Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 02:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?  (Read 79949 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »

Good news wasn't The Eagles released close to christmas ?? around Nov or so ? maybe just maybe we could get the album soon.

ps I prefer Best Buy.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »

The Eagles came out in October.  But the eagles album is a double album.  So it's 7 million CDs sold...but only 3.5 million versions of the album.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »

HA I said back in May or June Azoff was gonna push this album into Walmart outlets. It really is NOT a bad idea, cut the middle man out that's the way to go.
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »

Good news wasn't The Eagles released close to christmas ?? around Nov or so ? maybe just maybe we could get the album soon.

ps I prefer Best Buy.

Sweet, we passed the "summer is the best time" and now we wait for another "christmas buying season".  It will come and go, I promise!
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 01:10:38 PM »

It's been known for over a year now that Azoff has a knack for getting things done in the most strategic marketed way that helps the band and entices the consumer. Azoff capitalized and popularized the Walmart sale only strategy that none other than Garth Brooks started back in the mid-ninties. So if we've been closer to seeing this album, this year is no doubt the closest. If Azoff can't get this negotiated and released no one can. 
GeraldFord
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »

(1) What is the point of only selling the album at one store? Seems kinda lame...
(2) There isn't a fucking Wal-mart where I live. So I wait 12 years for this album and then I can't just go down to a local store and buy it? That sucks.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

(1) What is the point of only selling the album at one store? Seems kinda lame...

It's how things are done these days.

It's just a matter of how.

Amazon exclusives, iTunes exclusives etc etc.

(2) There isn't a fucking Wal-mart where I live. So I wait 12 years for this album and then I can't just go down to a local store and buy it? That sucks.

But they have a web site right?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 01:19:19 PM »

You guys are funny - who the hell cares where the album is released as long as its released.  I wasn't aware that Wal-mart was anti-union.  I may actually start shopping there now.  The Unions mentallity is what is destroying the US.

Wake up. . . .time to die
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »

Why is there bitching ? Who gives a shit if its a store exclusive as long as its out?  If theres no Walmart near you, then fucking order it online.  Damnit, theres talk of the album actually being released and people are bitching about where its released  !  Theres no convienent Walmart near me, but fuck it, drive to one.  If the fucking Eagles can sell big at Walmart so can GN'R.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »

I might be mistaken, but doesnt Wal-Mart censor all their CD's? I haven't bought a CD from there in years, but I remember they were all censored at one point?

I know they used to...no explicit lyrics allowed.

I'm not sure they STILL do...if so, that would SUCK.  I can't imagine GnR would go for the ONLY version of their album being the "cleaned up" version.

IF this is true, I gotta think they'll go with Best Buy.

Or, they'll give one of the retail big box stores an exclusivity window...and then roll it out to everyone else a few weeks, or a month, later.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »

Matchbox twenty did a release with Best Buy and they had a wristband flash drive that had the album on it.  I thought that was pretty cool.

Wake up. . . .time to die
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »

The retailer pays the artist a fee for the exclusive.  That would be the point.

And there is always www.walmart.com.   So it's not like it's "ungettable" for ya.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »

There are wal marts near me-that is fine-they are trying to sell an album and wal mart wants to bring people into their stores-that's fine-I think it's odd, but I also think releasing the first single on a $200 video game is odd-but I'm 36 and I guess they are not marketing to me anyomore-that's corporate rock these days-I just want the album released

libertad
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 01:30:33 PM »

The biggest music retailers in the USA are iTunes, Wal-mart and Best Buy.

That's where people who buy music gets it.

According to the latest MusicWatch consumer surveys from The NPD Group, iTunes remains the #1 music retailer in the U.S. in the first half of 2008. The rankings are based on purchases of CDs and a-la-carte digital music downloads. Following iTunes in the top spot are Wal-Mart at #2, Best Buy at #3, Amazon at #4 and Target at #5.

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=827498

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

get this shit moving and going now and i'm all set for happiness for the rest of my life
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

I wonder if they could do an Exclusive with Walmart and include a ton of extras like interviews, live versions of each song, maybe a B side or two and then release a standard CD in other stores?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeraldFord
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »

Don't really want to give Wal Mart my money and I think this is a dumb idea, if true...but whatever...
GeraldFord
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=guns+n+roses&ic=48_0

Look at the GN'R CDs they have...no UYI, just the lame UYI GH, and AFD is edited....

Would Axl really want to release his album via Walmart?
Pine Barrens
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »

Wal-Mart has a "no explicit content" policy in terms of CD's and edit them as they see fit (which is why Trent Reznor refuses to have his music sold at Wal-Mart stores, and kudos to him for that). Of course, the policy makes no sense as they sell unedited DVD's and video games (and even shotguns, go figure). So, to me, that makes it highly unlikely for Chinese Democracy to be a Wal-Mart exclusive. Granted, I haven't heard any "fuck", "shit" or "bitch" usage in the new songs, although the acronym T.W.A.T. would probably not be met with open arms, and neither would the masturbation-line in CD, but still, I'd be surprised if it happened. Now Best Buy I could definitely see it happening with. They always add some cool shit to their exclusives, so that'd be great.

And just to cap off my post with a slight deviation from the topic at hand. though maybe not a surprising one... Fuck Wal-Mart, their policies and their lead painted cheap ass products.  Smiley

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »

So let me get this straight on how all of this works.

What special advantages do u get for releasing it straight to Wal Mart or somewhere? Do they pay any of the recording costs or do anything like that? Help with the promotion? I know GNR and the label probably get a bigger piece of the revenue.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: