Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227933 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Finck doing scom solos (good or bad)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finck doing scom solos (good or bad)  (Read 19271 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: July 30, 2006, 12:02:29 PM »

I know you will all attack me for this but I have watched many of the youtubes posted for this song and robin is just awfull on these solos.. I know you're going to say it's "his" style or some bad recordings or whatever other excuse that can be though up..

Lets talk honestly, does he fuck up on these solos or not

You know when someone outside of the gnr world covers a gnr tune everyone is so brutally honest, but with new gnr it's like no one even mentions this..

What old tunes do you feel he's better at ,and what ones do you feel he butchers?

SCOM is just the easiest example for me...
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 12:03:11 PM »

I know you will all attack me for this but I have watched many of the youtubes posted for this song and robin is just awfull on these solos.. I know you're going to say it's "his" style or some bad recordings or whatever other excuse that can be though up..

Lets talk honestly, does he fuck up on these solos or not

You know when someone outside of the gnr world covers a gnr tune everyone is so brutally honest, but with new gnr it's like no one even mentions this..

What old tunes do you feel he's better at ,and what ones do you feel he butchers?

SCOM is just the easiest example for me...

He seemed just fine when he did it last night

Here today...ready to rock
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 12:05:07 PM »

he butchers all slash's stuff, not fincks fault, its just slash has a unuqie sound that is hard to acheive

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »

I have seen him butcher others, but SCOM, he seems to nail. ?I can tell you this, the middle irs solo that has evolved, and one can see on the Manchester and Birmingham youtube clips, is dead on! ?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »

he butchers all slash's stuff, not fincks fault, its just slash has a unuqie sound that is hard to acheive

So far the two that first come to mind is scom and nr..

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »

check on on newgnr.com, the SCOM from Hammerstein, its awesome, it was the best I ve ever heard finck play it.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »

I don't get this, the SCOM solo seems to me to be the one solo he NAILS just perfectly. ?smoking

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

I don't get this, the SCOM solo seems to me to be the one solo he NAILS just perfectly. ?smoking

Not the mid solo...
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »

the two times iv heard it, he adds his own stuff into it which realy doesnt fit!!!its so easy is another solo he wrecks IMO

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 12:13:16 PM »

Yeah Slash's tone is what sets him apart from most. ?He has one of the richest tones I've heard. ?His stuff isn't actually that hard to play and it's all pretty basic scale wise......but it's the magic of the tone. ?The studio version of SCOM to this day is magic to my ears to hear the opening notes and solo. ?Apparently he used a knock-off Les Paul copy on that album to record it, but doesn't play with it live.

From what I've seen live, Finck does a decent job on it...I think he definitely wants to put his own style on it and his guitar has more of a looser sound to it. ?He seems to be a little bit more faithful than in 2002 (and mind you I'm only basing this on seeing one show from 2006 on AOL at that), but all in all I think he does well on the songs. ?

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 12:13:49 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6-4Lf2roA7I&search=sweet%20child%20o%20mine%20solo

the quality is bad, but the song sounds different.. ?I'm not saying he always messes up, just saying many of the youtubes I've heard sound off during the mid solos
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 12:13:55 PM »

I really, really liked his SCOM solo in RIR3.

Then again, when I first saw him live in Helsinki, right before his SCOM solo I kept thinking 'don't screw it, don't screw it'. He started off ok and then did something so blatantly removed from the original, I realized he could've nailed it, if he wanted to. He just chose to use a different route. It's Finck's style, which I think doesn't quite lend itself to bootlegs. His sound's very emotional and goes great with the performance.

At the same time, I'll wager the record will feature a technically surprisingly skilled Finck.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »

Not the mid solo...

If you're talking about the solos between the verses, that's Bumblefoot.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »

Not the mid solo...

If you're talking about the solos between the verses, that's Bumblefoot.

No I'm talking robin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6-4Lf2roA7I&search=sweet%20child%20o%20mine%20solo
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »

He does it good some nights and bad other nights i think.
By the way i have seen a LOT of bootlegs of Axl's new band, and Finck does tend to fuck up a lot of solos. It's so easy especially, sometimes SCOM, sometimes he fucks up the small solo in the middle of Live and Let die, (which i hate becuase its hard to improvise on such a small solo so he basically is fucking it up, and also if anyones seen any old boots when Slash did that small solo he got a huge cheer from the audience EVERYTIME!). The only one i've seen him play well regularly is My Michelle. (although he's fucked that one up too on occasion confused). And i hate the way people say he's technically gifted. Listen everyone, FUCK UP! I can play the live and let die solo, my mate can the SCOM solo to a tee and IT's so easy is simple, how anyone can start that off on the wrong note is beyond me. Now you want technically gifted you have to go to the Van Halens and the Paul Gilberts or the Hendrixs, not the bloody Fincks hihi
madagas
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »

Mike, no offense, but why start a thread that you could write all the replies to..same thing gets said every time. Some like it, some don't. It's like arguing about Republicans and Democrats, North vs South,etc.....you Yankee son of a bitch! Grin just kidding on the last part. Yours truly, Johnny Reb beer
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 12:23:26 PM »

It's Finck's style, which I think doesn't quite lend itself to bootlegs.

Care to explain that? It's not like people fuck around with the bootlegs to make it sound like he's fucking a solo up!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 12:25:47 PM »

To be fair, if u're comparing Finck's playing with the studio version of SCOM, then nobody's going to come close... Only Slash can perfectly bend and at the same time apply the correct amount of wah to sound like that...

Fuck 'Em All.
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 12:28:32 PM »

I don't get this, the SCOM solo seems to me to be the one solo he NAILS just perfectly.  smoking

Not the mid solo...

What the one Ron Thal has been doing?

Finck has been utterly brilliant on the European tour, the highlight of the two shows I went to (Donnington and Manchester). His stage presence is immense and he is a great guitarist. He puts so much energy into his performances and he has by far the most personality of any Guns guitarist. His 'style' that you mimic is his own. He isn't trying to be Slash. If he were he would stand still and bore everyone to death.

Don't make comments based on bootlegs and shitty mp3's of the shows. If you were there you would be thoroughly entertained by him. This current lineup is a far more entertaining stage act than any previous incarnation. As for SCOM, Finck plays this brilliantly.

Robin Finck is as much a part of GNR as anyone. Once CD is out and he is all over the music channels, he will be a superstar.

Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »

He isn't trying to be Slash. If he were he would stand still and bore everyone to death.

With that statement you just showed that you have NEVER seen the original GNR live, or anything Slash has done live for that matter. I think you're confusing him with Buckethead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: