Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:05:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release  (Read 172053 times)
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:07 AM »

I forgot exactly what it was, but like the after the superbowl, taco bell had a promotion where everyone in the country got a free taco or something like that.....you didn't have to have anything with you, but you coud only get it on that one day and between a specific time, so I'm betting it will work something like that.....oh well, not that a really care I guess, If I want a Dr Pepper that bad I'll just go buy one, lol.

Axl is God.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

made the decision to hold Dr. Pepper's feet to the fire and call their bluff with the threat of a lawsuit for using the GNR name without permission.

I doubt that. GNR name has been used thousands of times without permission by the media, in films, books and so on.

I'd rather see good intention in people.
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »

Hilarious  rofl I haven't stopped laughing

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »

made the decision to hold Dr. Pepper's feet to the fire and call their bluff with the threat of a lawsuit for using the GNR name without permission.

I doubt that. GNR name has been used thousands of times without permission by the media, in films, books and so on.

No, she's right.  You can't use someone's name in a promotion without their consent.  That doesn't necessarily mean you will be sued, but you are opening the door to the possibility to being sued.

Ali
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »

No, she's right.  You can't use someone's name in a promotion without their consent.  That doesn't necessarily mean you will be sued, but you are opening the door to the possibility to being sued.

Ali

Exactly, Guns N' Roses is a registered trademark. Anyone who thinks that you can just slap it on any promotion that takes your fancy is way off.

And there goes the challenger...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »

Ali

then they can.
are you agreeing that GNR made a threat against dr pepper for the supposed 'april fool joke' or you didn't read her post?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »

Exactly, Guns N' Roses is a registered trademark. Anyone who thinks that you can just slap it on any promotion that takes your fancy is way off.

Yet there's a bunch of shitty unofficial books, DVDs, CDs, t-shirts and things out there.

What part of:

We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr. Pepper with our album Chinese Democracy as for us this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album I'll share my Dr. Pepper with him.

Axl Rose

is unclear?

The whole thing was made by Dr Pepper on their own.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ed Rose
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »

In a Press Release promotion, anyone's name can be used. Through press releases, the "Media Machine" does all the promoting and it ends up being FREE advertising for Dr. Pepper AND Guns N' Roses.

Until you actually see paid-for ads by Dr. Pepper with the Guns N' Roses name in print, web ads, on tv or on radio, it's all legal.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »

Ali

then they can.
are you agreeing that GNR made a threat against dr pepper for the supposed 'april fool joke' or you didn't read her post?

No, I'm not agreeing they made such a threat.  I did read her post.  The point was they CAN threaten a lawsuit because of unauthorized use of a name or likeness in a promotion, if it indeed becomes a full out promotional campaign.  Not that they did or will file a lawsuit.  They being GN'R.

GN'R obviously decided not to even go down that road and be appreciative of the support.  Good for them in taking the high road on that issue.  Kudos.

Ali
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »

then you didn't read my post and the words I quoted.
and no like jarmo and edo said, they can't be sued just for mentioning the name.

It could no more be an april fool joke when it made the news.
and the unexpected warm response from axl sealed it.
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #350 on: March 28, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »

Yet there's a bunch of shitty unofficial books, DVDs, CDs, t-shirts and things out there.

/jarmo

Bingo.

This entire 5 page discussion about who can get sued and what not is just useless. Took away the excitement out of this thread too  peace

This signature is very funny.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #351 on: March 28, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »

Some people are just too cool aren't they? hihi
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »

then they can.
oy fuckin vey!!!  Do you know what the word "theory" means??  It means it's what I think MAYBE could have POSSIBLY have happened.

Gypsy's theory on how things went down:

GYPSY DISCLAIMER:  I HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OF ANYONE IN THE GNR CAMP ISSUING ANY THREATS TO ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, ON ANY MATTER WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING ANYONE IN THE DR. PEPPER ORGANIZATION.

Roll Eyes

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #353 on: March 28, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »

then they can.
oy fuckin vey!!!  Do you know what the word "theory" means??  It means it's what I think MAYBE could have POSSIBLY have happened.

and I'm saying don't buy your theory.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »

and no like jarmo and edo said, they can't be sued just for mentioning the name.

And you didn't read my last post where I said if it becomes a full-out promotion, beyond the initial press release.  That is inevitable if this comes to fruition.  There will be promotional materials used in print, online and on-air applications and there will be permission and consent absolutely needed at that point. 

Lucky for Dr. Pepper, they already have Axl and GN'R's support of this.  It could work out to help all parties involved in the end, so every can win with this.

Ali
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:21:35 PM by Ali » Logged
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »

What part of:

We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr. Pepper with our album Chinese Democracy as for us this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album I'll share my Dr. Pepper with him.

Axl Rose

is unclear?

The whole thing was made by Dr Pepper on their own.

/jarmo

If you're talking to me, I never suggested otherwise.

I'm pointing out that if Dr Pepper followed through with this and used GNR's name in advertisements, they would need the band's permission to do so.

And there goes the challenger...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »

And you didn't read my last post where I said if it becomes a full-out promotion, beyond the initial press release.  That is inevitable if this comes to fruition.  There will be promotional materials used in print, online and on-air applications and there will be permission and consent absolutely needed at that point. 

Lucky for Dr. Pepper, they already have Axl and GN'R's support of this.  It could work out to help all parties involved in the end, so every can win with this.

Ali
whatever. I responded to your reply to my post.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »

No, Dr Pepper wouldn't need GNR's permission as they aren't "Profiting" from GNR

If they are giving something away, then its not using GNR's name illegally.

Its like how Tabloids can do all that shit on celebrities and not get sued.

If they were using GNR likeness on their product they could get sued.

So those who think GNR are involved because Axl didnt sue them or send a letter are wrong.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #358 on: March 28, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »

This was a PR masterstroke from Dr. Pepper, no doubt. Good for GNR, too!

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »

Axl said the timing with the Angel Down album couldent be better! But i guess he didnt see this coming..
Since they have got the deal with a managment-team now, the future news and updates could be very interesting  ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: