Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:58:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  London Brixton Academy 21st Review!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: London Brixton Academy 21st Review!  (Read 2332 times)
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« on: January 21, 2005, 08:05:47 PM »

Just got back to University in London after seeing this gig and oh my god am i impressed. Velvet Revolver were in every way possible amazing. Appoligies if this rambles on i am exhausted and actually having trouble typing.

Got to the Academy about 15 min before the doors were opened, once inside we imediatly grabed a few beers and headed into the main hall. The first support band was already on when we walked in, i have no idea who they were but the Ian Brown wannabe lead singer was extremily cocky, even joking that they were the "new sound of rock and roll" and their last song was called...... "sweet child of mine" Funny Guys!!! (not). They eventually left, to the crowds delight then on came that Datsuns, now im not a big fan but one of my buddies who was with me is a huge one, he was the pratt in the green t shirt at the very front going insane and getting every one else into it . I was actually very impressed with them, extremily tight and played really well, did an excellent job of getting the crowd going and warming up for VR.

Then came the wait, now the Datsuns finished at about 8:15, there were flyers up on the wall that said that VR would hit the stage at 8:45. This was not the case, i dont know why they were up but they were obviously wrong. They didnt get on stage untill 9:30, i think there was some sort of technical issue as there were techs and roadies running around the venue, hooking up new cables to the mixing desk. Few people around me were making the obvious Axl Rose lateness connection.

Then it happened at 9:30 on the dot, which is kind of suspicious, i think they were making us wait to build up the tension. The usual roadie came out and shouted "from hollywood Velvet Revolver" The crowd goes nuts and they immediatly kick off into Sucker Train Blues. The audience was brilliant, we immediatly pushed up into the very front and were right in it. It was simply amazing. Here is the setlist as best i can remember, if anyone wants to correct it please do.

Setlist:

Sucker Train Blues
Do It for the Kids
Headspace
Superhuman
Illegal I
Crackerman
Dirty Little Thing
Fall to Pieces
Big Machine
It's So Easy
Sex Type Thing
Set Me Free
Used to Love Her
You Got No Right
Mr. Brownstone
Slither
Bodies

By far the highlights for me were Fall to pieces, which was just heroric. When Duff, Scott and Slash all get up on the front of the stage at the very end, its just beautiful. Big Machine was also very good, Scott was playing with the crowed just before hand, getting clapping going really loudly then calming the room down to almost complete silence. Then came the Guns songs, i have never had the opportunity to see Guns n Roses play live. I really wish i had done, seeing VR play just makes me want to see the original lineup so much. Its So Easy was spectacular, although i dont think they like playing it. Matt stood up on his drum stool and stuck two fingers up at the crowed when we are all applauding. Mr Brownstone was also impressive, although its just not the same with Scott singing it, dont get me wrong Scott is an amazing signer. When i listen or watch live performances of the old band Axl just takes it up to a whole unreachable level. This was also the case with Used To Love Her, it was good, just not the way it should be if any of you know what i mean.

Slash was really good, he was playing with the crowed quite a bit, saluting crowd surfers and playing solos behind his head. Brilliant! The highlights came at the end of the show when Brownstone was played, the crowd went nuts, we went straight back into the front and got right in the middle of it. Then came an extended version of Slither, that was also incredibly good. Then Scott announced that there were two Sex Pistols in the crowd watching the show Glen Matlock and Peter Cook. They kicked straight into Bodies which was amazing.

There were however some low points, Brixton is not so good on the sound front, it tends to be very echoy and at times it was difficult to hear scotts singing and even at some points Slashs playing but these were minor things. Im just being picky!!

Overall an excellent expeirience, one of the best gigs i have ever been to. There stage show was ridiculous. The lights, Screens and huge flashing VR logo. Good show VR, hope to see some more soon.

One last thing if anyone has any photos of this show could they post them. And if there is an audio recording or even video. They must exist because of the screens, please please please post it somewhere. PLEASE.

Jonx

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:19:43 PM »

Thanks for the review. I agree with most of it.  Wink

I was there as well..... Just like you, when we walked in the first opening act was on. I don't remember their name, AdZ does though....

"Bodies" was a nice surprise since it hasn't been played on this leg. Hopefully there'll be more surprises at the two upcoming shows.

I think this show was better than the Hammersmith one. Let's see if they can top this.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 09:50:42 AM »

Thanks for the review. I agree with most of it.  Wink

I was there as well..... Just like you, when we walked in the first opening act was on. I don't remember their name, AdZ does though....

Second Line.

You forgot to mention the played a bit of Angie before Used to Love Her.
Buckle
Mr. Mayonaise (The Model)
Opening Act

The World is My Bucket

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 10:23:34 AM »

Brilliant gig, was very impressed, definetely better than the Hammersmith one!

And "Bodies" was amazing, my favorite song was definetely "Mr. Brownstone".

Yeah scott's vocals were sometimes a bit quiet but still brilliant.

Overall an amazing show!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: