Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 08:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)  (Read 75990 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »

'Street Of Dreams', 'if The World' 'There Was A Time', 'Cather In The Rye', 'I.R.S.', for instance.  These would not be totally out of place on the UYI albums.

But tunes like 'Shacker's Revenge', 'Scraped', 'Rhiad & The Bedouins', 'Prostitute'...a bridge too far for some.

Now compare UYI to AFD. You could say a similar thing.... Typical GN'R in other words.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »

For the record, I'm a big fan of Chinese, but I can see where some fans are coming from. Chinese was quite different from previous GNR music in some aspects, even though I think it's still recognizable as GNR.

Some tunes, sure.

'Street Of Dreams', 'if The World' 'There Was A Time', 'Cather In The Rye', 'I.R.S.', for instance.  These would not be totally out of place on the UYI albums.

But tunes like 'Shacker's Revenge', 'Scraped', 'Rhiad & The Bedouins', 'Prostitute'...a bridge too far for some.

Are you talking about the songs as a whole or just parts of them? If I listen to the verses of the last four songs you mentioned, it's pretty straight forward rock music albeit there's some more electronic elements. The guitars are very much front and center. I agree there's a total different guitar sound if that's what you were thinking.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »

Now compare UYI to AFD. You could say a similar thing.... Typical GN'R in other words.

Much starker contrast.  Be serious.

You can't help but go down that road, can you?  The "same as it ever was" insistence.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »

For the record, I'm a big fan of Chinese, but I can see where some fans are coming from. Chinese was quite different from previous GNR music in some aspects, even though I think it's still recognizable as GNR.

Some tunes, sure.

Are you talking about the songs as a whole or just parts of them? If I listen to the verses of the last four songs you mentioned, it's pretty straight forward rock music albeit there's some more electronic elements. The guitars are very much front and center. I agree there's a total different guitar sound if that's what you were thinking.

I think the best way to put it is that I could see Slash on any tune in the first batch.

That second batch, he's going to have no interest in any of that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »

these more modern tracks, except TWAT and TIL, are my fav on the LP. I still don't understand why Shackler wasn't the first single.

so I hope the same evolution for the next LP. I want to be surprised, as always with Axl's work.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »

Much starker contrast.  Be serious.

You can't help but go down that road, can you?  The "same as it ever was" insistence.

Because to me all albums are a natural evolving thing from the past album.

I think the best way to put it is that I could see Slash on any tune in the first batch.

Unless the Black Eyed Peas were somehow involved.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »

these more modern tracks, except TWAT and TIL, are my fav on the LP. I still don't understand why Shackler wasn't the first single.

so I hope the same evolution for the next LP. I want to be surprised, as always with Axl's work.

I think 'Shacker's Revenge' is way catchy.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »

I think 'Shacker's Revenge' is way catchy.

Sure and if anybody saw the song performed live, they know it as well.

But then again, some of those people who don't like it never went, because "it's not GN'R"...  hihi

/jarmo

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »

Some tunes, sure.

Is it the quality of the song itself? If so, that's fair.

As for if Slash would have worked on the material. I think he would have, there's a lot of ways to approach a song. Here's a couple of stripped down versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=walgedu-DZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN7reZTaA1o

Personally I think Prostitute is a damn good song. Listening to the first link, I think that GNR should have gone for a stripped down version, it would have been their best acoustic song ever.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »

All the fans who keep posting that GN'R needs to release something new, I wonder if they didn't enjoy Chinese all that much, how they'll enjoy something that sounds somewhat similar. The same kind of departure from the classic rock sound that Chinese Democracy is....

I don't get that vibe at all.

The only people interested in a further release obviously liked the last one.  If you hated CD, I don't see how you'd give a damn if they ever released anything else.
Not necessarily true.  I've heard people say that they "hated" CD but still hold out hope that the next album could be something that appeals to them because they've obviously loved Axl's work in the past. 

I get the hope, but I doubt it'll be fulfilled.  I'm also not sure how genuine that hope really is.  It's tough to like something when you go into it with a negative attitude, and that's how they seem to be approaching it to me.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »

Thanks for the links Spirit! That's some good shit! Love his arrangements, I would kill to hear a stripped down version of CD like that. Or any alternate version of CD for that matter.

Thanks for posting the interview Jarmo! This is some great news. I'm glad that they aren't shelving the older Chinese songs in favor of releasing some more recent material sooner. This is mostly because I am a huge fan of the Chinese era, and I'm sure the new stuff will have it's time at some point too. It's great that there's so much material for them to choose from.

I'm super stoked about the next album. Major ants in my pants. Kind of makes me feel restless and impatient. I wonder what the album title is going to be? If it's called something other than CD2 it will be neat to hear the title for the first time. This is exciting... new songs, lyrics, song titles, album artwork, all completely unknown. With CD you could hear some of the stuff live (not to mention leaks) before you heard the album and you already knew what the title was gonna be but it looks like it may be different this time around.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:40:21 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »

Then... Material Remastered From Era:

FINCK / BRAIN / BUCKETHEAD

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »

Some tunes, sure.

Is it the quality of the song itself? If so, that's fair.

As for if Slash would have worked on the material. I think he would have, there's a lot of ways to approach a song. Here's a couple of stripped down versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=walgedu-DZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN7reZTaA1o

Personally I think Prostitute is a damn good song. Listening to the first link, I think that GNR should have gone for a stripped down version, it would have been their best acoustic song ever.

Maybe In ChinDem Remixes

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »

Amen to that HBK!

edit: I thought you were responding to my post. But even though you weren't, Amen to the prospect of a CD remix.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »

For me, "Prostitute" has a modern day "Rocket Queen" sound to it, which I like. The tunes that I like the most are:  "I.R.S." "CD", "Street of Dreams", "If the World", "Madagascar",  "Better", and "There was a Time". I think "TIL" sounds better live since it doesn't have that Weber feel to it. 
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

Btw, what is this loudness war that was talked about? Is it regarding the recording of CD?
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »

I agree Draguns, Prostitute resembles Rocket Queen in at least one way that I can think of. The last lyrics of Rocket Queen were like a peaceful epilogue to all of the madness on Appetite. Much like the closing portion of Prostitute.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »

Btw, what is this loudness war that was talked about? Is it regarding the recording of CD?

Albums mastered to be louder and losing nuances in the process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

CD was mastered properly.
To sound good, not sound loud.

/jarmo

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »

Thanks Jarmo. I remember that there was an issue with the way Metallica's "Death Magnetic" was recorded. I didn't know about this term, though.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »

The loudness wars were a huge issue in 2008.

Heres an article written by Bob Ludwig about the Loudness wars and Chinese Democracy.
http://www.gatewaymastering.com/gateway_LoudnessWars.asp

I've mentioned it once, but I'll say it again, that to me Chinese Democracy was the next evolution of GNR from the Illusion Albums.

I am looking very forward to owning and listening to more songs along the lines of Chidem. Especially "darker and meaner".   love

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: