Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  slash or buckethead ? why
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: slash or buckethead ? why  (Read 12690 times)
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 06:43:07 PM »

why dont you let buckethead prove to you that he really CAN NOT make a awesome riff? listen though his solo shit before saying things like that... okey, dont jump the gun and look like an poor little jackass at the end...

but the fact is that estranged isnt that well known as a GNR tune outside the GNR hardcore fan world....
same as slash, noone else than GNR hardcore fans think he is the best... as for axl too..

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Dizzy
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 06:47:58 PM »

okey, dont jump the gun and look like an poor little jackass at the end...

Look here poor little jackass, I bought that Colma CD just because people here were raving about Buckethead.  As I said before, Buckethead is a good technical guitarist, and the album sounds good.  But sounding good and being memorable and timeless are two different things.  I listened to the Colma CD twice through and decided that it didn't warrant repeated listens and got rid of it.

So take some of your own advice and don't jump the gun by assuming I haven't listened to his solo work.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 07:38:29 PM »

His album are wellknown

Well known by WHO?  

Uh...how about the massive, ever-popular instrumental music community?!  Colma is obviously a landmark album, resonating with dozens of people around the world.  As far as Im concerned, music should be divided into Pre-Colma/Post-Colma eras, and I think members of Buckethead/Shawn Lane/Yngwie Malmsteen/Steve Vai message boards across the internet would agree...I mean, just listen to how fast hes playing!  It doesnt matter that the music is meandering and completely forgettable, hes not playing pentatonic scales!!!  

Oh, and anybody who disagrees and thinks Slash is better is just too stupid to understand what sounds good and automatically disinvited to my online Electric Tears listening party/Everquest competition...
Dizzy
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 08:54:15 PM »

Uh...how about the massive, ever-popular instrumental music community?!  Colma is obviously a landmark album, resonating with dozens of people around the world.

Dozens?  Wow!   I am awestruck!   Shocked  I had no idea Buckethead's playing struck chords (no pun intended and no pun exists, since Buckethead doesn't play chords) with such an expansive array of fans!  Startling and bewildering!

I mean, just listen to how fast hes playing!  It doesnt matter that the music is meandering and completely forgettable, hes not playing pentatonic scales!!!  

Now I see clearly what I was missing before!  Speed over quality, that's the concept I wasn't grasping!  Eternal thanks for enlightening me Booker.

Oh, and anybody who disagrees and thinks Slash is better is just too stupid to understand what sounds good

I concur, and you know what that means?  We live among a multitude of fools!

and automatically disinvited to my online Electric Tears listening party/Everquest competition...

Oh, is that going to be your excuse for the poor attendance?   hihi

Booker, I bow before your sardonic cynicism.   ok
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 09:01:00 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 09:09:14 PM »

this is getting stupid.....
oh, and dizzy, buckethead do fucking play fucking chords, for fucks sake... you guys are runnin' out of arguments and take there cheap shots?!?

and as far as i know, Buckethead is a underground legend......

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Dizzy
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »

this is getting stupid.....
oh, and dizzy, buckethead do fucking play fucking chords, for fucks sake... you guys are runnin' out of arguments and take there cheap shots?!?

I didn't know valid (if a tad sarcastic) arguments constituted cheap shots.

and as far as i know, Buckethead is a underground legend......

As far as you know, eh?  Well I am certainly grateful to you for lending your vast knowledge of the underground to me.  But here above ground, Slash is king.   Cool
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 09:30:50 PM by Dizzy » Logged
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 06:55:47 AM »

As far as you know, eh?  Well I am certainly grateful to you for lending your vast knowledge of the underground to me.  But here above ground, Slash is king.   Cool

Well said Slash 4 eva

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2004, 12:22:53 PM »

Christ, it's fucking hilarious how ass backwards you are.  Take a general consensus of rock n roll fans outside of this board.  They'll all tell you how great Slash is.  And they'll tell you they don't even know who the fuck Buckethead is.

ass backwards??? Aaah yes that?s an intelligent comment. Believe me outside the gnr-community nobody gives a flying fuck about Slash?s pentatonic noodling. Buckethead enjoys much greater respect. It?s only the gnr-fans who see Slash as the guitargod he isn?t.

Buckethead shreds, shreds, shreds.  That's it.  Like I said, any guitar teacher can do that.  The only thing Buckethead does differently is don a ridiculous bucket on his head.  Not one classic song at all.  Not one that's ever going to be remembered.  Name one of his songs known by the vast majority of rock fans.  Just one.

Listen to Colma and Electric Tears. There is no shredding on these albums . It?s calm ambient music. Slash is all about messing up and playing like a washed up drunk. The only difference with other burned out drunks is that he wears a tophat. hihi

The vast majority of rockfans??? Wow are you speaking for the vast majority of rockfans?? It?s no surprise to me that the VAST MAJORITY of rockfans can?t appreciate Buckethead?s work. His solostuff is experimental guitarmusic and not rock, maybe that?s the reason?but you?ll probably don?t get that..

I bet if you named a Buckethead song, the vast majority would not have heard of it, or know who performed the song.

Indeed yes! Just like not many would recognize Lane?s music. That doesn?t mean that these players blow Slash away in a second. By your poor reasoning Britney Spears would be a modern day Mozart!! Who cares for what the VAST MAJORITY likes?. Usually it?s crap anyway. yes

The people who have been listening to the best modern day guitarplayers have to offer have known Buckethead for more then thirteen years now. It?s just you reasoning from your own ignorance who can?t grasp it.

And Izzy is a great guitarist, but he's nowhere near Slash's caliber.  Slash wrote all the kickass GNR solos, not Izzy.

Izzy was ten times more a guitarplayer then Slash. Slash was just a showman?. As a musician Slash had nothing on Izzy.

Anybody can take lessons and learn to do the Buckethead shred.  Anybody.

I bet we will be hearing you do some killer arpeggio?s soon then. Please don?t have such an unfounded opinion about music you clearly don?t get. Buckethead?s chops are of a difficulty-level only few players have been able to master.

But you can't teach anybody to pour emotion into their playing the way Slash does.

No that?s right? you can?t teach a person to play such bad bends and horrible tone? you can only suck that much by nature? ok hihi

Well known by WHO?  You?  Yeah, his albums are so well-known that he's NEVER had a hit album, NEVER had a hit single, NEVER had a gold certification.

Read some guitarmags sometimes (the good ones). There aren?t many guitarplayers with such a big fanbase as Buckethead has. It?s not my problem that you don?t know the first thing about what?s going on in guitarmusic.

Your poor reasoning where being wellknown seems to equal quality is getting really sad? get a clue?.the one being assbackwards is you.

Once again you make a feeble and unsuccessful attempt to pass off your opinions as those of the masses.

Yep that?s a strong one coming from the representative of THE VAST MAJORITY OF ROCKFANS rofl Roll Eyes

I've posted at many R&R boards over the past several years and met about three people who think Buckethead surpasses Slash.

LOL!!! Well you don?t meet a lot of people then. Slash has absolutely no name as a guitarplayer on most other boards. People know him, yes. But his playing is never regarded as being more then average.

Uh...how about the massive, ever-popular instrumental music community?!  Colma is obviously a landmark album, resonating with dozens of people around the world.

I was waiting for Booker to come along and start badmouthing about entire musicstyles. Really saying something like that says more about you then instrumental music.

and I think members of Buckethead/Shawn Lane/Yngwie Malmsteen/Steve Vai message boards across the internet would agree?

Yes they would and that?s all that matters. Every one of those guitarplayers kicks Slash?s ass. yes ok

I mean, just listen to how fast hes playing!

What has speed to do with it? The albums we?re discussing like Electric Tears and Colma are absolutely no fast albums. Thanks for showing us how serious your opinion should be taken. You still don?t have a clue?

It doesnt matter that the music is meandering and completely forgettable, hes not playing pentatonic scales!!!

Just your opinion. Its takes a lot more to make the music players like Buck, Vai, Lane and so on come up with. A guitarplayer who spend his entire career playing endless variations on the same boring pentatonic scales has nothing on these players.

Oh, and anybody who disagrees and thinks Slash is better is just too stupid to understand what sounds good

Or very poorly educated on music in general and especially guitarplayers.  

As far as you know, eh?  Well I am certainly grateful to you for lending your vast knowledge of the underground to me.  But here above ground, Slash is king.

Yes and Slash?s star shines brightly next to other ?quality? musicians like Britney Spears. rofl rofl Cause like we all know?. being well-known equals quality!!! Thank you all for explaining me the essential element of the philosophy of THE VAST MAJORITY OF ROCKFANS? Now I truly understand why you act this ignorant on Buckethead (and whole styles of music)

Please forgive me for responding to all of you in just one thread. But I thought it would be appropriate since all your arguments suck equally as much?

-PEACE-

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2004, 04:39:21 PM »

Believe me outside the gnr-community nobody gives a flying fuck about Slash?s pentatonic noodling. Buckethead enjoys much greater respect.

Guitar World magazine had a 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists Of All Time list in their March 2004 Issue:
15. Slash

Hendrix Named Greatest Guitarist
Total Guitar magazine, August, 2002.
4. Slash

It?s only the gnr-fans who see Slash as the guitargod he isn?t.

Apparently not.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dizzy
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2004, 05:14:59 PM »

Thanks for the input Jarmo.

This guy obviously went over the deep end long ago, just like he has on this thread.  "Slipdisc" is an apt username, because I think his "disc" slipped a few times before it made its way into the CD player.

Trying to convince him that Slash is a great guitar player is like trying to convince the criminally insane that fairies aren't really dancing across their cellblocks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 05:17:49 PM by Dizzy » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2004, 09:56:24 PM »

Stop it. Beeing a good guitarist is not only playing 1000 notes per seconds, that's not that. Rock n' Roll is FEELING. Buckethead is technically amazing, probably better than Slash, faster, whatever you want, but in fact Buckethead is pretty weak: feeling: 0/10 charisma: 0/10  image/0/10 impact: 0/10. he is WEAK.
beeing "Rock n' Roll" is something you are, or you are not. It comes from your soul, it's inside you. That is the meaning of the word "music".
Slash is, Buckethead is not and will never be.

end of story.

rocktar81 you really have no clue what you are talking about.
Im not even going to compare BH to slash.

First off, BH has zero image? You have got to be kidding me, did you even see him live with gnr, his solo set? Or live on his own or with primus? My guess is no, do you even know what image is?

2nd.  You give BH a zero for feeling? Why is that? Have you ever heard the album electric tears? I m guessing no, but that album just oozes feeling.

3rd charisma so what if BH doesnt run around or jump around on stage, that is not his gimmic, he is suppost to be a robot and thats how he acts.
You need to get a clue.

4th impact. You really dont think BH has any impact? I think BH has a huge impact esp for gnr, why do y ou think a lot of gnr fans think if he ever leaves it will be  a huge loss?

Finally Rock and roll is something inside you? well incase you didnt notice BH is not rock n roll, he is much more diverse than that.
Its really sad you are to hard for slash and dont see the talent that BH really is.

but its your loss not ours.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 09:59:02 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
neuby87
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2004, 02:15:13 AM »

Okay if i ever see slipdisc in person ill slap him so silly how can he even admit that buckethead is better than slash, slash is a way better guitarst than.... whats it name oh yeah buckethead pssh what the hell is that, and im only gonna sit here and laugh my ass off about slipdisc puttin buckethead on the same level as jimi hendrix
Dizzy
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2004, 10:33:39 AM »

I think BH has a huge impact esp for gnr, why do y ou think a lot of gnr fans think if he ever leaves it will be  a huge loss?

This is an interesting retrospective comment.  I agree that everyone felt that way before Buckethead departed.  But now, it's funny to read people saying "Fuck Buckethead!  He fucked Axl over, so now we don't need him!"   hihi
hynzie
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 07:02:19 PM »

Slash no question!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2004, 03:35:55 PM »

As always someone's favorite guitar player is always going to be SUBJECTIVE. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a sticky topic called Favorite guitar player.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2004, 09:09:43 PM »

I'll have to say Slash although Buckethead is a highly talented guitarist and I do like him a lot but Slash plays with emtion and some of Buckethead's material from his solo projects are similar but I do like Bucket just prefer Slash

EEEERRRR Little boy
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

Who is my favourtie guitarist? Slash. Whom do I consider best taking into account tone, feel, sound, technique? Slash.
Slash is no virtuoso, he is a Hard rock guitarist. Buckethead is a virtuoso, not as popular as say Satriani or Vai but still a great technical player. At the end of the day its who you prefer.
metalhead666
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2004, 04:16:23 PM »

Of course Slash, he's 1 of the greatest guitarists of all time and a living legend!!!!!!

"If there was a new way I'd be the 1st in line, but it'd better work this time."
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: