Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227832 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl is Guns n Roses
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl is Guns n Roses  (Read 13508 times)
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: October 02, 2003, 03:22:03 PM »

There are a million amazing guitarists out there, but there are very few amazing singers.  How many people do you know that have the ability to duplicate Axl's voice?  I bet you don't know anyone.  What about Slash and izzy?  Anyone can duplicate their shit on guitar.  And you can talk about writing ability all you want, but here are the facts:  Slash is a good guitarist, but he cannot write on his own.  Both Snakepit albums sucked.  Izzy is not that great of a writer either.  To say that their albums did not live up to the GNR standard, is a massive understatement.  Only Axl can make them write material that meets the GNR standard.  It was only when they worked together, along with Axl's direction, that they were able to write what they did.

if it wasn't for Axl, we would have never heard of Guns n Roses.  Slash would be playing in bars.  Steven would have never been able to afford to have strokes and a heart attack, izzy would probably playing bars aswell.  and duff would be...still drunk.  Axl had the vocal talent, writing talent, look, goals and motivation to make it happen.  The other guys were lazy.  Axl brought the best out in them and made it happen.  So take it how you want folks, but this is the truth.
loretian
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 03:26:19 PM »

I think you might be underestimating the writing abilities of Slash and Izzy in particular, but I tend to agree with you overall.  Just get ready to get ripped to shreds by Booker, Falcon, providman and the usual.... they're already circling.   ok
its_so_easy
Rocker

axl rose is back!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 03:30:12 PM »

yeah, funny how Axl hasnt released anything without the old guys, apart from oh my god.

Good fuckin night
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 03:32:45 PM »

There are a million amazing guitarists out there, but there are very few amazing singers.  How many people do you know that have the ability to duplicate Axl's voice?  I bet you don't know anyone.  What about Slash and izzy?  Anyone can duplicate their shit on guitar.  And you can talk about writing ability all you want, but here are the facts:  Slash is a good guitarist, but he cannot write on his own.  Both Snakepit albums sucked.  Izzy is not that great of a writer either.  To say that their albums did not live up to the GNR standard, is a massive understatement.  Only Axl can make them write material that meets the GNR standard.  It was only when they worked together, along with Axl's direction, that they were able to write what they did.

if it wasn't for Axl, we would have never heard of Guns n Roses.  Slash would be playing in bars.  Steven would have never been able to afford to have strokes and a heart attack, izzy would probably playing bars aswell.  and duff would be...still drunk.  Axl had the vocal talent, writing talent, look, goals and motivation to make it happen.  The other guys were lazy.  Axl brought the best out in them and made it happen.  So take it how you want folks, but this is the truth.

Sigh, and now he's going and throwing it all down the tubes.... Shame, ain't it?  ok
KillYourIdols
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 03:55:50 PM »

Wow haven't had one of these in like 2 months....I don't have the energy to dispute this...just going to say it's not true.

~KYI
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 04:19:42 PM »

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven were Guns N Roses!

Without them, we would have never heard of Guns N Roses!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 04:20:23 PM by GNRgirl » Logged

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 05:10:10 PM »

Just get ready to get ripped to shreds by Booker, Falcon, providman and the usual.... they're already circling.   ok

Thanks for the mention, but it's not even worth the time... Cool

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Dizzy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 05:45:53 PM »

Oh yes, we all know Axl wrote and played every single note of music on AFD, didn't he?   Roll Eyes  Without the rest of the guys, Axl Rose would still be the mall-store stealing, girlfriend beating nobody named Bill Bailey.

Hey Nick 83
    Thanks for the most fucked up post EVER ON THIS BOARD.  LETS SEE, you were born in 1983, so that would make you a whopping 10 years old when spaghetti was released.  10. Ten. A big mature 10 year old.  You can take your fucked up views of Slash & "the boys" and shove them so far up your 20 year old ass, I hope your mother needs to remove them with plyers.  Go bloat like a dead fish and float upsidedown the river, you

Come on Washedup, you're holding back!  Let him know how you really feel.  [hihi]
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 05:54:13 PM »

Oh yes, we all know Axl wrote and played every single note of music on AFD, didn't he?   Roll Eyes  Without the rest of the guys, Axl Rose would still be the mall-store stealing, girlfriend beating nobody named Bill Bailey.

As would Izzy, as would Steve Adler...And as would Duff and possibly Slash.

But of course, you choose to ommit that.

I agree that Axl needed the rest of the band...

But you cannot deny that they fucking needed him.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
GNR-Rules
This space was intentionally left blank
Rocker

I used to live behind Tower Records on sunset!

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 06:00:56 PM »

Well, Axl did a lot for Guns N'Roses. But Slash and Izzy and Duff did help out. Its not all Axl you know... Smiley ok

Chinese Democracy Starts Right Now!
Dizzy
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 06:08:19 PM »

As would Izzy, as would Steve Adler...And as would Duff and possibly Slash.

No actually none of them would be dime store hoods named Bill Bailey.   Tongue

But of course, you choose to ommit that.

Because it wasn't relevant.

I agree that Axl needed the rest of the band...

Good, because he did.

But you cannot deny that they fucking needed him.

You're right, I won't deny that they fucking needed him.  Your sentence was so much more powerful with the word "fucking" in there, well done.   Tongue
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 09:15:24 PM by Dizzy » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 06:28:20 PM »

Hey Nick 83
    Thanks for the most fucked up post EVER ON THIS BOARD.  LETS SEE, you were born in 1983, so that would make you a whopping 10 years old when spaghetti was released.  10. Ten. A big mature 10 year old.  You can take your fucked up views of Slash & "the boys" and shove them so far up your 20 year old ass, I hope your mother needs to remove them with plyers.  Go bloat like a dead fish and float upsidedown the river, you faggot.

This post makes you seem really old.....  hihi

Aren't you the guy who's been banned about three times already?

Going for a new one?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 10:19:41 PM »

I think Axl was going to be a rockstar with, or without "Guns n Roses".  If he didn't make it with them, then he would have made it with others.  I can't say the that for Slash, Izzy, Duff, or Steven.
SwedeChildO'Mine
Guy in the locker, feeling like a
Rocker

W. Axl Rose - Pure talent

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 07:57:38 AM »

Of course without Slash,Izzy,Duff & Steven there would never be stuff like AFD.

But it's harder to replace Axl than anyone else from the original line-up. No angry-americans can't disagree unless they have bad taste.

We would see..   when both new GN'R and VR has released their new albums (2005 hopely) who's the best.

If GN'R then is better than VR Axl probably is better than Slash,Duff & Matt.   Perhaps, it's hard to compare but I hope you see the line.
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2003, 08:41:12 AM »

I cannot believe how many times we have had this conversation, all original 5 members were important, although I would say that Axl was probably a little more important than the others at drawing people in and getting attention to GnR. I think they could have all being 'rockstars' on their own but as a unit they were bigger than they ever would be alone. What does it matter how old people are, or can people not appreciate great music if they are young, if you think that you are truly pathetic, I am 17 and I appreciate lots of great music, and I notice you say 'a big mature 10', well mate judging by your post you are not all that mature yourself!  

That's a hatrick for Doull
Dizzy
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 04:09:29 PM »

I think Axl was going to be a rockstar with, or without "Guns n Roses".  If he didn't make it with them, then he would have made it with others.

Yeah, Hollywood Rose was a chart-topping, groundbreaking superstar band, weren't they?   Roll Eyes
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 11:34:15 PM »

I think Axl was going to be a rockstar with, or without "Guns n Roses".  If he didn't make it with them, then he would have made it with others.

Yeah, Hollywood Rose was a chart-topping, groundbreaking superstar band, weren't they?   Roll Eyes

Give me a break. the band didn't stay together long enough, and there was never a consistant member line up.  They never had the stability or time to develop into something successful.  So don't use Hollywood Rose as an example.
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2003, 03:26:02 AM »

Nick83

You have some interesting point of wiews in your writings, but also you write shit. Dissing the old members as you do is one thing that I believe you don't really know what you are talking about....I think also that Axl was more talented than other ex-members, but saying that Axl did all the job, create the whole band, composed all the fucking songs either doing the songs all by himself or pulling the riffs out of Izzy or Slash just the way he wanted....that's bullshit (my opinion)

I don't think that the ex-members were only tools for Axl (like I think about the current members) you know..Slash and Izzy could do great shit without Axl bushing them..But who the fuck knows..maybe Axl is a prodigy, the newage Mozart.. Wink
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2003, 03:50:45 AM »

I am not dissing the old members though.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2003, 07:25:49 PM »

I am not dissing the old members though.

Well it seems to me that you are dissing the ex-members, because you're giving Axl 100% of the credit for GNR's success to date, which is ever so slightly unrealistic and groupie-like.

Axl truly is a unique singer... I have yet to hear another rock singer that sounds quite like him, but to say anyone can "duplicate Slash and Izzy's shit on guitar" is a huge insult.

That must mean that five minutes after picking up a guitar for the first time, everyone should be able to nail Slash's SCOM solo, the bone-crunching Mr. Brownstone riffage, the interplay between the two guitars on Nightrain and the mastery of feedback control heard throughout most of Estranged.

What about the layers of riffs and lines heard in Locomotive, the highly emotive solos in November Rain, the sheer lunacy of the solos in songs such as Don't Damn Me and Perfect Crime. I suppose everyone and their uncle came up with the idea of rearranging the Godfather Theme into a rock instrumental before Slash did (yes, it was Slash's idea, not Axl's, which is probably what you would like to believe).

As for Izzy, what about his songwriting skills? Double Talking Jive, You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied Up to name but a few of the countless tunes to which he contributed on the Illusion albums, not to mention the significant contribution he made on Appetite for Destruction. I don't think it is any coincidence that the original Guns N' Roses failed to deliver any original music following Izzy's departure.

Next time you listen to Appetite for Destruction, do yourself a favour, and listen to it through headphones. The constantly duelling guitars throughout the album (assuming you have a deep enough listening ear to get past the vocals) show that the efforts of Slash and Izzy are in no way to be sniffed at. The rythym lines put down by Duff and Steven drive the whole thing along, and provide a catalyst for the chemistry required for the band to work. That's right, the band. That's five members, not just one.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 07:27:30 PM by jrs2001_99 » Logged

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: