Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 06:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release  (Read 172064 times)
elmir
VIP

« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »

Go back a page or two and you'll see why the numbers work out....I posted a pretty detailed explanation there.

First off....your costs are inflated by a factor of 3x to 4x.  A can costs somewhere between .05 and .08 cents.

While the offer will be open to all, I'd bet that, at the max, you're talking about a 10 to 20% "adoption" rate.

So, max...the company is risking about 4.8 million.  Not a huge amount.  And I'd bet the wheelhouse is more like 500k, because I'd bet the "adoption" rate is MUCH lower than 20%. 

Really, it's not going to cost them nearly 60 million. 

i didn't read your previous post...will go check it out now...

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
xj220
Headliner

TWAT=goodness

« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »

assuming that a can costs 20c in the US.....with 303,616,998 people living in the states....
that's a meager $60million dollars out of the bank....almost 5 times as much as what Geffen paid for CD...

i'm glad Axl called their bluff...he may be confident now, but Mr. PR Chris is going to start shitting pretty soon if Axl decides to deliver....

Go back a page or two and you'll see why the numbers work out....I posted a pretty detailed explanation there.

First off....your costs are inflated by a factor of 3x to 4x.  A can costs somewhere between .05 and .08 cents.

While the offer will be open to all, I'd bet that, at the max, you're talking about a 10 to 20% "adoption" rate.

So, max...the company is risking about 4.8 million.  Not a huge amount.  And I'd bet the wheelhouse is more like 500k, because I'd bet the "adoption" rate is MUCH lower than 20%. 

Really, it's not going to cost them nearly 60 million. 

Another thing to note is that the amount of business and attention they'll receive because of this will surely help recoup, if not completely offset any losses.  Overall a very smart marketing idea.  I remember Taco Bell was going to have free tacos to everyone if a satellite hit a giant target in the middle of the ocean (it didn't, but still good press).

"Face it, if crime did not pay there would be very few criminals." -Laughton Lewis Burdock
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »

They wouldn't do something like this unless they knew they could take the hit of it actually happening.

Dr. Pepper can afford to give everyone in America a can of soda.

It's a multi-million dollar brand, giving out a free can of soda isn't going to hurt them in the least.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

Another thing to note is that the amount of business and attention they'll receive because of this will surely help recoup, if not completely offset any losses.  Overall a very smart marketing idea.  I remember Taco Bell was going to have free tacos to everyone if a satellite hit a giant target in the middle of the ocean (it didn't, but still good press).

Taco bell DID offer a free taco to everyone in America last year, though.

It was a promo during the word series.  If a base was stolen (and at least one base has been stolen in EVERY World Series...so odds were good they were going to "lose" the wager), Taco bell would announce a Tuesday afternoon when ANYONE could come in and get a free taco.

A base was stolen by the Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury.  And on tuesday, the 30th of Oct 2007....a free taco was had by anyone who went to a taco bell between 2 PM and 5 PM.

I'd argue that promo was PROBABLY seen by a lot more people than will see this one.  Granted, you had to show at a taco bell on a specific date between specific times....and Cadbury/Schwepps will probably do something more like coupons....so the restrictions will probably be SLIGHTLY looser.  But stil...Taco Bell seems to have done just fine.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:35:37 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
xj220
Headliner

TWAT=goodness

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »

They wouldn't do something like this unless they knew they could take the hit of it actually happening.

It's a multi-million dollar brand, giving out a free can of soda isn't going to hurt them in the least.

I know, that's what I was saying, they can handle it.

"Face it, if crime did not pay there would be very few criminals." -Laughton Lewis Burdock
elmir
VIP

« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

plus they have a brilliant distribution network...they could probably deliver a can of soda to every one in the states faster than universal could send the cd across the continent....these beverage companies have such good distribution networks which can't even be rivaled by the US army...they could get a can of coke to Iraq faster than Bush could send an F16 fighter plane....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2008, 11:36:33 AM »

plus they have a brilliant distribution network...they could probably deliver a can of soda to every one in the states faster than universal could send the cd across the continent....these beverage companies have such good distribution networks which can't even be rivaled by the US army...they could get a can of coke to Iraq faster than Bush could send an F16 fighter plane....

In light of the response to Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans....I'm not sure that's really saying all that much.

Grin

Together again,
Annie
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

axl's comment about sharing the dr. pepper is awsome lol   ok

and awsome news  beer
I LOVE IT TOO!!!!!
Annie
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2008, 11:38:50 AM »

Now it's time for us all to read too much into this ... I'll go first edit:  er, second.

Axl gonna share his Dr Pepper with Buckets. Well you only get a free one if it comes out this year so hears hoping this means something, even though it doesn't ha ha ha.
I feel exactly the same way! Should I bring a Dr Pepper to the Buckethead show in Chicago in May? beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »

a free taco was had by anyone who went to a taco bell between 2 PM and 5 PM.

Hypothetically, if Dr. Pepper were concerned about a loss of profit over this promotion, they too could impose a limited timeframe of 2 PM to 5 PM for when people could claim their free soda.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »

Plus
 if it was an april fool, it would be the Soft drink company that makes an ass of themselves losing credibility.
Cadbury Schweppes is an established beverage giant.
they dared liken cd to their dear Dr pepper in their press release which made the news on the radio and at all the music sites and business sites.

They can't do this for a joke. Not any more.

horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »

go axl !
i thought it wouldn't happen ,him responding.very kool !

the one an only horsey !
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »

Hypothetically, if Dr. Pepper were concerned about a loss of profit over this promotion, they too could impose a limited timeframe of 2 PM to 5 PM for when people could claim their free soda.

I would think they'd do SOMETHING restrictive about registering for your coupon (which is how I think they'll accomplish things if CD gets released this year).  I'm just not sure they'd restrict it to 3 hours....probably more like a specific day or two.

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »

It doesn't say anything about how people will get that free can.....

It could mean anything.

For example, print out a coupon from an e-mail, mail in your name and address to get coupon in the mail, buy something to get a can for free etc etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »

Does anyone else find the mental image of Axl and Buckethead sharing a can of Dr. Pepper hilarious? 

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »

I find it sweet
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »

It doesn't say anything about how people will get that free can.....

It could mean anything.

For example, print out a coupon from an e-mail, mail in your name and address to get coupon in the mail, buy something to get a can for free etc etc.

/jarmo

They're probably thinking of ways where people can't abuse the promotion and claim multiple sodas.

Maybe claiming your soda will be on a first come - first serve basis where Dr. Pepper will alocate so many millions of cans for this promotion, and once they're gone, the promotion is adjourned.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Death Cube K
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »

They're probably thinking it's a very cheap way to get some promotion in for their brand. They calculate that most likely, CD wont be out anyway.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »

yeah?
i wrote an email to the dr pepper company:

dear mr. kooluris,

certainly you didn't anticipate with such a huge reaction because of this announcement...

i'm asking myself if the GNR camp was informed by your company about this marketing gag. is this the first step to a big promotion for the upcoming album chinese democracy ?

sincerely,

XXXXXX

answer:

Hey XXXX?the gunners camp wasn?t in the loop initially, so you can imagine how excited we are to have Axl?s support?we are fully confident that Chinese Democracy will be out in 2008?we can?t wait!

C K

Annie
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »

Does anyone else find the mental image of Axl and Buckethead sharing a can of Dr. Pepper hilarious? 
I also think it's sweet! Rememember the old song be an original drink DR PEPPER! I never drink soda. but Dr Pepper was the one that I Liked! beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: