Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227851 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release  (Read 172069 times)
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »

someone mentioned, that this dr pepper campaign leaked too early? maybe it was indeed planned as a fools day joke initially? hihi
Can we please stop rehashing this?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:14:56 PM by 40 Tuesdays Left in '08 » Logged

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
BMo13
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »

I'm just hoping that Axl and the record company realize that this is the time to get shit going (assuming of course everything is ready for the album to be released).  They shouldn't worry about what time of year is "best" to release albums and all of that jazz, just release the thing as quickly as possible! I mean you have this unexpected (and free) Dr. Pepper promotion that seems to have built quite a bit of interest, The name Chinese Democracy which would fit in with all of the talks about the Olympics, Tibet, etc...If promotion is the main worry of the powers that be concerning the album's release, I don't see how it gets better than now!  Plus you could make a lot of fans happy, which I would hope is one of their concerns.
McDuff
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »

First... Buckethead confirmed on the album 100%... that is the best part of Axl's statement, although I think it will be just a few solo's. Hopefully Bucket can play some concerts and maybe even return, because I think he is the one who pulled GnR musically to the special level and Axl definitely doesn't seem to have a problem with him anymore peace

Second, I have noticed on this and other GnR forums that the anti-Axl and anti-present GnR crowd try to sarcastically bash this amazing opportunity for free publicity.... a band can't ask for a better PR campaign than this. If this goes ahead, it will be everywhere. It just shows the anti crowd consisting of r3t4rds   ok

Third, I still think Pepper tastes like @ss but if we get the cd CD beer

I think most people don't believe Bucket will ever be in GN'R again.Anyway any mention of GN'R is a good thing if you ask me smoking
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »

I have a friend who works at Uni (as alot of you know) and hit her up about this today. She says that no one at the label has anything to do with this whatsoever. Just FYI.

If that's correct, then the band or record company had no prior knowledge of this.

/jarmo

Here's the thing I don't get:

If Axl and the band had no knowledge of this and were not o.k. with it, i.e. saw no benefit to them in this, wouldn't they be able to sue Dr. Pepper for using their name and/or likeness in a promotion (and that's what this is in reality) without consent?

Something to consider.

Ali
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »

Look Smashing pumpkins are suiing pepsie cause they usde there name and It would get bad publicity... but I guess Axl on the other hand thinks the timing couldn't be better fom him and they are going to use it to promote Chidem... they could get a lot of money from it...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »

Look Smashing pumpkins are suiing pepsie cause they usde there name and It would get bad publicity... but I guess Axl on the other hand thinks the timing couldn't be better fom him and they are going to use it to promote Chidem... they could get a lot of money from it...

That was exactly my point when I mentioned seeing a benefit to this.  It's only beneficial to them if the record is coming out because it serves as promotion.  Otherwise, it is useless to them.

Ali
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »

I'm just hoping that Axl and the record company realize that this is the time to get shit going (assuming of course everything is ready for the album to be released).  They shouldn't worry about what time of year is "best" to release albums and all of that jazz, just release the thing as quickly as possible! I mean you have this unexpected (and free) Dr. Pepper promotion that seems to have built quite a bit of interest, The name Chinese Democracy which would fit in with all of the talks about the Olympics, Tibet, etc...If promotion is the main worry of the powers that be concerning the album's release, I don't see how it gets better than now!  Plus you could make a lot of fans happy, which I would hope is one of their concerns.
I've heard this argument and thought about it myself, but the more I think about it, it doesn't make much sense.  If the album was indeed ready to be released, I can't imagine having to "wait" for a perfect time to release it.  When it's done, it's done, and it should be released at that point.  I can't see how waiting can help anyone at this point.  You're right in a sense, timing does seem to be perfect this time around with the free promotion.   But I seriously doubt THAT'S what the band was waiting for, and now all of a sudden they'll unleash the beast.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »

There are five things that have evidenced themselves to push this record out:

1. GNR Greatest Hits Record, which has gone 4x platinum
2. The positive 2nd round reception of a new, reinvigorated GNR in their performances on demos and concerts since 2006.
3. Izzy's comeback with the band, proving that at least he considers Axl to have some right to the band name.
4. Sebastchian's return to the fold with Axl and his reporting of the record confirming that he likes it as a rock album, not as Axl's friend alone.
3. This endorsement by DR. Pepper.

The latest from Dr. Pepper, I never drink the stuff, but for a corporation to promise unsolocited promotions for a rock group in this day and age is entirely unheard of. There is a market for the new album that needs to be tapped now. The record is done and there's no more reason not to start pressuring the appropriate parties to put it out.

I hope to G-D that Axl's not the one holding it up and that the record company sees the value potential for themselves. Otherwise, if 2008 isn't the year, then I doubt it will ever be released, or released with this amount of anticipation.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »

I've always been a Mr. Pibb man, but I'll knock down anything to get CD this year  beer

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2008, 05:58:21 PM »

There are five things that have evidenced themselves to push this record out:

1. GNR Greatest Hits Record, which has gone 4x platinum
2. The positive 2nd round reception of a new, reinvigorated GNR in their performances on demos and concerts since 2006.
3. Izzy's comeback with the band, proving that at least he considers Axl to have some right to the band name.
4. Sebastchian's return to the fold with Axl and his reporting of the record confirming that he likes it as a rock album, not as Axl's friend alone.
3. This endorsement by DR. Pepper.

The latest from Dr. Pepper, I never drink the stuff, but for a corporation to promise unsolocited promotions for a rock group in this day and age is entirely unheard of. There is a market for the new album that needs to be tapped now. The record is done and there's no more reason not to start pressuring the appropriate parties to put it out.

I hope to G-D that Axl's not the one holding it up and that the record company sees the value potential for themselves. Otherwise, if 2008 isn't the year, then I doubt it will ever be released, or released with this amount of anticipation.

MNW
Good point about the anticipation being up high now.  I was beginning to think people outside the GNR community had forgotten or given up on the album.  Now they've at the very least been reminded, as this story has hit most major outlets.

I visit a site daily for funny media clips and such.  They picked up on the story.  Here's there headline.

Dr. Pepper will give a free soda to everyone in America except Slash & Buckethead if Axl releases Chinese Democracy in '08. Axl's response here. Public's response, "We waited ten years for this shit? WOO HOO, Free Dr. Pepper!"

http://www.gorillamask.net

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:08 PM »

If Axl and the band had no knowledge of this and were not o.k. with it, i.e. saw no benefit to them in this, wouldn't they be able to sue Dr. Pepper for using their name and/or likeness in a promotion (and that's what this is in reality) without consent?

Something to consider.

Ali

Ask yourself this, was the gnr brand damaged by this?....the answer is no, meaning they've got nothing to base a lawsuit on.

And as far as using logos and other trademarks, all of what connected it to gnr has already been taken down and replaced by something else as far as I know.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:06:18 PM by Grouse » Logged
BMo13
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »

I've heard this argument and thought about it myself, but the more I think about it, it doesn't make much sense.  If the album was indeed ready to be released, I can't imagine having to "wait" for a perfect time to release it.  When it's done, it's done, and it should be released at that point.  I can't see how waiting can help anyone at this point.  You're right in a sense, timing does seem to be perfect this time around with the free promotion.   But I seriously doubt THAT'S what the band was waiting for, and now all of a sudden they'll unleash the beast.

Well you make it seem like I think they've been sitting around waiting for Dr. Pepper to do this.  I don't mean that at all, I have no F'ing clue what the hang up is on the release. I'm just saying now seems like a really good time to release it.  Most people are obviously fed up with the waiting,etc and some people just have forgotten about GNR through the years.  That being the case, I think it's stupid to not release the album ASAP, assuming it's finished and ready for release...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »

Well you make it seem like I think they've been sitting around waiting for Dr. Pepper to do this.  I don't mean that at all, I have no F'ing clue what the hang up is on the release. I'm just saying now seems like a really good time to release it.  Most people are obviously fed up with the waiting,etc and some people just have forgotten about GNR through the years.  That being the case, I think it's stupid to not release the album ASAP, assuming it's finished and ready for release...
Yeah I didn't mean to insinuate YOU thought they were waiting for something like this to happen to release the album.  It seems to be perfect timing right now, but if it's not released it's because it's not ready for some reason or another.  It shouldn't be viewed as if they missed a perfect opportunity.  I don't think this Dr. Pepper thing, if they indeed didn't know anything about it, will push them any harder to get the album out.  That's all I'm saying.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »

It seems to be perfect timing right now, but if it's not released it's because it's not ready for some reason or another. 

There seems to be some kind of misconception that the band doesn't want the album out because it's not ready or something.

Going by what people like Baz has said in interviews, this is totally wrong.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PrimaDonna
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »

THE NEWS IS ALL OVER SCANDINAVIA ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity Axl/Geffen/Big Honey etc etc.....!
Adam_Guill
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »

I've always been a Mr. Pibb man, but I'll knock down anything to get CD this year  beer

Mr. Pibb doesn't have the proper credentials to bring Chinese democracy to a modern generation. leave this to the doctors
Ali
Legend

« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »

Something to consider.

Ali

Ask yourself this, was the gnr brand damaged by this?....the answer is no, meaning they've got nothing to base a lawsuit on.

And as far as using logos and other trademarks, all of what connected it to gnr has already been taken down and replaced by something else as far as I know.

It doesn't matter whether or not the GN'R brand was damaged.  The issue is you cannot use someone's name or likeness in a promotional/marketing/advertising campaign without their consent.  You just can't profit off someone's name or likeness without having their o.k. and/or cutting them in on it.  You just can't do it.

Ali
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

Mr. Pibb doesn't have the proper credentials to bring Chinese democracy to a modern generation. leave this to the doctors

like Dr. Phill? He should make a promise not to sell any more of his books untill CD was out... now that would be great!  hihi

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2008, 07:06:17 PM »

Something to consider.

Ali

It doesn't matter whether or not the GN'R brand was damaged.  The issue is you cannot use someone's name or likeness in a promotional/marketing/advertising campaign without their consent.  You just can't profit off someone's name or likeness without having their o.k. and/or cutting them in on it.  You just can't do it.

Ali

Yeah, but you can always decide what to do. If the good outweighs the bad, why take the other route?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »

Has a major soft drink ever promoted a rock band like this before?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: