Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:36:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Stone Temple Pilots
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 165526 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »

STP seems to be hitting its stride according to the reviews over the last couple weeks.  They went from doomed to fail, to complete re-emergence in no time it seems.  I never doubted they could get to this point.  We'll see how long they can sustain it though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

L.A. Times Music Blog

Hey, Weiland ? say it, don?t spray it!

June 25, 2008 12:29pm

How do you make a Stone Temple Pilot spitting mad? As your humble correspondent found out the hard way during an interview last month with the multiplatinum-selling ?90s grunge group, one very effective way is to ask frontman Scott Weiland about going to jail.

At the time of our interview, he had been sentenced to spend up to eight days in the slammer on a 2007 drunk driving charge. The spindly singer barely resembled his Dionysian former self, looking sunken, sullen and wan one evening in Burbank, just before STP embarked on its 65-date reunion tour (which hit the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday night).

In the end, Weiland had to serve only six hours inside the Van Nuys Municipal Court lockup. Still, in early May, nobody was exactly sure how long the rocker would remain inside.

So, in light of that, I asked him a question: ?How disruptive has it been on band unity to have you going to serve jail time just before reuniting onstage for the first time in five years??

His reaction was visceral and emphatic: Weiland spat a huge green loogie on the wall that dripped down just behind bassist Robert DeLeo and his brother, guitarist Dean DeLeo, who, it must be noted, played it off like nothing had happened.

The rest of the exchange went like this:

Where?s your head at right now just before going to jail?

All these questions are ?, man. Who do you interview? To what level?

A lot of famous musicians. Not Michael Jackson-famous, though.

Do you interview Keith Richards? David Bowie? Do you interview people who over a 20-year career who aren?t ? born-again Christians? Who aren?t part of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?

Um, yes. A lot of those guys. I interviewed Bowie but not Keith.

Then you should know. Our contribution is music, you know? This is the problem with the press. Are you part of the paparazzi?

I write for the Los Angeles Times.

Is there a difference anymore?

Well, the paparazzi don?t write. They take pictures.

I?m not so sure, man. Rolling Stone is borderline these days.

If I?ve said something that put your nose out of joint, I apologize.

My nose isn?t out of joint. I live my life the way I live my life. I don?t have to make any apologies. I just find it a little hilarious that you?d ask such a question.

Cccchh-www-thhsptttt [Weiland spits on the wall].

? Chris Lee

http://theguide.latimes.com/blogs/soundboard/2008/06/25/hey-weiland-say-it-don%E2%80%99t-spray-it/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:45 AM »

the show last night at the bowl was amazing, especially when they busted out too cool queenie

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »

STP seems to be hitting its stride according to the reviews over the last couple weeks. 

It does seem that way.....

Live Review
Stone Temple Pilots - Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles

Thu, 26 Jun 2008

The most moving moment of Tuesday night's Stone Temple Pilots homecoming may have had nothing to do with music. It was also probably missed by much of the audience, who were already leaving the Hollywood Bowl when Scott Weiland scrambled through the front sections of seats after the band's final bow, acknowledged fans and friends along the way, then jumped back onstage to join his wife and child before leaving the stage in their airtight embrace.

Without diminishing the impact of any member of the band, the Weiland whirlwind was a key factor in the break-up of Stone Temple Pilots five years ago, and his current state of mind has to be a major contributing factor to the band?s reunion. For everything that has gone wrong with the frontman in recent years, it felt pretty damn good to see something that couldn?t have looked more right.

Review: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news/article/0,,4704578,00.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »

Some video of STP at the Hollywood Bowl.....

STP- Sex Type Thing (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7PZWmSrohmw

STP- Crackerman (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tOfmNSHTWaI

STP- Too Cool Queenie (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AbGXGp_CjgA

STP- Dead and Bloated (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl) partial
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6JPv5r0zmWQ

Thanks to MightyJoeBrett for the video

sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

Some video of STP at the Hollywood Bowl.....

STP- Sex Type Thing (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7PZWmSrohmw

STP- Crackerman (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tOfmNSHTWaI

STP- Too Cool Queenie (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AbGXGp_CjgA

STP- Dead and Bloated (June 24, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl) partial
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6JPv5r0zmWQ

Thanks to MightyJoeBrett for the video

Thanks for posting Funkymonkey.  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

With that blonde hair he kind of looks like Matt Sorum from a distance! rofl

I love STP and VR but man, Scott has to be one of the worst frontmen vocally live ever.

or those are just really bad recordings.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:09:14 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »

With that blonde hair he kind of looks like Matt Sorum from a distance! rofl

I love STP and VR but man, Scott has to be one of the worst frontmen vocally live ever.

or those are just really bad recordings.

I saw STP about a month ago and saw VR twice...I disagree with you, I think Scott's a great frontman.  For example, I don't think he's as great as Axl, but he's a better frontman than Eddie Vetter (and I love Pearl Jam). He puts on a very energetic show and he has tons of charisma.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »

He is a great frontman as far as energy and charisma. Its just his voice unintelligble and just most of the time off.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2008, 07:04:51 PM »

He is a great frontman as far as energy and charisma. Its just his voice unintelligble and just most of the time off.
Both times I saw him Live front VR his voice, stage presence and style were On! Although I never cared for the studio stuff, live I was very impressed. yes

Have you seen him live dude or are you just going off those rough youtube vids?
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »

Both times I saw him Live front VR his voice, stage presence and style were On! Although I never cared for the studio stuff, live I was very impressed. yes

Have you seen him live dude or are you just going off those rough youtube vids?

I completely agree...live is a different story...you can definitely feel his energy. He does sound off on video sometimes, but I've never noticed it live.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »

STP Delivers the Fireworks to Summerfest

Written by L MUCH / Photos by BARRY BRECHEISEN   
Saturday, 05 July 2008

Weiland wrapped in Betsy Ross?s greatest accomplishment, walked out of the shadows making a grand appearance very few could pull off. Hey did you expect any less from Weiland on the 4th of July of all days? Being chosen as the headliners of Summerfest on our nation?s independence day, the pressure was on for Stone Temple Pilots.

Never fear, the trio came out opening with the slide guitar goodness of ?Big Empty? and owned the crowd all the way through to the final notes of the closer, ?Trippin? on a Hole in a Paper Heart.? For a group of guys that disbanded five years ago, STP showed they still had something to say even though, as of yet, they have not recorded any new material.

It?s only been a few months since Weiland came through town fronting the ill fated 2008 tour of Velvet Revolver. It was only a matter of time before VR would implode and was amazing they even completed their sophomoric album. These days Weiland looks more refreshed and comfortable back in the fold with the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz. Weiland has found his way back to the band that started it all but can he keep his personal life together this time around?

Through the course of the night, Weiland seemed nostalgic about STP and their catalog of hits. Often in between songs, Weiland talked about where he and the band were during the making of some of their biggest hits. ?This song was written on pure inspiration,? Weiland reveals before going into ?Interstate Love Song.?

Just a few songs earlier, during ?Crackerman,? Weiland tossed his signature blowhorn to the ground in frustration when he couldn?t get it to work. A roadie soon appeared from side stage and Weiland was once again happy, slithering around the stage like a demon possessed. The DeLeo brothers looked quite happy back with the band they created and seemed ready to deal with the unpredicted behavior of their leader.

The one great thing about going to a Velvet Revolver concert was the band would not only showcase their tunes, but STP and Guns N? Roses songs as well. STP didn?t play any VR or GN?R tracks this evening, but they did suddenly go into Queens ?We Will Rock You,? complete with Dean DeLeo delivering a perfect Brian May guitar solo. The band continued with a slow bluesy jam before going into their signature hit ?Sex Type Thing? and ?Sin.?

Back for the encore, framed with a big American flag on the jumbo screen behind them, the band reentered the stage with a couple new friends accompanying. ?Regardless of who the next President is, these guys are still going to represent our country,? Weiland proclaimed as he welcomed the two sailors in full uniform on the stage. After introducing themselves, the sailors got the crowd into a frenzy by leading a chant of ?U.S.A.? Weiland is then presented with one of their hats and wears it proudly, with that, the sailor sans hat, leads the band into the opening lyrics of ?Dead and Bloated.? Perhaps a weird and twisted choice for soldiers to sing, still the moment wasn?t lost on the crowd or the sailors themselves. In fact, the sailors looked like this could be the crowning moment of their lives so far.

If STP wasn?t enough to make this 4th of July special, earlier in the night Black Francis a.k.a. Frank Black frontman of the Pixies, opened to a mix reception. Frank Black and his band delivered a great hour set but was lost on a crowd mostly unfamiliar with the tunes or even who he was for that matter.

STP has proven they can still deliver an amazing set and has the hits to prove it. Time will tell if Weiland and the boys can keep it together to get themselves back into the studio in the fall. The chemistry is still there live but can they bring that same magic to the studio?

Photos here: http://www.luminomagazine.com/mw/content/view/2487/1

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2008, 07:56:52 PM »

Yeah, I saw VR live in Atlanta and it seems his vocals are just kind of intelligible. I cant make out what he is saying half the time.

Great frontman live though. I watched him way more than I did Slash.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2008, 12:04:51 AM »

Weiland disappoints at Dodge

Jul. 30, 2008

You really have to wonder what sparked the Stone Temple Pilots to re-unite after a lengthy six year hiatus. It's no secret that singer Scott Weiland is the king of burning bridges with former band mates and has been in and out of rehab and jail facilities over the past decade. Recently he was dismissed of his duties by super-group Velvet Revolver and STP hasn't recorded new material in years. That's why it shocked fans when the band announced it would be hitting the road this summer on a 65 date outing that hit the Dodge Theatre on Tuesday night.

As lights went out and Weiland appeared in front of his microphone stand muttering something about Velvet Revolver and Stone Temple Pilots before the rest of the band had even made their way on stage. Part of the beauty of attending a Weiland event is that you never know exactly what version of the singer is going to show up and the singer's erratic behavior set the tone early on for what would be a rough night for the 90's alt-heroes.

The lengthy set opened with Big Empty from The Crow soundtrack. Dressed in a grey suit Weiland stumbled around the stage and fell into drummer Eric Kretz's drum kit which confirmed he is now officially the Amy Winehouse of rock 'n' roll. When he did sing he often forgot words or changed them. "Conversations Kill" quickly became "Masturbation Kill."

The singer's incoherent rants in between songs were cut off by his band members starting the next song to stop the bleeding. Guitarist Dean DeLeo and his brother bassist Robert DeLeo looked humiliated as they ripped through classics like Wicked Garden, Big Bang Baby and Vasoline.

It was refreshing to see the band dive deep into their back catalog when they played tracks like Lounge Fly and Silvergun Superman from Purple which featured video screen with psychedelic imagery. During rock ballad Creep Weiland described the night best when he sang "I'm half the man I used to be" as his raspy voice struggled to hit the notes. It was hard to watch such a great talent self-destruct.

The crowd was really thrown for a loop when the singer busted out an a cappella

cover of Bob Marley's Redemption Song which felt like it went on for an hour because it was hard to understand anything he was saying. During the band biggest hit Plush, the crowd erupted into a giant sing-along when Weiland let them sing most of the choruses.

The one real highlight of the night came during Sin from their 1992 debut record Core and was the first sign that the singer still had a pulse as he moved around the stage in a Robert Plant fashion.

The encore began with Dead and Bloated with Scott sporting a poncho and hat. Like many other songs that night, his timing was off as he belted the opening notes through a megaphone. The night ended with Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart with Weiland singing, "I am I am I said I'm not myself, but I'm not dead and I'm not for sale."

This performance may have had the DeLeo brothers and drummer Eric Kretz asking themselves what they were thinking when they reinstated their rock 'n' roll marriage with Weiland.

slideshow See photos

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/2008/07/30/20080730stprevu.html

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »

No one has told Weiland that he should keep his shirt on....he's not exactly Glenn Danzig!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »

Video of Scott falling into the drum kit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESTuN-IrUc

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »

This is kinda sad you know...Someone needs to take charge of Weiland to help him out....I jsut know one of these mornings im gonna wake up and findout hes dead

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »

What a waste of untalented space.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »

Does anyone know what show this footage is from?

Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOUBDsHAWtk

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »

What a waste of untalented space.

I dont see the problem here. His vocals are spot on, he just took one too many steps back after he came backward off the monitor and bumped into the bass drum.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: