Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release  (Read 172053 times)
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »

CD This year?

How many Tuesdays are left in '08 again?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »

Again, intent, malicious or otherwise, is irrelevant.  You can't use someone's name or likeness in any promotion without their consent and be protected from legal action.  You are opening a door to getting sued anytime you do that regardless of circumstances or intentions.

Yeah, but would a lawsuit really have gone anywhere?

Axl would have essentially had to prove that Dr. Pepper made money off his name and the Gn'R name since this promotion was unveiled a few days ago, which would have been next to impossible.

Perhaps Dr. Pepper came to the conclusion that the probability of Axl suing over this was pretty miniscule, so they went boldly went ahead with it.

He could sue them if he wants to and there is nothing Dr. Pepper can do about that unless they've reached some sort of arrangement.

Doesn't Axl's response to this promotion lead you to believe some sort of arrangement has probably been met?

He's essentially given his approval, so I don't see how he could now all of the sudden turn around and cry foul.

The issue is not whether or not Dr. Pepper actually made money off Axl's and GN'R's name.  The issue is that by using their names in a promotional campaign without their consent they are ATTEMPTING to make a profit.  They just don't have the right to do that without consent, to even attempt to make a profit.

It is possible that Dr. Pepper thought the possibility of a lawsuit was minuscule.  But, this is not some fly by night company.  This is a well established company with a long track record of successful promotions and advertising campaigns. 

I don't think that there is necessarily some arrangement in place, but I do think Axl decided there was some benefit to this for GN'R and that's why he publicly gave his seal of approval.

Ali
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:43 PM »

No, I'm sorry, but there has to be a tie-in a payoff for any promotional campaign to have a purpose and a benefit.  You don't spend money on TV spots, viral websites and posters for movies that aren't going to come out when you expect them to come out.  That would be a complete and utter waste of money. 

I'm yet to hear of Dr. Pepper planning on spending large sums of money on this promotion.

If they do, that's entirely their choice.

New customers will be obtained once people hear about the Gn'R connection, so I fail to see how either party truly stands to lose anything, regardless of if the album is released this year.

Furthermore, I think you are grossly overestimating the memory and interest level of the general public, not us on the forums, for this album.  If this year comes and goes, this promotion will have been pointless from the band's side.

Once again, I disagree.

It's another chapter in the story surrounding Chinese Democracy, and only serves to continue to increase public awareness and interest in the band and album.

Also, for Dr. Pepper to have to give out free sodas, the record has to come out this year.  Then there is a benefit, a huge one. 

They still benefit regardless of whether the album is released or not.

As we sit here discussing this, they're probably already benefiting, and the album hasn't been released yet.

So no, I don't think the album has to come out for this to be a benefit to Gn'R or Dr. Pepper.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:46:32 PM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:13 PM »

Again, intent, malicious or otherwise, is irrelevant.  You can't use someone's name or likeness in any promotion without their consent and be protected from legal action.  You are opening a door to getting sued anytime you do that regardless of circumstances or intentions.

Yeah, but would a lawsuit really have gone anywhere?

Axl would have essentially had to prove that Dr. Pepper made money off his name and the Gn'R name since this promotion was unveiled a few days ago, which would have been next to impossible.

Perhaps Dr. Pepper came to the conclusion that the probability of Axl suing over this was pretty miniscule, so they went boldly went ahead with it.

He could sue them if he wants to and there is nothing Dr. Pepper can do about that unless they've reached some sort of arrangement.

Doesn't Axl's response to this promotion lead you to believe some sort of arrangement has probably been met?

He's essentially given his approval, so I don't see how he could now all of the sudden turn around and cry foul.

The issue is not whether or not Dr. Pepper actually made money off Axl's and GN'R's name.  The issue is that by using their names in a promotional campaign without their consent they are ATTEMPTING to make a profit.  They just don't have the right to do that without consent, to even attempt to make a profit.

It is possible that Dr. Pepper thought the possibility of a lawsuit was minuscule.  But, this is not some fly by night company.  This is a well established company with a long track record of successful promotions and advertising campaigns. 

I don't think that there is necessarily some arrangement in place, but I do think Axl decided there was some benefit to this for GN'R and that's why he publicly gave his seal of approval.

Ali

Yeah, there are only so many possible explanations.

If Axl had no prior knowledge of this promotion, then Dr. Pepper must have thrown caution to the wind, and decided they'd drop this promotion if they were to recieve a cease and decist letter.

Stranger things have happened.

Countries have been invaded on the presumption that they had Weapons of Mass Destruction Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:40 PM »

Ali, I agree with pretty much everything you say.

I DO think this an inside job.. All parties know what is going on.  We are not fucking idiots.  If you choose to beleive that people do these promotions without telling the people they are promoting they are going to promote them you are delusional.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2008, 09:03:01 PM »

No, I'm sorry, but there has to be a tie-in a payoff for any promotional campaign to have a purpose and a benefit.  You don't spend money on TV spots, viral websites and posters for movies that aren't going to come out when you expect them to come out.  That would be a complete and utter waste of money. 

I'm yet to hear of Dr. Pepper planning on spending large sums of money on this promotion.

If they do, that's entirely their choice.

New customers will be obtained once people hear about the Gn'R connection, so I fail to see how either party truly stands to lose anything, regardless of if the album is released this year.

Furthermore, I think you are grossly overestimating the memory and interest level of the general public, not us on the forums, for this album.  If this year comes and goes, this promotion will have been pointless from the band's side.

Once again, I disagree.

It's another chapter in the story surrounding Chinese Democracy, and only serves to continue to increase public awareness and interest in the band and album.

Also, for Dr. Pepper to have to give out free sodas, the record has to come out this year.  Then there is a benefit, a huge one. 

They still benefit regardless of whether the album is released or not.

As we sit here discussing this, they're probably already benefiting, and the album hasn't been released yet.

So no, I don't think the album has to come out for this to be a benefit to Gn'R or Dr. Pepper.

I admit, the movie analogy was a bad one, but you can't argue with the fact that even if Dr. Pepper does have to spend the money giving away the free soda, there will be a huge publicity benefit to them.  Just huge.  They will most certainly profit from this promotion in that case.

And again, I'm sorry, but I think you are truly overestimating the public and their interest in this record.  We here on the forums do not represent the general music buying public and their interest in this record in any way, shape or form.  That is an unfortunate truth.  A few days of renewed interest or curiosity may occur, but it will not be sustained unless there is a payoff, a point to this promotion.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »

I DO think this an inside job.. All parties know what is going on.  We are not fucking idiots.  If you choose to beleive that people do these promotions without telling the people they are promoting they are going to promote them you are delusional.

Thanks dude.  I don't know if it was an inside job necessarily, if I believe that, but there is some mutual benefit happening here or else there wouldn't have been an endorsement from Axl publicly. 

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »

I think you are a fucking idiot if you keep saying GN'R was part of it.

If you do a promotion saying "we'll give you a free soda if the Rangers win the Stanley Cup" doesn't mean you're just promoting the New York Rangers.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »

All this quasi lawyer talk the last 3 pages was a bore, cheers for the participants ok

This signature is very funny.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »

If you do a promotion saying "we'll give you a free soda if the Rangers win the Stanley Cup" doesn't mean you're just promoting the New York Rangers.

/jarmo

No, but they would have to get permission from the NHL do to that. 

I bet DP came up with the whole idea, I get that, but somebody had to run it by the GNR camp or record label.  If not, they are lucky bastards and idiots at the same time.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, do you think that Axl found out about this via the internet, or a Rep from DP called and said, hey, we have this idea, what do you think about it?  If they didn't ask him, not only would that be rude, but ballsy if he didn't actually like the promo.  If they didn't ask, they are lucky and stupid.  I don't think the executives are stupid or lucky.  They are where they are by hard work. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, do you think that Axl found out about this via the internet, or a Rep from DP called and said, hey, we have this idea, what do you think about it?  If they didn't ask him, not only would that be rude, but ballsy if he didn't actually like the promo.  If they didn't ask, they are lucky and stupid.  I don't think the executives are stupid or lucky.  They are where they are by hard work. 

As he says, it came out of the blue for the band.

They didn't know about it until it popped up online and the rest of us found out.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »

Jarmo, that is freaking crazy!!!!!!!    I am glad he liked it.  This story matches the following....

Received this reply from Chris Kooluris today when I made an inquiry as to whether or not this was true :

It?s 100% true and we?re really excited Axl Rose is happy with our support?We?re all really big Guns fans over here and can?t wait to hear Chinese Democracy?we?re hoping this is the year!  Best,

CK
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »

The issue is not whether or not Dr. Pepper actually made money off Axl's and GN'R's name.  The issue is that by using their names in a promotional campaign without their consent they are ATTEMPTING to make a profit. 

I know next to nothing about trademark law, but I'm thinking that in order to bring a successful action, one has to prove damages.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

The issue is not whether or not Dr. Pepper actually made money off Axl's and GN'R's name.  The issue is that by using their names in a promotional campaign without their consent they are ATTEMPTING to make a profit. 

I know next to nothing about trademark law, but I'm thinking that in order to bring a successful action, one has to prove damages.

Or Exploitation for their financial gain.  Gibson is suing Guitar Hero and they had a fucking agreement. 
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2008, 10:19:30 PM »

Or Exploitation for their financial gain.  Gibson is suing Guitar Hero and they had a fucking agreement. 

They are suing for patent violation, ie., financial loss.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »

Thanks dude.  I don't know if it was an inside job necessarily, if I believe that, but there is some mutual benefit happening here or else there wouldn't have been an endorsement from Axl publicly. 

Ali

There is absolutely no benefit for Dr Pepper (yet). And I don't think they are sueable until they start officially using GN'R's name in their advertizing campaigns. That press release alone is not an advertisement. Maybe they hope it will help the GN'R promotional campaign and GN'R will then be willing to participate in something mutual.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2008, 10:26:11 PM »

CD This year?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »

CD This year?

I predict between August and October so that this promotion and CD promotion can take place!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »

CD This year?

I predict between August and October so that this promotion and CD promotion can take place!

Let's hope!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: