Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227923 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?  (Read 80788 times)
spunton
Headliner

Toon Army!!!!

« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »

The internet has not destroyed anything...... music, computer games, films and newspapers will still survive and make money.

We will all go see gigs, films at the pictures and buy newspapers.

Maybe the profits may not be as they once were, but thats only right.

mnsotapop
Rocker

Wake up, its time to dieeeeeee

« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »

The internet has not destroyed anything...... music, computer games, films and newspapers will still survive and make money.

it said "music industry" not music itself.... There is a big distinction.  Newspapers may not be completely destroyed, but I wouldn't be buying any stock in it!!  Grin

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center, Mpls MN 1/92
Metrodome w/ Metallica, Mpls MN 9/92
Fargo Dome, Fargo ND 3/21/93
Target Center, the "Buckethead" tour
Target Center 11/13/11
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »

I used to buy a lot of cd?s before. I liked having the actual cd in my hand and going through the booklet inside to read lyrics and other stuff. I liked looking at band pictures, album art inside the booklet and seeing what information I can get about them that no one had. Now all that has changed with the Internet and downloading and it is a double edge sword for both sides.

I think back to the 80's and 90's and there were so many great albums and so much music coming out. I bought many cd's during that time that are full of great songs for all kinds of bands. Just go back to the 90's and the grunge era for example. How many great bands with great albums came out back then? Bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, STP, Alice in Chains, etc, just to name a few.

How many great albums did these few bands make? Same thing in the 80's with GNR, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, etc. How many great albums did they make? These bands, albums, and music were groundbreaking and I think they were worth the money back then.

However, what is the groundbreaking music of today? Which are the groundbreaking albums of the last few years? Where are the AFD, Ten, Nevermind, And Justice for All, Slippery When Wet, Blood Sugar Sex Magic of this era? What is the last greatest album that you consider a must have that will make you drive to Bestbuy to spend $15 on, (besides CD)? What Nickelback? Disturbed? Fuel? Staind? Three Doors Down? Daughtry? What was the last groundbreaking album of the last few years? I really have trouble coming up with something.

Some bands nowadays have a couple songs that are cool which may be worth downloading, but that is about it. I just do not get excited about spending money on music that is being made these days from new and even older bands. Back in the 80's and 90's radio stations played so many different bands and music. Now they play the same shit from the 70's, 80's and 90's like a greatest hits station. Which is cool for 5 minutes, because I like those songs, but come on these songs are already 10-15-20-even 30 years old already.

MTV was even a great forum for videos to promote the band and the music but we all know that the only shit you can watch on MTV now is the Hills and Real World 57.  I think MTV and the radio industry is also a part of the demise of CD sales.

I would be more inclined to buy cd's if bands would release CD's with DVD concert footage or some other footage like them writing the album, rehearsing, you know something extra that would be cool to have. The last CD I bought was Libertad and that was a while ago. Although it is not a groundbreaking album by any means I do like the fact that they included some DVD footage of a concert in Brazil and some backstage footage. This was pretty cool. I think if more bands did this, people may be more enticed to purchase CD's, except the record companies have waited too long and have aloud people to get accustomed to the whole downloading thing. 

The other poster is right about people just looking to the Internet for stuff that they do not necessarily want to spend money on. That is why GNR must be careful how they go about marketing and selling CD in order to recoup the money poured into the album and making a profit. Although GH did well, it will definitely be an uphill battle. I believe they will not have a problem selling out venues when they tour, but it will be difficult to go multi platinum because of the casual fans who are more inclined to download a song for free off the Internet rather than buying the CD. I think giving a CD at a concert would be smart. Even if it is kind of a sneaky way of boosting your record sales.

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2008, 05:20:57 PM »

I used to buy a lot of cd?s before. I liked having the actual cd in my hand and going through the booklet inside to read lyrics and other stuff. I liked looking at band pictures, album art inside the booklet and seeing what information I can get about them that no one had. Now all that has changed with the Internet and downloading and it is a double edge sword for both sides.

I think back to the 80's and 90's and there were so many great albums and so much music coming out. I bought many cd's during that time that are full of great songs for all kinds of bands. Just go back to the 90's and the grunge era for example. How many great bands with great albums came out back then? Bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, STP, Alice in Chains, etc, just to name a few.

How many great albums did these few bands make? Same thing in the 80's with GNR, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, etc. How many great albums did they make? These bands, albums, and music were groundbreaking and I think they were worth the money back then.

However, what is the groundbreaking music of today? Which are the groundbreaking albums of the last few years? Where are the AFD, Ten, Nevermind, And Justice for All, Slippery When Wet, Blood Sugar Sex Magic of this era? What is the last greatest album that you consider a must have that will make you drive to Bestbuy to spend $15 on, (besides CD)? What Nickelback? Disturbed? Fuel? Staind? Three Doors Down? Daughtry? What was the last groundbreaking album of the last few years? I really have trouble coming up with something.

Some bands nowadays have a couple songs that are cool which may be worth downloading, but that is about it. I just do not get excited about spending money on music that is being made these days from new and even older bands. Back in the 80's and 90's radio stations played so many different bands and music. Now they play the same shit from the 70's, 80's and 90's like a greatest hits station. Which is cool for 5 minutes, because I like those songs, but come on these songs are already 10-15-20-even 30 years old already.

MTV was even a great forum for videos to promote the band and the music but we all know that the only shit you can watch on MTV now is the Hills and Real World 57.  I think MTV and the radio industry is also a part of the demise of CD sales.

I would be more inclined to buy cd's if bands would release CD's with DVD concert footage or some other footage like them writing the album, rehearsing, you know something extra that would be cool to have. The last CD I bought was Libertad and that was a while ago. Although it is not a groundbreaking album by any means I do like the fact that they included some DVD footage of a concert in Brazil and some backstage footage. This was pretty cool. I think if more bands did this, people may be more enticed to purchase CD's, except the record companies have waited too long and have aloud people to get accustomed to the whole downloading thing. 

The other poster is right about people just looking to the Internet for stuff that they do not necessarily want to spend money on. That is why GNR must be careful how they go about marketing and selling CD in order to recoup the money poured into the album and making a profit. Although GH did well, it will definitely be an uphill battle. I believe they will not have a problem selling out venues when they tour, but it will be difficult to go multi platinum because of the casual fans who are more inclined to download a song for free off the Internet rather than buying the CD. I think giving a CD at a concert would be smart. Even if it is kind of a sneaky way of boosting your record sales.

I agree, I used to get really excited going in to buy new albums by all these bands mentioned. The last decent album I bought was MGMT but that wouldn't stand up to the likes of Appetite or Nevermind, its not exactly groundbreaking. I'm very excited about Chinese Democracy, I just hope it lives up to the hype. I'm pretty sure it will but I feel like I've already heard most of it already

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
spunton
Headliner

Toon Army!!!!

« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »

it said "music industry" not music itself.... There is a big distinction.  Newspapers may not be completely destroyed, but I wouldn't be buying any stock in it!!  Grin

Dvds and computer games still sell well on release so do cd's. 'music industry' is the same as 'movie industry' there is no distinction or difference.

Most people will still buy a newspaper to read on the bus or the train..may well have a better base than DVD's or Cd's
mnsotapop
Rocker

« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »

'music industry' is the same as 'movie industry' there is no distinction or difference.

There is no distinction between the two??  I would disagree.  It doesn't matter where you listen to music, but a movie is better in a theater than on a 2 inch screen.  There are other differences as well.....

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center 11/13/11
spunton
Headliner

Toon Army!!!!

« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »

Sorry it doesn't matter where you listen to music or watch a movie. but it does matter what you watch/listen to it on you watch a movie on a 2 inch screen or listen to music on a fm radio both suck......

watch a movie on a 42inch lcd tv or listen to music on a 2 grand music system both rock...
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2008, 03:14:48 AM »

Now lets hear from Bestbuy..lol

Seriously though I get the point, and I can care less where its released, as I will buy it , anyway. 

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
AxlLynch
Opening Act

« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2008, 03:58:23 AM »

And on Foxnews's Redeye program just about 30 minutes ago they mentioned that "AC/DC will be releasing its album exclusively at Walmart and it is starting to look like Guns N' Roses long awaited Chinese Democracy will be exclusively released at Walmart as well."
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2008, 05:58:17 AM »

What a sad state music is in. .......

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
AxlNow
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2008, 06:19:27 AM »

The last great decade for the music industry were the 1990's. It's been downhill ever since thanks to that little box in front of your face.
mnsotapop
Rocker

« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2008, 08:05:16 AM »

The last great decade for the music industry were the 1990's. It's been downhill ever since thanks to that little box in front of your face.

Don't be talking about my wife that way!  hihi

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center 11/13/11
cineater
Legend

« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »

At least you didn't highlight the downhill--lol.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »

I think the major problem is that rock groups are expected to take care of everything. The demands are more now than 15 to 30 years ago. There was once a time when rock bands concerns were writing music and performing. So they had more time to focus on the creative side of their careers. Now they have to promote. Gather a following to play a club. Market their music. And learn the litigations of the music business. So the artist is spreading their selves very thin. So the end result is their music begins to decline as far as cutting edge ground breaking material. Plus record companies are now precautious of who they sign because they have to fall under a 'safe environmental music' category. You recall Dee Synder and the committee who came down on him and Twisted Sister in regards to explicit lyrics (Gore's wife). And who can forget when Ozzy was being railroaded by a certain senator for his interpretation of what Ozzy's music was about. All these events are the reason why rock music is not producing the music we feel is not breaking ground. If you look at the top twenty artists on the Billboard chart I think you'll also find how narrow the music business has become. Yes there are independent artists music out there on the net that you can find that might be ground breaking but I seriously doubt they are going to be allowed to enter the main stream. Maybe one day it could change.........but in the mean time.....I'll have another beer..... beer
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »

I think the major problem is that rock groups are expected to take care of everything. The demands are more now than 15 to 30 years ago. There was once a time when rock bands concerns were writing music and performing. So they had more time to focus on the creative side of their careers. Now they have to promote. Gather a following to play a club. Market their music. And learn the litigations of the music business. So the artist is spreading their selves very thin. So the end result is their music begins to decline as far as cutting edge ground breaking material.
IMO it's the complete opposite.  Having to be "creative" to promote the music is a thing of the past.  Those computer/video games are soooo popular that they'll almost automatically sell themselves and make a gigantic profit for everyone involved.  I'm not saying that that's a bad thing.  It is what it is.  I'm just saying that that's probably more the reason for the decline in actual album promotion and sales. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:16 AM »

Talking about Movies and Music... DVD's sell well, but music does not sell like it used to. It is obvious dowloading is a huge issue, but I think when you buy DVD you probably have already seen the movie,r wanted to see the movie, or someone told you it was good. So you kind of know what you are getting. Like I saw Batman Dark Knight in theatres and I know I want to buy the DVD when it comes out because I liked the movie.

That is why people are ok with spending their money on DVDs. I know there are some websites where you could dowload movies but it is still not like when you download a song, a lot of movies look like shit and take forever to download, and take up a lot of space on your computer. Besides most people like to watch movies on their TV from their couch not on compueter at their desk.

Nowadays the only DVD's that are like $20 bucks are new releases for e few months, but most have come down so much that you can typically buy regular movies for maybe $15, $10 and some for even $5. There are not too many $5 CD's even today.  

With Music you may have heard one or two songs and so when you buy a CD you are taking the risk of whether the other tracks or good or if they suck. How many times have spent $15 bucks on a CD for one good song. It has happened to me before several times especially before you could download music and it would piss me off. That is why people say fuck it and they just download the new Foo Figthers song for free or for $1 on Itunes and just saved $15 bucks.

I think this all could have been avoided if the music industry would have had more vision and tried to remedy these issues by maybe giving music fans more bang for theor buck with additional material with their CD purchase. Instead they chose to litigate the consumers spent millions and fucked up their whole industry. Now they are basically at point where there is no turning back. Bands, especially established bands like GNR will always make their money touring so that will not be an issue, but it is cool to see if they could still sell millions of records after all these years like they used too.

acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »

I agree, I used to get really excited going in to buy new albums by all these bands mentioned. The last decent album I bought was MGMT but that wouldn't stand up to the likes of Appetite or Nevermind, its not exactly groundbreaking. I'm very excited about Chinese Democracy, I just hope it lives up to the hype. I'm pretty sure it will but I feel like I've already heard most of it already

I think this is also a result of us getting older.  It's harder to get into music when we're not hanging out everyday looking for the best new thing.  The internet has done a lot of great things for the industry including opening the doors for a lot of new bands who would never have had a chance through the studio system.  But then with more bands putting out music...there's much more competition and some of the great stuff slides through the cracks.  There's still a ton of geat bands out there making classic ground-breaking material...White Stripes, Radiohead, Tool, Mars Volta, Beck, Bright Eyes, Death Cab.  These are bands that make quite a big fanfare when they have a new album.  

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »

I think this is also a result of us getting older.  It's harder to get into music when we're not hanging out everyday looking for the best new thing.  The internet has done a lot of great things for the industry including opening the doors for a lot of new bands who would never have had a chance through the studio system.  But then with more bands putting out music...there's much more competition and some of the great stuff slides through the cracks.  There's still a ton of geat bands out there making classic ground-breaking material...White Stripes, Radiohead, Tool, Mars Volta, Beck, Bright Eyes, Death Cab.  These are bands that make quite a big fanfare when they have a new album.  

Couldn't agree more.
It's true, at least for McGann...
I don't know what's "cool"....

Splash

\Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2008, 11:29:01 AM »

i just herd on 94.1 wysp in philly radio said.that wal-mart was getting cd.i dunno how sure they are but it's getting closer n' closer '

the one an only horsey !
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #319 on: August 21, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »

Wal Mart ? hmm how come Best Buy never wins out on these exclusive's ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: