Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:33:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227834 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver won their first Grammy
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver won their first Grammy  (Read 32281 times)
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« on: February 13, 2005, 07:32:46 PM »

I just saw Velvet Revolver won their first Grammy in the Best Hard Rock Performance category for Slither... this wasn't in the tv show, but in the preview... Telecast I believe is the name of that part... the ones that doesn't go live on tv.
Congrats for Slash and the boys !

//JK
EricaLyn087
Headliner

Showtime for strangers

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »

AWESOME!!! 1 down, 2 to go... they can do it!!

Scott and Mary were just interviewed by Melissa Rivers and Scott looked great. Granted, he had fire-engine red spiked hair but he looks and sounds great. Smiley

"One time we played a concert in Antwerp, Belgium. At least I thought it was Antwerp, Belgium. Turns out it was a Stop 'n Shop in Wisconsin somewhere, but it was fun man." -- Slash
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 08:41:02 PM »

I find the Grammys to be worthless, but this is great news nonetheless.  beer
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 08:42:42 PM »

I find the Grammys to be worthless, but this is great news nonetheless.? beer

I agree, the Grammys have lost something - however this is still a huge honour for Slash and the guys, they must be absolutley stoked!  ok

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:53:48 PM »

I am not fond of the Grammy's but it is nice they are honored. Congrats to them!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 08:58:40 PM »

"Fall To Pieces" was nominated in the Best Rock Song category (U2's "Vertigo" won) and "Contraband" was nominated in the Best Rock Album (Green Day's "American Idiot" won that one).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ummagumma
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 08:59:46 PM »

http://www.grammys.com/awards/grammy/47winners.aspx#04

-Hard Rock Performance-

-gumMA
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 09:23:51 PM »

I am watching the Grammys for Velvet Revolver and U2 !
U2 was great in their performance... I'm waiting for Slash and the boys with Bono, Steven Tyler, etc...
I'm excited for their performance and the Beatles song they are going to play is one I love.

//JK
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »

I just got home and the grammys being as terrible as they are don't feel like watching the rest if VR already went on. If anyone could give me a heads up if they see this I'd appreciate it.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
RyanMFGs
Rocker

GN F'N R, MFGs

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 10:36:44 PM »

they wont be on til last

To think the one you love could hurt ya now, it's a little hard to believe.. but everybody darlin sometimes bites thehand that feeds.
Gemini Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 10:48:23 PM »

Just saw Slash and co perform, they were great.  Definitely great news on winning the grammy.  They deserve it.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 10:51:29 PM »

IMO they should've let VR perform 'Across The Universe' by themselves because that really sucked big time.
Scott was the only one who carried it off as far as the singers went.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 10:58:50 PM »

IMO they should've let VR perform 'Across The Universe' by themselves because that really sucked big time.
Scott was the only one who carried it off as far as the singers went.

Ya... Bono, Stevie Wonder, Steve Tyler et al really suck.. Roll Eyes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 11:02:50 PM »

Ya... Bono, Stevie Wonder, Steve Tyler et al really suck.. Roll Eyes

Yeah, in that performance, they did.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
RyanMFGs
Rocker

GN F'N R, MFGs

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 11:09:22 PM »

Weiland looked the coolest for sure... Sounded like Bowie a lot on that cover. I thought Steven Tyler did alright.

Stevie's harmonica solo ruled, but he sounded like shit. Alicia Keys sang like it was American Idol, and the others were just too strange. Bono wasn't that bad, although I hate him.

To think the one you love could hurt ya now, it's a little hard to believe.. but everybody darlin sometimes bites thehand that feeds.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 11:29:10 PM »

whats up with the steven tyler hating?

Steven Tyler is honestly probably the greatest rock singer EVER

Scott did good but VR looked pretty lame in my opinion doing this

not exactly the most dangerous band in the world with the hand claps or whatever that was Dave and Matt were doin.

wish they wouldve politely declined that invitation.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 11:37:56 PM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Southern Rock Tribute focking ruled!!! Man, those guys can play a guitar.  That was awesome and I wish Slash was up there with those guys jamming out!!  It was great!!!!!!!!!
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 11:38:53 PM »

the green day dude sucked!!!!

RichardNixon
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 11:40:16 PM »

not exactly the most dangerous band in the world with the hand claps or whatever that was Dave and Matt were doin.

Steven Tyler is a whore and a sellout and hasn't made a good album since 1982.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 11:42:06 PM »

Again, the best, most honest, real rock band tonight was the legendary Skynyrd and Dicky Betts.  They don't beotch or try to be anything they are not.  They just rocked!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 12:48:22 AM »

fookin a@!
slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 02:46:57 AM »

thats great news. some well deserved pay off for VR.s hard work.

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 05:15:32 AM »

That's your opinion. I am not a big fan of the newer Aerosmith but their last album kicked ass and their Live shows are still getting better every year.

thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 06:24:39 AM »

pah, you might not like that but i don't see how you can say pump, nine lives or honkin on bobo are, on the whole, "sellout" albums. nine lives comes closest perhaps with hole in my soul being on there but no way are pump and ESPECIALLY honkin on bobo are sellout albums. and by the way honkin came out   last bloody year! Smiley
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »

VELVET REVOLVER and MOT?RHEAD won prizes in early ceremonies at the 47th annual Grammy Awards on Sunday (Feb. 13). VELVET REVOLVER were honored with a Grammy in the Best Hard Rock Performance category (for "Slither"), where they beat out the likes of INCUBUS ("Megalomaniac"), METALLICA ("Some Kind of Monster"), NICKELBACK ("Feelin' Way Too Damn Good") and SLIPKNOT ("Duality"), Meanwhile, MOT?RHEAD picked up a Grammy in the Best Metal Performance category for their cover of METALLICA's "Whiplash", shutting out CRADLE OF FILTH ("Nymphetamine"), HATEBREED ("Live For This"), KILLSWITCH ENGAGE ("The End of Heartache") and SLIPKNOT ("Vermilion").

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 12:22:19 PM »

All the singers were good, the performance was uneven, but I suppose that is the result of being thrown together at the last minute with a mishmash of genres.  Alison Kraus should have sang, she's awesome and Brian Wilson always looks so goddam crazy. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 12:41:43 PM »

Declined an invitation to help fund disaster relief efforts?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005, 01:16:30 PM »

Source:? MSN Music News

Tsunami Tribute Doesn't Live Up to Buildup

They channeled the 1980s on Sunday night when a Grammy all-star group sang "Across the Universe" to benefit tsunami victims.

Remember Band Aid? And "We Are the World"? Forget "Across the Universe." You can buy it from iTunes with proceeds going to tsunami relief ? but better to send in your money and delete the song.

Bono looked vaguely embarrassed to be there. The song was a couple of keys away from Norah Jones' comfort zone. Steven Tyler tried to wail it into an Aerosmith song.

And why couldn't Scott Weiland have stayed in the background with the rest of Velvet Revolver?

Only Alicia Keys ? the undisputed star of Grammy night ? sounded truly terrific.

The song was also an odd choice. You usually can't go wrong with the Beatles, but a song with the chorus of "nothing's gonna change my world" is too insular for its mission. Everyone seemed to realize that when it was changed to "something's gonna change my world" at the end.

Good intentions. Nice try. Better to forget it quickly.

noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »

I think it's nice that Velvet Revolver and Motorhead won a grammy...it may seem worthless from our small fishbowl...but those corporate folks with the tight asses who own the record companies think that shit is pretty nice... Grin

Way to go Slash and company!
Way to Go Motorhead!
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 03:04:43 PM »

Source:  MSN Music News

They channeled the 1980s on Sunday night when a Grammy all-star group sang "Across the Universe" to benefit tsunami victims.

Remember Band Aid? And "We Are the World"? Forget "Across the Universe." You can buy it from iTunes with proceeds going to tsunami relief ? but better to send in your money and delete the song.

Bono looked vaguely embarrassed to be there. The song was a couple of keys away from Norah Jones' comfort zone. Steven Tyler tried to wail it into an Aerosmith song.

And why couldn't Scott Weiland have stayed in the background with the rest of Velvet Revolver?

Only Alicia Keys ? the undisputed star of Grammy night ? sounded truly terrific.

The song was also an odd choice. You usually can't go wrong with the Beatles, but a song with the chorus of "nothing's gonna change my world" is too insular for its mission. Everyone seemed to realize that when it was changed to "something's gonna change my world" at the end.

I think they're a bit harsh on scott here, i thought he sang brilliantly, he sounded like David Bowie...It wasnt the best put together collaboration though...it got better towards the end

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 06:07:31 PM »

Source:? MSN Music News

I think they're a bit harsh on scott here, i thought he sang brilliantly, he sounded like David Bowie...It wasnt the best put together collaboration though...it got better towards the end

Why do a lot  of these writers like to be wise asses? This prick actually took a jab at Steven Tyler, I mean the guy wrote Dream On man, show some respect. Then to go on and say "trying to wail it into an Aerosmith song". Thats the way Steven sings. What the fuck did they think he was going to do with it, he's STEVEN TYLER. Oh, but they are quick to shove there nose up Alicia keyes ass because, its ok for her to do her thing (which is some exagerated soul if you ask me), but not Tyler. Sorry about the profanity but don't fuck with Steven Tyler is all.
I also found it strange how Slash was next to Steven and not Scott....Hmmmmm....interesting........
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2005, 06:13:41 PM »

Yeah, damn VR for trying to do something to raise money for people who have lost familes and livelihoods. rant

For pete's sake, at least they are making an effort. ok

And congratulations to the guys for the Grammy. beer

At least they haven't had to wait over 40 years for some acclaim unlike Led Zeppelin. Angry

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2005, 06:28:44 PM »

Yeah, damn VR for trying to do something to raise money for people who have lost familes and livelihoods. rant

For pete's sake, at least they are making an effort. ok

And congratulations to the guys for the Grammy. beer

At least they haven't had to wait over 40 years for some acclaim unlike Led Zeppelin. Angry
Your right Judge, after readers get through this article they most likely won't purchase it. So the wise ass goes on to say "buy it, then delete it. What a dick.........

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2005, 06:32:58 PM »

congrats to vr, that was awesome

Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2005, 07:01:16 PM »

Well done VR

EEEERRRR Little boy
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2005, 08:40:51 PM »

Who cares what that guy says? I played it last night here at work when I saw the link. There were only 6 of us here but everyone thought it was a really cool performance. I don't particuarly care for all of the artists that were involved but I thought EVERYONE did good. It was also for a good cause... There always has to be an asshole...

RichardNixon
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2005, 08:59:23 PM »

Where is DUFF in that pic?

And I bet right now in Malibu 30 french maids are picking up broken plates that a certain red head threw...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2005, 08:26:46 AM »

Kudos to VR! Losing out to U2 isn't such a bad thing, but Green Day is something else..

Fuck 'Em All.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2005, 09:19:44 AM »

Does anyone know what "Best Hard Rock Performance" means exactly?? Is it for the video?? or maybe performing the song live?? U2's Vertigo won "Best Rock Song" so what's the difference between 'Best Song' and 'Best Performance' of a song?

starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2005, 09:33:20 AM »

Scott was only one who's vocal part was great... other singers sucked pretty hard on this one... I think if VR had done this all by themselves it would have been much better. They could do this song on their live shows too  Smiley
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2005, 09:47:05 AM »

Does anyone know what "Best Hard Rock Performance" means exactly?? Is it for the video?? or maybe performing the song live?? U2's Vertigo won "Best Rock Song" so what's the difference between 'Best Song' and 'Best Performance' of a song?

Its a tricky distinction, but Best Song is a songwriting award, while Best Performance is, obviously, more about the actual performance.  I beieve thats the distintion, I could be wrong.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 12:56:43 PM »

Scott was only one who's vocal part was great... other singers sucked pretty hard on this one... I think if VR had done this all by themselves it would have been much better. They could do this song on their live shows too? Smiley

true but all the great names involved (wether good or bad) will attract more buyers and that's what it's all about..
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2005, 02:14:20 PM »

Source:? 94.7 Zone

Velvet Revolver says Grammy win not 'vindicating'

When asked if Velvet Revolver feels "vindicated" by the band's Grammy win for Best Hard Rock Performance on Sunday, lead guitarist Slash says he doesn't know if he would quite put it that way. "I guess in some ways it's a little bit vindicating just to have, you know, reached a point where things had got to be so heavy that we all are actually surprised that we're still standing here, or that we're standing here at this point, yeah. So that's a little bit of vindication. But as far as vindicating as far as our music is concerned or what anybody else was thinking along the way...nah, it's just, this is what we wanted to do."

Velvet Revolver begins a tour of Australia and New Zealand on Thursday.

Although no new U.S. shows have been announced yet, several Canadian dates have appeared online at Pollstar.com, beginning on 03.23 in Ottawa, Ontario.

The group plans to enter the studio later this spring to begin recording the follow-up to their 2004 debut, Contraband.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2005, 03:16:16 PM »

so GNR never won a grammy but VR already  have?

Slash looked so fuckin proud in that pic

it must be an amazing feeling to show the world that he doesnt need W Axl Rose to be successful

that was a gigantic fuck you to Axl and im proud that Slash and Duff are successful and doing great

sorry bout the "they shouldve declined comment" i retract my statement

it was pretty cool i guess ok

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2005, 03:26:33 PM »

that was a gigantic fuck you to Axl and im proud that Slash and Duff are successful and doing great

I know what youre saying, but this doesnt, and shouldnt, have anything to do with Axl.  That goes for everything VR does.  It really doesnt have to be such a competition. 
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2005, 11:44:50 PM »

I know what youre saying, but this doesnt, and shouldnt, have anything to do with Axl.? That goes for everything VR does.? It really doesnt have to be such a competition.?

i agree, but deep down inside I bet they think that just a little

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jgfnsr
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2005, 06:30:24 PM »

What D?  I'm shocked!

And ol' Jon Jon would be too if he ever read what you said above!  hihi
jgfnsr
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2005, 06:50:34 PM »

I know what youre saying, but this doesnt, and shouldnt, have anything to do with Axl.? That goes for everything VR does.? It really doesnt have to be such a competition.?

i agree, but deep down inside I bet they think that just a little

Being as a million+ sales of Contraband and the odd Grammy pales in comparison to their past accomplishments with Axl, as well as to what Axl no doubt hopes to do with his album, I'm not sure it amounts to any semblance of a "fuck you" to Axl.

But if it does, well, we should all probably wait to see how Axl and Chinese Democracy do before we see exactly who has the last "fuck you..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2005, 10:02:20 PM »

i never said Jon was the greatest rock vocalist just that he is grossly underrated as an all around performer,songwriter frontman musician etc etc

id definitely would put tyler and axl in front as far as pure vocal ability

realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2005, 10:14:14 PM »

No doubt it was the best grammys in years and years if you delete the first ten minutes of the show,I never expected to watch something like that(live)on today's television, I still can see people here cutting up Bono and Steven Tyler. it just made me so mad after being punished for years of neverending crap that some creep would criticize real musicians when they finally put them back together again on TV.
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2005, 06:14:18 AM »

It did sound a bit uneven. But only because they mixed people like Norah Jones and Alicia Keys who dont move away from their comfort zone of music - with the more experienced guys from the rock world who are used to jamming. 

For some reason Stevie seemed a bit off too. And Norah came in after him so that's where it went the shape of the pear. 

But hey to see those rock guys up there was fab.  It would be great to see them in a bar somewhere rocking it out on some classic covers.  Scott looked the business up there - he had definatly been listening to the Bowie cover of the song. But he was great. A Slash solo should have been there instead of the harmonica too for my liking. 

Overall it wasn't perfect but it was great to see.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2005, 07:42:51 PM »

aw crap!  that sux that they didn't broadcast the win!  I recorded the whole show, that way I could fast fwd boring stuff.  Overall it was a good show (a lot of collaborations/tributes!)---I liked the VR & co. performance (although Norah Jones looked odd--she kept flashin her eyes side to side...was she nervous?), the Janis Joplin Tribute, and Alicia Keys was good as well.
I did manage to record the Clive Davis' pre grammy party where I saw clips of Duff & Susan--they looked great as usual. 

CONGRATS for the win, it's always great to be recognized....

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2005, 08:49:02 PM »

so GNR never won a grammy but VR already  have?

Slash looked so fuckin proud in that pic

it must be an amazing feeling to show the world that he doesnt need W Axl Rose to be successful

sorry bout the "they shouldve declined comment" i retract my statement

it was pretty cool i guess ok

GNR deserved an award back then - nice to see VR pick up the table scraps - hrm where was the Dillinger Escape Plan in this?Huh
too good and too advanced I say,......  All you Axl haters - Stamp your AFD album now and rejoice in the sub-standard trying to be cool velvet revolver - you hate axl afterall - Doesn't need  Axl - try direction, that album is all over the place and full of kurt cobain/(insert metal band here)  cliches
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:56:14 PM by KeVoRkIaN » Logged

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2005, 12:10:13 AM »

I did manage to record the Clive Davis' pre grammy party
Here's a pic taken at that party.? Looks like they got Slash in mid-scratch.? hihi

People (magazine) February 28, 2005
Photograph by Art Streiber

Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2005, 07:01:30 AM »

Best performance??   I dont get this award....which performance of slither won the grammy??  Someone please explain? peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: