Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:36:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  March 12th, West Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues (UpDates).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 12th, West Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues (UpDates).  (Read 79341 times)
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2012, 01:44:57 AM »

Shows how hypocritical u Robin fans are

U guys used to go nuts when Slash fans would slam Robin and want Slash back and here u guys are doing the exact same thing to DJ who has stepped in and done an amazing job.

I've never gone off on any Slash fans. I can respect anyone's point of view. Something some people here seem to struggle with.

And as far as I can see, no one is slamming DJ here at all.
You don't see people bashing DJ, because AFTER they bash him they say "no offense to DJ".  That doesn't erase what they say.  Again, there is no problem with preferring Robin.  But people are going out of their way to point out DJ's flaws, when it doesn't seem all that necessary.  Honestly I thought people were sensitive when it came to Slash, but this whole Robin thing is on another level, which astonishes me.

It's quite simple really...

If people thought Robin messed up SCOM, NR or PC..... they are wrong as that's the way he played the songs for the whole duration he was in Guns. Sure there were the odd note here or there, in which he was jumping around too much or getting right in the action. But with DJ, you just have that feeling that he's under pressure to get the solo right, and you can often see this in his persona.

Another example of my view, is how some solo's that were previously handled by Robin have not been passed onto DJ, but Ron or Richard. Why can't DJ handle all of the SCOM solo?, and before anyone tries to get smart I'm sure everybody remembers that video of GN'R's tech showing us the rehersal audio from 2009. And let's just say that the part of the SCOM solo which DJ attempted in rehersal, which has been passed to Ron live, sounded horrible and was unlistenable..... so I wonder why Ron had to take up the whah part of the solo?.  Tongue

I also dislike DJ's tone, I think it sounds very weak as if all of the contour has been lowered to like 1 or 2..... again just my opinion, no need to jump on me.  Cheesy

As a guitarist as well, it sounds to me as if DJ uses very flexible picks. I don't know if it's just me, but his notes have a feel to them as if the plectrum is bending alot and causing DJ to plam mute notes uneccecarily.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:47:51 AM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2012, 01:54:46 AM »

U guys used to go nuts when Slash fans would slam Robin and want Slash back and here u guys are doing the exact same thing to DJ who has stepped in and done an amazing job.

I've never gone off on any Slash fans. I can respect anyone's point of view. Something some people here seem to struggle with.

You don't see people bashing DJ, because AFTER they bash him they say "no offense to DJ".  That doesn't erase what they say.  Again, there is no problem with preferring Robin.  But people are going out of their way to point out DJ's flaws, when it doesn't seem all that necessary.  Honestly I thought people were sensitive when it came to Slash, but this whole Robin thing is on another level, which astonishes me.

If people thought Robin messed up SCOM, NR or PC..... they are wrong as that's the way he played the songs for the whole duration he was in Guns. Sure there were the odd note here or there, in which he was jumping around too much or getting right in the action. But with DJ, you just have that feeling that he's under pressure to get the solo right, and you can often see this in his persona.

Another example of my view, is how some solo's that were previously handled by Robin have not been passed onto DJ, but Ron or Richard. Why can't DJ handle all of the SCOM solo?, and before anyone tries to get smart I'm sure everybody remembers that video of GN'R's tech showing us the rehersal audio from 2009. And let's just say that the part of the SCOM solo which DJ attempted in rehersal, which has been passed to Ron live, sounded horrible and was unlistenable..... so I wonder why Ron had to take up the whah part of the solo?.  Tongue

I also dislike DJ's tone, I think it sounds very weak as if all of the contour has been lowered to like 1 or 2..... again just my opinion, no need to jump on me.  Cheesy

As a guitarist as well, it sounds to me as if DJ uses very flexible picks. I don't know if it's just me, but his notes have a feel to them as if the plectrum is bending alot and causing DJ to plam mute notes uneccecarily.
Really dude, you have to ease up.  You said it yourself right there.  You're ASSUMING DJ is trying to play the solos note for note and therefore "messing up".  You are also assuming whenever Robin messed up it was intentional.  There is no exact science to proving any of that, so there's really no debate needed.  You prefer Robin, fine.  But it just seems like you, and others, are just trying to make up for all the "Slash fans" who tore Robin to pieces for not doing his solos justice.  You didn't like that one bit, and now you're doing the same exact thing.  It's solving nothing.  If it makes you happy though, god bless.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
fTw777
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »

I think the point alot of people are trying to make is you can let it be known that you like Robin without having to go into why you don't like DJ and even if you're not trying to start an argument honestly doing things like pointing out all these flaws and and going into things about DJ that you don't like while praising Robin will always result in fans of DJ firing back and a Robin Vs. DJ argument starting.
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2012, 02:00:26 AM »

I think that originality plays a huge part in this argument as well. As someone pointed out earlier, Robin made mistakes just as well as DJ. But the difference is that 90% of Robins so called mistakes was his actual playing style, and improvisal nature.....and that's what made him original. Seeing someone like DJ make mistakes on solo after solo, even though you know he is trying to play it the "right" way, is embarrasing.

Robin is original, and from what I've seen from DJ so far, he is not so original.....

And again I must clarify, I'm not bashing DJ.....just my opinion from what I have seen from both players.
Please.  This here is MY biggest problem with this whole ridiculous back and forth.  In YOUR OPINION DJ makes mistakes, yet when Robin makes mistakes they are "intentional".  Excuse me, but HOW in the hell would you know that exactly?  How in the hell do you know what Robin and or DJ intends for each and every solo to sound like?

That's my problem.  To you "Robin fans" any "mistake" Robin makes is intentional, yet DJ is some buffoon who just doesn't know the material well enough to play it right.  I'm sorry, but I have a problem with that.  And THAT is why this discussion continues.  Say you prefer one or the other, fine.  But let's stop with the bullshit.  I know Robin has been bashed a bit in the past, so maybe you're just looking for some revenge, but seriously, it's unnecessary.

At least how I see it.

I think everyone knows that every guitar player makes mistakes. No one has called DJ a buffoon. You're putting words in people's mouths. All in all you just come off as very immature when you talk about "revenge" and group every "Robin fan" together. If people like certain things about one player, and don't like certain things about another I don't see why you feel the need to get upset over it.

I have yet to see anyone disrepect DJ here.

my feeling is this:

DJ seems like a dude who was blasting AFD,Lies and UYI's when they came out.. he seems like a guy who would go see GNR back in the old days.. He respects the music, what the guys were able to accomplish and he is the perfect bridge from that to now.

Robin seems like a dude who joined a band he prob wasn't a fan of and that is why he had no awareness of just how special Slash's solos etc are to the fans.. so when he'd put his own spin aka butcher them.. he disrespected the hardcore fanbase as well as the music.

like painting a mustache or glasses on the Mona Lisa... its perfect. don't fuck with it.

Robin is more nu metalish whereas DJ has the same GnR musical roots.

Well some people like that aspect of Robin. Personally GNR to me, has been a band that evolved to something entirely different with the 02 lineup. And I feel like DJ sort of devolves it. But it's all down to preference at the end of the day.

For me, I'd rather have a player who is original and creative like Robin, over someone like DJ who TO ME just kind of seems like a pretty generic sounding player. Idk, for me Robin was more exitcing. There is no right or wrong here. It's all just opinion.

Another example of my view, is how some solo's that were previously handled by Robin have not been passed onto DJ, but Ron or Richard. Why can't DJ handle all of the SCOM solo?, and before anyone tries to get smart I'm sure everybody remembers that video of GN'R's tech showing us the rehersal audio from 2009. And let's just say that the part of the SCOM solo which DJ attempted in rehersal, which has been passed to Ron live, sounded horrible and was unlistenable..... so I wonder why Ron had to take up the whah part of the solo?.  Tongue

I also dislike DJ's tone, I think it sounds very weak as if all of the contour has been lowered to like 1 or 2..... again just my opinion, no need to jump on me.  Cheesy

I 100% agree with this post.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:03:02 AM by CIAT » Logged

Broski
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:11 AM »

CIAT, give me a break.  Go ahead and call me immature, very big of you.  You're missing the point. 

YOU don't see people disrespecting DJ because YOU agree with anything negative about DJ that's being posted.  The disrespect is all over if you open your eyes and read it with an open mind. 

You try that, then get back to me.

I'm upset because this "discussion" jumped the shark about 10 pages ago and is completely ridiculous.  Yet you, and others, refuse to let it die.  I fault myself for getting involved in this at all.  I steered clear for as long as I could.  It's not worth fighting anymore.  You win.  Have fun with that.

It's one thing to debate, but no DJ fan was "starting anything" here.  Quite the contrary.  Seriously, if you read between the lines, it's not hard to see.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »

Sorry, I haven't seen any disrespect towards DJ here. If not praising someone and loving everything they do is considered "disprespect" idk what to tell you. Perhaps we have different definitions of disrespect.

I've posted on a lot of forums and I've never seen people get so uppity over such a simple matter of preference. People are just stating who they prefer and why. I'm really not seeing what you're seeing. Not because I agree with the things said about DJ. Infact, it seems to be the opposite. Many people here have questioned Robin's personality and loyality - much more "disrespectful" then saying you're not a fan of someones playing if you ask me. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Broski
fTw777
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2012, 02:33:27 AM »

the best thing to do at this point is just give up on this subject and move on it's essentially the same points being made over and over.
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2012, 04:45:45 AM »

Axl was on fire on the My Michelle vid

Broski
Annie
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »

Axl was on fire on the My Michelle vid
So true! It was an epic performance and Axl was wearing his awesome Kronk Bones Bunny shirt!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:28 AM »

Sooooooooooooooooo gr8 to see Robin on stage again!!

Its just not the same without him...his presence is unreal!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »

Broski
uzi suicide records
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »

dj, robin, slash....none are using the same effects or pedals, some have lower sounds some higher, were talking about 3 diverse musicians, slash being my favorite and obviously the best of the 3 uses the better effects, for instance at the factory dj was using a cry baby wah, i was in the front row and saw it, he also has it on auto and does not manually use the pedal, slash uses a jimi hendrix wah and manually bust out the tones, personally in my book slash will always win but its a matter of preference, if you dislike ashba's tone its because he's dj ashba not slash  not robin, each of those guitar players are diff and bring something different, personally i dont like rons sound at all for this group, i think guns n roses havent been this good until the fortus and ashba combo wich is why they after all this time as the axl rose solo band are getting the respect they deserve, axl has figured out the puzzle he just needed the correct pieces, i dont think ron or robin fit honestly in my opinion wich we all have our preferences, but id go out and support ron in a solo act or anotherr band anyday, i think he's a talent, and a wonderful person, just ive been a gnr fan 24 yrs give or take, and i grew up with gnr its a part of me, my whole life, i didnt really dig axl and the anybody's, i hated buckethead for gnr, and ron takes away from the gnr hype and excitement as well, though i dont really mind ron i just consider him the 3rd player and could do without him, robin eh i could deal with but not replacing ashba or fortus thats the sound of this current gnr axl ashba stinson fortus....as far as im concerned frank and ron could die and it would not change gnr, replacing ashba would be almost as stupid as replacing slash, hes a keeper and a funny motherfucker i was breakin his balls in philly after the show and he just seemed real down to earth but all of that bs aside cause it doesnt matter if we like them its about performance and i def would love a reunion but what axl has going he wont sell out stadiums but he's got the right pieces, thats why chinese sorta sux and did so bad in the market, now if they do a record im sure we could be proud of it, they finally are moving as 1 and not the axl show.....thanks guys
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »

I love this picture, Richards face says it all really.  Grin

Sooooooooooooooooo gr8 to see Robin on stage again!!

Its just not the same without him...his presence is unreal!!

Totally agree...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #333 on: March 18, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »

Okay, we get it.  You really like Robin.

I think the point has been made. ok
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #334 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »

Okay, we get it.  You really like Robin.

I think the point has been made. ok

Since this was the last show of the tour, discussion is going to go on about this show for longer than usual. If another show was a few days after it, I'm sure this thread wouldn't have been as active during the last few days than it has been.

Robin and Brain appeared at this show as special guests, which is a big deal for some fans, including myself. This means that people may still talk about Robins appearence at this show, as it has been the strongest subject of debate amongst users.

So rather than being smart and posting the comment that you did, why not just lock the thread if you have such a problem with the pro-Robin discussion?.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:25:55 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #335 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »

So rather than being smart and posting the comment that you did, why not just lock the thread if you have such a problem with the pro-Robin discussion?.  Tongue

Since you obviously have some kind of comprehension problems.  Tongue

I'll spell it out for you in plain English:

Pro Robin: Not a problem!
Disrespecting current band members: Problem.
Your man crush on Robin: Not a problem.
Preferring Robin to anybody else on the planet: Not a problem.
Assuming things only to make current band member(s) look bad: Problem

Thank you. Try again next time Robin plays with GN'R.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: