Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 253446 times)
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »

Quick question, as part of a trip through west-USA i've bought tickets for a baseball game.
D-backs vs Dodgers at dodgers stadium on 9/24

But the time on the schedule says TBD. While other games after that do have the time shown.
Why is this? What time can the game start, 1 pm or 7 pm? And when will it be announced?

I can see it's the last game in a series of 4 so I don't know if it can be decided before this game or something like that?

I bought MLB 15 The show on ps4 so that will help me learn the specifics about the game i hope  Grin

It will likely be a 1 PM or 7 PM start time. Could be 5 PM, conceivably, if ESPN or MLB has picked up the game for national television...but that's REALLY unlikely for a Thursday game. 

It IS late in the season, so if there are playoff implications, maybe that's why they keep it TBD.  Honestly, I'm surprised it is. If it had been a Sat or Sunday game, I'd get it (because ESPN and FOX can select their games VERY last minutes, and that would change start times). But a Thurs? Very unusual. Maybe there is something else going on in the area/stadium that they are waiting on so they can determine time.

Thanks for the info! As long as the game won't be cancelled!
I'm sure I can arrange something with my Airbnb host for checking in later of earlier Smiley

Like peeing clouds!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »

Quick question, as part of a trip through west-USA i've bought tickets for a baseball game.
D-backs vs Dodgers at dodgers stadium on 9/24

But the time on the schedule says TBD. While other games after that do have the time shown.
Why is this? What time can the game start, 1 pm or 7 pm? And when will it be announced?

I can see it's the last game in a series of 4 so I don't know if it can be decided before this game or something like that?

I bought MLB 15 The show on ps4 so that will help me learn the specifics about the game i hope  Grin

It will likely be a 1 PM or 7 PM start time. Could be 5 PM, conceivably, if ESPN or MLB has picked up the game for national television...but that's REALLY unlikely for a Thursday game. 

It IS late in the season, so if there are playoff implications, maybe that's why they keep it TBD.  Honestly, I'm surprised it is. If it had been a Sat or Sunday game, I'd get it (because ESPN and FOX can select their games VERY last minutes, and that would change start times). But a Thurs? Very unusual. Maybe there is something else going on in the area/stadium that they are waiting on so they can determine time.

Thanks for the info! As long as the game won't be cancelled!
I'm sure I can arrange something with my Airbnb host for checking in later of earlier Smiley
Stubhub lists the game as a 7:10 start FWIW. It doesn't rain too often in LA, so they should get the game in.

https://m.stubhub.com/event/9176896/?gcid=C12289x848&keyword=MLB+Team+Schedule+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+20150924&s_tnt=65826:9:0

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2015, 02:19:34 PM »

Lets go Jays!!!   Kill those Yankee bums!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »

Oh those silly Jays liked good tonight.  Martin is off to a career start lets hope he can keep up this pace!   Won't be long till the devesion gets settled out.  I can't see the Rays maintaing this pace
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #304 on: May 07, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »

Looks like the Red Sox just fired their pitching coach...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #305 on: May 07, 2015, 12:56:20 PM »

We talked about their staff last week...

Way to blame the pitching coach for putting together a bum rotation....

As they say in sports....Hired to get Fired.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #306 on: May 07, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »

Agree. Its an organizational cop out.

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »

Oh another win for the Jays!  I just hope they can stay in the mix until I seem them in Seattle in July! Haha. As long as we don't have to play Tampa anytime soon we should be alright
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #308 on: May 10, 2015, 07:19:01 PM »

What a completely dominant start for Pinaeda today 16 k's. He's finally become the pitcher we hoped we got in that trade.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

What a completely dominant start for Pinaeda today 16 k's. He's finally become the pitcher we hoped we got in that trade.

Let's just pray for good health. Other than Colon, who is not human with his control. Mikey Pinetar has the best K/BB ratio in the league.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »

Agree. Its an organizational cop out.
He's the fall guy for sure, but ALL 5 starters and a number of the bullpen guys are pitching well below their career levels. And their staff didn't pitch very well, and their young arms didn't progress much last season either. I agree that their staff isn't very good. But it shouldn't be THIS bad. A new pitching coach certainly can't hurt. It remains to be seen if it'll help. They may fire Chili Davis if their bats don't wake up soon. Guys are also hitting well below their averages. Ferrell and Cherrington will soon start to feel more heat too, unless things start to break their way.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #311 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »

He's the fall guy for sure, but ALL 5 starters and a number of the bullpen guys are pitching well below their career levels. And their staff didn't pitch very well, and their young arms didn't progress much last season either. I agree that their staff isn't very good. But it shouldn't be THIS bad. A new pitching coach certainly can't hurt. It remains to be seen if it'll help. They may fire Chili Davis if their bats don't wake up soon. Guys are also hitting well below their averages. Ferrell and Cherrington will soon start to feel more heat too, unless things start to break their way.

From the outside looking it, it looks a lot more like a GM/scouting issue than it does a "pitching coach" centric issue.

I agree...the new pitching coach can't hurt....but I'm not sure you fire a guy midseason based on "a new guy can't hurt".  You fire midseason...and that's being kind, cause let's face it, it's EARLY season....when you want to place blame.

In this case, I don't think that's fair.  They have a number of guys who are proto-typical 3-5's in the rotation....and they're expecting them to pitch like 1-3's.  I agree, you've got guys not pitching to the back of their baseball cards.  Some of them have been historically inconsistent (Bucholz), some are coming off career years they aren't likely to replicate, some are changing leagues and some were probably overpaid/"overexpected" if you REALLY looked at their career stats, and their trend over the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Combine that with the fact that I suspect some of these guys are just having a tough stretch, that happens to coincide with other guys having tough stretches.......

None of those are really fixable issues by "the pitching coach".  If you wanna say the young arms haven't come along as fast or as far as you'd like....that part may be true.  But part of that, I'd offer, is to be laid at the feet of your internal scouting staff, too.  I think there were some unrealistic ceiling projections, VERY similar to what happened with the Yanks internal scouting staff, that elevated expectations to unrealistic levels.

I guess we'll sorta get an inkling when we see what the new guy ultimately does. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:21:58 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #312 on: May 11, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »

From the outside looking it, it looks a lot more like a GM/scouting issue than it does a "pitching coach" centric issue.

I agree...the new pitching coach can't hurt....but I'm not sure you fire a guy midseason based on "a new guy can't hurt".  You fire midseason...and that's being kind, cause let's face it, it's EARLY season....when you want to place blame.

In this case, I don't think that's fair.  They have a number of guys who are proto-typical 3-5's in the rotation....and they're expecting them to pitch like 1-3's.  I agree, you've got guys not pitching to the back of their baseball cards.  Some of them have been historically inconsistent (Bucholz), some are coming off career years they aren't likely to replicate, some are changing leagues and some were probably overpaid/"overexpected" if you REALLY looked at their career stats, and their trend over the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Combine that with the fact that I suspect some of these guys are just having a tough stretch, that happens to coincide with other guys having tough stretches.......

None of those are really fixable issues by "the pitching coach".  If you wanna say the young arms haven't come along as fast or as far as you'd like....that part may be true.  But part of that, I'd offer, is to be laid at the feet of your internal scouting staff, too.  I think there were some unrealistic ceiling projections, VERY similar to what happened with the Yanks internal scouting staff, that elevated expectations to unrealistic levels.

I guess we'll sorta get an inkling when we see what the new guy ultimately does. 
I agree their scouting deserves a lot of blame. All teams inflate their own prospects, but the young arms they've called up the last few years have all faltered. And it's hurt them on the field and also in the trade market, as their stock drops off considerably.

I think their hope was that Buchholz pitched like an ace, or close to that level, which he's done for 2 HALF seasons before. I've personally given up on that ever happening for a full season. They hoped Porcello would be a strong 2 at the very least, and he's been pretty good lately, so they might be right on that one. They hoped Masterson would come back healthy and regain his form from a few years ago. But his fastball is in the 80's and he can't find the plate. That 1 year gamble isn't working out well. I didn't like the Miley move from the outset. He's a 4 or 5 at best. Kelly throws hard but can't find the plate consistently enough. He's got some tools though. So there's a few guys who are what they are, and a few you could hope to get more out of. Until the next round of pitching prospects come up to disappoint.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #313 on: May 11, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »

Let's just pray for good health. Other than Colon, who is not human with his control. Mikey Pinetar has the best K/BB ratio in the league.

Yep and he seems to be getting better the warmer it gets.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #314 on: May 11, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »

Tanaka threw a bullpen session today Girardi says he's encouraged by Tanaka's progress.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »

Baltimore better not hit any home runs tonight.  Davis and Jones look to good!!   Where are there piss tests!!  Hahaha

Let's go jays!   Joey bats better be in the game   Lets do it baby
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »

EE two home runs in Baltimore last night.  Both to the opposite field.  He didn't have any opposite field homers last year.   So I take this as a good sign that he will hit over 40 this year!!   Go jays!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #317 on: May 15, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »

And another one bites the dust. Chase Whitley very likely done with TJ surgery with a torn UCL.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

And another one bites the dust. Chase Whitley very likely done with TJ surgery with a torn UCL.

Yeah..saw the injury last nght, and knew right away.

Question is..why 15 day dl with sprain, and not 60 day dl, to open up roster spot on 25 man....

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »

If Tommy John got a nickel every time someone had his surgery, he'd be a very wealthy man.  Not really, but you get what I'm saying. Especially this year.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: