Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  axl's voice in 2006
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: axl's voice in 2006  (Read 15024 times)
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 03:50:41 AM »

I felt his voice was ok, i was more than fine with it. My issue was that he was often out of breath and therefore missed notes, and sounded weak. I don't think it was his voice that was the problem, it was a lack of preparation. I think he'll be ready this go around though.

but is it possible that his voice can grow stronger in 4 years? that's what i would like to know...

no since he hasn't sung live in years..it takes time

but wouldn't it be possible to do this through practicing?

judging from 2001-2002 I don't think he practices enough
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 03:55:18 AM »

wasn't he saying that he was experimenting with?his voice during the 2002 tour?Huh
I think i heard it somewhere ?Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Anyway, i think Axl will be prepared this time. ?I don't think we need to worry about the band because they sounded pretty tight on the last tour.

when did he say that? and they will definately sound better than ever, i believe we are in for something extraordinary this time around. i've never been prouder to be a gnr fan! beer

The one and only Speed Stone, reader since '99, member since 2002, had to delete my account due to severe insults by SLCPUNK
Origen
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 03:59:34 AM »

I say just wait two weeks and then all these voice questions will be answered.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 04:00:47 AM »

I think his voice was amazing during the '02 Tour.

Higher & lower notes, vocal range extended, powerfull screams (Live And Let Die Shocked) but way too whiny sometimes ...

I'm not missing that rough edge a lot, because it's still there, but Axl doesn't fuck up his voice anymore like he did in the Illusions Tour.

Listening to Sweet Child ... on the Tokyo '92 DVD is painfull. But the Boston '02 version is amazing.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 04:02:13 AM »

I say just wait two weeks and then all these voice questions will be answered.

i know that but i'm just very eager and curious ok

The one and only Speed Stone, reader since '99, member since 2002, had to delete my account due to severe insults by SLCPUNK
Woooo!
Headliner

Yeah, we all know Better...

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 04:37:49 AM »

Ok the general consensus seems to be that people would prefer that Axl sound more like he did in the UYI tour. Personally I think now he has a clear precise singing voice which wonderfully with the new songs they played i.e. Madagascar, The Blues even Riyadh and the Bedouins. However, that type of singing doesn't work on songs like Welcome to the Jungle, You Could Be Mine etc. So I hope the new material is more adapted to his style.

Also here I present a bit of proof that Axl can still sing like he used to. It is probably mostly to do with physical health and his singing ability but this rocks. This is a clip of Nightrain from Pukkelpop 2002. Enjoy ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVHeqko20w&search=NIGHTTRAIN

There's not anymore that I can do...
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 04:44:42 AM »

I think Axl knows if this tour isn't completely mindblowing, and CD is delayed again, Guns n' Roses is effectively dead in the water. We'll still love him, but he'll be seen as a joke. I think it'll be great. Leeds 2002 knocked me on my ass! and i love his new mellower voice. I agree he did seem breathless sometines in 01-02, but rather that than knackered voice like the tokyo vids.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 04:47:52 AM »

I don't have any idea how it will sound now, but my favorite voice wasn't hollywood rose or the end of the illusions, I liked it somwhere in between with high points and rasp.. I'll know on may 12th..
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51:14 AM »

Higher & lower notes, vocal range extended, powerfull screams (Live And Let Die Shocked) but way too whiny sometimes ...

I'm not missing that rough edge a lot, because it's still there, but Axl doesn't fuck up his voice anymore like he did in the Illusions Tour.

Listening to Sweet Child ... on the Tokyo '92 DVD is painfull. But the Boston '02 version is amazing.
the funny thing is that i like the scom voice on the tokyo dvd's and not that much the voice in 2002. i mean, it was ok but i would've preffered that roughness from 91-92. it.s just a matter of taste probably. like someone said earlier about rocket queen in 2002, his voice didn't suit the song imo

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 04:54:19 AM »

the funny thing is that i like the scom voice on the tokyo dvd's and not that much the voice in 2002. i mean, it was ok but i would've preffered that roughness from 91-92. it.s just a matter of taste probably. like someone said earlier about rocket queen in 2002, his voice didn't suit the song imo

His voice in 02 was to high, he has  a mickey mouse sound at times.. I remember when he was like mtv good night his voice was so damn high.. He had a high voice in the old days but he had a stronger sound.. I think if he was being judged on AI they would say very pitchy... WHo can really tell what 2006 will bring, 4 years older, 4 years more rest..
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 04:55:34 AM »

Ok the general consensus seems to be that people would prefer that Axl sound more like he did in the UYI tour. Personally I think now he has a clear precise singing voice which wonderfully with the new songs they played i.e. Madagascar, The Blues even Riyadh and the Bedouins. However, that type of singing doesn't work on songs like Welcome to the Jungle, You Could Be Mine etc. So I hope the new material is more adapted to his style.

Also here I present a bit of proof that Axl can still sing like he used to. It is probably mostly to do with physical health and his singing ability but this rocks. This is a clip of Nightrain from Pukkelpop 2002. Enjoy ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVHeqko20w&search=NIGHTTRAIN

that's all the proof we need right there, axl can still sing like he used to! ok
and i believe this tour he will be even better, he will blow the hinges off the gates! Grin

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 04:58:19 AM »

His voice in 02 was to high, he has? a mickey mouse sound at times.. I remember when he was like mtv good night his voice was so damn high.. He had a high voice in the old days but he had a stronger sound.. I think if he was being judged on AI they would say very pitchy... WHo can really tell what 2006 will bring, 4 years older, 4 years more rest..

yeah, maybe he'll sound like minnie Cheesy

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 07:10:20 AM »

there are a few things to factor I reckon

a) his voice isn't as strong as it was (especialy in the upper register).This is due to getting older and earlier years of misuse and abuse

b) he was unfit and out of shape in 02 and hence less able to project

c) he runs around the stage to much becoming breathless

d) he was unprepared in 02, it seemed he hadn't bothered to prepare sufficiently

I hope he has learned from 02 and address's these factors accordingly

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 07:32:28 AM »

I was wondering about Axl's voice last night too. I wan't keen with a lot oh how he sounded on the 2002 tour, but on the demos he's pretty good. I do prefer the Illusion tour sound that what we've heard recently... but I guess we'll wait and see. He's certainly looking a lot better than in 2002 anyway Smiley

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
comaknight
Rocker

When all is said and done, we're not the only ones

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 07:44:35 AM »

The less he runs around, the stronger he'll sound.  That goes for any singer.  You try singing while you're literally running across the length of a stage all night.  It ain't easy, folks.  Thankfully, there are no side stage areas at Hammerstein; it's all front stage-facing.  So he won't need to run around to play to the entire crowd.
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 08:06:22 AM »

The less he runs around, the stronger he'll sound.? That goes for any singer.? You try singing while you're literally running across the length of a stage all night.? It ain't easy, folks.? Thankfully, there are no side stage areas at Hammerstein; it's all front stage-facing.? So he won't need to run around to play to the entire crowd.

Stage dive! Stage dive!! Grin

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 08:34:32 AM »

The less he runs around, the stronger he'll sound.? That goes for any singer.? You try singing while you're literally running across the length of a stage all night.? It ain't easy, folks.? Thankfully, there are no side stage areas at Hammerstein; it's all front stage-facing.? So he won't need to run around to play to the entire crowd.

Stage dive! Stage dive!! Grin

we don't need axl breaking a hip at his return show.. If he dives grab the rings Grin
ChinDem04
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »

Axl's voice was decent on the last tour, but I personally feel that it wasn't the best on songs like My Michelle and Think About You, maybe even Patience. We know these songs to be from an era when Axl's voice was so rough. If anyone wants to hear the effect of his new voice on the songs just listen to The Blues from RIR3
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 08:41:37 AM »

As someone who has had some vocal training, I can say with confidence that if he wanted to have a rougher edge to his voice, he could - all that takes is pushing it harder. The ability to produce a clear note is what a singer loses over time, especially when the voice is over-used. If vocal cords are functioning well, and properly trained, air flows through them in a smooth stream and you will hear a clear note. If they are over-used, or if a singer's technique is bad, nodes can form on them, which are roughly equivalent to getting a callous. This harder formation prevents a clear stream of air from passing through the cords, and consequently a note sound rough or uneven. If anyone has heard the difference between how Brian Johnson sounds on Back in Black compared to more recent AC/DC, it's a great example of someone who has really messed up their voice.

As far as how that pertains to Axl, it's going to be interesting to find out. He is a bit of a freak vocally anyway, but in my opinion, he sounds better trained at the 2002 shows, and more operatic now - more like Tate or Halford. On the UYI tour, he was definitely injuring his voice. No one who sings that hard can have longevity in the ranges Axl sings in.
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 08:44:58 AM »

I like his voice in 2002. He was very good, the only problem is sometimes he ran out of breathe and when he ran you could hear the shaking in his voice. But other than that he just needed to add a little bit more grit, sometimes he did it perfect and others no so much. Plus, I think he sings this way to save his voice, and make sure its consistant for the whole tour. Without it hurting him.

His voice on the Illusion Tour was very tired. It was pretty much like he was just screaming. Although, I think 1993 is the best he has ever sounded live. You could tell he started taking care of his voice. But 1991 and 1992, his voice was just tired and too gritty. He sounded nothing like the records. But I still do like the aggressiveness of voice from back then.

If he mixed his voice from the Illusion Tour and the 2002 tour then his voice would be perfect, in a live setting. Obviously his voice on records is phenominal.

But then again, Axl's more of a performer. He perfects his voice on the record and then when he tours he's all about putting on a show. I think he's willing to sacrifice the quality of his voice in order to put on a show. Which I can totally understand because if I go to a show I dont want to see a band just standing there in one spot just bobbing their heads, its boring. Thats another reason why Guns is my favorite band, they always put on a good show, both old and new. And thats why Axl is my favorite artist, because he's a great singer and a great performer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: