Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The "Slither" thread (post your opinions here)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Slither" thread (post your opinions here)  (Read 45834 times)
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2004, 01:21:13 PM »

I like the song lyrics, guitar the drums could be better but ah well and the vocals are alright.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2004, 01:35:12 PM »

listen to the rhythm guitar during the solo! it's brilliant!! very
Izzy-esque!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2004, 01:51:21 PM »

Izzy-esque!!
Go listen to Rocket Queen. That is a brilliant rhythm guitar! There's nothing brilliant in Kushner's track.

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2004, 06:31:31 PM »

Very good sond,very good band,but that doesn't do it for us: We're used to Guns N' Fuckin Roses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We want perfection!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2004, 10:08:58 AM »

I'm no too crazy about the song. I liked the live version but still not too happy with the studio track. It's a rocker but doesn't really get me going. It's a decent rock and roll song but not any better than any STP song. You got no right is much better.

K-Rock
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2004, 01:41:39 PM »

Izzy-esque!!

I did and I love it!!  Actually the rythm is top-notch all the way through.

I now OFFICIALLY love this song and am getting REAL excited about getting this album.

GN'R Lives!!!
lastroots
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2004, 06:22:42 PM »

I didn't read the whole thread, just wanna share my opinion:

I listened to it two times just a few minutes ago. When I first listened to it on Saturday it just bored me to death, so I listened again now .

And .. it still is the most boring song I heard in a long time. I mean, I kinda liked "Set Me Free" except for the lyrics which sounded just dumb and uninspired to me. For "Slither" I didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics, I just listened. Scott's singning is mediocre. Matt's drumming is just .. well, boring. The rest, including Slash's solo sounds absolutely uninspired to me. That's music I heard a thousand times before and it didn't even excite me in the first place.

So Slither is a huge letdown for me. Even though you know I'm more of an Axl-fan than a Slash-fan, I still was excited about VR and their upcoming album. But this just ruined my expectations. Just as Jarmo said, I'm not even sure now if I'll buy the album. I'll listen to the other songs before I'll make a decision.

As hard as it may sound but every single song off "Ain't Life Grand" excites me way more than this.

/lastroots
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2004, 11:02:17 PM »

this riff kicks fuckin ass, slashs work is amazing

i think this song is pretty fuckin good, way better than set me free, cant touch any of the few GNR songs we've heard though

i dont share the opinions of my friends by the way, i love slash i think he is the greatest guitarist ever, i was just sayin what some other people who arent emotionally attached thought

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2004, 01:57:06 AM »

I'm a huge Slash fan and I'm a new GN'R fan and I really like Slither. While I'll admit it's not as great as I expected it to be, I still think it's a solid modern rock song.
Also, now that I've heard the excellent quality studio version, I like it even more. And cranked up loud it f**kin rocks.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2004, 03:11:20 AM »

Does anyone know the next single after slither?

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2004, 06:34:44 AM »

First off,

From this thread, and the other 1,000 threads examining NuGN'R songs, it seems pretty obvious ...

NuGN'R has most of the optimists in the GNR fan base
and
Velvet Revolver has most of the pessimists.

Either that, or CD is set to become one of the best records ever, while Contraband will go off as the muffled shot from a velvet revolver....

I doubt any VR fan would agree with the latter statement, so let's stick to the former.

Second,

Assuming my first assumption is correct,

You VR fans are a pretty sorry lot. Here you have a damn good song ... well, SOLID (is the key word here). And you complain.

Now, the song isn't perfect ... very little is in our world today. The song makes very little use of Slash (as a lead guitarist). Makes even less use of Matt. And Duff, well, I couldn't even hear him (although you could chalk that up to me having heard a rather crappy 96 Kbps Version of the song). Has a rather weak ending in the chorus. Lastly, THERE ISN'T ANY SCREAMING!

But enough of what the song doesn't have and what the song doesn't do. WHAT DOES THE SONG DO!!??!!

Two words, KILLER RIFF. I mean the riff is so fucking Slash-esque, I'd be surprised if Kushner had anything to do with it. Then, pretty stable verse - dark and brooding (I hope that's what they were going for). I'm liking the tune he's given the verses. And I love the "Oi's" he's put in during the riff. Good solo. Fast-Paced song with Slower Lyrics = Good Combo.

What I wish they'd done -

Made more use of Slash as a lead guitarist before the solo kicked in.

I wish Scott would have screamed a bit for the chorus, or come up with something more "Kick-in-the-balls" You know what I mean? I'm not asking for an Axl, but at least something like what Chris Cornell does.

Perhaps, changed the chord progression for the verse.

Maybe, continued with the chorus into the riff (after the chorus was said once)

Overall -

Like I said before, this is a SOLID rock song. Nothing more you could ask for.

Somehow, while writing this review I've come to a rather surprising conclusion.

Picture a slower "Set Me Free".

Slither is exactly that. Nothing much changes. It even sounds similar. Even the solo is about as long as the SMF solo.

(A little trivia - The SMF solo is about 25 seconds .. the Slither Solo about 27 seconds ... and SCOM ? A WHOLE MINUTE and a few seconds longer. And it even continues into the ending chorus)

Now, even the song lengths of SMF and Slither are similar 4:07 and 4:09 respectively.

Here's the key though, I'm pretty damn sure this isn't the BEST from the VR music box. Nope, I'm sure they've saved some killer stuff for later (Even GNR did ... SCOM).

While this isn't a BAD song ... and while this isn't a GREAT song, I'm left with the conclusion that this is a better SMF (making it a pretty good song).

- WMD

No.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2004, 10:19:04 AM »

Everything you said is the reason why the song was shortened by by 2min and the reason why it was chosen as the first single. You can thank the industry for that one. The song was a masterpiece before.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2004, 10:22:36 AM »

Has anyone checked out the new video clip posted on VR's website?  It's like the first 15 seconds or so of the Slither music video.

There was no shots of the band, but it actually looked pretty cool.  Somehow, watching that video made me like the song even more.  I'm getting really excited about this album.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2004, 01:18:23 PM »

Has anyone checked out the new video clip posted on VR's website?  It's like the first 15 seconds or so of the Slither music video.

There was no shots of the band, but it actually looked pretty cool.  Somehow, watching that video made me like the song even more.  I'm getting really excited about this album.

Fuck yeah!

It's actually 51 seconds long .. and damn it's great.

I'd mentioned in my review of the song that the singing style was kinda dark and that's exactly what the video seems like. It's damn cool how they change the pace when the riff kicks in ... Can't wait for the next posting ... (they said a week ... is that thursday?)

No.
DOASHK
p00p yea
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2004, 01:39:59 PM »

Axl's Voice is horrible now it wasnt but now it is and now in my opinion weilands voice is better than axls almost hilarious vocals
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2004, 11:00:33 PM »

This song flat out kicks ass!!! It has the best elements of GnR and Scott. Great stuff and already it is all over the radio. Go VR!!!! The first time I heard it with that radio broadcast with the weak mp3 I couldn't really tell. Now that I have heard the real deal a couple times, I can't get the fucking thing out of my mind. Scott sings his melody over Slash's riff perfectly.  I still liked it better when Slash tuned down, he seemed to have better tone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 02:46:31 AM by tomass74 » Logged

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2004, 02:49:47 AM »

Hey what does everyone think of Slither?  To me, it just sounds like STP but with guitar solos, nothing special.  I mean the song itself isn't bad, but nothing that we haven't heard before.  Also, Slash's solo in it definitely isn't one of his best.

Huh STP has plenty of solos.....

Annie
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2004, 02:05:40 PM »

I dislike it so much that if I ever hear it on the radio i will change the station. Tongue
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2004, 09:24:10 PM »

Slither is okay.  Stylistically, it sounds very much like STP though.  It's not just Weilands' vocals, it's the pacing of the song, etc., it's very STP.  That's what I don't like about it.  It doesn't have the "bluesy" trademark of Slash, imo.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2004, 10:22:04 PM »

There is a better song in Contraband. It's called You Got No Right! It rocks, at least live...  yes

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: