Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 06:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227933 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sympathy for the Devil / Escape to Paris?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sympathy for the Devil / Escape to Paris?  (Read 10758 times)
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 01:10:41 PM »

? I was watching Interview With the Vampire last night and this question popped into my mind.? What if Guns had never been approached or declined to record Sympathy for the Devil?? Paul Huge would have never recorded the parts in the song without Slash's approval and possibly more bad blood could have been prevented.? I know that this single event wasn't the ultimate downfall of the band, but many consider it being the straw that broke the camel's back.?
? I'm not one to dwell on the past, but due to recent lack of interesting topics and news, I thought this might be an interesting idea to entertain.? Granted SFTD was recorded in 1994, and Slash's solo cd was released in 1995 with some touring after that.? However, if SFTD was not recorded than maybe the whole Huge/Tobias thing wouldn't have escalated and Slash, Duff and Matt would still be in the band.? Just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 01:17:09 PM by Guns N RockMusic » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 01:13:30 PM »

well i' glad they recorded the song, cause i like it a lot yes

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 01:17:54 PM »

I love the song as well, but this isn't what I was contemplating.  My question was had this not been recorded, do you think the band would have still broken up and why.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 01:29:17 PM »

I think that the group would have ultimately still broke up.   

Throughout the Use Your Illusion tour,  (and even before) there were signs of the breakup.   Instead of hanging out together in the studio, more and more of the business was conducted over the phone... things were falling apart long before the recording of this song. 

It's like Axl said, after they didn't have the poverty (which is what united them) they weren't the friendliest bunch of guys anymore. 

I think that is more to blame than any one song.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 01:43:27 PM »

if and if anf if and blablabla...

There is no "if" for me. the real band broke-up because the success put pressure on them, and because of runaway egos (especially Axl and Slash). The band also broke up because Axl went crazy with his industrial ideas, and Slash wanted to stay too much in the past and didn't want to make GN'R grow musically (wich was necessary, but NOT in the Axl's industrial ideas).

That's it.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »

The magic 8 ball says.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 05:49:07 PM »

Well guys, I just know that, I would rather another album than just another song....  Having slash, duff and matt in the Band with axl and dizzy, even with some other strange guys, well that would be heavenly...

@;---,----.-----,-----------
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 06:41:23 PM »

I'd take GNR's SFTD over anything off TSI and half the tracks off the UYI's. Yea, I said it.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 07:06:10 PM »

i agree i love that song

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 08:37:40 AM »

I think that Sympathy was just the straw that broke the camels back.  There was so much tension in the band that it was just a matter of time before SOMETHING set SOMEONE off.  So...my vote is they would have broken up anyway.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »

ofcourse they still would have split.
Eric
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 02:57:15 PM »

I think whatr Slash means is that the experience of recording this, the process, communication problems, represented everything that was wrong with the band at the time-they still would have broken up. This was the last song recorded, but Slash and Axl did try to work with each other after this.
Dust N Rose
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2005, 03:26:35 PM »

It's not only the sympathy.
Besides, there was a time around 96 I think where the band wrote a few songs (with Izzy's help). It's the hidden era that we know very little about it. Sometimes I read it in this forum from some guys and I know it's not well known, so who gives a damn about the sympathy.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »

New Rose, that is an intriguing time for the band. If Axl comes back, I hope he is asked questions about what went on in 94-96, and how much music came out of those sessions.

deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 09:16:32 PM »

That actually is a pretty good question. This is when the shit hit the fan so to speak. I think they would have still broken up but this may have sped up the break up. Who really knows. I have thought about that before as well. I think when Stradlin left played a bigger factor in the whole thing than people realize. As it has been stated on here before Izzy kinda was the guy who kept everyone on the same page. I think when that was gone the egos couldn't contain themselves. Just my thoughts. I dont think anyone will ever really know the whole truth about what went on in the band from 94-96.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2005, 09:44:23 PM »

I think breaking up is what GNR needed at that point in time. They all needed to dry out, spend their riches, get married, make a solo albums, and get their heads straight again. How it turned into a permanent thing instead of a three year planned break up is beyond me. They were too good to quit so young & I think it kind of killed rock n' roll. GNR never passed the torch like it had been passed to them.
 BTW, I think SFTD is the worst Axl/Slash collaboration I've ever heard. It sucks. Axl's opening owwwwws are pathetic & Slash's solo is uninspired at best, IMO.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2005, 11:45:24 PM »

I like All the original GNR songs even the covers they played, in TSI, but the song SFTD well, that is the song I just can't understand so far... even My world is better for me than that...

@;---,----.-----:------------TPR
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 10:11:29 PM »

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/06047V.html

What the heck is Escape to Paris? All other singles vinyls I see on that sight are by the same artist. Is this just another song from the soundtrack, but not by GNR?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:14:11 PM by user FKA webmoster » Logged
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »

Yes. Escape To Paris is soundtrack music - not GNR. This is a well known fact, but thanks for asking.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 01:28:29 AM »

The song is from the score of Interview With A Vampire.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: