Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 02:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Out of Patience, Give Us Chinese Democracy! Antimusic.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Out of Patience, Give Us Chinese Democracy! Antimusic.com  (Read 76251 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »

Actually it makes perfect sense since the initial response by non fanatics like us is going to be cool GNR is back! With out knowing that this is a different Gun N Roses. It will make believers out of those who don't know.

So, you see a new cd that says Guns N' Roses and you only think "oh cool, GN'R is back" when you open the box to see an AFD poster or DVD of a show from 1988?

That stuff belongs with Greatest Hits.

/jarmo

completely agree.  besides I'd rather see a show from the 06-07 tour  Smiley
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »

The most interesting idea is doing some type of event in which Axl could present the album to the world in the way that he sees fit via an interview by a trusted friend (e.g. Del).  Of course we won't get all the questions answered but it if it makes Axl comfortable, then that is the right method.  With an exclusive concert this could be a real money maker.  I sure hope when the restructuring at Universal/Geffen settles down that they put some very serious effort into working things out with Axl. 

Any way we can persuade the record company to move things along...petitition or the like?

He should announce it on MTV. Even though I hate it, plenty of people watch it and make a deal where in every major retailer's advertisement(walmart, target, best buy) they announce they have the new Guns CD.
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »

This is the first article I have seen that offered some suggestions instead of just bitching! I salute this author. He rocks. And actually I think all his ideas are very good and hope Universal listens. As for the vintage stuff - it could just be old merch with no pics of anyone or an old t-shirt or something that doesn't allude to the old members. I don't think it's a bad idea but I guess if you look at it from the standpoint of the younger crowd< I suppose they wouldn't be too interested in previous band members. I just think they could include vintage and keep it generic so as to not allude to the previous members.

Thanks so much for posting that! It was a breath of fresh air!

Puking doesn't make me horny.
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Interesting ideas.

One problem though, he suggests adding some vintage merchandise.

Why would they include anything having to do with the old band? It makes no sense....

/jarmo

Now I would love to have some "vintage" mechandise with it, FOR SURE!
But in reality, it would be disrespectful to the new members. That's not how you promote a "New GN'R" with things concerning the old band. It would be counter productive.... but wait, this is GN'R we're talking about.  hmmm, whatever is has with it, I'll buy it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:33:18 PM by CaughtMeInaComa » Logged
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

heavy, persistent viral marketing starts now!  ok

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »

Hell, an old show, and maybe some reproduction merchandise seem like a great ideal to me for a box set. It could reawaken a lot of GnR fans from days gone by.

This is GnR, whereas, a few members have come and gone, the music is consistent; the legacy continues. It isn't disrespectful to anyone, applying that logic, it would also be disrespectful to listen to anything other than leaks or live boots.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »

It's a great article. I have to agree with the author regarding including vintage material. I think a LOT of people would
be interested in having vintage merchandise from the old band. I think you can sort of make it a bridge for the new
GNR. I think it would appease the various fanbases such as "classic GNR fans like myself",  new GNR fans, and casual fans.
It would have to be marketed though in such a way that the you bridge the various chapters of GNR.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:38 PM »

It's a great article. I have to agree with the author regarding including vintage material. I think a LOT of people would
be interested in having vintage merchandise from the old band. I think you can sort of make it a bridge for the new
GNR. I think it would appease the various fanbases such as "classic GNR fans like myself",  new GNR fans, and casual fans.
It would have to be marketed though in such a way that the you bridge the various chapters of GNR.

I still don't get it.  Huh

So you see a box in the store that says GUNS N' ROSES CHINESE DEMOCRACY and you think "oh, GN'R is back. No, I don't want it".

But then you read on the back that it "includes a exclusive Appetite For Destruction poster" and you'd be ready to buy the box?

I've got some of these special edition albums and I don't think any of them ave anything old in them.

U2 put out a special edition of the Joshua Tree and it had a DVD from the JT tour. Makes sense.

Now if they had put that DVD in the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, it wouldn't have made sense.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »

I think the vintage merchandise should be something for when every the put out remastered Cd of the back catalog.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Tatiana Kudrin
Soak The Sin
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 10:23:50 PM »

Dude, if I wanted 'vintage merchandise from the old band', I'd check on ebay.
I agree with Jim Bob and Jarmo: they've already released old stuff- Welcome to the videos and Greatest Hits... They've already kinda buried the past with those releases and now we need something fresh. It would make more sense if they put out an exclusive live DVD from 2006 or 2007 along with Chinese Democracy.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »

If there's a box set there shouldn't be anything to do with the old band.  This should be all about the current lineup, guys like Dizzy, Robin, Tommy, and Richard have poured years of hard work into this, it should be about them, not people who quit the band 10+ years ago

Other than that, I like this guy's ideas.  They need to get the music to as wide of an audience as humanly possible while still making money
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »

If there's a box set there shouldn't be anything to do with the old band.

That is kind of antithetical to what a box set is. Who releases a box that doesn't contain old stuff?

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 11:52:41 PM »

That is kind of antithetical to what a box set is. Who releases a box that doesn't contain old stuff?

I don't think people are talking box set like all the albums.  More like what Radiohead did, which was the album on vinyl and on CD with fancy lyric and artwork books.  Basically a deluxe version of the album for hardcore fans
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 12:04:26 AM »

Read what Jarmo said in another thread on here,

Since when is Gnr like any other band?

I think Axl and the rest of the band are set on creating an image for themselves,
will they live up to the old line up?
Dont know, dont care, thats in the past,

in the present they should be just focusing on chinese democracy etc,
I mean, its like  having a dvd in the boxset from leeds in 02/rio whatever,
it has buckethead in it, but Would that be a smart thing to do, having a disc with a former gnr member?
Hes solos were better then any other former /present member, esp nightrain/kohd, but would it be a smart move?
No, its like saying a huge fuck you to ron richard and robin,

Fuck the old, on with the new, its the only way that gnr can make a fresh clean start when they release chinese democracy.
Axl wont want any old members tied in with a project he has , for the most part, been working soley on , he wont want slash or any members  to be mistaken for being on chinese democracy, and having vintage dvds/music in a boxset will confuse the general public...

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

Interesting ideas.

Why would they include anything having to do with the old band? It makes no sense....

/jarmo

Because Jarmo

According to Axl, Guns N Roses is an evolving band of revolving door members.

So Guns N Roses by that logic can't really be seperated into new,old etc etc.

By Acknowledging there is an old band, U are kind of saying the new band isn't Guns N Roses because even though Slash etc arent in the band anymore, that is still apart of GNR's legacy which is why they still sale AFD shirts and throws,clocks and everything else in the world on GNR's store. Its why they play AFD live and old songs. Because GNR is suppose to be one continous band and not necessarily a brand new band.

U put some older live stuff in there for people who are just making the transition from old to new and it gives them something they want and will introduce them to the new band.

The boxset was my idea and fuckers ripped my idea and said it sucked. but oh well, it doesn't suck and this guy has great ideas.

Axl should hire him.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:19:15 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 12:28:31 AM »

IF it was the new band's version of AFD, it would make sense. But its too obvious its two different bands with the same name, there's no need to remind people like the die-hard fans (who would buy this box) that. We all know well. And, obviously, the name Guns N' Roses itself connect to the past.

But there's a lot of cool ideas there. The pay per view show to be included as a dvd in the normal CD would be KILLER! Only the new songs performed live... That I would for sure pay to have it aside from the box package. Cheesy

axl in lafayette
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 12:48:54 AM »

Interesting ideas.

/jarmo

calling the band Guns N Roses makes no sense either...
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 01:03:10 AM »

Interesting ideas.

/jarmo

Because Jarmo

By Acknowledging there is an old band, U are kind of saying the new band isn't Guns N Roses because even though Slash etc arent in the band anymore, that is still apart of GNR's legacy which is why they still sale AFD shirts and throws,clocks and everything else in the world on GNR's store. Its why they play AFD live and old songs. Because GNR is suppose to be one continous band and not necessarily a brand new band.

U put some older live stuff in there for people who are just making the transition from old to new and it gives them something they want and will introduce them to the new band.

The boxset was my idea and fuckers ripped my idea and said it sucked. but oh well, it doesn't suck and this guy has great ideas.

Axl should hire him.

Could not have said it better; It is disrepectful of GnR(inclusive) to dismiss the works of previous members. If one wishes to dismiss the previous stuff, ...

well, I'll leave it at that.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 01:10:04 AM »

Interesting ideas.

/jarmo

Because Jarmo

Axl should hire him.

Could not have said it better; It is disrepectful of GnR(inclusive) to dismiss the works of previous members. If one wishes to dismiss the previous stuff, ...

well, I'll leave it at that.

It's not about dismissing their work.  It's about the fact that they had nothing to do with Chinese Democracy.  The attention should be on the people who made the album that's being released.  There have been countless bands that have released albums with different members, I can't think of one that released a new album that celebrated the former members which in effect takes attention away from the people who actually made the album.  It's disrespectful to Robin, Dizzy, Tommy, and Fortus, people who have poured years of work into this album, for the sake of selling more records by celebrating people who have NOTHING to do with the songs on the new album
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 01:12:16 AM »

I thought we were "talking" about a box set; not CD.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: