Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227881 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses' current record company
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses' current record company  (Read 32182 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »

No way is CD a 'turd'. It's my second favourite GNR album. I genuinely believe it's a masterpiece.

Just opinions man.

I have mine and you have yours.   I stated why I think it's a turd   I also state I think one of the songs is all time great and a couple others a really good   Still turdy thoug

Yeah of course. I guess more people share your opinion than mine though! Out of interest which song do you think is the great? And what is it that makea you dislike the album so much? Genuinely interested.

There was a time is a top 5 gnr tune

Not lettin the original CD artists keep there work on the album hurts it for me.   The turds come in the second half. 

Madagascar, shacklers and sorry are good tunes

Agree on TWAT. Catcher and IRS too. I read through the cd booklet again recently actually- it's difficult to keep up with who plays what on that album!

So, ideally, you want an entirely new record with the band as they stand now? Or you want Slash and Duff to move on? It's sometimes hard to work out your ideal scenario with GNR!

I would take any new original music with the label gnr on it   Just one song

You got a cut off for that? Say they finish touring at the end of 2017, we hear nothing,  then 2019 they announce another tour. What would your reaction be?

My reaction then would be the same as now.   

I feel they fall back on cover music far to much

They are alr day playing cities in 2017 that they just played.   So why do I have to wait till 2019?

Some people are fine watching this band do thebsame schtick night in and night.   Others arnt

How many times could they play your home town or local market with this same show? 

Personally, if they came round every, say 2 years or so, I'd be there. I'd be there if they played every year really. That's because they're my favourite band, I know I'll have a good time, and I'd enjoy it. I'll take what I can get on that front.

On the side of new music- yeah I'm massively keen. I really want it to happen. But I'm not letting it override and spoil my having a few more great nights out watching my favourite band, which I feel like you are. Just go with it. I wager 99.9999 per cent of this board want new material, it's not just you. don't let it get you down!

They are play vegas for the third time on a year and a half.   Is it wrong to expect a new show?

They are playing Toronto again   Is it so wrong to expect something different?

Well you may be fine with the band playin your Market every two years for the same show

They are now playing. My markets every year and eventually it would be nice to hear a new original song

It's not WRONG, but it's not RIGHT either. It is what it is- a tour. I mean, you're the consumer, you don't want what they're offering, you don't have to buy it. If it was me- I'd go again, and the same show wouldn't bother me. I know what I'm getting, and it's up to me. I know I'd have a great night out.

How about we see where we stand live show-wise come the (presumed) end of the tour in November? Let's come back to setlist discussion then.

Anyway- we'd better not derail this thread too much, as it's meant to be about the record label situation!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »

No way is CD a 'turd'. It's my second favourite GNR album. I genuinely believe it's a masterpiece.

Just opinions man.

I have mine and you have yours.   I stated why I think it's a turd   I also state I think one of the songs is all time great and a couple others a really good   Still turdy thoug

Yeah of course. I guess more people share your opinion than mine though! Out of interest which song do you think is the great? And what is it that makea you dislike the album so much? Genuinely interested.

There was a time is a top 5 gnr tune

Not lettin the original CD artists keep there work on the album hurts it for me.   The turds come in the second half. 

Madagascar, shacklers and sorry are good tunes

Agree on TWAT. Catcher and IRS too. I read through the cd booklet again recently actually- it's difficult to keep up with who plays what on that album!

So, ideally, you want an entirely new record with the band as they stand now? Or you want Slash and Duff to move on? It's sometimes hard to work out your ideal scenario with GNR!

I would take any new original music with the label gnr on it   Just one song

You got a cut off for that? Say they finish touring at the end of 2017, we hear nothing,  then 2019 they announce another tour. What would your reaction be?

My reaction then would be the same as now.   

I feel they fall back on cover music far to much

They are alr day playing cities in 2017 that they just played.   So why do I have to wait till 2019?

Some people are fine watching this band do thebsame schtick night in and night.   Others arnt

How many times could they play your home town or local market with this same show? 

Personally, if they came round every, say 2 years or so, I'd be there. I'd be there if they played every year really. That's because they're my favourite band, I know I'll have a good time, and I'd enjoy it. I'll take what I can get on that front.

On the side of new music- yeah I'm massively keen. I really want it to happen. But I'm not letting it override and spoil my having a few more great nights out watching my favourite band, which I feel like you are. Just go with it. I wager 99.9999 per cent of this board want new material, it's not just you. don't let it get you down!

They are play vegas for the third time on a year and a half.   Is it wrong to expect a new show?

They are playing Toronto again   Is it so wrong to expect something different?

Well you may be fine with the band playin your Market every two years for the same show

They are now playing. My markets every year and eventually it would be nice to hear a new original song

It's not WRONG, but it's not RIGHT either. It is what it is- a tour. I mean, you're the consumer, you don't want what they're offering, you don't have to buy it. If it was me- I'd go again, and the same show wouldn't bother me. I know what I'm getting, and it's up to me. I know I'd have a great night out.

How about we see where we stand live show-wise come the (presumed) end of the tour in November? Let's come back to setlist discussion then.

Anyway- we'd better not derail this thread too much, as it's meant to be about the record label situation!

Well it's two different things   Well many different things

Not enough original music
Too many covers
And the same show in the same markets just played

I really hope in vegas we will get something different
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »

Damn shame the record industry is destroyed
The blame is fully on each and every person who thinks music isn't something worth paying.  Fuck each and every of them- they're not fans of music, they're fucking vultures.  And they'll use every excuse and reason in the book to justify the simple fact that they don't want to put their hands in their pocket.

That's the opinion of the decade right there.   ok

It's not because there's no good music, as a lot of illegal downloaders claim.  Even if there's a lack of it, what those dumbasses don't understand is that record companies don't take chances on new bands because of illegal downloading.  So the jerkoffs who illegally download music are hurting themselves as the music fans they claim they are, and they're hurting the artists they claim to support.

Human beings have a tendency to create and embrace technology that destroys them rather than advocates them, and all software that enables illegal downloading is certainly among that.

It's really a crying shame that technology advances too fast for it to contain itself and correct the repercussions along the way.  It's ridiculous that after all these years of illegal downloading, nobody has been able to concoct ANY technological antidote that actually works well enough to cap it off.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »

The blame is fully on each and every person who thinks music isn't something worth paying.  Fuck each and every of them- they're not fans of music, they're fucking vultures.  And they'll use every excuse and reason in the book to justify the simple fact that they don't want to put their hands in their pocket.

It's not because there's no good music, as a lot of illegal downloaders claim.  Even if there's a lack of it, what those dumbasses don't understand is that record companies don't take chances on new bands because of illegal downloading.  So the jerkoffs who illegally download music are hurting themselves as the music fans they claim they are, and they're hurting the artists they claim to support.

Human beings have a tendency to create and embrace technology that destroys them rather than advocates them, and all software that enables illegal downloading is certainly among that.

It's really a crying shame that technology advances too fast for it to contain itself and correct the repercussions along the way.  It's ridiculous that after all these years of illegal downloading, nobody has been able to concoct ANY technological antidote that actually works well enough to cap it off.

The best I've heard is "Oh I love music so much I can't possibly afford to buy it all". But you CAN afford that new pair of Nikes right? And that iPhone? Etc etc. But you won't stick your hand in your pocket to buy a 10 dollar CD by a struggling new band? Come off it. People are full of shit- and the fact they ruin my chances of hearing new music and letting it develop to it's full potential really angers me- as my view you quoted above probably says!

Without a doubt it's one of the reasons there is no new music from GNR. Not saying it's the ONLY one by any means, but it's one of them for sure.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2017, 07:40:04 AM »

The best I've heard is "Oh I love music so much I can't possibly afford to buy it all". But you CAN afford that new pair of Nikes right? And that iPhone? Etc etc. But you won't stick your hand in your pocket to buy a 10 dollar CD by a struggling new band? Come off it. People are full of shit- and the fact they ruin my chances of hearing new music and letting it develop to it's full potential really angers me- as my view you quoted above probably says!

Without a doubt it's one of the reasons there is no new music from GNR. Not saying it's the ONLY one by any means, but it's one of them for sure.

GNR is not a struggling new band

GNR has an open market of roughly 50 000 fans every night that buy any thing from a silly t shirt to a silly poster at every concert.  Are you telling me these fans would not also be open to buying a new album at these concerts?   Geeze this isn't a struggling band playing in front of 10 relatives every night.  The market is right there.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »

GNR has an open market of roughly 50 000 fans every night that buy any thing from a silly t shirt to a silly poster at every concert.  Are you telling me these fans would not also be open to buying a new album at these concerts?   Geeze this isn't a struggling band playing in front of 10 relatives every night.  The market is right there.

No one is saying that. What we're saying is that, in general, the marketing and sales potential of new music has taken a massive hit. That means there's not as much pressure, or incentive on ANYONE to release new music. Touring is where the money is at now.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »

No one is saying that. What we're saying is that, in general, the marketing and sales potential of new music has taken a massive hit. That means there's not as much pressure, or incentive on ANYONE to release new music. Touring is where the money is at now.

Gun n roses are a rarity right now in music

Huge rock band touring to huge sold out shows

If people are willing to shell out 40 for a silly t shirt at these shows.  They would be willing to shell out 20 for a new album st the show

The reason they do not have a new album or a new song out is because of Axl

There are no mystery reasons.   With the record label.  Or the state of music sales today or anything else.   

If Axl wanted to release a new single we would have it.   
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »

If people are willing to shell out 40 for a silly t shirt at these shows.  They would be willing to shell out 20 for a new album st the show

There are no mystery reasons.   With the record label.  Or the state of music sales today or anything else.   

That's the point we're making though- people AREN'T willing to pay for an album. They feel it should be free.
Take this, from Roger Daltry of The Who for instance:

Daltrey scoffed at the idea of releasing new music during a recent interview with Rolling Stone, admitting that although he and his fellow Who survivor Pete Townshend have ?talked about? making another album, he no longer sees the point.

?There?s no record industry anymore. Why would I make a record?? Daltrey wondered. ?I would have to pay to make a record. There?s no royalties, so I can?t see that ever happening. There?s no record business. How do you get the money to make the records? I don?t know. I?m certainly not going to pay money to give my music away free. I can?t afford to do that. I?ve got other things I could waste the money on.?

?The way the internet has come about has been the biggest robbery in history, like musicians should work for nothing,? he argued. ?You get paid for streaming, my ass. There?s no control. Musicians are getting robbed every day. And now it?s creeping into film and television, everything now. You notice, the internet is a slowly but surely destructive thing in all ways. I don?t think it?s improved people?s lives. It?s just made them do more work and feel like they?re wanted a bit more, but it?s all bollocks.?

So that's The Who, basically saying they won't record and release anything more, and piracy is the reason. There will be many many others like that too. Who's to say GNR don't feel the same?  We're suggesting that this could be ONE of MANY reasons that new music isn't forthcoming.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »

That's the point we're making though- people AREN'T willing to pay for an album. They feel it should be free.
Take this, from Roger Daltry of The Who for instance:

Daltrey scoffed at the idea of releasing new music during a recent interview with Rolling Stone, admitting that although he and his fellow Who survivor Pete Townshend have ?talked about? making another album, he no longer sees the point.

?There?s no record industry anymore. Why would I make a record?? Daltrey wondered. ?I would have to pay to make a record. There?s no royalties, so I can?t see that ever happening. There?s no record business. How do you get the money to make the records? I don?t know. I?m certainly not going to pay money to give my music away free. I can?t afford to do that. I?ve got other things I could waste the money on.?

?The way the internet has come about has been the biggest robbery in history, like musicians should work for nothing,? he argued. ?You get paid for streaming, my ass. There?s no control. Musicians are getting robbed every day. And now it?s creeping into film and television, everything now. You notice, the internet is a slowly but surely destructive thing in all ways. I don?t think it?s improved people?s lives. It?s just made them do more work and feel like they?re wanted a bit more, but it?s all bollocks.?

So that's The Who, basically saying they won't record and release anything more, and piracy is the reason. There will be many many others like that too. Who's to say GNR don't feel the same?  We're suggesting that this could be ONE of MANY reasons that new music isn't forthcoming.

The Who, have many many many more albums than GNR

The Who are not touring to sell out world wide crowds like GNR are.   

None of what you are saying relates to GNR

They are a rarity in this case.  A few reasons.

The are performing to world wide concerts 50 000 a night.  Millions of fans have spent hundreds of dollars supporting this band recently

These fans are buying silly stuff at these concerts, from foam fingers to posters to t shirts.  These fans would welcome the idea of spending money on a new album or single.

From all accounts the second half of the CD album is already recorded as well as a remix album.  Where are the costs involved here?

There are many excuses why this band hasn't released a new album in years but no reasons other than Axl himself
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »

My own opinion is that new music from GNR and downloading songs from the internet are two separate issues.

I have said this before that it's still too soon for GNR to put out a new single or an album. They are still touring and traveling to places that the three of them TOGETHER haven't been to since the early 90s. For example, I read this morning that they will be in Israel on July 16th. It's the first time since 1993 that they have traveled together to Israel. It's also the first time where it is a completely soldout outside concert.

Having said that, downloading music is just an excuse NOT to create new music by bands. Stevie Nicks used that excuse for not rejoining Fleetwood Mac for a new album. There were rumors that she either didn't want to  be in the same room as Lindsay Buckingham or that she's focus on her solo career. Members of Fleetwood Mac did appear on an album by Buckingham and McVie. In addition, you do have bands like Halestorm, Shinedown,  Pretty Reckless, etc. that are creating new music despite the Internet age.  Furthermore, you'll never see any genre dominate music like the pre-Internet age. There's just too many avenues to consume music.   
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »

My own opinion is that new music from GNR and downloading songs from the internet are two separate issues.

I have said this before that it's still too soon for GNR to put out a new single or an album. They are still touring and traveling to places that the three of them TOGETHER haven't been to since the early 90s. For example, I read this morning that they will be in Israel on July 16th. It's the first time since 1993 that they have traveled together to Israel. It's also the first time where it is a completely soldout outside concert.

Having said that, downloading music is just an excuse NOT to create new music by bands. Stevie Nicks used that excuse for not rejoining Fleetwood Mac for a new album. There were rumors that she either didn't want to  be in the same room as Lindsay Buckingham or that she's focus on her solo career. Members of Fleetwood Mac did appear on an album by Buckingham and McVie. In addition, you do have bands like Halestorm, Shinedown,  Pretty Reckless, etc. that are creating new music despite the Internet age.  Furthermore, you'll never see any genre dominate music like the pre-Internet age. There's just too many avenues to consume music.   

They are def two separate issues

Just curious.

When in your mind isn't it going to be too soon for GNR to put out a single or a album? 

You used the excuse I have been reading for a year, they are touring and showing this act to people that havnt seen it before.  Cool.

So are they not coming back to North America right away and playing markets, if not cities they have just previously played?

What is your time frame opinion?  And how many visits to cities does this band get to make before we start asking for new material
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »

Baconman- to me the tour isn't an excuse. Axl and Slash had a huge falling out. They didn't speak for 20 something years. Obviously, it was something major for it to be that long. There's been hints throughout the years, but no one knows for sure exactly what happened except for Axl and Slash.

When you have been away from a person for that long due to that type of an argument then it's going to take some time for two people to reestablish the relationship. I think this tour helped them to reestablish the chemistry and their friendship.

It seems like this tour will be over in the fall. If we don't get any new music at some point next year then I would have to be concerned and say that it's probably over. Until then, let them enjoy traveling the world and the people who haven't seen them, yet, enjoy it as well!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »

Baconman- to me the tour isn't an excuse. Axl and Slash had a huge falling out. They didn't speak for 20 something years. Obviously, it was something major for it to be that long. There's been hints throughout the years, but no one knows for sure exactly what happened except for Axl and Slash.

When you have been away from a person for that long due to that type of an argument then it's going to take some time for two people to reestablish the relationship. I think this tour helped them to reestablish the chemistry and their friendship.

It seems like this tour will be over in the fall. If we don't get any new music at some point next year then I would have to be concerned and say that it's probably over. Until then, let them enjoy traveling the world and the people who haven't seen them, yet, enjoy it as well!

Nobody likes to answer the question

You just said give the world time to see this act and then we can talk about new music.  You said it's too soon to release something   It's what you said

So when they play a city they have just played a year previous hasn't that city seen this show yet?

Now you are saying the fall...    so what if more arena tour dates are announced in cities they have just played?

How many times do they get to play the same market with the same show before the request should be made to release new music ?   

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

In some instances, some people have not seen the show if it was in the same area.

I can tell you that some people didn't see GNR when they were at MetLife Stadium. MetLife Stadium is 14 miles from NYC. However, it is very hard to get to via train or bus.  It's located in the middle of a freaking swamp. Commuting to work in NYC from NJ, I can assure you that NJ Transit has become unreliable in the 13 years that I have commuted. It is also the second largest public transportation system in the U.S.

For people who live in Manhattan, it's easier to go to a show if it's in Madison Square Garden, Barclay Center, Yankee Stadium, or Citifield. It's much tougher to go to MetLife even though MetLife is only 14 miles away. The same holds true if you are commuting into NYC to see a concert/show. I'm going to the October 11th show since I work in NYC. If October 15th was the only available show then I wouldn't be going due to how difficult  NJ Transit is for a Sunday night/Monday morning. I have friends of mine who would go to the show if it was on a Friday or Saturday, but due to the commute it's just not possible. 
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »

If they feel they can hit the same cities on the same tour and still sell tickets, then ok, cool. No one is making anyone go. When this tour finishes and the band actually have free time, THEN is the time. It doesn't seem it but it's exhausting being on tour.

Let's give them time. Get worried if there's another tour in a few years with no new material. If that happens, we can probably assume it's game over for new music.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »

In some instances, some people have not seen the show if it was in the same area.

I can tell you that some people didn't see GNR when they were at MetLife Stadium. MetLife Stadium is 14 miles from NYC. However, it is very hard to get to via train or bus.  It's located in the middle of a freaking swamp. Commuting to work in NYC from NJ, I can assure you that NJ Transit has become unreliable in the 13 years that I have commuted. It is also the second largest public transportation system in the U.S.

For people who live in Manhattan, it's easier to go to a show if it's in Madison Square Garden, Barclay Center, Yankee Stadium, or Citifield. It's much tougher to go to MetLife even though MetLife is only 14 miles away. The same holds true if you are commuting into NYC to see a concert/show. I'm going to the October 11th show since I work in NYC. If October 15th was the only available show then I wouldn't be going due to how difficult  NJ Transit is for a Sunday night/Monday morning. I have friends of mine who would go to the show if it was on a Friday or Saturday, but due to the commute it's just not possible. 

Again you didn't answer any question, just gave a round about opinion.

In Vegas they are playing the exact same venue they have played twice before.

In Toronto they are playing a venue that is a 5 min walk from the one the played a year before
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »

If they feel they can hit the same cities on the same tour and still sell tickets, then ok, cool. No one is making anyone go. When this tour finishes and the band actually have free time, THEN is the time. It doesn't seem it but it's exhausting being on tour.

Let's give them time. Get worried if there's another tour in a few years with no new material. If that happens, we can probably assume it's game over for new music.

A few years?  Oh man, you do have some patience.   

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »

In Toronto they are playing a venue that is a 5 min walk from the one the played a year before

I can't really talk about why they are playing in the same venue for Vegas or Toronto. I'm not from there. I CAN talk about why they are playing the NYC area TWICE in 2 years since I am from the area.  I'm giving you the answer BUT you don't want to listen.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »

I can't really talk about why they are playing in the same venue for Vegas or Toronto. I'm not from there. I CAN talk about why they are playing the NYC area TWICE in 2 years since I am from the area.  I'm giving you the answer BUT you don't want to listen.

They are touring arenas in the fall.  Many markets are the exact same   One venue is the exact same   You gave an example of one market where the stadium and arena are not close.  I gave two examples.  One where the venue is exactly the same and the other where the venue is 5 mins from the stadium that they played at last year

This is all in relation to your comment that everyone has to have a chance to see this band  give them some time and a chance before a single or album comes out   Are you only speaking for your specific market now?  If so when does that end?  Do they now have to play a small club as well in New York?  Oh yeah they are doing that right away as well

If you are talking about the tour as a whole like everyone else then when does it end?  How many times are they allowed to play vegas now without producing new material ?    When is enough enough   
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »

Bacon, you are talking like these shows have already happened.

They're still in Europe.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: