Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227933 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Contraband Double Platinum!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contraband Double Platinum!  (Read 18037 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2005, 08:13:27 PM »

I didn't say Led Zeppelin is inferior, I am a big fan of their work, I was naming bands that's albums went double-platinum in a year or less, did I say they were inferior? No... I like Pearl Jam, STP and Weezer are good in small doses, Audioslave kinda annoy me, I hate Puddle of Mudd, Korn are ok, they aren't really my type of music, I hate Linkin Park, not a fan of Hootie and have not heard enough of Matchbox 20 to judge

So what are you saying?  That VR are in the same league as all of the bands you named?  That's not exactly a bad thing... all of those artists are pretty popular.
usurper
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2005, 08:18:39 PM »

I didn't say Led Zeppelin is inferior, I am a big fan of their work, I was naming bands that's albums went double-platinum in a year or less, did I say they were inferior? No... I like Pearl Jam, STP and Weezer are good in small doses, Audioslave kinda annoy me, I hate Puddle of Mudd, Korn are ok, they aren't really my type of music, I hate Linkin Park, not a fan of Hootie and have not heard enough of Matchbox 20 to judge

So what are you saying?? That VR are in the same league as all of the bands you named?? That's not exactly a bad thing... all of those artists are pretty popular.

What I'm trying to say is that double-platinum isn't that great, all those albums that I mentioned sold millions later and stayed in the top 100 for a very long time, VR has no staying power and their albums sell so... very... slowly
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2005, 08:33:32 PM »

What I'm trying to say is that double-platinum isn't that great, all those albums that I mentioned sold millions later and stayed in the top 100 for a very long time, VR has no staying power and their albums sell so... very... slowly

For a rock band to come out in 2004 with a number 1 album (on the largest first week sales of a debut album), 2 #1 rock singles, an arena tour, a performance at London's Live 8, etc., etc....  Yeah, I'd consider that great.  Maybe not on the same level as Led Zeppelin or Pearl Jam, but come on, not many bands are.
usurper
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2005, 08:37:57 PM »

For a rock band to come out in 2004 with a number 1 album (on the largest first week sales of a debut album), 2 #1 rock singles, an arena tour, a performance at London's Live 8, etc., etc....? Yeah, I'd consider that great.? Maybe not on the same level as Led Zeppelin or Pearl Jam, but come on, not many bands are.

A lot of people performed at Live 8, so not really that great... Arena tours for a double-platinum band? Why may I ask? VR are acting too big for their boots IMO, has any other band done an arena tour after only selling two million copies of ONE album? Don't think so, not if they dont want a disater waiting to happen
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2005, 09:04:12 PM »

A lot of people performed at Live 8, so not really that great... Arena tours for a double-platinum band? Why may I ask? VR are acting too big for their boots IMO, has any other band done an arena tour after only selling two million copies of ONE album? Don't think so, not if they dont want a disater waiting to happen

Well it wasn't a disaster... the shows weren't close to being sellouts, but they did draw crowds that were too big for clubs.  And again, where are all these rock bands that are going double platinum?  In the last 5 years how many have there been?  How about we narrow it down to only include new bands... there's maybe 3 or 4?  The Killers are the only recent one I can think of.
usurper
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2005, 09:13:43 PM »

Well it wasn't a disaster... the shows weren't close to being sellouts, but they did draw crowds that were too big for clubs.? And again, where are all these rock bands that are going double platinum?? In the last 5 years how many have there been?? How about we narrow it down to only include new bands... there's maybe 3 or 4?? The Killers are the only recent one I can think of.

Me too, oh well.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »

Do u really think all the bands were personally invited by Sir Gehldoff to perform at the showcase Hyde Park show? It was a huge deal for VR to get to play that show & deepdown everyone knows it.

U know these haters are getting desperate when they complain that even though VR went multi-platinum, it took too long. GMAFB! hihi

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2005, 12:59:13 AM »

I do not know how anyone can state selling two million albums isn't an acomplishment. If you haven't noticed rock music doens't get the air play it once did. When bands like GnR, Leppard and so on were selling 4 million albums in six months. Those days are long behind us unfortunately. Considering the state of rock music, a rock band going double platinum is a pretty good acomplishment. Hell i think even davegnfnr2k would agree on that.
Sudz
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2005, 05:53:26 AM »

A lot of people performed at Live 8, so not really that great

Not a lot of people were voted the 2nd best act at Live 8 (London). Of course the number 1 was Pink Floyd who hadn't performed together in I don't know how many years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/thelive8event/vote/

I haven't added it up, but it looks like not counting Pink Floyd, Velvet Revolver got more votes than all the other acts COMBINED. (Like if you add the votes for U2 to the votes for Coldplay to the votes for Madonna to the votes for Paul McCartney to the votes for Elton John to the votes for everyone else).  I know everyone understands that, I just like the idea of adding U2 and Coldplay together and getting less than Velvet Revolver.
usurper
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »

Not a lot of people were voted the 2nd best act at Live 8 (London). Of course the number 1 was Pink Floyd who hadn't performed together in I don't know how many years.

I haven't added it up, but it looks like not counting Pink Floyd, Velvet Revolver got more votes than all the other acts COMBINED. (Like if you add the votes for U2 to the votes for Coldplay to the votes for Madonna to the votes for Paul McCartney to the votes for Elton John to the votes for everyone else).? I know everyone understands that, I just like the idea of adding U2 and Coldplay together and getting less than Velvet Revolver.

Live 8 fucking sucked, a part of me is dying as I type this but the only good performer was Madonna (I get that part of my sould back) and Pink Floyd
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2005, 01:27:05 PM »

I haven't added it up, but it looks like not counting Pink Floyd, Velvet Revolver got more votes than all the other acts COMBINED. (Like if you add the votes for U2 to the votes for Coldplay to the votes for Madonna to the votes for Paul McCartney to the votes for Elton John to the votes for everyone else).  I know everyone understands that, I just like the idea of adding U2 and Coldplay together and getting less than Velvet Revolver.

Live 8 fucking sucked, a part of me is dying as I type this but the only good performer was Madonna (I get that part of my sould back) and Pink Floyd

I don't know if I would agree that the only good performers were Madonna and Pink Floyd.... but I will say that I think that poll is worthless.
usurper
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2005, 04:28:54 AM »

I haven't added it up, but it looks like not counting Pink Floyd, Velvet Revolver got more votes than all the other acts COMBINED. (Like if you add the votes for U2 to the votes for Coldplay to the votes for Madonna to the votes for Paul McCartney to the votes for Elton John to the votes for everyone else).? I know everyone understands that, I just like the idea of adding U2 and Coldplay together and getting less than Velvet Revolver.

I don't know if I would agree that the only good performers were Madonna and Pink Floyd.... but I will say that I think that poll is worthless.

What? The poll asking if you saw VR at Live 8?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2005, 05:56:23 AM »

Probably the one asking what the best band at Live 8 was when VR was voted second best band.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
usurper
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2005, 02:37:06 PM »

Probably the one asking what the best band at Live 8 was when VR was voted second best band.....

/jarmo

Oh right. Thanks Jarmo
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: