Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227897 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Just curious why a a topic completely relevant to the new band is Dead Horse?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just curious why a a topic completely relevant to the new band is Dead Horse?  (Read 5605 times)
Bono
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:28:03 AM »

Just wondering why this topic was moved to the dead horse section

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=36572.0

Seems pretty odd to me considering it's completely relevant to the new band an the issue of people's perception when it comes ot them. It was discussing real ways the band could overcome this. Simply because the old band is mentioned doesn't make it irrelevant to today's situation. It doesn't make it Dead Horse. it simple means people are aknowledgeing the fact that it's an issue and here are some things that can be done to fix that.? If this isn't relevant to the Gn'R section than what is?? Huh
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:29:30 AM »

My guess is that the moderator in question moved it becuase it's the same old name discussion.

We've heard the problems with keeping the name since 1996 or so.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:09:36 AM »

My guess is that the moderator in question moved it becuase it's the same old name discussion.

Exactly, this has been discussed over and over, and that's the very definition of Dead Horse threads. Marketing suggestions and strategies for the new band have been discussed too, in case you're wondering.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:11:28 PM »

It isn't the same old name discussion at all, though.  That discussion we've had a million times before is about whether or not Axl should have kept the name.  This one is about ways he could improve public perception of them, because it's not good right now (largely because of the name thing).
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:33:24 PM »

It isn't the same old name discussion at all, though.  That discussion we've had a million times before is about whether or not Axl should have kept the name.  This one is about ways he could improve public perception of them, because it's not good right now (largely because of the name thing).

Oh for fucks sake. It was just moved not locked. Stop bitchin.

Fuck 'Em All.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »

This one is about ways he could improve public perception of them, because it's not good right now (largely because of the name thing).

Well, as I said just above, that has been discussed too.

Bono
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 07:19:22 PM »

/jarmo

That's a total copout. That was not what the thread was about at all Jarmo. It was about ways the band could change the publics perception of them not being Guns N' Roses and also a thread to discuss ways people feel the new band should be introduced. It was intended for people to give their input. I see tons of "How should Gn'R promote the album" threads which don't get moved so why this? I know it's becasue it points out that there is a perception in the eyes of the public that this can't be Gn'R without Slash due to the history and the image people have of the old band.  This is ridiculous that this fourm shys away from this type of conversation. Why such denial?  If any of the mods took the time to actually read the thread they'd see that the original post  was not based soley on the issue of the name. In fact that was scarecly mentioned. It was based on things Gn'R could do to spotlight the new members and paint an image of them being Gn'R. Admitedly the name is an issue and it's gonna come up so I don't understand why we need to be affraid of that type of conversation. I could see if peopel were adament that It can't be Gn'R!! It's not Gn'R!! Gn'R is Slash!!! But nothing of the sort was taking place in that thread. Also if you look at the thread there was actual decent conversation going on with no bashing of the band or forum members. It SUCKS that the thread was put in the trash can(basically what Dead Horse is) before anyone really got to read it. I posted it just after midnight my time and by the time I went to work(7:30am) the thread had been moved. Well I guess I should thank you guys for at least leaving it in the main section durring the  middle of the night.  ::)Unreal.  I just find it hard to believe that somthing that was actually encourageing some intelligent conversation with regards to the new band gets moved because soemone points out there's "perception" out there. 

Oh for fucks sake. It was just moved not locked. Stop bitchin.

Aren't you a peach. They might as well lock it. Nobody gives a shit about topics in the Dead Horse section anyways. the same threads remain at the top of the page for days and days and not because of an over abundance of replies. more like a lack of replies and views even.
robinfinckfan
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 07:32:37 PM »

there's a dead horse section Huh  hihi
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »

Aren't you a peach. They might as well lock it. Nobody gives a shit about topics in the Dead Horse section anyways. the same threads remain at the top of the page for days and days and not because of an over abundance of replies. more like a lack of replies and views even.

Then find something better to talk about. You want the topics u started to be stickied too?  Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:59:20 PM »

Exactly, this has been discussed over and over

If that's the standard then you'd better get busy moving all those threads discussing Chinese Democracy into Dead Horse.

You can over-simplify anything and make it sound repetitive. "Another post about the band name."

"Another thread about an Axl rant - dead horse!"

"Another thread about a Chinese Democracy-related subject - dead horse!"

"Another thread about an interview with Axl - dead horse!"

I'm not trying to be a dick but I thought that thread was one of the most intelligent and interesting threads in a long, long time. It was one of the few times people dind't turn it into a pissy fight and argue over whether Axl had the right to the name GN'R - Bono made it clear in his first post in the thread that this wasn't the subject in question, but rather ways Axl could improve his public image, which IMO is more important than figuring out whether Axl's shoe size has shrunken in the past ten years.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »

Honestly.. you guys are expecting special treatment. Who the hell cares if "your" thread got moved to dead horse?

Was it a cool thread? Sure. Has it been discussed plenty of times before? Yeah it has.

So it is by definition a dead horse.

Anyways..  the mods aren't doing it to piss you off. It's just what they're supposed to do.. move dead horse topics to dead horse. And yeah, I've seen it  discussed before a bunch of times...

-jack

And to RR... can't the conversation just continue in Dead Horse? And I really don't think they (the mods) over simplified anything. Just because it was a civilized thread doesn't not make it a dead horse.

gnrevolution.com
Bono
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 08:55:56 PM »

Honestly.. you guys are expecting special treatment. Who the hell cares if "your" thread got moved to dead horse?

Was it a cool thread? Sure. Has it been discussed plenty of times before? Yeah it has.

So it is by definition a dead horse.

Anyways..? the mods aren't doing it to piss you off. It's just what they're supposed to do.. move dead horse topics to dead horse. And yeah, I've seen it? discussed before a bunch of times...

? ?-jack

And to RR... can't the conversation just continue in Dead Horse? And I really don't think they (the mods) over simplified anything. Just because it was a civilized thread doesn't not make it a dead horse.

No. The conversation can't really continue in the Dead Horse section. Here's an example. Right now  ZERO  people are viewing the Dead Horse section in comparison to 141 people viewing the main section. It's hard to have a conversation when nobody's listening. I know it isn't easy being a  mod but honestly look at the topics in the main section right now. I'm not saying mine is better but if topics like "wow it's been 6 years" and "Halifax Sold Out" and "Setlist wishes and speculations" can remain in the main section why not this one. Those threads I mentioned are just examples and there's nothing wrong with them as I've even participated in them but hwo many "sold out" threads are we gonna have.  And as far as I've seen there really hasn't been a  thread discussing possibly ways Axl and the band can paint the new Gn'R image. I just think it's lame that basically the majority of the North American demographic on this board wont view the thread because most people don't look in the dead horse section and it only remained in the main section durring the wee hours of the night and morning.  Anyways....whatever. I guess it's best to keep real discusion out of the main section. back to speculating about which songs Gn'R should add to the setlist. Here I'll help ya out so nobody wastes their time. the general consensus is they should add Civil War and Estranged.  Roll Eyes
Bono
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 09:17:16 PM »

"Axl's Clothes"

"Somthing funny Axl did"

"Breif mention of Axl in RS mag"

"Axl's moves"

Huh See no offenceto anyone who starts those threads.  here but those threads are allowed to stay and other than a few minutes of amusement what do they really add to that section. I like those threads, I participate in those threads but what qualifies them more than a thread pertaining to a real issue. Do we think that if we simply forget about that issue it'll go away? Are we all so delusional that releasing the album cures all?? We can have a topic about Axl's clothes yet it's taboo to start one about his braids?? Threads about the way he dances?  Like what's going on? I'm not trying to be a bitch or a baby but I'm trying to grasp what's? Main section material?? What are the qualifications for somthing to be in there? I mean is somthing funny Axl did for a milisecodn durring a show or the way Axl moves? really more relevent than the public's perception of the band and possible ways to change that.? Dead Horse, Dead Horse Dead Horse. It all is. Why move the stuf though that actualy pushes conversation?

Rant over. Do what you want(you did). I'll move on. Time to think of my next "dead Horse topic"? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:22:51 PM by Bono » Logged
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 09:26:13 PM »

^ Dude seriously.. I understand where your coming from.. not everything on the main board is very important.. but who cares?

And honestly Bono, one of your threads got moved to Dead Horse. Oh my god. Big deal. Happens to everyone at sometime.. your thread had been discussed before, was a dead horse, and really wasn't much to discuss.. other than "Yeah they should do that.  yes"

I'm not saying other threads are better.. just that yours wasn't anything super life changing either. Been done before.

My advice? Realize it wasn't personal, take it in the gut, and hope for better luck next time. Life ain't always fair... and on a fan forum the mods can't please everyone all the time.

-jack

gnrevolution.com
King Sand
Patron Saint of Dust N' Bones
Rocker

... And there was nothing left but a grain of Sand

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:44:03 PM »

Bono, (your thread was excellent by the way) I really think you simply needed a more flashy, punchy, hip title:

For example:

"KA-BOOM: Sex, Drugs, and GNR!  The Sex Six Things GNR MUST Do Before the Meteor (aka Chinese Democracy) Crash Lands To Earth!"

I mean, with a title like that, who could possibly move it to the Dead Horse section  Wink

(I jest, of course)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:46:25 PM by King Sand » Logged

"Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God." - Kurt Vonnegut
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 05:32:38 AM »

I see most people complaining are (relatively) recent members, so they probably don't know what has been discussed and what hasn't. Mods are long-time members, and believe me, when a thread is moved, it usually means the topic has been beaten to death. Don't see anything personal in that. Fact of the matter is that the band's perception by the public and the way they can improve it, ie market themselves, has been discussed a lot of times over the months/years. Therefore, your thread, in spite of being interesting, is dead horse by definition.

I'm not saying all the threads in the main section are interesting. Some are slightly annoying. But it doesn't necessarily mean that they qualify for dead horsing or locking. And you'd probably be surprised at the number of silly threads of the "Axl's shoes" type that get deleted before most people even have the opportunity to see them.

And Russian Roulette, your comparisons are crap. Threads about a new Axl rant, a new Chinese democracy-related topic or a new Axl interview wouldn't be dead horsed, because it would be news and therefore wouldn't have been already discussed. Don't try to mix everything up.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 07:27:59 PM »

just to chime in, I thought it was a good thread and you guys are right - one of the few threads recently where some good discussion got going

it may have been discussed somewhat before, but in the context of the pending tour and semi official confirmation of the album release, it takes on a new and unchartered relevance

Just because points were raised regarding Slash and the name (which incidentally are completely relevant to marketing/promotion of CD), it didnt deserve to be thrown to Dead Horse which is basically a 'catch all' it would seem for any post that doesnt read like a GNR press release

a shame....

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 12:18:51 AM »

And Russian Roulette, your comparisons are crap. Threads about a new Axl rant, a new Chinese democracy-related topic or a new Axl interview wouldn't be dead horsed, because it would be news and therefore wouldn't have been already discussed.

Exactly, I guess you didn't understand that was the precise point I was making.

I said you can over-simplify anything and that's the example I was making - saying "It's just another thread about Axl and the GN'R name etc." is the same as over-simplifying a relevant discussion about a new Axl rant.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 05:59:02 AM »

I said you can over-simplify anything and that's the example I was making - saying "It's just another thread about Axl and the GN'R name etc." is the same as over-simplifying a relevant discussion about a new Axl rant.

I absolutely disagree. YOU are oversimplifying stuff. A new Axl rant is news, a discussion about the name or marketing strategies is not, and that's all there is to it. The two cannot even be compared. You're making it sound like we use a simple reasoning that applies to all kinds of topics, which we don't. A thread about something NEW will never *ever* be thrown into Dead Horse, so I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand.

HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 06:05:29 AM »

I absolutely disagree. YOU are oversimplifying stuff. A new Axl rant is news, a discussion about the name or marketing strategies is not, and that's all there is to it. The two cannot even be compared. You're making it sound like we use a simple reasoning that applies to all kinds of topics, which we don't. A thread about something NEW will never *ever* be thrown into Dead Horse, so I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand.

I respectfully disagree.  yes

A new Axl rant is news, a discussion about the name or marketing strategies is not,

A discussion about marketing strategies involving topics and recent news that hadn't been included in the past IMO makes it fresh, just because people have discussed band marketing before does not mean all band marketing topics are automatically "already discussed"; that was why I said it's akin to erroneously branding all Axl rant topics as Dead Horse. New elements in his rants; new elements in marketing. Bono included recent events that hadn't been discussed before in context.

Just IMO.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 06:11:47 AM »

And now a thread that talks about how the current tour isn't selling well is moved to Dead Horse, too. Roll Eyes  I know that one hasn't been discussed many times before... the tickets have been on sale for less than a week.
Admit it... any thread that suggests the band may have trouble is moved to Purgatory.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 08:41:22 AM »

About that thread, I don't know who moved it.

I also think it is a pretty relevant topic, and wouldn't have moved it (didn't read it through though, but the topic itself). Let's see if the person who moved it gives you a reason.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »

Believe me, it's been discussed and the "solution" is always "release the album".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 10:12:24 AM »

yeah, that sounds familiar...

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: