Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus Talks To GnrDaily.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus Talks To GnrDaily.com  (Read 37441 times)
rubinone
Opening Act

Urban Jungle

« on: April 19, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »

Source: http://gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1289

Big Pat. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Answer what you
feel comfortable doing. I understand the GN'R situation.

Richard Fortus. No problem

BigPat.- I grew up not too far from St. Louis. Most of my early concert
memories were going to Kiel Auditorium or the Opera House and the old
Checkerdome. Do you have some memories of those places? Anything you
can share?

Richard Fortus - I have SOOOO many memories of Kiel and the Arena (Checkerdome). My father was in the wholesale end of musical instrument sales, so we used to get backstage to all the shows. I would go with guys from his company to see and meet bands like Kiss, Peter Frampton, ELO, Rush, Yes, Ted Nugent, UFO, The Who, The Stones, Aerosmith, man the list goes on and on. I got to sit under the stage one night when Yes came and they were performing in the round. Another night with Yes, they let me sit in and do soundcheck with them. Pretty major for a 12 year old, especially considering they were my favorite band at the time.

Big Pat - What led up to you performing the shows with X Japan?

Richard Fortus - I've known Yoshiki for years. I'd done sessions that he was producing and I'd done some work for some artists that were on his label. I went to Tokyo to play with one of his artists for the launch of his label. Then I ran in to him at his studio while i was working on a movie score. We spoke and he told me that he'd heard that Robin and I had played "Endless Rain" while GN'R was in Japan. A few weeks later he called and asked if i'd be interested in being a guest guitarist for the X Japan reunion shows.

Big Pat - You recently played together with the legendary Sami Yaffa from
Hanoi Rocks/The New York Dolls. Tell me a little bit more about that?

Richard Fortus - Sami and I have been trying to do something together for ages. A good friend of mine (Michael DeHoughton), was doing a fashion week party for his clothing line and put a band together to play with him. Frank and I have done a lot of shows with Michael and we also love his clothes, then he got Sami in to do the gig as well. Michael dresses most of the major rock stars today, so his parties are always a blast. Sami is an awesome bassist and i'm sure we'll be doing more stuff together.

Big Pat - Also hear you are doing some writing for a new Furs album. If true,
when will it be out?

Richard Fortus - I've been writing the new Furs record with Richard Butler (the singer). I think it's some of the best stuff we have written together. Don't know when it will be out. I will probably be doing shows with the Furs in June/July.

Big Pat - What's your most memorable moment to date as an artist?

Richard Fortus - There have been way too many amazing moments for me to pick one! I have been incredibly fortunate.

Big Pat - With all the collaborating you do with various artists, have you ever thought of recording a solo album?

Richard Fortus - I have no desire to do a solo record. I love composing for film. To me, that is the ultimate medium. As far as making records goes, i'd rather collaborate. I also don't believe that anyone would really care if i put out a solo record!

Big Pat - Will you be doing any touring this summer? If so,with who?

Richard Fortus - I don't really want to tour right now. I'm going to be doing some shows with the Furs and possibly some more shows with X Japan and also with a Danish band called the Storm. I played on their record and they are good friends. Other than that, i'd much rather be at home playing on different records and composing film/ads and video game scores, as well as writing with different artists.

Big Pat - Guitar Hero is a huge game right now. Do you have a guitar hero?

Richard Fortus - I don't really have a Guitar Hero. I think that Jeff Beck is probably my favorite living guitarist.

Big Pat - Stones or The Beatles?

Richard Fortus - Both are genius. However, I feel like I relate much more to the Stones!

Big Pat - Any new or up and coming bands that you think deserve a listen?

Richard Fortus - I've been listening to Warren Suicide, Tacks the Boy Disaster, the new Raconteurs record, Black Mountain, Sea Wolf.

Big Pat - The recording industry is changing, and most feel not for the better. What do
you feel are the biggest challenges in the industry today? And do you
see a light at the end of the tunnel?

Richard Fortus - I don't necessarily believe that it is a bad thing. The world of 'pop' music is dying. That's not such a bad thing, unless you are a pop artist that is used to making big $. The time of making crazy $ from music is just about over, unless you are already established and have a strong core fan base. Everything is becoming niche. The days of the major labels running everything and being the only game in town are over. It's a very exciting time in music. I think that new bands are going to be able to develop themselves and only the bands that are really good are the ones that will become known. Bands will not be force-fed to the public, we are now discovering bands via the internet, not through the hype of major labels.

Big Pat - You and Robin played X Japan's "Endless Rain" as part of your
guitar duet during some of GN'R's Japanese shows in July 2007. Why that
song? Who picked it?

Richard Fortus - No cComment on this question.

Big Pat - We know Robin has signed on to do NIN tour this summer. You guys
seem to have amazing chemistry on stage. Are you looking forward to
playing with him in the future? And speaking of chemistry, how
important is it?

Big Pat - There's a lot of buzz right now regarding GN'R and the Dr. Pepper challenge. Do you think you might be drinking a free Dr Pepper soon?

Richard Fortus - No comment on this question.

Big Pat - Besides Frank, do you hang out with any other members of GN'R?

Richard Fortus - Frank and I don't get to hang out that much anymore since he lives in NJ and I live in LA most of the time now. Robin lives right up the street from me and we hang out pretty often. I also hang out with Tommy and Dizzy quite a bit. Axl lives out in Malibu, so i don't see him that often.

Big Pat - Thanks again man, I really appreciate your time!

Source: http://gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1289
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:11:52 AM by rubinone » Logged
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »

song? Who picked it?

important is it?

I think that's a really bad sign, guys Sad

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:24:47 AM »

song? Who picked it?

important is it?

I think that's a really bad sign, guys Sad

how so, every gnr question bar 1, he couldnt comment on

obviously he has signed an agreement from gnr, where he cant speak out about the current bands situation...

stop reading so much into it.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:55 AM »

What part of those questions had anything to do with GNR, or the bands current status, besides the solo played at a concert?

Try thinking about that and you'll have your answer. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:42:20 AM by misterID » Logged

LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »

I think the most telling sign in that interview is that he avoided questions revolving around Robin. I'm not one to read much into that, but it did seem odd.

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:36:08 AM »

Cool interview. I'm a big Fortus fan. When I saw GnR last year he really stood out- huge presense, and fark he hits the strings hard!
I can understand him not commenting on the ChiDem/Dr Pepper thing, but it's weird how he didn't comment on the solo.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:44:58 AM »

Richard didn't give us a single clue on GNR.  I understand he may be contractually bound not to say anything that might let us know anything crucial, but he couldn't even say who picked a particular solo that he played? Sheeesh!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »

I think the most telling sign in that interview is that he avoided questions revolving around Robin. I'm not one to read much into that, but it did seem odd.

Not odd at all really.

Richard's not the GN'R spokesperson and considering his e-mail replies have been used as GN'R news in the past, he's obviously not gonna say anything that can be twisted into meaning something else.

It's just common sense for a guy who's seen personal e-mails posted on the GN'R boards as news or confirmations of something.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »

I don't see where he was asked about anything GNR related. It was more about a personal relationship, but then he talked about who he does and doesn't hang out with Huh

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

I don't see where he was asked about anything GNR related. It was more about a personal relationship, but then he talked about who he does and doesn't hang out with Huh

Big Pat - There's a lot of buzz right now regarding GN'R and the Dr. Pepper challenge. Do you think you might be drinking a free Dr Pepper soon?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:33 AM »

/jarmo

That's not exactly what we were talking about either...

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »

song? Who picked it?

That's really the part that seems a bit odd to me, and makes me a little nervous.  I'm not sure I understand what it is about this question that causes a "No Comment," other than it mentions Robin.  Yes, I'm completely speculating, and I know all the Guns guys have learned to watch what they say, but still.    Unless, of course, it's become habit to simply decline comment on ANYTHING GnR related, no matter how harmless or objective the question may seem...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:13:54 AM by bazgnr » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

That's not exactly what we were talking about either...

Oh right.  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »

Yeah Jarmo, if you go up a bit and read our posts, you'd understand ok

Shhhhh, no one speculate. You know how jarmo hates people speculating. Oh, and if you need him he's over in the Velvet Revolver section speculating.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »

Shhhhh, no one speculate. You know how jarmo hates people speculating. Oh, and if you need him he's over in the Velvet Revolver section speculating.

People are doing the same in The Jungle and Bad Obsession.

See a pattern? Of course not.

You have no idea what you're talking about, why not just admit it?

You think that just because someone choses to not comment on an issue, it means he's not allowed to say anything.

Imagine if you were this "open minded" in regards to VR!

/jarmo

Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »

song? Who picked it?

That's really the part that seems a bit odd to me, and makes me a little nervous.  I'm not sure I understand what it is about this question that causes a "No Comment," other than it mentions Robin.  Yes, I'm completely speculating, and I know all the Guns guys have learned to watch what they say, but still.   

Yep, odd that he wouldn't comment on that, but nice interview, cool to hear him working with Yaffa

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 08:32:50 AM »

MrID, I also find that part you quoted very weird and  I think we should repost it here

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=51313.0

and discuss it.  Wink

I gotcha  Cool

People are doing the same in The Jungle and Bad Obsession.

See a pattern? Of course not.

Well, gee jarmo, I thought you held yourself to a higher standard.

You have no idea what you're talking about, why not just admit it?

About what exactly? That I find it strange that he couldn't speak about any future or professional things involving Robin? Uh... How is that not knowing what I'm talking about, exactly?

You think that just because someone choses to not comment on an issue, it means he's not allowed to say anything.

Imagine if you were this "open minded" in regards to VR!

/jarmo

Well, that's what happens when you choose not to answer a very general and simple question. It's going to raise eyebrows.

I'm very open minded when it comes to VR. I even asked, since a few of you were quick to jump on that it might be Slash's fault that Scott is gone, if its all that hard to believe that it was Scott who was the problem... I mean, out of four other guys he's the only one who left... And he seems to have been a problem... I'm just saying... I mean, it smells a little like a double standard, Jarmo.

TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »

Not odd at all really.

Richard's not the GN'R spokesperson and considering his e-mail replies have been used as GN'R news in the past, he's obviously not gonna say anything that can be twisted into meaning something else.

It's just common sense for a guy who's seen personal e-mails posted on the GN'R boards as news or confirmations of something.

/jarmo

Definitely, anyone posting personal e-mails to a public forum has crossed the line, regardless of the situation. It's the 'Richard's not the GN'R spokesman' part thats a shame...in other words someone who has been in the band for 6 years or so isn't allowed to speak freely about his work, while we get our news from Del James, Sebastian Bach and others.

Its no wonder some fans think of this band as Axl + the other guys, when its members aren't even at liberty to discuss it.

And there goes the challenger...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »

About what exactly? That I find it strange that he couldn't speak about any future or professional things involving Robin? Uh... How is that not knowing what I'm talking about, exactly?

Why is it weird exactly?

If he says something, it'll either be "Richard says Robin is in/out" depending on his answer.

Is it weird that he doesn't want to be the guy causing you and others speculating on what exactly he meant with his answer?

I'm very open minded when it comes to VR. I even asked, since a few of you were quick to jump on that it might be Slash's fault that Scott is gone, if its all that hard to believe that it was Scott who was the problem... I mean, out of four other guys he's the only one who left... And he seems to have been a problem... I'm just saying... I mean, it smells a little like a double standard, Jarmo.

I happen to think it's both sides who are to blame.

You must be really open minded.... You think it the other guys aren't to blame....

Something you'd know if you read anything I've said on the subject in that section. ok

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:04:39 AM by jarmo » Logged

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 09:11:43 AM »

cool of richard to answer some questions!  ok And besides, it's very, very logical that he doesn't comment on some of the GN'R related questions. Indeed people twist things to make it fit their's agenda, so it's a wise decision to not comment.  Kinda the way jarmo put it. And on subject of matter: it's not done to post personal mails from a bandmember either. Not cool and disrespectfull towards bandmembers who take the time to answer your questions.

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: