Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 03:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Ritz...20 Years Later
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ritz...20 Years Later  (Read 31876 times)
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »

I never could understand why this wasn't released on video, it was so cool, I recorded it off the BBC programme Heavy Metal Heaven and then proceeded to watch it about 5000 times along with Faith No More's 'You Fat Bastards' video every saturday afternoon.

I'd quite happily buy it again if it was released as an official DVD, would be cool if they included the songs that were left out of the MTV version though (kinda reminds me of the Song Remains the Same how songs are left out)

Here today...ready to rock
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »

Ok, I am making a few notes after your comments about my post:

- ultimate R&R is about being off key, missing parts of songs and pretend it's cool because you are high, wearing a tight leather pants and jumping into the crowd.

- R&R is not about making music sound as good as possible.... no, it is about the other trivial quasi-macho stuff, that's what makes a gig "amazing", not what you hear.

- people who want to hear music played as good as possible must listen to classical music.

That's what I got from you, correct?

ok

More or less...hell if you don't like it, I'm sure there are some really neat N'Sync videos on YouTube that have some nice clean cut, rehearsed and sober performances for your tastes.  Macho is Rock N' Roll - look at Robert Plant, James Hetfield, Elvis...etc.

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »

- ultimate R&R is about being off key, missing parts of songs and pretend it's cool because you are high, wearing a tight leather pants and jumping into the crowd.

- R&R is not about making music sound as good as possible.... no, it is about the other trivial quasi-macho stuff, that's what makes a gig "amazing", not what you hear.

- people who want to hear music played as good as possible must listen to classical music.

ok

More or less...hell if you don't like it, I'm sure there are some really neat N'Sync videos on YouTube that have some nice clean cut, rehearsed and sober performances for your tastes.  Macho is Rock N' Roll - look at Robert Plant, James Hetfield, Elvis...etc.

Advising me Nsync, nice move, shows your intelligence.  Who said something about nice clean cut, I said I want quality and Ritz ain't got it, don't twist things around. That's the thing, if I have a different opinion than some here then I must go listen to Mozart and Nsync, lol.

But I'm glad you confessed that to you R&R is not about the music but about the fake macho posing Wink

They can go and pretend they are macho alpha males from Mars but as long as the music doesn't sound worse because of it....on the Ritz gig the music suffers, clearly.

Plant isn't macho, he's actually very feminine, Hetfield is more like an in the closet cowboy and Elvis is just a pretty white boy for girls.

I said Paris 1992 show is better on all fronts. Ritz is a poseur thing, even Slash said so  peace
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:40:59 PM by Atillla » Logged

This signature is very funny.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »

ok

and its also about it being 'raw' and 'real',  whatever that means.  Roll Eyes
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »

ok

and its also about it being 'raw' and 'real',  whatever that means.  Roll Eyes

Wow so ANYTHING regarding the old band you just dislike? Raw and Real means that it wasn't over produced or over done a la Tokyo 92 , a back up band etc. It was Raw as in it was just them and their instruments , nothing more nothing less, It was real in the sense that you felt  a connection to how they were on stage , they weren't Guns N Roses the famous rockstars , they were 5 guys who you could have a drink with...

I'm blown out of my mind so I'm not sure if that made ANY sense  hihi
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2008, 08:47:03 PM »

ok

Advising me Nsync, nice move, shows your intelligence.  Who said something about nice clean cut, I said I want quality and Ritz ain't got it, don't twist things around. That's the thing, if I have a different opinion than some here then I must go listen to Mozart and Nsync, lol.

But I'm glad you confessed that to you R&R is not about the music but about the fake macho posing Wink

They can go and pretend they are macho alpha males from Mars but as long as the music doesn't sound worse because of it....on the Ritz gig the music suffers, clearly.

Plant isn't macho, he's actually very feminine, Hetfield is more like an in the closet cowboy and Elvis is just a pretty white boy for girls.

I said Paris 1992 show is better on all fronts. Ritz is a poseur thing, even Slash said so  peace

Do you see the hypocracy in feeling that your words are getting twisted yet your reply to my comments does exactly that to my words?  Playing well is a part of what makes a show good but there is more to a great rock n' roll show.  Rock n' roll is about attitude and the Ritz show is just a glimpse of a band that had plenty of it.  Again, since this was the only pro shot concert of that time period, it reflects what the band was at that time before they moved into the superstar level.  If I want to hear a flawless performance I can listen to the cd.  Now this is not to say that I'd enjoy it if they destroyed the songs, but I won't complain about a few missed notes and other assorted mistakes.  If I had to show a kid just getting into music today what GN'R was all about I'd show them the Ritz show before anything else.  February 1988 was not far removed from them living on the streets and all of the things that inspired those songs.  All of that make this a great show to watch and look back and remember how it all began.  Paris was amazing and yes, definitely a better performance, but to no fault of their own they were a whole different monster by that point.  Thats just the nature of how they evolved and I wouldn't want it any other way because anything else would have been phoney. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2008, 08:57:50 PM »

It makes me smile to see so many here defending the rock n' roll attitude.

Let's remember that the next time GN'R tours!  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2008, 01:46:25 AM »

"They're gonna think we're the sloppiest band in the world. But I really don't give a fuck!"  ok

homo homini lupus...
Olorin
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »

/jarmo

Going slightly off topic here but  for me a big change in the current 2006/2007 line up performances is how raw and dirty and badass they sound compared to the more polished and sometimes perfect musicanship of the buckethead era.
Now they seem to get lost in the moment and and are actually having a great fucking time, who gives a fuck about a few bum notes here and there, its a live show for the audience in the room, not to be analyzed by nerds sitting at home.

RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »

ok

\

The Ritz was a show without the pizzaz and flash...it was bare bones, down to the core rock n' roll...if you can't accept that than move on.  Paris is a great show but the band had move to a whole new level by then, they had money and a ton of behind the scenes personnel working on lights and sound...it's still great rock n roll but it doesnt have the raw attitude of the Ritz. 

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2008, 12:01:07 PM »

/jarmo

Going slightly off topic here but  for me a big change in the current 2006/2007 line up performances is how raw and dirty and badass they sound compared to the more polished and sometimes perfect musicanship of the buckethead era.
Now they seem to get lost in the moment and and are actually having a great fucking time, who gives a fuck about a few bum notes here and there, its a live show for the audience in the room, not to be analyzed by nerds sitting at home.

And who cares if it doesn't start at 9PM and end before 11PM.. It's rock n' roll!  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »

/jarmo

And who cares if it doesn't start at 9PM and end before 11PM.. It's rock n' roll!  ok

/jarmo

Hell if it ends at 11 that ain't rock n roll now is it lol  ok
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »

ok

As Tommy Stinson once said, "Get on board or FUCK OFF!"
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2008, 08:05:14 PM »

It was real in the sense that you felt  a connection to how they were on stage , they weren't Guns N Roses the famous rockstars , they were 5 guys who you could have a drink with...

this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen you say.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2008, 08:28:10 PM »

I know it's kindof whiny to say, but I wish that Axl would address the crowd more during shows. Maybe he's saving his voice or something, but I love the crowd interaction.

That's one thing that's so cool about the Ritz shows. They are afterall, a bit smaller, but when he yells out into the crowd "hey...guy what did you say....I like that" that stuff is awesome. But then again the downloading motherf'r line was pretty awesome.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »

Speaking of rock star posers, nothing beats the 91-93 era of Guns N' Roses when it comes to being rock star posers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lMALbAlvnM8
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »

It was real in the sense that you felt  a connection to how they were on stage , they weren't Guns N Roses the famous rockstars , they were 5 guys who you could have a drink with...

this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen you say.

That's how they look on stage , that's something people like. They weren't huge and famous , they weren't AXL ROSE and SLASH , they were just axl rose and slash you know. Obviously many people here know what I'm saying and agree that the Ritz is a perfect display of what GN"R was about.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »

Speaking of rock star posers, nothing beats the 91-93 era of Guns N' Roses when it comes to being rock star posers.

Yeah, great clip.  Reminded me alot of Warrant or Bon Jovi.  hihi

I've tried watching the Ritz show and it's not bad...it's just not anywhere near my favorite GNR shows.  Favorite shows usually aren't set in stone, but two I thoroughly enjoy are Chicago, April '92, and Paris June, '92.  In my opinion, Axl gives a better performance in that era compared to the early days.  Just my opinion.  It's similar to my preference for GNR '06-'07 compared to '00-'02.  For some reason I prefer Axl's voice and on-stage energy more in '90-'93 and '06-'07 than '86-'89, '00-'02.

All that said, c'mon it's Axl, it's GNR, every era is awesome and blows all other bands away.   yes  peace 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »

Yeah, great clip.  Reminded me alot of Warrant or Bon Jovi.  hihi

I've tried watching the Ritz show and it's not bad...it's just not anywhere near my favorite GNR shows.  Favorite shows usually aren't set in stone, but two I thoroughly enjoy are Chicago, April '92, and Paris June, '92.  In my opinion, Axl gives a better performance in that era compared to the early days.  Just my opinion.  It's similar to my preference for GNR '06-'07 compared to '00-'02.  For some reason I prefer Axl's voice and on-stage energy more in '90-'93 and '06-'07 than '86-'89, '00-'02.

All that said, c'mon it's Axl, it's GNR, every era is awesome and blows all other bands away.   yes  peace

Voice is one thing, but energy? His energy was OFF THE CHARTS during that Ritz show.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »

Yeah, great clip.  Reminded me alot of Warrant or Bon Jovi.  hihi

I've tried watching the Ritz show and it's not bad...it's just not anywhere near my favorite GNR shows.  Favorite shows usually aren't set in stone, but two I thoroughly enjoy are Chicago, April '92, and Paris June, '92.  In my opinion, Axl gives a better performance in that era compared to the early days.  Just my opinion.  It's similar to my preference for GNR '06-'07 compared to '00-'02.  For some reason I prefer Axl's voice and on-stage energy more in '90-'93 and '06-'07 than '86-'89, '00-'02.

All that said, c'mon it's Axl, it's GNR, every era is awesome and blows all other bands away.   yes  peace

Voice is one thing, but energy? His energy was OFF THE CHARTS during that Ritz show.

true man.  I'll give ya that!  I am a sucker for the sustained screams, occasional piano ballads, and band members moving all over the stage.  It's all subjective.  Like I said, it's GNR, it's quality!  yes 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: