Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 11:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Adler's Appetite To Embark On First Full U.S. Tour
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler's Appetite To Embark On First Full U.S. Tour  (Read 78588 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

from the point i've mentioned its the same: 1 original member of the classic line-up playing GN'R songs, like it or not  ok

Re-Union time, baby!!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »

..with painfully mediocre musicians in front of a few barflys at a local dive.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »

from the point i've mentioned its the same: 1 original member of the classic line-up playing GN'R songs, like it or not  ok

The difference is Axl wrote a good bit of the music, Adler not so much....
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »

Better than the GNR tribute bands in my opinion.

thats about all it is..  a tribute band.    kinda wish Steven would do something different.

1 original member from the "classic" line-up.....just like Axl and his hired guns today  peace

except one is Guns N' Roses, the other is not
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »

my point was and still is about the classic line-up:
and goin strictly with this you'll get the voice of AFD GN'R with Axl's line-up (whoever is in), you'll get the dums of AFD GN'R with Adler (whoever is in).

Re-Union time, baby!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »

my point was and still is about the classic line-up:
and goin strictly with this you'll get the voice of AFD GN'R with Axl's line-up (whoever is in), you'll get the dums of AFD GN'R with Adler (whoever is in).

No... you go see Guns N' Roses, you get a Guns N' Roses show.   You go see Steven, you see a GnR coverband with him on drums playing AFD. 

Its got nothing to do with AFD, that was 20+ years ago.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 03:09:24 AM »

you still fail to see that my point of view that was only about the "classic line-up" (Slash, Axl, Izzy, Duff, Steven) in this case:

Steven + additional musicians (call it cover-band or not) playing AFD songs + more
Axl + additional musicians (call it cover-band or not) playing AFD songs + more

and there is no way anyone can twist this!
from other perspectives it is different off course but that wasnt my point.

Re-Union time, baby!!
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »

Adler sucks.  He didn't contribute shit to GN'R. He didn't write anything and anyone could have played drums on Appetite.  The record company tried to get rid of him before Appetite cause he sucked.  He needs to concentrate on being sober not on touring. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »

Adler sucks.  He didn't contribute shit to GN'R. He didn't write anything and anyone could have played drums on Appetite.  The record company tried to get rid of him before Appetite cause he sucked.  He needs to concentrate on being sober not on touring. 

Ridiculous post of the year

U obviously have no idea how big of a role drums play in the sound of a band. The Appetite sound hasn't been duplicated since and Steven is a big part of that.

His drumming has hooks, and his parts just give GNR a groove they haven't had since.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »

Steven does have a really distinct groove, but I think Frank and Brain are probably superior.

Really can't see Steven doing a mean TWAT or Riad'.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »

Steven does have a really distinct groove, but I think Frank and Brain are probably superior.

Really can't see Steven doing a mean TWAT or Riad'.

Thank God

Dude, the drums are pretty bland on CD and there is absolute NO memorable beats.

Appetite u got

Jungle, memorable
PC nothing has to be said
Brownstone
Rocket Queen

I think sometimes u guys forget just how amazing Adler is on Appetite.

I personally think he is right up there with Tommy Lee and guys like that who just have that uniqueness that most drummers don't have.

Most drummers are the same pretty much, its rare to find drummers who really stand out and make u recognize what they do.

Im not a big drum guy. Tommy Lee and Lars  are  the only ones  I really give a shit about drum wise and when I buy a Metallica/Motley CD, I really pay attention to the drums.

Adler does that for me on Appetite. His drum parts are HOOKS, they are actually melodic and they are drums for fuck's sake.

I don't hear any real groove or memorable beats on CD. it all is pretty basic, session musician drumming to me. it definitely doesn't kick u in the teeth or make u want to air drum.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:23:27 PM by D » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »

I don't hear any real groove or memorable beats on CD. it all is pretty basic, session musician drumming to me. it definitely doesn't kick u in the teeth or make u want to air drum.

Thank God you  love Chinese Democracy and the band.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »

There it is again Jarmo, Exactly what YG and some of us were talking about

Because I like Adler's drumming better, all of a sudden I don't like the album or new band.

The album is good and I am one of the biggest Axl fans on the planet. It is no secret that I am not a huge fan of the other members yet, mainly cause I don't know them well and  They do too much shit outside of GNR for my taste. Tommy seems cool, Chris did some really great work and I liked Bucket.

The drums and Bass are damn near non existant on this CD.

I guess the little drum fill before the vocal starts in Catcher is the greatest most mind blowing drumming ever.

most of it sounds like a drum machine from Fruity Loops or Garage Band or Reason or whatever other drum programs are out there.

The UYI drumming and the CD drumming can't touch Adler's work on Appetite. If that hurts people's feelings, Im not gonna apologize for it. Doesn't mean CD's drumming sucks per se but Adler does some other level great shit on Appetite that can't be matched by many other albums  let a lone drummers.

So I don't see why that is such a slap in the face.....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:36:37 PM by D » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »

There it is again Jarmo, Exactly what YG and some of us were talking about

Because I like Adler's drumming better, all of a sudden I don't like the album or new band.

No, saying shit about the album just to prove your point is different.

Why do you have this need to put Brain and Frank down to make Steven a better drummer? He can't stand on his own?

The funny thing is that if I had said anything negative about Steven Adler's drumming (which isn't my opinion, just an example), I would be labeled "an old band hater".

Apparently I hate the old band but nobody can show me where I've said anything bad about their playing or contributions to the band's history.

Yet when you bash the current musicians in the band, it's all fine.

Don't you think that's a bit hypocritical?

Maybe you need to spend a little more time listening to the album before completely disrespecting the drummers and their playing.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2009, 10:45:21 PM »

where can i hear the original material?

As was said, Adler's myspace has 5-6 original songs you can listen to in their entirety.  Some are pretty good, I really like "Cindy".  They also released an EP on CD in 2005 but I don't know if that's still available.

i
No, saying shit about the album just to prove your point is different.

Why do you have this need to put Brain and Frank down to make Steven a better drummer? He can't stand on his own?

Actually, Axls Main Man is the one who brought the new band into this by stating that the new drummers are superior to Steven (and in a thread unrelated to the new drummers, I might add).   D was only responding to that.  I guess you kinda missed AMM's post, huh?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:51:22 PM by Bridge » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »

Actually, Axls Main Man is the one who brought the new band into this by stating that the new drummers are superior to Steven (and in a thread unrelated to the new drummers, I might add).   D was only responding to that.  I guess you kinda missed AMM's post, huh?

He didn't go out of his way to prove how worthless Steven Adler is.

He said he likes Steven's drumming but prefers others.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »

Im not trying to make those drummers worthless, I just think the drums are so low in the mix, that nothing really stands out.

I've listened to each song hundreds of times and I couldn't hum u one drum part from the entire album

Appetite on the other hand, I can do the table drum thing on all of Adler's stuff.

What I hate about it is, Just because Steven is a fuck up and looked at as an 80's guy, the fact Axl doesn't like him, people like to take shots at him and act like he somehow was just "lucky" to be in GNR, like he has no talent whatsoever.

His drum beats help make so many of those songs.

Hell, even Izzy and other old members have stated how GNR wasn't the same after he got fired.

The drumming on CD sounds like the basic/standard drumming you hear on any other CD u can put in . doesn't suck but it isn't anything to write home about.

and yes, CD doesn't really groove. It is pretty mechanical and just meticulously planned. It doesn't have that spontaneous energetic feel to it. U can tell the drums and bass were recorded at various times cause they don't have that deep locked in pocket feel.

listen to Adler/Duff, or Flea/Chad Smith and u will see what I am talking about with groove and being in the pocket.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:32:55 PM by D » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 11:34:12 PM »

Maybe I'm a little late to the party but when did Axl ever say he didn't like Steven?  I've never heard that before.  I thought he respected him and wished him the best in his recovery.  I could be wrong I guess.  And from what I recall it wasn't Axl alone that got Steven ousted from the band, all parties were in agreement.  You're making it sound like Axl hated Steven, therefore had him fired from the band, and hasn't looked back ever since.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »

Maybe I'm a little late to the party but when did Axl ever say he didn't like Steven?  I've never heard that before.  I thought he respected him and wished him the best in his recovery.  I could be wrong I guess.  And from what I recall it wasn't Axl alone that got Steven ousted from the band, all parties were in agreement.  You're making it sound like Axl hated Steven, therefore had him fired from the band, and hasn't looked back ever since.

Axl was definitely not alone in firing Steven.  Slash and Duff had equal roles as Axl's.

Slash suggested in his book that Axl didn't like Steven just because Steven had an in-your-face blunt approach to some of Axl's antics.  Slash also said that he didn't think Axl truly ever appreciated Steven's contributions to Guns N Roses.  But Slash also acknowledged that he didn't know for sure, he was just speculating.

In the Axl Q&A section in the main section, Axl was asked about Steven, and his answer was... I do wish Steven the best and in my heart hope he finds peace and security.

I would say that Axl feels the same way about Steven that he does about Slash.  He loves 'em both but feels they cannot coexist in a band or in life because of their differences.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:14:26 AM by Bridge » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »

I would say that Axl feels the same way about Steven that he does about Slash.  He loves 'em both but feels they cannot coexist in a band or in life because of their differences.

Steven was at one of the GN'R after show parties in Las Vegas in 2006.

Slash wasn't.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: