Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 09:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  ARTICLE: My thoughts on the future of Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ARTICLE: My thoughts on the future of Guns N' Roses  (Read 64792 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »

You are too eager to leap to this band's defense. I was merely pointing out that the show I was out was not sold out. Simple fact.

That article is riddled with so many errors by the way that it can be dismissed completely.

You are too eager to find reasons to whine! Cheesy

Did you ever think the writer was speaking in more general terms or maybe the show(s) he went to looked sold out to him? No?
Free thinking!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »

You are too eager to leap to this band's defense. I was merely pointing out that the show I was out was not sold out. Simple fact.

That article is riddled with so many errors by the way that it can be dismissed completely.

Did you ever think the writer was speaking in more general terms or maybe the show(s) he went to looked sold out to him? No?
Free thinking!

/jarmo

Oh my god, Jarmo, calm down! Your band are not under threat! I was merely replying to an inquiry by Bacon. I mean I even said that my show was ''80-90% sold'' which is a fairly good return by most people's estimates. You are fanatical!
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »

Oh my god, Jarmo, calm down! Your band are not under threat! I was merely replying to an inquiry by Bacon. I mean I even said that my show was ''80-90% sold'' which is a fairly good return by most people's estimates. You are fanatical!

Its his responses to stuff like this why I said yesterday that Jarmo is best described as an "advocate".

Jarmo is always at Defcon 1.  Constant state of readiness to strike back at all threats, real or perceived.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »

I have Reagan's ''Star Wars'' in mind.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »

I'm laughing at you and your silliness, and your response is for me to calm down.... Funny. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »

Jarmo, you are many things, but calm is not among them.  At least, when it comes to certain folks around here.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »

Are you sitting next to me at the moment?

If not, how would you know? Smiley

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »

Are you sitting next to me at the moment?

If not, how would you know? Smiley

Because I can read?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »

Doesn't mean you know how I feel at any particular moment.

Since I can read too, I think you're a sad individual.

Fair? Cheesy

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

Doesn't mean you know how I feel at any particular moment.

Since I can read too, I think you're a sad individual.

Fair? Cheesy

Not really.  Just a pissy, irrelevant dig.

I do not claim to know how you feel.  I comment on how your stuff reads and how it comes across, because that's the only version of you I see.

Getting back to the original point, "calm" is not a word I would use to describe your online presentation of yourself.

And speaking to a larger general point about dealing with the people on message boards for lo these many years, there is absolutely an inverse proportion between the times a person says how calm and breezy they are and to how much that's actually true.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

Free thinking!

/jarmo

Come on, Jarmo.  Are you really saying that sold out means either (a) all tickets were sold and the venue was a maximum capacity or (b) it looked that way to people?

The writer of the article clearly could have done research to determine if, in fact, shows were sold out (that?s not really hard to figure out) or characterize it such that it ?felt? sold out to him (e.g. looked like near capacity crowds, etc.). 

Sorry, but you cannot add subjectivity to whether all tickets to a concert have been sold.  The writer brought this on himself by his inaccurate reporting?but then again you?re not surprised that the media gets it wrong, right?  ok
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »

Getting back to the original point, "calm" is not a word I would use to describe your online presentation of yourself.

Depends how you see it, reading posts like yours year after year without losing it, could be considered calm. Smiley

And speaking to a larger general point about dealing with the people on message boards for lo these many years, there is absolutely an inverse proportion between the times a person says how calm and breezy they are and to how much that's actually true.

Same logic: So since you keep going on about your friends in your posts, is it safe to assume they're only a result of your imagination?

Come on, Jarmo.  Are you really saying that sold out means either (a) all tickets were sold and the venue was a maximum capacity or (b) it looked that way to people?

The writer of the article clearly could have done research to determine if, in fact, shows were sold out (that?s not really hard to figure out) or characterize it such that it ?felt? sold out to him (e.g. looked like near capacity crowds, etc.). 

Sorry, but you cannot add subjectivity to whether all tickets to a concert have been sold.  The writer brought this on himself by his inaccurate reporting?but then again you?re not surprised that the media gets it wrong, right?  ok

I was half joking, half serious.
You see, this particular person is a proud objective honest person, in his own words.
Yet, he can't seem to see why somebody might label a show sold out.

It's called perception, as far as I know. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

For some, if they see three empty chairs at a show, it's not sold out. Like you said, others look at what's around them and it appears sold out to them.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

I think a far more accurate picture of your demand can be gleaned by the size of venues you are booking.

Not necessarily the amount of tickets sold in that venue.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »

I think a far more accurate picture of your demand can be gleaned by the size of venues you are booking.

Motley Crue are on their last tour, they've booked arenas in the UK. Four dates. One festival date in all of South America.

And yet, GN'R gets pretty much labeled as failures for not selling out all tickets for their eight shows in the UK or their nine in Brazil....

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 11:52:48 AM »

Motley Crue are on their last tour, they've booked arenas in the UK. Four dates. One festival date in all of South America.

And yet, GN'R gets pretty much labeled as failures for not selling out all tickets for their eight shows in the UK or their nine in Brazil....

I think its hard to "sell out" come of those places in South America that are huge.  Its not realistic.

I also think the mindest that South America has become the GNR homebase is a little overdone.  And as a result, they are held to a pretty high standard.

However, the Crue has come through here twice on this tour.  Playing venues that GNR could not fill, even doing a "buy one, get one" ticket promotion.  We can't just pretend that's not going on. 

mortismurphy
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »

Well you cannot very well accuse me of that since my original post which you jumped upon was merely a citation of the base fact that the UK show I was at was 80-90% sold. Why must you create all of these complex webs of apology and explanation in order to buttress the band from (perceived) failure? Can you not just accept the fact that they did not sell out? You can still do quite well and not reach your maximum. 90%, the upper end of my figure, is a fairly respectable statistic. I could have lied and said 60%, which could be interpreted as a 'failure', but I did not.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »

You take your own posts way too seriously.

I already explained to you why it might seem to the writer that the tour was more successful than you like to admit or think.
But no, you're not buying it. It's the usual "I saw it wasn't sold out so this is wrong". You're the "$1.99 the week after its release" guy after all.

However, the Crue has come through here twice on this tour.  Playing venues that GNR could not fill, even doing a "buy one, get one" ticket promotion.  We can't just pretend that's not going on. 

A more fair comparison would be them touring in November or December instead of high summer.
Anyway, they seem to be doing quite well on all those last tour legs across the US.

On a global scale, not even the last tour ever banner is helping them play more shows across the countries than GN'R does on a "regular" tour. That was the point.

Instead of people jumping in here and saying GN'R didn't do well and focusing on their show not being 100% sold out, why not just give them some credit for once? Smiley

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

On a global scale, not even the last tour ever banner is helping them play more shows across the countries than GN'R does on a "regular" tour. That was the point.

Were they ever a big draw over there?  I honestly don't know.

Instead of people jumping in here and saying GN'R didn't do well and focusing on their show not being 100% sold out, why not just give them some credit for once? Smiley

I'm with you that dwelling on a show not being 100% sold out does somewhat miss the point.

But I very much doubt you are with me when I say that the fact they are playing much smaller venues and fewer total venues (small or not) speaks to the lack of demand for modern day GNR in this country.

So, like a lot of your posts, you want people to make concessions on certain points that rub you the wrong way, yet you are not willing to make similar concession in an area you'd rather we just not address at all.  That's why people give you a hard time on some of this stuff.

Give a little, get a little, you know?

mortismurphy
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »

You take your own posts way too seriously.

I already explained to you why it might seem to the writer that the tour was more successful than you like to admit or think.
But no, you're not buying it. It's the usual "I saw it wasn't sold out so this is wrong". You're the "$1.99 the week after its release" guy after all.

The article is riddled with errors. Rather than trying to imagine some 'reason' why this writer saw 'sold out' shows, I merely saw his mistake as a symptom of a poorly written article. There really was no agenda by my comment of, ''the show I attended was not a sell out. I would estimate 80-90% full'', Jarmo. It was a reply to information Bacon required on GN'R's UK touring. You have created an argument out of something that was thoroughly innocuous and now look quite silly for it.

Have done so - twice,

I mean I even said that my show was ''80-90% sold'' which is a fairly good return by most people's estimates.

You can still do quite well and not reach your maximum. 90%, the upper end of my figure, is a fairly respectable statistic. I could have lied and said 60%, which could be interpreted as a 'failure', but I did not.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »

No, I don't buy your negative outlook.

The band has played shows in the USA every year on their tours between 2010 and 2014.
So instead of one US tour in 2011, you got multiple over the years.

I'm surprised you didn't think about this already.

Mortis, there's some irony in you pointing out errors in an article considering how difficult it was to convince you that you were wrong. Cheesy

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:10:30 PM by jarmo » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: