Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  All Questions about the Vinyl Edition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Questions about the Vinyl Edition  (Read 22103 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 08:03:29 AM »

So does the vinyl sould better? Generally, I have found vinyl to sound superior to CD, almost like listening to a completely different master, but these days vinyl just seems to be an afterthought and can end up sounding horrid. With the various complaints about the booklet, the promotion and certain aspects of the production, did they at least manage to get the vinyl right, or am I going to have to play my own copy to find out?  nervous

Absofuckinglutely.  ok
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

Get this. I buy the vinyl at Best Buy. While I'm unwrapping it, I notice that the corners are all banged up. So at first, I decide not to bother with returning it. But then, after some reflection, I get a bit pissed off and decided to visit the big box. They were cool about exchanging it, but EVERY LP in the display is damaged, so I take the one that's in the best shape. This was last week sometime.
Anyways, this afternoon the house is all mine, and I decide to spin some Chineese Democracy at a respectable volume level. I tear away the plastic in anticipation, gently slide album #1 out of her sleeve, and lo and behold, that mutherfucker has some fingerprints and a boatload of nasty mega-fine scratches! All 4 sides, the same mess!
Mr. Rose shouldn't be suing Dr. Pepper so much as the people that are fucking up the process of getting his A+ art project to the fans in the condition that it's meant to be in. Seriously, it's un-fucking real. rant
wadey
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »

Get this. I buy the vinyl at Best Buy. While I'm unwrapping it, I notice that the corners are all banged up. So at first, I decide not to bother with returning it. But then, after some reflection, I get a bit pissed off and decided to visit the big box. They were cool about exchanging it, but EVERY LP in the display is damaged, so I take the one that's in the best shape. This was last week sometime.
Anyways, this afternoon the house is all mine, and I decide to spin some Chineese Democracy at a respectable volume level. I tear away the plastic in anticipation, gently slide album #1 out of her sleeve, and lo and behold, that mutherfucker has some fingerprints and a boatload of nasty mega-fine scratches! All 4 sides, the same mess!
Mr. Rose shouldn't be suing Dr. Pepper so much as the people that are fucking up the process of getting his A+ art project to the fans in the condition that it's meant to be in. Seriously, it's un-fucking real. rant

thats just not fucking nice!!!! i cracked open my vinyl and its completely unmarked inside and out.....i guess your a little pissed off right now

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Olorin
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »

Thats outrageous, you must return it and ask for an undamaged one. If not get a fucking refund and buy one elsewhere.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

How many of you bought a "turning table" (I know it's not really called that!) just to play Chinese Democracry?

I haven't yet, but I will be in a month or two (also buying a brand new speaker system to go along with it, hence the delay in getting it)

I had a turntable prior, but upgraded because of the album.  Word of advice for those thinking of getting a turntable.  Get something decent off the bat! There are many cheap plastic things (I had one and returned it) sold at the big box stores that won't do the album, or any LP for that matter, proper justice. 

Both of the Chin Dem LPs I purchased were also in less than perfect condition, almost like I bought them off ebay.   There is a skip in Riad on both of them at the same spot.  Bummer
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:39:59 PM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
dallasgel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »

I picked up my copy on vinyl today at HMV here in Saskatoon and it was in pristine condition.  Interestingly enough, there was also the coupon for the digital download.  I assume they just imported the American ones because the legal stuff says that it is for US residents only.  On another note, the vinyl sounds AMAZING!!  It is way better than the cd and that sounded pretty good also.  By the way I have a newer Shure cartridge and a Stanton Str8-20 turntable so it does sound better than something purchased from a big boxstore.  If you want to hear how amazing this record sounds, get the vinyl.  It sounds like 13 million bucks!
axl32rose
Rocker

Heading to 3 GNR Shows in 2010.

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »

hi guys,   is the vinyl from Best Buy a 2 record set or is it a single LP in a double gatefold sleeve.

The reason im asking is because i cannot buy it Canada as you all know so i turned to Ebay to get my copy before they get to scarce or to high priced.  I  included the Ebay link below of the Chinese Democracy vinyl i am getting ready to pay for.  I just need some advice on here before i do pay.  Is there a 2 record set or just one record.  Please let me know asap if you guys think im being ripped off and if its a botleg...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250325889914&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

PS,  Here is the question i wrote the seller and his reply..

My Question--->   Hey there, thanks for the speedy reply Smiley  I will send the money order tommorow morning.  I was also wondering if this Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy vinyl the same as the one you can buy at Best Buy (exclusive) in the USA.  I also need to know if it is the Offical 2 vinyl, 180gram vinyl.

Thanks

Seller's answer--->   Hello,

It is official and the same version as Best Buy. It is a single LP in a double gatefold sleeve..

What yas think??
EstrangedBrazil
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »

guys, ive bought the vinyl also, but i still havent heard it, as i dont have a turntable here in the US (had one in Brazil). u know, as much as a collector as i am and as much as i like having the vinyl, ive worked on the recording of a few small bands in Brazil, always CD of course. and i find extremely hard to believe that the vinyl could sound better than the CD. I understand being a purist n everything, liking old-school stuff, all that. But still, that hiss u hear is not something thats suposed to be there, its just something that turntables do... i dont know, ill try n play mine on a turntable and maybe change my opinion
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:54:35 PM by EstrangedBrazil » Logged
ben9785
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »

Hope everyone is enjoying the Vinyl copy.

I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Shipped out from Amazon UK promptly, left a warehouse at Denmark, but obviously the package had to be transferred to a different flight from Asia.. somewhere along the line it got into Thailand and now its stuck there due to the civil unrest Sad
Chief
Legend

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »

Got my vinyl copy.. it took a while from best buy but oh well, it looks great and is heavy. i cannot wait to hear it!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Brody
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 01:16:49 AM »

Hope everyone is enjoying the Vinyl copy.

I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Shipped out from Amazon UK promptly, left a warehouse at Denmark, but obviously the package had to be transferred to a different flight from Asia.. somewhere along the line it got into Thailand and now its stuck there due to the civil unrest Sad

get a good turntable and cartridge..
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 01:55:01 AM »

I have opened up TWO copies of CD on vinyl and both have skips during Chinese Democracy, Better, If The World, and a few others!  The transfer sounds altogether bad too... I bought one copy from online and one from BB in the town I live. Very strange.. Anyone else have these problems? These are both brand new records skipping at the same places on their first spin! Angry

update:

I have adjusted the weight gauge on my stylus (needle) arm and this eliminated 60% of the skips. I discussed this with a vinyl geek friend tonight, and he said it should have been put on 4 LP's, not squeezed onto two LP's. The information is ultra compressed, thus leaving tighter grooves for the needle and compromising the sound. (notice IRS in particular sounds like shit, but has no skips)

If you don't have a weight gauge attach a penny or quarter to your stylus...

I have also heard from other fans who bought the LP and they have the same problems. Anyone else out there having issues?

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »

Yup, it's bulls balls. I want quality product! Perhaps there was someone at the pressing plant who doesn't like Axl, and they sabotaged the LPs. I don't even know if it will pay to go back to Best Buy. I should wait a month for the next shipment, I guess. Cry
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »

I have opened up TWO copies of CD on vinyl and both have skips during Chinese Democracy, Better, If The World, and a few others!  The transfer sounds altogether bad too... I bought one copy from online and one from BB in the town I live. Very strange.. Anyone else have these problems? These are both brand new records skipping at the same places on their first spin! Angry

update:

I have adjusted the weight gauge on my stylus (needle) arm and this eliminated 60% of the skips. I discussed this with a vinyl geek friend tonight, and he said it should have been put on 4 LP's, not squeezed onto two LP's. The information is ultra compressed, thus leaving tighter grooves for the needle and compromising the sound. (notice IRS in particular sounds like shit, but has no skips)

If you don't have a weight gauge attach a penny or quarter to your stylus...

I have also heard from other fans who bought the LP and they have the same problems. Anyone else out there having issues?

Yes.  For me there is huge "innner groove" distortion on SOD, IRS, and Catcher. Your friend is correct in that the grooves toward the middle of the LP are smaller than the outside, so therefor more information needs to be put into smaller grooves.  When you get a song that has alot going on, especially higher notes, it is much more difficult for the stylus to read the information correctly, thus "innner groove" distortion.  In short, LPs can sound great and then get worse to horseshit at the end.  This is not true for all albums, but Chin Dem can be one of them.   

Putting it on 4 LPs would have indeed gone a long way to solve this issue, I would have paid extra $$.

Unfortunately the innner groove distortion is more of a mark on the vinly format, not the actual pressing of Chin Dem. The only way around this is alot of trial and error, and possibly $$$ for a better cartridge.  I am bringing my turntable along with Chin Dem to "needle doctor" and they are going to test it out and see what solution there is. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:49:57 AM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »

^ Please post and let me know what happens at Needle Dr. However, nothing will fix the fact that the LP sounds terrible because they squeezed too much info on it

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »

^ Please post and let me know what happens at Needle Dr. However, nothing will fix the fact that the LP sounds terrible because they squeezed too much info on it

Chin Dem is not the first nor will it be the last LP to have this issue.  If this was an AC/DC LP with one guitar playing the same two chords over and over, there would be no issue. But chin dem has 2-4 guitars, synths, piano, orchestra, crazy druming, and axl's high vocals, so there is alot of information for the stylus to read, and therefor the cartridge needs to be aligned perfectly, which is what the needle doctor people are going to look at for me.  I am just as frustrated as you, as I upgraded my turntable just for this album, and to have SOD and Catcher sound like ass is a bummer.

Ahh the joys of analog.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »

Got my vinyl copy.. it took a while from best buy but oh well, it looks great and is heavy. i cannot wait to hear it!!!

I originally pre-ordered my vinyl from Best Buy, got the package from them a couple days later and it was empty, no vinyl just a receipt saying I ordered it, nice job Best Buy! I ended up going into my local Best Buy to get the vinyl.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »

Yea, my vinyls have fingerprints on them too...

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »

guys, ive bought the vinyl also, but i still havent heard it, as i dont have a turntable here in the US (had one in Brazil). u know, as much as a collector as i am and as much as i like having the vinyl, ive worked on the recording of a few small bands in Brazil, always CD of course. and i find extremely hard to believe that the vinyl could sound better than the CD. I understand being a purist n everything, liking old-school stuff, all that. But still, that hiss u hear is not something thats suposed to be there, its just something that turntables do... i dont know, ill try n play mine on a turntable and maybe change my opinion

dude, only shitty decks and/or cartridges 'hiss'

vinyl is leagues better than CDs, since it reproduces the actual wave and not samples of the wave

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 07:08:16 PM »

dude, only shitty decks and/or cartridges 'hiss'

vinyl is leagues better than CDs, since it reproduces the actual wave and not samples of the wave

Yes.  If you play vinyl on crap, out comes crap.  Turntables are not like CD players, you have to get a decent table to get the benefits of vinyl. 

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »