The GN'R song thread

(1/7) > >>

purplehaze1988:
The purpose of this thread is to list every GN'R song, and to give people an idea of whether the song is within their playing capabilities, and also provide tips for playing/getting the tone etc.

This will be a guitar thread, but if you want to create a bass or drum or whatever thread, go ahead.

Hopefully this will become a sticky thread.

Now I haven't been playing guitar long, so I'm going to be pretty useless with this thread. Still, I'll set it out and hopefully someone will take it from there:

The criteria

Beginner - Something someone could learn as their first song
Amateur - For someone who knows the basics of guitar playing (barre chords, hammer-ons & pull-offs, bends...)
Intermediate - For someone who has been playing guitar a couple of years and
Advanced - Hard songs that you'll need plenty of guitar experience for before tackling

Beginner songs

Move To The City
Album: Lies
Link to tab: see below
Playing tips:

Amp settings:
You should play it on an overdriven guitar but it sounds nice on an acoustic aswell. I'm only tabbing Slash's guitar, Izzy has some of his own riffs and interesting bits in the song I might tab them in the future

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vibrato = ~~? ?Slide = /? ?Bend = b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riff 1

--12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12----------------------------? ?
--12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12----------------------------? ?
----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ? ? ?----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14-12~~?
----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ? ? ?----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14-12~~?
-------------------------------? ? ? -------------------------------? ? ?--------------------------------------?
-------------------------------? ? ? -------------------------------? ? ?--------------------------------------?

Riff 2

-------------------------? ? ? ?-----------------------------------? ? ? ?-----------------------------------
--15-15-15-15-15-15-15/? ? ? -------9-9---9-9--10-9-9-9? ? ? -----------------------------------
--16-16-16-16-16-16-16/? ? ? ? ? --x-9-9-x-9-9-x-9-9-9-9? ? ? ?--7-7-7-6-6-6-4-4-4-7-7-8-9
-------------------------? ? ? ? ? --x-9-9-x-9-9-x-9-9-9-9? ? ? --7-7-7-6-6-6-4-4-4-7-7-8-9?
-------------------------? ? ? ?----x-7-7-x-7-9-x-7-7-7-7? ? ? --5-5-5-4-4-4-2-2-2-5-5-6-7?
-------------------------? --3b-0----------------------------? ? ? -----------------------------------

Riff 3

----------------------------? ? ? ?--------------------------------------? ?
----------------------------? ? ? ?---------0-3-2-0-------------------
--9-7-9-7-9-2b-0-------? ? ? ? ? ?--9-9-9----------2-0---------------
--9-7-9-7-9-------2------? ? ? ? ? -9-9-9---------------0-2-0--------
--7-5-7-7-9--------------? ? ? ----7-7-7----------------------0------
-----------------------3b-0? ? ?-----------------------------------3b-0

Solo

-----------------2------2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------2--2-5b--5-2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--4b------4b-----------------4b-4b-4-4b-2-4b-2~~-2-4-2--------------------------------------------
-----------------------------4b---------------------------------2-4-2--4--2-----2-----4--------4~~-4/
----------------------------------------------------------------------4--3--3-4---3-2---2---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-2---------

-----------------------------------------14---------14---------------------
-------------------------------------14----14--17b---17--14----------17b
-------------------16---14-16b------------------------------16b-14----
------14-16-14-16---16-------------------------------------------------
--16---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks *Izzy*

Patience
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Used to Love Her
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Don't cry
Album: Use Your Illusion I
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Yesterdays
Album: Use Your Illusion II
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Solo is B Minor pentatonic .

Amp settings:
try playin it with a strat, it`ll sound much better.

Thanks Slashly

Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Link to tab:
Playing tips:

Thanks GypsySoul

Amp settings:

GUITARS 1-3:? Solidbody
PICKUP/POSITION:? Humbucker/Neck
GAIN:? 2 (clean), 8 (crunch)
EQ:? Bass/Mid/Treble: 6/4/6
FX:? Chorus

Amateur Songs

Welcome to the Jungle
Album: Appetite for Destruction
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

My Michelle
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Double Talkin' Jive
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Intermediate Songs

Estranged
Link: http://www.guitaretab.com/g/guns-n-roses/7587.html
Playing tips: The second solo's not as hard as it looks... Try it out.?
Sound settings: I think he's using the neck pickup with the tone knob rolled backwards down to 6 (for the solos). Thanks Boozer

Advanced Songs

Sweet Child O' Mine
Link to tab: http://www.snakepit.org/sweetcom.html
Playing tips:

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
Tune down 1/2 step:
(low to high) Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb
Moderate Rock d = 126? ? ?

? ? ?This is one of my favorite GN'R tunes because it's a song you can either strum along to on an acoustic or play on electric while showing off your lead playing ability.? The introductory guitar melody is not very difficult (I learned this part very early on while beginning to play guitar), however it is important to make sure that the notes don't ring together, but also don't sound too choppy.? Practice is the only way of achieving this.? Also, as this melody started out as a string-skipping exercise, it's important to make sure that you are able to accurately and quickly pick targeted strings even if they aren't adjacent to each other.? During the verse sections, Slash and Izzy lay down a ballad-type rhythm by arpeggiating the chords making up a D - Cadd9 - G - D progression.? Unlike the intro, you should try to let the arpeggiated figures ring throughout whenever possible.
? ? ? The chorus contains both a melody very similar to that of the intro and an A5 - C5 - D rhythm progression that should be played with a fairly choppy strumming pattern and a distorted sound.? This rhythm chord pattern transforms into an E5 - G5 - A5 - C5 - D5 - G5 progression partway through the solo.? The solo is probably one the hardest to tackle in the GN'R catalog in that there's a lot going on and some of these less distinct parts may be difficult to pick apart by listening to the track the first few times around.? When attempting the solo it is important to make sure that have mastered such techniques of whole and half-note bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and vibrato.? Really the rest of it is memorization and speed.? And remember that? with enough scrutiny and practice you can nail this entire song, start to finish, in no time.

Amp Settings: Not much to this - just pick a clean sound and dirty sound that seem close enough to the recording in your opinion.? Also, remember the use of the wah pedal during the latter part of the solo.

Thanks VolcomStone

Thanks GypsySoul

One in a Million
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Don't Damn Me
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

purplehaze1988:
Come on people!

Right we'll set ourselves a little goal - this thread has to be completed by the time Chinese Democracy comes out   :nervous:

GypsySoul:
Quote from: purplehaze1988 on July 21, 2005, 10:52:53 AM

The purpose of this thread is to list every GN'R song, and to give people an idea of whether the song is within their playing capabilities, and also provide tips for playing/getting the tone etc.

I think you got a really good idea here.? This kind of thread should really be a great help for beginners and also give the more experienced musicians here an opportunity to pass along their knowledge by helping others get over the rough spots by answering questions and/or giving tips on specific songs or riffs or whatever.

I, myself, am NOT a musician nor do I know how to read music ... BUT what I can contribute to get this thing going is to post stuff that I find in guitar mags and their writers comments/instructions.? So maybe from there youze'll have a starting point for discussing what youze find easy/difficult/confusing about a specific song.

In the August 2005 issue of Guitar One mag is GNR's version of KOHD which you listed under "Beginner songs" ... so in the next reply I'll post what? their guy says about how to play it and if youze want, later I'll post the music sheets.

Also, here's the riff for SCOM in the same issue and a pics of Slash in an ad and in the old GNR daze.

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
Tune down 1/2 step:
(low to high) Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb
Moderate Rock d = 126? ? ?Gypsy note:? that d is a music note (I think)

GypsySoul:

TONE ZONE
GUITARS 1-3:? Solidbody
PICKUP/POSITION:? Humbucker/Neck
GAIN:? 2 (clean), 8 (crunch)
EQ:? Bass/Mid/Treble: 6/4/6
FX:? Chorus

Gypsy edit so hopefully youze could read it clearer

VolcomStone:
Intermediate/Advanced:

Sweet Child O' Mine
Link to tab: http://www.snakepit.org/sweetcom.html
Playing tips:
     This is one of my favorite GN'R tunes because it's a song you can either strum along to on an acoustic or play on electric while showing off your lead playing ability.  The introductory guitar melody is not very difficult (I learned this part very early on while beginning to play guitar), however it is important to make sure that the notes don't ring together, but also don't sound too choppy.  Practice is the only way of achieving this.  Also, as this melody started out as a string-skipping exercise, it's important to make sure that you are able to accurately and quickly pick targeted strings even if they aren't adjacent to each other.  During the verse sections, Slash and Izzy lay down a ballad-type rhythm by arpeggiating the chords making up a D - Cadd9 - G - D progression.  Unlike the intro, you should try to let the arpeggiated figures ring throughout whenever possible.
      The chorus contains both a melody very similar to that of the intro and an A5 - C5 - D rhythm progression that should be played with a fairly choppy strumming pattern and a distorted sound.  This rhythm chord pattern transforms into an E5 - G5 - A5 - C5 - D5 - G5 progression partway through the solo.  The solo is probably one the hardest to tackle in the GN'R catalog in that there's a lot going on and some of these less distinct parts may be difficult to pick apart by listening to the track the first few times around.  When attempting the solo it is important to make sure that have mastered such techniques of whole and half-note bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and vibrato.  Really the rest of it is memorization and speed.  And remember that  with enough scrutiny and practice you can nail this entire song, start to finish, in no time.
Amp Settings: Not much to this - just pick a clean sound and dirty sound that seem close enough to the recording in your opinion.  Also, remember the use of the wah pedal during the latter part of the solo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page