Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227924 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?  (Read 80806 times)
AxlNow
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2008, 02:54:55 AM »

I'm most interested in seeing if there is still a market for ANYTHING Guns n Roses. I'm talking about a big enough market where the Band and the record company won't end up being disappointed with Sales. Those guys have been out of the limelight for so long that I'm afraid it has really hurt them.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2008, 03:12:56 AM »

I'm most interested in seeing if there is still a market for ANYTHING Guns n Roses. I'm talking about a big enough market where the Band and the record company won't end up being disappointed with Sales. Those guys have been out of the limelight for so long that I'm afraid it has really hurt them.
they pulled off the 2006 and 2007 tours with a lot of success.   if they can sell tickets to shows, they can also sell albums.  especially if the material is strong, and thus far it is.
GNRFAN20
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2008, 03:13:58 AM »

The 06 and 07 tour got little promotion and look how strong it went
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »

To make a profit, Walmart is the best way to go.

I dont think the label is THAT interested in making a profit off of money they spent over 10 years ago...I think they are more interested in the album doing well, then a tour, then more albums...making the 13 million back off "CD" is probably not what they are thinking about....13 million for a big label like that is nothing....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2008, 03:42:02 AM »

To make a profit, Walmart is the best way to go.

I dont think the label is THAT interested in making a profit off of money they spent over 10 years ago...I think they are more interested in the album doing well, then a tour, then more albums...making the 13 million back off "CD" is probably not what they are thinking about....13 million for a big label like that is nothing....

What?

dude u are seriously delusional if u don't think record labels are in it for profit. They are gonna want their money back. 13 million is a lot of money, especially in this day and age of how bad the record business is going.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jnjdemocracy
Opening Act

Estranged Democracy

« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2008, 05:32:37 AM »

I don't think the sales are going to be a problem.
I remember seeing on here that Greatest Hits sold 4 million??

As we know GH was released with little promotion and to be honest
not GnR's best material, nothing exclusive in terms of packaging.
I think if GH can sell that well than Democracy is going to do better than
that.
I know some people refused to buy GH as not endorsed by the band.

So Democracy sales are going to include the 4 million die hards,
the fans who boycotted GH, plus this will have promotion and reach new fans.

Jn'J
No sleep till Hammersmith 07/06/06
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2008, 06:23:53 AM »

GunsN'Roses are _very_ big abroad. It's a huge market for them in Asia and Europe. We'll see.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Rockdawg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »

It will not be Walmart because they do not sell CD's with parental warning and I am sure C.D. will have one.

Times are hard,
Thrills are cheaper.
Your arms get shorter,
While your pockets get deeper.
AxlNow
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2008, 08:25:34 AM »

It will not be Walmart because they do not sell CD's with parental warning and I am sure C.D. will have one.

I seriously wonder if this will all just be another rumor. Just another time where fans wait years for nothing to happen in the end. I'm not even blaming any one person right now. I'm just looking at history and realizing that with this band SOMETHING always gets fucked up!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »

Pardon my technical ignorance here.  Does anyone here have the equipment (and I'm not sure what kind of equipment that would be other than your own ears of course) to see the differences between different types of files?  The only reason I bring this up is because I still buy cds (only major bands that I really like otherwise I just get it off itunes) because it seems to me the quality is better.  Even those new trakcs on itunes that cost a bit more don't seem to be the same quality as cd.  Am I crazy here???

I'm not too sure about technical details either;

But I would be pretty sure that the quality on a official, mass produced CD would be much more superior to MP3, MP4, M4A and whatever the other common digital music formats are. Music made for digital download would most likely be ripped/copied from a 'physical source', whereas official CDs are made 'from' a physical source/master copy without any compression/digital conversion etc..
I'm gonna one-up troccoli on technical ignorance.

I think the average listener/buyer of music is like me and couldn't tell you if we were listening to something from iTunes or an mp3 or a cd or whatever.  Say GNR sells 5 million copies of CD in different formats.  I think at least 4,500,000 of us are gonna buy it in whatever format is more suitable to our personal buying preference as opposed to which format has the supposedly better technical quality sound.

I wonder how many peoples listen to music on iPods using cheap headphones?  Doesn't that have a significant effect on the quality of the sound?

P.S.  And I hope that the powers-that-be take in to consideration the financial situation of the average buyer when they're putting together the different packages like dual-discs or any extras.  I really hate it when artists put out these over-the-top limited addition things that only a hand full of people can afford to get.  And having a limited number available of any extras sucks even more!!!  They should make everything affordable enough so that EVERYONE who would like to have say a signed photo book would have it available to them.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »

Here's the thing:  We KNOW there is.

Because all you have to do is look at the sales of GH...it's been a GREAT seller in the retail market.  If CD sold 4 million copies, like GH has....I think the brass at the label would need to go clean their undies up.  They'd spontaneously orgasm all over themselves, IMHO, with those numbers.

Now, the ultimately question is "Will the GH sales translate into sales of new material".  I think that's a much less risky question needing an answer, especially considering how "high profile" the album is, and it's quasi-Legendary (like Brian Wilson's "Smile"  or maybe Bigfoot/the Yeti) status.  I think you'd find a good number of retail chains willing to take that risk, all things considered.  The question is: Would the label.  Again, because of the risk THEY'VE taken, already....I think they would.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:39:18 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
appetiteillusion
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »

heres a link to a story from the hits magazine website... long time reader 1st time poster just thought id share

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07212m01
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »

is this spam or what?
appetiteillusion
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »

no not spam--- hits is an industry magazine-  their website is a mix of joke articles and legit music news (i.e. this article)--- while i know that obviously theres no definite word on the release til it comes from the band i did think it was worth sharing
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »

No, I found this:

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi
"Billboard apparently won?t take I.B. Bad?s revelation last week that Guns N? Roses? Chinese Democracy will come out in Q4 as a Best Buy exclusive. A story in today?s Bulletin allows that ?some concrete signs are finally emerging that the album's release could be imminent. That's because, according to sources, negotiations are underway for "Chinese Democracy" to come out as an exclusive at one of the big boxes?either Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Negotiations are also ongoing to have conventional record company distribution, another source says? It's unclear who initiated the Guns N' Roses exclusive negotiations?Front Line or Interscope. Representatives at Front Line and Interscope with knowledge of the situation couldn't be reached for comment by deadline? Best Buy representatives couldn't be reached for comment by deadline."

Not much in the way of news, but at least it's getting attention.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »

i think GNR would benefit from pulling a move like Prince. If they are worried about the commercial success of the album, they should charge a little extra for concert tickets and include the CD. that definitely wouldn't stop any fans from buying tickets and it would boost "sales" greatly by distributing the album to fans who wanna see GNR for the calssics, but wouldn't necessarily buy the new album. its kinda cheating but judging by the success of the recent tours it could be very beneficial. ok

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

Would GN'R have to censor the songs on CD if they go with WalMart? Could they make two versions, one censored and one explicit?

Sorry if this issue has already been discussed...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »

Would GN'R have to censor the songs on CD if they go with WalMart?
Yes, GnR would loose all credibillity and artistic integrity if they went with Wal-Mart...thats how I see it Tongue

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
GNRFAN20
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »

Best Buy is the way to go
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

Really great news. This is the second hint of a release really soon (the other one is obviously the Shackler's track on RB2) and I can't understand why so much complaining. Didn't we all waited all these years for ANY form of release?

No, seriously... If this turns out to be true, it will be fucking awesome. And if it upsets you that much, buy the damn album and download the tracks uncensored on iTunes. You'd still have the hard case, alright?

Also, this is great news too because I just moved to a new apartment and it's in front of a Wal Mart. hihi

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: