Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 06:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227841 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 261317 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »

I'm sorry I even started this thread knowing it would come to this.  Then again the bashing doesn't surprise me... HEY GNR is on tour let's talk about that.  Grin

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 06:24:38 AM »

ok, show one thing in what i said that isn't the truth

did he quit GNR twice to run back to Trent?  YES    so u should apologize for not knowing shit

Did he leave Axl hanging with CD coming out without explanation? YES  so once again, maybe U should get the facts before coming in here looking like a jackass
So you know everything that happened between Robin and the band? We just know what has been made public. So YES, once again, you're full of shit.

U don't just jack a post of mine and spew some bullshit without backing up your lies with some truth.

so either prove me wrong or kindly STFU ok ok
Wow, tough guy!

What you said is not the full story, period. We may never know what reasons Robin had, as much as you want to put him as this evil dude who left all behind - including his own work.

Your cheap shots at Robin in every single thread leads me to think you actually love the guy. hihi

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »

And what about that awful solo in This I Love that Ashba brought us? Roll Eyes

Edited to add: not really a shot at the guy, I assume he's quite nervous to play those first GNR gigs. But then, don't come here talking about how Robin was "sloppy" and DJ is flawless, because this couldn't be more far from the truth.

The fact to me is that Ashba can't properly play Robin's solos, unlike Slash ones. Even on the old songs, I rather hear Robin's versions in the old songs than the copycat of Slash takes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:57:52 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »

Well, he's probably not used to playing such a random, unmelodious solo. Hell, that thing is so random, it's hard to remember after even so many listens. The fact that a good guitarist like Ashba can't play Robin's solo as well as he does Slash's, IMO, says more about how poor the solo is than his skills.

Great guitar solos are not ambiguous. You don't have half the people who listen to it say that it is crap. If you say that the solos in 'Hotel California', 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or 'Stairway To Heaven' are not good, you either don't know WTF you're are saying or you're biased. Everybody agrees those are exceptional solos.

TIL doesn't even come close.

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »

Jesus. What kind of heartless being do you have to be to not find the solo in This I Love one of the most beautiful things recorded in years? It's absolutely amazing!
Haven't heard DJ playing that song in more than a video with poor sound quality so far, so I can't comment on it. But of the solos I have heard in passable quality, I find it hard to believe he'd screw it up so badly.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »

Jesus. What kind of heartless being do you have to be to not find the solo in This I Love one of the most beautiful things recorded in years? It's absolutely amazing!
Haven't heard DJ playing that song in more than a video with poor sound quality so far, so I can't comment on it. But of the solos I have heard in passable quality, I find it hard to believe he'd screw it up so badly.
he did

robin's TIL solo is my favorite solo on the record, so beautiful, it's as fragile, innocent and heartbroken as the lyrics of the song
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

robin's TIL solo is my favorite solo on the record, so beautiful, it's as fragile, innocent and heartbroken as the lyrics of the song

Exactly! The only people who say the solo sucks are the same people who have been bashing Robin for years anyway, so their opinion means nothing.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »

Exactly! The only people who say the solo sucks are the same people who have been bashing Robin for years anyway, so their opinion means nothing.
Indeed. Those "half the people who listen to it and say its crap" are more concerned about it being very far from Slash's style than the piece itself.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »

just sayin, he turned his back on the fans with no explanation.

to be fair, most "fans" did nothing but ridicule him while he was in the band.   And he has reached out and communicated to GnR fans in the past on his website.

He kept himself active.   He did what he wanted to do.  Axl had nothing ill to say about him in the chats last year, and Robin isn't the type to talk a whole lot anyways.
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

I find it hard to believe he'd screw it up so badly.

Ever played guitar?  Being a half step off on something you are trying to memorize can really get messy.  It's not the easiest thing to try and stay faithful to a solo you didn't write/play when you're a guitar player.  Esp. in Ashba's position where he hasn't had a lot of time to ingrain the parts and just feel it.  Look at Ron's solos so far these last two shows, nearly flawless, but 2 + years of working on it.

The fact to me is that Ashba can't properly play Robin's solos, unlike Slash ones

Way too early to say that.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:31:14 PM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »

This is a Guns N Roses forum.  This is not a Robin Finck Forum. So don't expect total praise for Robin Finck on a Guns N Roses board.

Who is Guns N Roses?

Axl
Dizzy
Tommy
Frank
Ron
Richard
DJ
Chris

Finck isn't GNR.  He was a decent player and played some nice parts on CD. 

So DJ butchered a solo of a guy that butchered hundreds of solos while with GNR. 

(Does my above post sound like the type of posts we have been reading for years about another former GNR guitar player?  I thought so.)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »

Esp. in Ashba's position where he hasn't had a lot of time to ingrain the parts and just feel it.  Look at Ron's solos so far these last two shows, nearly flawless, but 2 + years of working on it.
Ron had two weeks. Ashba had 7 months.

The fact to me is that Ashba can't properly play Robin's solos, unlike Slash ones

Way too early to say that.
Indeed, it was. Just saw him screwing up his November Rain solo too.

This is a Guns N Roses forum.  This is not a Robin Finck Forum. So don't expect total praise for Robin Finck on a Guns N Roses board.
I don't expect. But don't tell me Ashba is the best thing since sliced bread while taking shots at Robin because of a slopiness.

Who is Guns N Roses?

Axl
Dizzy
Tommy
Frank
Ron
Richard
DJ
Chris

Finck isn't GNR.  He was a decent player and played some nice parts on CD. 
He probably will be on the second album just like Buckethead did on Chinese. He is out, indeed, but he will still part of the band in that matter.

So DJ butchered a solo of a guy that butchered hundreds of solos while with GNR. 

(Does my above post sound like the type of posts we have been reading for years about another former GNR guitar player?  I thought so.)
DJ bucthered Sorry, November Rain, This I Love and Street of Dreams. Not just "a solo". Still, people rather comment on how cool he looks while saying Robin was the worst thing ever.

And no, this has nothing to do with Slash.

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

I'm sorry, but I know for a fact that Sorry and Street Of Dreams were not butchered by DJ. Far from it.
You prefer Robin, fair enough. But don't go making accusations like that, which are just ridiculous.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2009, 06:04:09 PM »

DJ and Robin, and Fortus are all around the same level in skill.  I wouldn't say they are "elite" players, but they are solid touring players for sure.  Bucket and Bumble are on another level. 
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »

Once you start nitpicking this "who is a better guitarist", you start to lose out on what makes a great rock band.  These shows shouldn't be exams on technical skill.

What's the "rippin-ist" Beatles or Who solo??  I think Keith Richards put it best when he said it all becomes a "fastest gun in the West" mentallity when you try to compare technical soloing skill.

The original line-up had obvious chemistry while it lasted.  Time will tell with this group, but so far they seem like they are having fun and giving the crowd a great show.

Chicago 11/15/11
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2009, 09:40:48 PM »

Much like some people who like Robin regardless of how crappy he plays sometimes. Their opinion means nothing more either. I'll be the first to admit that Robin's solos / work on songs like Better, TWAT and the like are superb, but don't expect everyone to be as forgiving, when he botches up songs live or records a solo that sounds like a cat being tortured, let alone being "Fragile and Heartbroken".

Fuck 'Em All.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »

i gotta start torture some cats, never liked the animal anyways and appearantly it sounds beautiful Tongue
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »

It would if you like the TIL solo. Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

i gotta start torture some cats, never liked the animal anyways and appearantly it sounds beautiful Tongue

hihi  hihi  hihi

I guess you'll have to torture way too many cats to get TIL results.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »

Or as one reviewer put it: "Like a cat being raped in front of an orchestra" rofl

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: