Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 01:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I'm looking for an Amp and need some Advice
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm looking for an Amp and need some Advice  (Read 15552 times)
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 05:49:52 PM »

I think you're making a good desision by getting the Marshall. With the Line 6 you're really limited to exploring different sounds. With Marshall you have much more controll over what kind of sound is put out rather than just having to chose between the 6 or so different amp settings the Line 6 spyder has to offer.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »

peavey man thats whee its at

theres a tube amp for fucking under 400 bucks! and the transtubes are incredible SS amps

and the MG sucks

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 10:03:10 AM »

peavey man thats whee its at

theres a tube amp for fucking under 400 bucks! and the transtubes are incredible SS amps

and the MG sucks

The Peaveys aren't fully tubed, right? The all tube amps cost upwards of $600.
And MG sucks big time.  yes

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 10:12:10 AM »

a freind is selling an old marshall Lead12 20W amp and a boss distortion pedal for $80 i might just do that until i can get some more $$$ and i got another buddy that has a boss chorus pedal that he doesn't use anymore...he might just give it to me

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »

ok so so far the recommended amps are

Peavey - Transtube
Line6 - Flextone
Marshall - Valvestate

What about the Roland, Crate, Randall, behringer, fender? what's the verdict on them
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 10:25:00 AM by Neemo » Logged

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 01:22:11 PM »

^ Are u only looking for SS amps?
Fender, Roland, Randall and Crate (esp Crate V8 Palomino) are good.
Not so sure about Behringer, I've not heard anything good about them.

Fuck 'Em All.
JohnMorrison73
Banned
VIP

CRIME SCENE SLUNK

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »

MGs do not suck big time. it is the best combo amp u can get  yes

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »

^ Are u only looking for SS amps?
Fender, Roland, Randall and Crate (esp Crate V8 Palomino) are good.
Not so sure about Behringer, I've not heard anything good about them.

SS? what does that mean? solid state? but yeah just a 30-50W single unit to jam on.....$300-$500....as good of sound as possible but cheaper the better...but I'll pay closer to $500 if the sound quality is alot better volume doesn't really concern me as i prolly will never bring it as high as a 30w could even go @ max

I play GnR, Zeppelin, nirvana, metallica, STP....that type of shit

I will be playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top through it...foot switching is ideal...preferable both dig effects as well as the clean/overdrive channels, so i guess at least a 2 button switch, but the price is including switching...that's why I was thinking that the Marshall MG-50 DFX would be ideal for me.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 01:39:03 PM »

MGs do not suck big time. it is the best combo amp u can get  yes

Ha, right. If u want to use it as a loudspeaker. (or a table).

SS? what does that mean? solid state? but yeah just a 30-50W single unit to jam on.....$300-$500....as good of sound as possible but cheaper the better...but I'll pay closer to $500 if the sound quality is alot better volume doesn't really concern me as i prolly will never bring it as high as a 30w could even go @ max

I play GnR, Zeppelin, nirvana, metallica, STP....that type of shit

I will be playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top through it...foot switching is ideal...preferable both dig effects as well as the clean/overdrive channels, so i guess at least a 2 button switch, but the price is including switching...that's why I was thinking that the Marshall MG-50 DFX would be ideal for me.

Don't buy an MG, seriously. Why don't u go for a tube amp? Laney, Epiphone and Traynor have nice all tube amps in the price range u mentioned. Try them out at a local guitar shop.
Also valveking series (pref. classic series, if u can afford) from Peavey are good.

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »

Don't buy an MG, seriously. Why don't u go for a tube amp? Laney, Epiphone and Traynor have nice all tube amps in the price range u mentioned. Try them out at a local guitar shop.
Also valveking series (pref. classic series, if u can afford) from Peavey are good.

cool...I'll check it out. I've never played a Tube amp so i have no idea how they sound...that'll be fun. I've been playing for 12 years but only played electric for about a year about 5 or 6 years ago. And now i got a hankerin' to play electric again. Before, i had a peavey amp and hated it so that's why I'm skeptical about them but I have 2 recommendations now SO I'll definately check em out beer

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »

I have the valveking (all tube) as i mention a lot. one of the best amps you can get under 1000 bucks.

heres a list of stuff under or around 500 i would use.

These are all tube-

Epiphone, the new one- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Blues-Custom-30-Watt-2x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480288
PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

These are SS or have tube preamps-

Marshall AVT50x- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-AVT50X-50W-1x12-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482635
hughes and kettner matrix 100- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Matrix-100-Combo?sku=480421
Crate RFX120- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-RFX120-Combo-Amp?sku=487824
Peavey Bandit 112 (this is what i meant by transtube)- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Bandit-112-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481332

thats the top 6. I bolded the best ones in both categories
but in order its

1. Peavey Valveking
2. Blues 30
3. Hughes and Kettner
4. Peavey Bandit
5. Crate
6. Marshall

out of everything in the range on that site, those are the only ones worth it

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 06:40:49 PM »

thanks for the info ok

are you a salesman or something? every amp on there is like $499 hihi

I'll go check em out though beer the shop i go to is gonna be sick of me by december rofl

W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 06:54:19 PM »

the line 6 flextone III 2x 12 is the way to go, amazing...live..studio...practice...all amps, all mics, all cabinets...tuner...excellent wah (u have to buy the  "FBV shortboard" footboard)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:37 PM »

^$699 for the amp and $269 for the FBV board.... = $968 which is $468 too much Undecided

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 01:35:30 PM »

I've never played a solid state amp that sounded very good. They also sound more harsh as you turn them up, while tube amps get better sounding cranked. There are some decent tube amps for cheap these days too. If you're into affordable tube combos I'd check these out:

Crate V16 Palomino

Crate V32 Palomino

Peavey Valve King 112

Peavey Classic 30

Epiphone Valve Standard

Fender Blues Jr

The only solid state amp I'd recommend is the Tech 21 Trademark 30. It does a decent job of emulating tube sounds without being all fake like digital modelling amps.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 12:23:41 PM »

hey everybody i made a decision...i'd like to sincerily thank everybody for their imput, I've played too many amps over the last couple weeks and i finally jsut decided to go cheap for now, the spiderII 30.

my decision was kinda 4 fold...

- first - price...fuck It's by far the cheapest 30W amp available by like $40 and that is huge in the prices they come in like 20% cheaper...
- second - I'm relatively new to electric guitar so i figured I'll start small and work from there...
- thirdly - there are 6 built in digital effects as well as reverb some amps don't even have effects and a pedal is like $100 a pop basically adding to the cost
- fourth and final - it has 4 presets that are programable and for 100 more i can get a 4 button footswitch with an onboard wah/volume pedal

I just think for the money and size it's the most versatile amp i've played

again thanks everybody for the advice beer and if i upgrade i think i got a better understanding of where to begin

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: