Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release  (Read 172053 times)
Jacksnazzy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

i wrote an email to the dr pepper company:

dear mr. kooluris,

certainly you didn't anticipate with such a huge reaction because of this announcement...

i'm asking myself if the GNR camp was informed by your company about this marketing gag. is this the first step to a big promotion for the upcoming album chinese democracy ?

sincerely,

XXXXXX

answer:

Hey XXXX?the gunners camp wasn?t in the loop initially, so you can imagine how excited we are to have Axl?s support?we are fully confident that Chinese Democracy will be out in 2008?we can?t wait!

C K

bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2008, 10:32:10 AM »

Very exciting news and just one more reason to love Dr. Pepper, which by the way, is the best tasting soft drink in the world.  If anyone feels otherwise, please meet me in person so I can slap you with my white glove and challenge you to a duel.

After 3 sips of Dr. Pepper I am so bloated and cannot drink anymore.  It has a good taste, but too filling.

lol how many people from here do you think are drinking Dr. Pepper today for the first time (or at least the first time in years)Huh?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »

awesome reply. humble and witty.

love the last line "And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album I'll share my Dr. Pepper with him."
beer
bh bring your own glass with you!
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »

I think it's awesome that this company has put it's mouth where it's money is - what an awesome idea! I would do the same thing if I had the money. Thank god someone has stepped up to push this issue. Although Dr. Pepper gives me heartburn, I'd drink it just to celebrate the fact that the album has come out!

I say it will be 2008! Thank you Dr. Pepper. What other companies can we get to do this? Nike? ITunes? Ahhhh, just dreaming. But I love this!

Puking doesn't make me horny.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

there must be quite a few huge fans in the beverage giant. Or they wouldn't dare liken cd to their dearest product in the press release to make the news on the radio and at all the music sites and business sites.

Actually, Cadbury/Schwepps has used viral marketing and music in relation to their products (7-up, for example) in the past.

I remember seeing a 80s axl pic with a can of 7 up in his hand. Anyone has it handy?
elmir
VIP

« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

assuming that a can costs 20c in the US.....with 303,616,998 people living in the states....
that's a meager $60million dollars out of the bank....almost 5 times as much as what Geffen paid for CD...

i'm glad Axl called their bluff...he may be confident now, but Mr. PR Chris is going to start shitting pretty soon if Axl decides to deliver....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
patmac54
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »

assuming that a can costs 20c in the US.....with 303,616,998 people living in the states....
that's a meager $60million dollars out of the bank....almost 5 times as much as what Geffen paid for CD...

i'm glad Axl called their bluff...he may be confident now, but Mr. PR Chris is going to start shitting pretty soon if Axl decides to deliver....

Yea, but i'm sure that if Axl were to get the album out this year, each copy would come with a free Dr. Pepper coupon redeemable after purchase of the album. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »

And you got research showing that every one in the US definitely wants a free can?  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:02 AM »

I remember seeing a 80s axl pic with a can of 7 up in his hand. Anyone has it handy?

it's in the rare pics thread
elmir
VIP

« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »

And you got research showing that every one in the US definitely wants a free can?  hihi

/jarmo

no, but if i was on the corporate board of Dr Pepper, that's the only thing i'd be interested in....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

/jarmo

no, but if i was on the corporate board of Dr Pepper, that's the only thing i'd be interested in....

That'd be the worst case scenario for them, definitely not us, but I'm sure they have an idea of how many cans would be given out.

Realistically speaking.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
elmir
VIP

« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2008, 11:06:38 AM »

That'd be the worst case scenario for them, definitely not us, but I'm sure they have an idea of how many cans would be given out.

Realistically speaking.

/jarmo

yeah, they most definitely do...i just hope that it isn't a bluff...and they're hoping to get some free publicity counting on Axl not delivering....because if he decides to play along with them....someone could in real trouble...

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »

Many big companies often execute give away sales champagnes.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »

Yes I realize that, but when was the last time he didn't sign his name as W. Axl Rose?

I know I'm reading too much into this, maybe it was written by a PR person, and was an oversight.
And, you'd think DR. Pepper would mention this HUGE challenge on the Promo section of their website.
 Like I say, it was just something odd I noticed.

1) The Dr. P "people" are saying this leaked early....which might be why the site's not up yet.

2) The press release IS up on a site owned by Cadbury/Schwepps (http://www.brandspeoplelove.com/).   Unless there's been some hardcore hacking of their site......the Press Release is legit.

I just went to poke around that site and found nothing in their press releases about this. Maybe the whole thing did leak a little early?

At this point, I'm just hoping this isn't some crazy April Fools joke that leaked early.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Jacksnazzy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »

it's no april fool. it's legit.
xj220
Headliner

TWAT=goodness

« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »

Two things: Axl indirectly implies it'll be out this year by assuming he'll have a drink to share and BUCKETHEAD IS ON THE FUCKING ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I was wondering if anyone would finally notice this "little" detail...

Just because he said that he'd share is DP with Buckethead does NOT mean it's coming out this year.  Yeah, it is implied but he never said "it's coming out this year."  He could have said it as a knee-jerk reaction to them saying Buckethead won't get one.  I don't want to be an asshole, but you guys shouldn't get your hopes up by reading into things too much.  Personally, I think it's quite humorous and might help nudge Axl in the right direction.

The guy hasn't said anything at all publicly since last August.  I don't think he makes public statements on a knee-jerk reaction.  So of course everyone's going to over-analyze this small statement - given the infrequency of comments from Axl there's nothing small about it.

Call it what you want, I still think it's Axl trying to be witty.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I've gotten my hopes up too many times to have them dashed again and again.  I'm still a GNR fan through and through, but I'm a lot more wary of anything that comes out now.  More than likely what will happen is the coupon with the CD or a way where you can go to drpepper.com (or whatever it is) and register to get a free coupon.  They wouldn't do something like this unless they knew they could take the hit of it actually happening.

"Face it, if crime did not pay there would be very few criminals." -Laughton Lewis Burdock
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »

Go back a page or two and you'll see why the numbers work out....I posted a pretty detailed explanation there.

First off....your costs are inflated by a factor of 3x to 4x.  A can costs somewhere between .05 and .08 cents to manufacture and bottle.

While the offer will be open to all, I'd bet that, at the max, you're talking about a 10 to 20% "adoption" rate.  Even that would be high in comparison to other "free" promotions (Nestle has done it with their Caramel Crunch Bars, Mike and Ike recently did it, Dale and Thomas did it with gourment popcorn) adoption rates.

So, max...the company is risking about 4.8 million.  Not a huge amount.  And I'd bet the wheelhouse is more like 500k, because I'd bet the "adoption" rate is MUCH lower than 20%. 

Really, it's not going to cost them nearly 60 million. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:26:08 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
kollemann
Rocker

Chinese Democracy is now!!!!!

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »

Chinese Democracy starts now or soon Wink

http://www.myspace.com/kollemann = german GNR support

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100000610764106
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »

Yes I realize that, but when was the last time he didn't sign his name as W. Axl Rose?

I know I'm reading too much into this, maybe it was written by a PR person, and was an oversight.
And, you'd think DR. Pepper would mention this HUGE challenge on the Promo section of their website.
 Like I say, it was just something odd I noticed.

1) The Dr. P "people" are saying this leaked early....which might be why the site's not up yet.

2) The press release IS up on a site owned by Cadbury/Schwepps (http://www.brandspeoplelove.com/).   Unless there's been some hardcore hacking of their site......the Press Release is legit.

I just went to poke around that site and found nothing in their press releases about this. Maybe the whole thing did leak a little early?

At this point, I'm just hoping this isn't some crazy April Fools joke that leaked early.

http://www.brandspeoplelove.com/csab/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Click Newsroom.  Then Click News Releases.

Voila.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »

Realistically speaking.

/jarmo

yeah, they most definitely do...i just hope that it isn't a bluff...and they're hoping to get some free publicity counting on Axl not delivering....because if he decides to play along with them....someone could in real trouble...

It is a straight up plug and chug formula. I'm sure the math people at Schwepps have graph of the function that shows exactly where their profits maximize.

Perhaps, there is a business major on the board that has had calculus recently that can explain it better than I ever could.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: