Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:46:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses and Kids
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses and Kids  (Read 12997 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »

Appreciate the feedback, and pilferk, I agree with you about taking the music away if he uses the F word again, but to repeat what you said, it would be difficult for him to understand why that one specific word is not ok, and would almost end up calling more attention to it than necessary.  I'd like to see if I can get my hands on the edited version of the Ritz 88 concert.  I have the unedited version now.

Everybody's kids are different.  Our kids, at 3, generally understood good and bad actions.  Hugging is good, hitting is bad.  They also generally got "consequences" (if you hit, you get a time out).  We didn't run into foul language until later (when our eldest came home, at 7, and dropped the f-bomb), and linguistic differentiation might be tough for a kid just really learning pronunciation, but I'm not sure the alternative is better: Taking something away from them, that they like, without ANY explanation or chance to retain it....because once you have to explain it, you're pretty much back into explaining why one word is bad when another isn't.  To my mind, if you're going to have to try to explain it, anyway, at least give the kids a chance to internalize it and learn.  If they don't....then, at least, you can reinforce the notion of consequences and personal responsibility (which they DO start to learn that young).

On the broader parenting discussion, I also don't agree with sheltering your kids, but it needs to be age appropriate.  My boys are 3 and 10 months, so I have awhile for they really start getting exposed to more sexual and violent things, but when the begin to understand those things, and when I can expect their friends to start talking about them, I will try to be there first for them to provide an appropriate context.  Its a fine line trying to balance being a typical parent and being there friend to to extent that you want them to trust you and tell you everything thats going on.  No easy answers, but it starts with spending quality time with them, which is not something all parents do.

Agree, 100%.  We answer questions when they're asked.  And we try to spend as much quality time with them, and be as supportive of them as possible.  So far, though they're still young, the lines of communication (even with our soon to be 9 year old) are open and flowing in both directions.  Hopefully...we can continue that through their teen years...which I'm dreading. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
axlsbrain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »

let the little dude say what he wants.  the important thing is that he grows up well adjusted with parents that love his ass, and do their best to teach him right n wrong.  in the grand scheme of things, him yelling "do you know where the fuck you are" is small potatoes, and he'll stop doing it soon anyway.  if he does it in school too much or at the neighbors house, he'll get punished and learn.  also, and take no offense to this, wives blow everything out of proportion because all they do is worry about their kids... 

the f word is everywhere now.  there's some show on the discovery channel, or maybe its the learning channel, ?, and its called "it's effin science."    that's on basic cable, so swearing is not as bad as it used to be..

now if he's settin the god damn house on fire, or killing animals, then you got some problems... lol
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »

Excuse me but what a fucking ridiculos topic! For a message board about music,about rock n roll, about Guns N' Fucking Roses!

I'm going out on a limb here, being prejudiced...but you are americans right? There is so much cruelty and sadness in the world,vioclence and drugs. And you are Gnr fans concerned about how to protect your children from foul langauage? In GNR songs??
You fuckin hypocritical fucks should be happy you have children! And that they are not on crack!!!

Who are you to tell your kids listening to GNR is wrong if they enjoy it? Why don't you fuck off and buy something from the new age section???

Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK Fuck fuck FUCK

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

Just to clarify, the poster above is SWEDISH.

This concludes this Public Service Announcement.

Thank you.

Grin

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »

Swedish or not, I guess we are all entitled to an opinion!!

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »

@Sillything: Thank u Mr. Knowitall........

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: