Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 01:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227932 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  I want UYI I and II re recorded
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I want UYI I and II re recorded  (Read 19070 times)
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 10:17:39 PM »

What the hell is the point of re-recording an album? Maybe Robert Plant and Jimmy Page should re-record Led Zeppelin 2. Hell, maybe Van Hagar should have re-recorded Van Halen Diver Down.
I have a great idea. How about instead of re-recording a fucking album that doesn't need to be re-recorded, the band release a NEW album.
Christ.

Well said? ok

You guys do know that the new band re-recorded Appetite right ?

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 10:23:41 PM »

Yes, when they were learning to play together and getting used to the Appetite material, most of which is part of their current set - re-recording seemed to have a purpose behind it rather than it simply being something to do - I doubt very much that the intention was to "make Appetite better" than it originally was.?

In my opinion, the new GnR are well past that point now and have become a pretty well-oiled machine.  From here on out, I hope the focus is on recording new material...?
Megaguns
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2006, 12:40:35 AM »

I hope they re record a select few songs from the old records and release them as b sides for the singles from cd.

Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2006, 01:14:01 AM »

Without reading through most of the posts so far, I would like to say NO.

Reasoning is that it's been done. The only reason ANYONE is asking for it is because we are starved for new stuff but to canibalise the old stuff is wrong. We will probably never hear the studio version of the new band doing AFD.. maybe thats for the best. For now though, fuck the past.. I'm enjoying it as it is, I'm looking forward to the future.

Cheers

Scree

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2006, 01:34:51 AM »

What the hell is the point of re-recording an album? Maybe Robert Plant and Jimmy Page should re-record Led Zeppelin 2. Hell, maybe Van Hagar should have re-recorded Van Halen Diver Down.
I have a great idea. How about instead of re-recording a fucking album that doesn't need to be re-recorded, the band release a NEW album.
Christ.

Well said? ok

Apparently not. Some of these comments are bashing GN'R, and they don't even realize it.

Yes, when they were learning to play together and getting used to the Appetite material, most of which is part of their current set - re-recording seemed to have a purpose behind it rather than it simply being something to do - I doubt very much that the intention was to "make Appetite better" than it originally was. 

In my opinion, the new GnR are well past that point now and have become a pretty well-oiled machine. From here on out, I hope the focus is on recording new material... 

But if a band is simply going to learn the album for concert shows, why re-record? Why not just learn the songs like any other band, when they practice their set?

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2006, 02:17:40 AM »

I don't know man. If you were around when the Illusions came out you would realize that changing them would be like changing the past. I think of how it would have sounded stripped down like Appetite, but then it wouldn't be the bastion of decadence, excess and ego that it is. We were lucky to get those albums in the first place, just like we'll be lucky to hear CD when it gets released. Like someone said earlier in this post, release the raw demos or what not, but fuck re-recording a classic.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2006, 03:31:32 AM »

I don't know man. If you were around when the Illusions came out you would realize that changing them would be like changing the past. I think of how it would have sounded stripped down like Appetite, but then it wouldn't be the bastion of decadence, excess and ego that it is. We were lucky to get those albums in the first place, just like we'll be lucky to hear CD when it gets released. Like someone said earlier in this post, release the raw demos or what not, but fuck re-recording a classic.

I was around then, and I think the albums are fine. It doesn't change the fact that I might want to hear what the current band sounds like in the studio on these tracks.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
EFISH
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2006, 03:34:13 AM »

I want UYI I and II re recorded

Wouldn't you prefer some new music rather then this GNR covering the OLD GNR? They already get shit for playing so many old songs..... I just want Chinese Democracy to be released so that they can play ALOT of there new material and cut back on the old stuff.

This is a different band, and I want to hear their stuff.
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2006, 06:10:06 AM »

The technology that was used on the Illusions is not much different than what is availble today....as far as sound quality goes anyway...besides the sound on the Illusions is perfect,,,why does everyone always want to fuck with things that arent broken??? If you remember they remastered Nirvana's music on the 2002 greatest hits album and it SUCKED!! It lost the classic sound it had

even axl said it's not perfect. listen to estranged on some stereos. you can't even hear axl's voice in estranged sometimes.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
Gunner Fucker
Axl's Yes Man
Headliner

Bucketwho?

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2006, 06:21:33 AM »

I want Chinese fuckin' Democracy

If All I Knew Was That With You I'd Want Someone To Save Me, It'd Be Enough.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2006, 08:18:57 AM »

Christ.

Well said? ok

Apparently not. Some of these comments are bashing GN'R, and they don't even realize it.

Yes, when they were learning to play together and getting used to the Appetite material, most of which is part of their current set - re-recording seemed to have a purpose behind it rather than it simply being something to do - I doubt very much that the intention was to "make Appetite better" than it originally was.?

In my opinion, the new GnR are well past that point now and have become a pretty well-oiled machine. From here on out, I hope the focus is on recording new material...?

But if a band is simply going to learn the album for concert shows, why re-record? Why not just learn the songs like any other band, when they practice their set?

Obviously, I'm totally guessing here, but as a musician myself, I think recording offers a few advantages to a new band.  First, practicing live is one thing, but it's great to be able to objectively step back and listen to your own parts and how they mesh with the other players...much easier to do when listening to a recorded playback than trying to make those judgements while playing live and/or practicing.   Second, going into the studio to record can be another beast entirely in terms of personalities, how everyone gets along throughout the process, etc...it can be quite a test at times.  The studio is a great way to see if members can survive one another, and how well they can come together to get the job done...
Orgasmatron
Headliner

Hey, Chicken Boy..

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2006, 08:23:13 AM »

Holy shit, soon we'll be having more of those "We want AFD2000" threads...

The Spaghetti Incident? on NEWGNR.com is quite simply put; God!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »

If so, they're not going to come from me.  Again, the last thing I want to see is the current band re-recording old material.  I just think that a band can become a much tighter, more functional unit as a result of working together in the studio.  I can see why re-recording AFD would have had its benefits.  That purpose has been served, though, and it's time to focus on CD and new material.       beer
darkmonth
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2006, 09:32:48 AM »

I just want to see a remix/remaster/whatever to the Illusions.  UYI I really needs it, almost as much as And Justice for All does.

What a LUDICROUS statement!  The old Metallica albums are mixed badly ... I will say that.... But the Illusions albums were fucking brilliantly mixed!  Perfect levels etc.

Man, don't be so crazy!
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »

I just want to see a remix/remaster/whatever to the Illusions.  UYI I really needs it, almost as much as And Justice for All does.

What a LUDICROUS statement!  The old Metallica albums are mixed badly ... I will say that.... But the Illusions albums were fucking brilliantly mixed!  Perfect levels etc.

Man, don't be so crazy!

Mixed well yes. EQ'd well, not so much. There's like NO mids on those albums at all.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
axlrosehunny
Banned
Rocker

I like cake

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2006, 02:32:49 PM »

I dont think Axl will ever re-record any of the old stuff and release it because then he will just be putting money in the old members pockets and I cant see that happening.

Not rercord them, but I would love to hear the new band play a select few songs from the UYI albums on tour.

I see this as more of a possibillity.   They all ready play a great deal of it live and rumors were of civil war being practiced.

I guess the best bet for you to hear the new members rerecord the old stuff would be for this new band to put out a live dvd, with some older stuff on it.  I can see that happening

If you dont like me, blow me!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »

Look lets be honest, its bad enough we dont have the original line-up, it would be even worse if the new band does anything to fuck with the old stuff....leave it alone and move forward...they are not going to make Appetite or the Illusions any BETTER...they are classics!!  I support the new band and think they are great guys and doing a great job, I have seen them in concert 6 times, but lets be honest, everyone really wants the original line-up....every arena on the last tour would have sold out in 30 seconds if it was the original band...that is what the people want...why would the new band piss people off by fuckin around with classic tracks...LEAVE IT ALONE!!!  The new songs are great and I love the direction they are going in,, they dont need the old songs,, the new ones are future classics....
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2006, 07:11:04 PM »

I hate this idea.
I have NO interest in a rerecorded AFD either.

This isn't any comment on the new band, or GnR in general either. It's jsut that, to me an album is a snapshot of a precise time. Just like a photo album. So regardless of whether it's good bad or ugly, it is what it is and it should stay that way. Anything more than the mild cleaning up of bad recording sounds (ie tape hiss on real old stuff) is not of interest to me.  So yeah, whatever might be imperfect on UYI is still part of the real UYI.

Reverb on the drums? That reflects the time it was recorded.
Izzy's place in the mix? That reflects the decisions the people in the room made at the time.
I don't want some hindsight reinterprtation. That's not a real album to me.

I mean, if you have photos in your photo album from ten years ago, and you think your hair looks shit, you don't get dressed up in the same gear, and reinact the photo do you, because it could never recapture the reality of the moment.

Also, the times I've heard this, it has almost always resulted ina  recording that can't touch the original, regardless of the quality of the recording techniques or the players' abilities.

I have some sympathy for smaller bands re-recording a best-of when they don't own the original recordings and the label isn't going to put one out, but even then, it's pointless artisticly IMO.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 07:13:43 PM by demo23nz » Logged
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »

The technology that was used on the Illusions is not much different than what is availble today....as far as sound quality goes anyway...besides the sound on the Illusions is perfect,,,why does everyone always want to fuck with things that arent broken??? If you remember they remastered Nirvana's music on the 2002 greatest hits album and it SUCKED!! It lost the classic sound it had

even axl said it's not perfect. listen to estranged on some stereos. you can't even hear axl's voice in estranged sometimes.

Yep. It's not that the 'grander' side of the music is 'overproduced', it's that literally the audio at times is overproduced with way too many vocals & guitars.

KOHD. The studio cut I think has shown it's age horribly. The three vocal tracks throughout the song sound bad, and i'm sure that narriation would be lifted now if it was re-done.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
nycangel
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »

i agree with anyone who says not to release the new recordings. if the new band rerecorded it fine, but i wouldnt release it if i was them. that would totally destroy the image of the original band in my eyes. i grew up with the original lineup from 1986 to the early 90s and went through every step with them being a new band. they can play those songs all they want live and rerecording them is fine, but i think releasing the rerecording album would be a huge mistake. those albums are nostaligic and shouldnt be touched.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: