focus on their music. C'mon people, we just got 14 NEW SONGS from our fav. band. Let us argue more about Axl vs. Slash next year if you want, but right now we should focus on CD and these kick ass new tracks!

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »

According to Axl...........

I'm not saying Axl is definitely lying, but there is so much stuff thrown around back then who knows what is true and what isn't? All the guys have been caught out lying at one point or another - none of us were there so we don't know a truth. If Slash came out and said it then fair enough, but until I hear it from him I call bullshit.Why say he doesn't like SCOM but not say the same about Patience? He even had an opportunity in his autobiography.

Clearly if Slash and Duff decided to play the song with VR then at least one or most likely both is fond of it. I doubt it was Scott's choice.

JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2008, 11:37:40 PM »

/jarmo

Deep Purple would be a better example since they have had a ton of lineup changes.  In the Stones, Mick, Keith, and Charlie have been together since 1962 and Ronnie joined them in 1976.....  Bill Wyman was in the band 1962-1990 or so..... 

Good point.  Stones have basically been the same since the beginning.  One member died so they had to make a change.  Other than that, only one other has come and gone.  Bill, go fired and they never brought a "new" member in the band.  Only a traveling player.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: