Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Ex-members not agreeing with the new guys
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ex-members not agreeing with the new guys  (Read 25878 times)
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« on: September 08, 2004, 06:19:03 AM »

I dont know how many of you really care for the new guys but im keen as hell for em',
but when reading articals from ex-members saying it's not Guns N' Roses, n' call it Axl's band n' all that shit,
how do you think the current members would react to that if they read it, it might mean nothing to them but on the other hand they could take it personal i guess.

The ex-members have every right to say what they want but i think they should start to think about what the new guys would feel about it...the new guys obviously joined GNR to be in GNR, and should be givin' abit more credit, but when the album comes out, that should all change.
How many of you really dont give a shit n' see it as Axl's band or respect the fact that this is still Guns N' Roses.

I still see it as Gunners, maybe not if all origenals dropped off at once but thats not the case, this and the old line up evolved to what it is, the new guys may be getting payed but there not for hire like solo artist's.

But at one stage there were only 3 remaining origenals on stage and that was Duff, Slash n' Axl and it was still GNR, and it's Duff n' Slash that keep putting the new guys down, it's like they thought they were more GNR then what it is now, do ya know what i mean?.

So thats why i think Slash n' Duff should ease up a little on the subject, they only have it in for Axl n' should leave it at that...

just my opinion.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
fixintodie
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 07:02:49 AM »

I agree totally with what you said about the difference being that the old guys left one by one. It's not like Axl just suddenly decided to do a solo album, bring together a new band and call it Guns N' Roses. Like he said in that interview way back in 92, GN'R is like a club where members check in and out than a band. Club/institution anyway.

That said, the new band including Axl is a unit. It's not just a backing band, they're amazingly cohesive. I guess to me Guns N' Roses is Axl and the songs. And though theres no album to compare, as far as the live shows go, I like the new band as much if not more than the Slash/Duff lineup.

The constant sniping at the new band is just lame. These guys are in their 40s, time to start acting it.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 07:19:58 AM »

The ex-members have every right to say what they want but i think they should start to think about what the new guys would feel about it
I think they just don't care.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 07:22:21 AM »

well at least slash has just a tinny little bit of respect for axl.....when people began the 'f*ck axl rose' chant at the VR gig , slash defused it by saying ' is that really necessary ?' and now on an interview some guy said 'if axl gets his head out of his ass would you consider a reunion?'' and slash said ' dont give him such a hard time' ....

We kinda have to understand Slash when he has said its not guns n' roses...He must've felt bad when he was not allowed to see the new GNR perform in Las vegas ( I think it was las vegas) ...it's just a way to get back at axl......even if I can understand why Axl dont want to see the Ex-members..(with all that drug-alcohol related dancing with Mr.Brownstone stuff they had)

I still think the new GNR is GNR....just....NEW? ?Grin GNR version 2004.

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 07:55:56 AM »

I also think the new gnr is just as much gnr as old. I don't blame them (old) for being a little pissed, but after all they left, they were not fired. And I'm sick of people saying its stupid that Axl kept the name. A lot of bands end up that way, they just happen to be one of the biggest bands trying to do it. At this level. Get over it!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 08:24:48 AM »

The constant sniping at the new band is just lame. These guys are in their 40s, time to start acting it.

What sniping? 
darkmonth
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 09:07:32 AM »

I still see it as Gunners, maybe not if all origenals dropped off at once but thats not the case, this and the old line up evolved to what it is

Can I clear something up here?

most of the old members may have dropped out over a period of say... 4 or 5 years... but that doesnt mean it evolved in that time...

GnR did shit.  They didn't rehearse, didn't record... barely wrote.   Fact is, the time from when the Illusions ended to the day Slash and Duff left... well, it could have been 1 day, or 10 years... and they still didn't do anything.  So basically, GnR did NOT evolve... it stagnated.  When all the original members left, Axl THEN got new guys in.

Remember, Duff has said he did not work with Robin or anyone else in GnR now.  Matt only very breifly did.

So since Duff left rather late in the day, when he did leave, GnR was about 4 people... 2 of which weren't originals.... and during that time, they didn't do anything.

So let's remember, this is not an evolved GnR... it's almost an entirely new band, completely seperate from the previous one.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 09:13:11 AM »

A. VR actually put out an album they have to promote in public.

B. I agree that the new band is not really GNR.  I am not saying Axl didn't hire some great musicians, but they have no say in when they tour, when the release the album, etc.  They aren't seen in public hanging out with Axl.  They are hired musicians.

C. At least VR doesn't force the interviewiers not ask questions about the past!!!!

D. There is still no signs of Chinese Democracy, no matter what Stinson says.  To me, it sounds like he really has no clue when it will be out.

E.  Axl continues to waste precious time off his career.  It would be like Michael Jordan taking off 10 years in the prime of his career.  He has wasted so much time. 

I obviously love Axl Rose's music or I wouldn't come here every day starving for a shred of news, but that doesn't mean I am not going to bring up Axl's shortcomings.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 09:20:33 AM »

from what Ive read in Tommy Stinsons interviews about his view on the band, it seems like he thinks of it as Axls band as well...

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »

from what Ive read in Tommy Stinsons interviews about his view on the band, it seems like he thinks of it as Axls band as well...

Of course it's Axl's band, it's GNR and he's the only original member left ... but at the same time we own some respect for the guys and give them a chance. And it may be axl's band but the new "hired or not" members did participate in the creation of chinese democracy, it's not like Axl did it by himself.

I was at the VR show in Paris yesterday, I was really into it until Scott Weiland said a "joke" about Axl ... I think Weiland is a great performer no matter what some may say but I was kinda disapointed because I was really having fun there and he brought that shit up ... I still liked the performance and the show but I would like these kind of quarrels do be forgotten in the show by both parties and in the forums ... it's so stupid, we should just appreciate the music and what they have to offer !

The force ... the force ...
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 11:02:27 AM »

What I think a lot of you have forgotten (or maybe don't know?) is that Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt, Izzy, Gilby, Steven, and Dizzy all came from the metel scene in the 80's, and all the musicians from that time where part of a scene that are known to bad-mouth eachother, get into fights with eachothers and then sometimes make up, become friends again, anf maybe do something together musically.. It was the style to be,act and talk, same as the HipHop scene does now,and in the 90's, but many times it's all just part of the game, and image, and you are putting a lot more into it than I think both VR, GnR, Axl and Slash does.. I think that both Slash and Axl deep inside wants to make up and become friends again, because they had a really close relationship before, but it's about pride, and who takes the first step, witch none of them dares, because they are afraid they'd get a door closed in the face by the other one..
My suggestion for the peace negotiator would be Brian May, who is respected and loved by them both, and he respect and love them both as well. Queen had a major influence on GnR, and I think mostly everyone of the old line up has stated that the Freddy Mercury tribute was a highlight in their lives..

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
fixintodie
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 11:07:52 AM »

Of course it's Axl's band, it's GNR and he's the only original member left ... but at the same time we own some respect for the guys and give them a chance. And it may be axl's band but the new "hired or not" members did participate in the creation of chinese democracy, it's not like Axl did it by himself.

I was at the VR show in Paris yesterday, I was really into it until Scott Weiland said a "joke" about Axl ... I think Weiland is a great performer no matter what some may say but I was kinda disapointed because I was really having fun there and he brought that shit up ... I still liked the performance and the show but I would like these kind of quarrels do be forgotten in the show by both parties and in the forums ... it's so stupid, we should just appreciate the music and what they have to offer !

Just out of curiosity, what did Scott say?
coolman78SLASH
VIP

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 11:20:12 AM »

Yeah, I want to know that as well...?

GnR June 10th 1993
GnR June 28th 2006
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 11:24:13 AM »

Do any of you think Slash cares if he hurts Robin Finks feelings by saying it's not really Guns N' Roses? He's just speaking his mind, and in his mind it's not "really" Guns N' Roses. Sure they happen to have the same name, and they do tend to play alot of songs that Slash played on but, it's not really GnR. Thats like if in 1972 John Lennon decided to hire Larry, Darryl, and Darryl and called them the Beatles. Sure it would be the same name, but not quite the same Fab Four. Would Paul be wrong saying it wasn't the Beatles it was just John's band??

Of course this is where the other question comes up: "Why is he talking about Axl so much?"

Answer: Because he is asked about it, see Slash released an album and is touring which tends to attract press. For those of you who don't understand the concept of Press, they go after stories of interest. The relationship (or lack there of) with Axl is sort of interesting. So reporters Ask questions about the interesting topic. You'll see this with Axl if he ever does anything that attracts press like release Chinese Democracy. He will be asked questions about his "other freinds" and he will answer. He sure didn't seem to embaressed to talk about his other freinds in the short amount of time he left his Hermits Retreat in Malibu to tour.  There was the story about Izzy's drinking and Drug use, there was the comment about Slash being in his ass, there was the speech about his other freinds trying to hold him down and make sure he couldn't make his comeback (still waiting for that comeback Axl....).

Lastly if Robin Tommy or Richard can't stand to be talked about and there self esteem is that low where Slash's comments actually get to them, then this ought to be a long smooth road with Axl for these guys..............
fixintodie
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 11:30:01 AM »

Do any of you think Slash cares if he hurts Robin Finks feelings by saying it's not really Guns N' Roses? He's just speaking his mind, and in his mind it's not "really" Guns N' Roses. Sure they happen to have the same name, and they do tend to play alot of songs that Slash played on but, it's not really GnR. Thats like if in 1972 John Lennon decided to hire Larry, Darryl, and Darryl and called them the Beatles. Sure it would be the same name, but not quite the same Fab Four. Would Paul be wrong saying it wasn't the Beatles it was just John's band??

Of course this is where the other question comes up: "Why is he talking about Axl so much?"

Answer: Because he is asked about it, see Slash released an album and is touring which tends to attract press. For those of you who don't understand the concept of Press, they go after stories of interest. The relationship (or lack there of) with Axl is sort of interesting. So reporters Ask questions about the interesting topic. You'll see this with Axl if he ever does anything that attracts press like release Chinese Democracy. He will be asked questions about his "other freinds" and he will answer. He sure didn't seem to embaressed to talk about his other freinds in the short amount of time he left his Hermits Retreat in Malibu to tour.? There was the story about Izzy's drinking and Drug use, there was the comment about Slash being in his ass, there was the speech about his other freinds trying to hold him down and make sure he couldn't make his comeback (still waiting for that comeback Axl....).

Lastly if Robin Tommy or Richard can't stand to be talked about and there self esteem is that low where Slash's comments actually get to them, then this ought to be a long smooth road with Axl for these guys..............

Personally I just think Slash and Duff take a lot of cheap shots. It splits their fanbase, and it seems to me it's time to have a little dignity and just let Axl do his thing while they do the VR thing. This would also work to their benefit in that they could talk a little more about VR instead of constantly drudging up old GN'R shit from years ago.

Everyones aware that Slash & Duff disapprove of the new lineup. Tough titty. They should have stayed if they wanted their opinion on the band's future to count for shit. Lets move on.
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 11:31:15 AM »

A. VR actually put out an album they have to promote in public.

B. I agree that the new band is not really GNR.? I am not saying Axl didn't hire some great musicians, but they have no say in when they tour, when the release the album, etc.? They aren't seen in public hanging out with Axl.? They are hired musicians.

C. At least VR doesn't force the interviewiers not ask questions about the past!!!!

D. There is still no signs of Chinese Democracy, no matter what Stinson says.? To me, it sounds like he really has no clue when it will be out.

E.? Axl continues to waste precious time off his career.? It would be like Michael Jordan taking off 10 years in the prime of his career.? He has wasted so much time.?

I obviously love Axl Rose's music or I wouldn't come here every day starving for a shred of news, but that doesn't mean I am not going to bring up Axl's shortcomings.

I agree with all your points.

I don't view Axl's project as GNR is any way really.  Too much is too different to call this lineup GNR.  I am still anxious to hear what 8 years of working on an album will sound like, but it really isn't GNR.  The only reason anyone here calls them GNR is because of a legal contract that Duff and Slash were forced to sign by a cry-baby pre-madonna that threatened to quit if they didn't.  That is not reason enough for me to consider them GNR.  This is Axl's solo project and that is that.  Some of the reasons why this isn't GNR include:

1.  There are no original members left (besides Axl).

2.  It would appear that even the original "fuck you" GNR attitude is gone.

3.  New musicians (you can't really call them members because they don't act like a band in any way) come from way different backgrounds and musical influences that GNR.

4.   If the rumors are true, there could be up to 7 or 8 orchestration numbers on CD (yuck!)

5.   Even Axl's trademark hair is gone.

You all have the right to consider this GNR because Axl tells you it is.  He has some people here completely brainwashed anyway.  But remember that the only reason he has the right to call it GNR is because he pulled his cry-baby pre-madonna act and forced Duff and Slash to sign that contract thing before a show or he was gonna take his microphone and go home.  Duff and Slash has the class and consideration of the fans in mind and the fact that they wanted the show to go on when they agreed to sign that thing.  Axl was only considering himself.

It's Axl's solo project in my mind.  I am very anxious to hear Axl's solo record when it hits stores...I mean when I download it off IRC 10 days before it hits stores.

-TyRod-
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 11:34:09 AM »

It's G'n'R because thats the name they used to tour with. Isn't this thread getting off topic and becoming a dead horse discussion?

Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2004, 11:37:13 AM »

Something like GNR was in the grave and that tonight there's no redhead guest but Izzy Stradlin' ... Keep in mind these are not the exact words I wasn't there with a pen Wink I don't actually care, I loved the show, all I'm saying is that it doesn't help the fans  Wink

The force ... the force ...
fixintodie
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 11:37:17 AM »

Axl FORCED them to sign a contract. Cool! I wonder if he can force them to write me a check for a couple of mil. They could have said no. They would ultimately leave the band anyway. So he wouldn't have gone onstage that night. Big deal, in the context of GN'R. One more cancelled gig. Whoop-de-doo. From all the reports I've heard, Slash and Duff were too stoned and drunk to know what the fuck they were doing.

Even Axl's trademark hair is gone?! Trademark hair?! Are you kidding me? If the guy changes his hairstyle for the first time since 1987, it's somehow losing part of the GN'R legend?

coolman78SLASH
VIP

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 11:48:31 AM »

Axl FORCED them to sign a contract. Cool! I wonder if he can force them to write me a check for a couple of mil. They could have said no. They would ultimately leave the band anyway. So he wouldn't have gone onstage that night. Big deal, in the context of GN'R. One more cancelled gig. Whoop-de-doo. From all the reports I've heard, Slash and Duff were too stoned and drunk to know what the fuck they were doing.

Even Axl's trademark hair is gone?! Trademark hair?! Are you kidding me? If the guy changes his hairstyle for the first time since 1987, it's somehow losing part of the GN'R legend?

Well he threatned them with that he would not go on stage.. Maybe they used alcohol, or drug, but I think they signed it because they diden't want to let down the 30000 fans who had showed up, and maybe they were fearing a riot like the ones that had happened before.. All Slash has ever cared about is to play rock n roll, what's so fucking wrong with that ??

GnR June 10th 1993
GnR June 28th 2006
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: