Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 253446 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #340 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »

Some interesting factiods:

The Blue Jays have the 3rd best run differential in the AL...and the 3rd worst record in the AL.

The Yankees have the WORST run differential, of all division leaders, in MLB...but the 2nd most run's scored in all of MLB (and the most runs scored of all the division leaders).

The Houston Astros, who were the second worst team in the AL last year (only better than the Rangers), have the best record, and run differential, in the AL (though, admittedly, they've cooled off over the last 10 games).

The Minnesota Twins, who were ALSO the 2nd worst team in the AL (yes, tied with Houston), have the second best record in the AL, and the 3rd best run differential.

It is a weird, weird, weird 2015 season.....

It is very weird.  I thought a lot of the hot american teams would be slowing down, but i cant see that happening.

Now that its June, I see a few teams making some big moves.  I see lots of inter leage trades.   American hitters for national pitchers
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »

Things are not looking good for David Wright, hope this spinal issue does not end up being a career-ender. 

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/the-road-ahead-will-bumpy-for-david-wright-alderson-and-the-mets/
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »

Things are not looking good for David Wright, hope this spinal issue does not end up being a career-ender. 

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/the-road-ahead-will-bumpy-for-david-wright-alderson-and-the-mets/

That's too bad, cool guy and a good player.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

It is very weird.  I thought a lot of the hot american teams would be slowing down, but i cant see that happening.

Now that its June, I see a few teams making some big moves.  I see lots of inter leage trades.   American hitters for national pitchers

June's a lil early for big moves, with the (goofy) advent of the second wild card (baseball's self created drama mechanism) more teams are "in it' and aren't as apt to trade and/or dump salaries until the trading deadline if at all.

But yes, a weird season nonetheless in the AL.

Status quo in the NL thus far, big boys are doing their thing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:12:35 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »

Whelp, those 7 innings couldnt have gone any better for the Yanks, and Tanaka.....he looked like he did oast year, ncluding his velocity being back up a couple mph.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »

Falcon,

The NL started with all sorts of weird, odd stuff, too....but larger sample size righted the ship, so to speak.

We are 30% through the season....and the AL weirdness has continued. 

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »

Falcon,

The NL started with all sorts of weird, odd stuff, too....but larger sample size righted the ship, so to speak.

We are 30% through the season....and the AL weirdness has continued. 

I thought the AL weirdness would correct itself this far in, long season though - still time.

Nice to see Tanaka do well today, any start with his elbow not exploding is gravy at this point.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #347 on: June 04, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »

Mets are going with a 6-man rotation, here's an interesting article on whether that's a good idea.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-six-man-rotations-ever-worth-it/?ex_cid=538fb   
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #348 on: June 04, 2015, 10:53:20 AM »

Mets are going with a 6-man rotation, here's an interesting article on whether that's a good idea.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-six-man-rotations-ever-worth-it/?ex_cid=538fb   

I suspect the Yanks might try the same thing when Nova, potentially, comes back in a few weeks.  They don't have anyone in the rotation (OK, maybe CC, but we all know that's not going to happen) who they can pull right now.  Maybe that'll change by then..but...if not....I think we might see a similar approach.

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #349 on: June 04, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »

Great game buy the Jays yesterday.  As they took the series with the Nationals!   Burele looked un stoppable pitching a 6 hit shutout

Batista is starting to look like a broken down horse.   He was playing right field in the first time in forever.   Looks to be throwing slightly side armed now....     Like a falling stock the jays need to sell him off quick.   Still a great player that should be able to get us a proven younger hard throwing right hander
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #350 on: June 04, 2015, 11:31:15 PM »

I suspect the Yanks might try the same thing when Nova, potentially, comes back in a few weeks.  They don't have anyone in the rotation (OK, maybe CC, but we all know that's not going to happen) who they can pull right now.  Maybe that'll change by then..but...if not....I think we might see a similar approach.

Not a fan of the 6 man, I'm all for banking innings on younger guys by spot starting other guys but that's as far as it goes.

Pitchers are creatures of habit, the vets hate it and it overworks a bullpen.

Here's an article on why the Cards won't consider it:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/goold-six-man-rotation-not-a-fit-for-cards/article_70c68a09-091b-57d1-8e47-a9192af3b5d3.html

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #351 on: June 05, 2015, 07:04:12 AM »

Not a fan of the 6 man, I'm all for banking innings on younger guys by spot starting other guys but that's as far as it goes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/goold-six-man-rotation-not-a-fit-for-cards/article_70c68a09-091b-57d1-8e47-a9192af3b5d3.html

I'm not a big fan, either.

BUT: Nova will be coming back from TJ. Tanaka is eventually going to NEED TJ. Pineada has had major shoulder issues. C.C. seems most effective, now, after longer rest AND he's had knee and arm issues the past few seasons.

The other 2 spots in the rotation, right now, are also all being thrown by relatively young arms (Warren, Eovoldi).

I can see them deciding to prolong everyone in that rotation, this year, by going with 6 for awhile.  Maybe not all season (and maybe not for long if things go horribly wrong).  But for July and Aug? 

Maybe.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #352 on: June 05, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »

I'm not a big fan, either.

BUT: Nova will be coming back from TJ. Tanaka is eventually going to NEED TJ. Pineada has had major shoulder issues. C.C. seems most effective, now, after longer rest AND he's had knee and arm issues the past few seasons.

The other 2 spots in the rotation, right now, are also all being thrown by relatively young arms (Warren, Eovoldi).

I can see them deciding to prolong everyone in that rotation, this year, by going with 6 for awhile.  Maybe not all season (and maybe not for long if things go horribly wrong).  But for July and Aug? 

Maybe.

I think it's a case-by-case thing.  If it's the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks, then its makes no sense to dilute the value of the 2 Cy Young caliber horses at the top of your rotation.  But in rotations where you have pitchers who are innings capped due to age, injury or whatever, I think it's worthwhile.

Also, Terry Collins has been suggesting that it will be more of a hybrid spot-start / 6-man approach for the Mets, as it's likely that Dillon Gee will be skipped in situations where there's an extra day rest due to an off-day.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #353 on: June 05, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »

The Red Sox are awful. There's really no sugar coating it. They've had 2 embarrassing efforts over the last week. Outside of Pedroia, Bogaerts, Buchholz, the newest phenom Eduardo Rodriguez, and maybe Betts nobody else is pulling their weight. They're doing nothing well in any facet of the game. Hanley is a disaster in LF. Pablo is struggling with the bat and the glove. Those 2 guys were supposed to solve their offensive woes from last season. Somehow they've been even worse. I didn't agree with them signing BOTH guys, since they both played 3B. They overpaid for both, especially since Pablo's #'s slipped the last few years and he's not the model of fitness. I would've never expected Hanley to be this bad in LF. You'd figure he'd be able to make somewhat of a transition being a for a former SS/3B/good athlete. But he is the worst OF I think I've ever seen at this level. And I'm not sure I'd trust him anywhere on the field. He's a DH at this point. Unfortunately, the Sox already have a DH. I think Ortiz would be better at 1B than Hanley in LF, and by a good margin. But I doubt they'd go that route at this late stage in David's career. But something has to give for the good of the team. I know it's not ideal, but the trading Ortiz has to be on the table. Or trade Napoli and platoon Ortiz at 1B since he can't hit lefties anymore. That's how bad Hanley is in LF. Drastic moves need to be made. Trading Hanley would be an option too, but I'm not sure he'd have much appeal to other teams.

Just an enormous mess! Not sure how they don't fall out of this race quick and finish in last for the 3rd time in 4 years. Thank god for 2013! Seems like so long ago.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:50:08 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #354 on: June 05, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »

The Red Sox are awful. There's really no sugar coating it. They've had 2 embarrassing efforts over the last week. Outside of Pedroia, Bogaerts, Buchholz, the newest phenom Eduardo Rodriguez, and maybe Betts nobody else is pulling their weight. They're doing nothing well in any facet of the game. Hanley is a disaster in LF. Pablo is struggling with the bat and the glove. Those 2 guys were supposed to solve their offensive woes from last season. Somehow they've been even worse. I didn't agree with them signing BOTH guys, since they both played 3B. They overpaid for both, especially since Pablo's #'s slipped the last few years and he's not the model of fitness. I would've never expected Hanley to be this bad in LF. You'd figure he'd be able to make somewhat of a transition being a for a former SS/3B/good athlete. But he is the worst OF I think I've ever seen at this level. And I'm not sure I'd trust him anywhere on the field. He's a DH at this point. Unfortunately, the Sox already have a DH. I think Ortiz would be better at 1B than Hanley in LF, and by a good margin. But I doubt they'd go that route at this late stage in David's career. But something has to give for the good of the team. I know it's not ideal, but the trading Ortiz has to be on the table. Or trade Napoli and platoon Ortiz at 1B since he can't hit lefties anymore. That's how bad Hanley is in LF. Drastic moves need to be made. Trading Hanley would be an option too, but I'm not sure he'd have much appeal to other teams.

Just an enormous mess! Not sure how they don't fall out of this race quick and finish in last for the 3rd time in 4 years. Thank god for 2013! Seems like so long ago.

It could be worse. Dice k could still be on your team. :p

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2015, 10:58:51 PM »

The Yankees bullpen this year makes me want to jump through a fucking window! How the hell do you go into the 9th up 8-0 and win 8-7. Mo come back!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #356 on: June 06, 2015, 01:47:08 AM »

The Yankees bullpen this year makes me want to jump through a fucking window! How the hell do you go into the 9th up 8-0 and win 8-7. Mo come back!

Trust me, your bullpen could always be worse.  Just look a little north to see one!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #357 on: June 06, 2015, 05:47:51 PM »

It appears the 6 man didn't last long with the Mets...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/06/it-appears-that-the-mets-are-already-bailing-on-their-six-man-rotation/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #358 on: June 06, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »

Trust me, your bullpen could always be worse.  Just look a little north to see one!!

I guess it could, but anyone not named Betances or Warren have a combined 4.05 ERA and even Betances was terrible last night.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »

The short answer: Esmil Rogers

I mean, really, that was it.

Miller has also shown that he is really most effective pitching a full inning, and it should probably be THE NINTH inning.

In the 8th, or coming in mid-inning...it's not all that pretty.

The fact is: The Yanks pen has actually been the best in baseball...even the mid part that makes you cringe.  Some injuries out there, right now, are making things a little thinner, too.

But, I agree with this: 2 games in a row and you were sweating bullets at the end. ONE of those, at least, was completely unnecessary and a product of Rogers ineptitude.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: