Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:52:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  axl's voice in 2006
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: axl's voice in 2006  (Read 15021 times)
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« on: April 27, 2006, 01:24:56 AM »

personally i thought axl's voice in 2002 was good because he had an even wider vocal range which is really increbible, and i was wondering two things:

1. what did you think of axl's voice in 2002?

2. i know it's hard to predict but do you think it's possible that axl's voice has changed through 4 years of practice, to maybe grow even stronger?

The one and only Speed Stone, reader since '99, member since 2002, had to delete my account due to severe insults by SLCPUNK
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 01:32:59 AM »

1. i think axl's voice was ok in 2002, although it wasn't the voice i knew.

2. i prefer his voice from the illusions tour so i hope he'll get closer to that in this tour

GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 01:38:41 AM »

I felt his voice was ok, i was more than fine with it. My issue was that he was often out of breath and therefore missed notes, and sounded weak. I don't think it was his voice that was the problem, it was a lack of preparation. I think he'll be ready this go around though.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41:40 AM »

It's gonna be hard (until i hear his voice) to convince me that his voice has gotten better over time.  Undecided

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 01:42:02 AM »

I felt his voice was ok, i was more than fine with it. My issue was that he was often out of breath and therefore missed notes, and sounded weak. I don't think it was his voice that was the problem, it was a lack of preparation. I think he'll be ready this go around though.

but is it possible that his voice can grow stronger in 4 years? that's what i would like to know...

on a side note, i can't believe we are actually talking about axl rose touring in 2006 Cool unreal! drool

The one and only Speed Stone, reader since '99, member since 2002, had to delete my account due to severe insults by SLCPUNK
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:42:42 AM »

I love the 01/02 voice. Love the highness of it. Hope it hasn't changed too much.

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 01:43:34 AM »

also, by "strong" i mean a little rougher, anyone who heard his screams during the 2002 tour can confirm that axl's voice is infact very strong...

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:23 AM »

I don't think it was his vocal capabilities that let him down in 02. I liked the sound of his voice. Just listen to November Rain where he was seated and not running around, when i saw him he sounded great. I think he didn't put enough effort in to being in shape, if he had been in shape he would not have become winded. He can still hit his notes, but he can't be sucking wind all the time. His voice unto itself is still very strong.

DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:40 AM »

The positives of his 2002 vocal technique were that it allowed him to have a higher range than he formerly had during live performances, and he was able to not progressively wreck his voice during concerts like he did in 1991-1993.

The negatives were that his voice sounded whiny and less emotionally attached to the lyrics. If I want to hear "Rocket Queen", I don't want to hear some whiny, weakened voice singing it.

I guess we'll find out in 15 days if he's changed technique.
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:48:20 AM »

I think he didn't put enough effort in to being in shape, if he had been in shape he would not have become winded. He can still hit his notes, but he can't be sucking wind all the time.

Exactly - the 2001 bootlegs sound worlds better than the 2002 ones because Axl was relatively in good health for those shows.

From recent pictures it appears he's lost weight since 2002, so I'm hoping his performances will be better this time around.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:51:27 AM »

I would hope he is putting everything he has into getting ready for the tour. If he comes out winded again, especially in NYC and Rio, which will both be very high profile, the press is going to kill him, and he knows it. I know im biased but i think he will have it together when he takes the stage.

Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:53:42 AM »

I would hope he is putting everything he has into getting ready for the tour. If he comes out winded again, especially in NYC and Rio, which will both be very high profile, the press is going to kill him, and he knows it. I know im biased but i think he will have it together when he takes the stage.

well i'm sure he has prepared for it alot, i think we are in for something amazing this time around, i think his preparations must be about done though because lately uncle axl's been in new york partying and living it up... beer

gnrkid03
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 02:05:22 AM »

He seemed like he was running out of breath most of the time.  I hope it sounds like it did at the Ritz in 88.  This higher pitched voice would be alright if he could sustain it.  I mean, he can't even sing Jungle anymore.
Miggy
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 03:18:28 AM »

People who say his voice was good in 2002 are a little bit deaf.  His voice isn't that good anymore.  Sure, he still can sing the high notes, but that rough edge is totally gone.  He doesn't have that powervoice anymore.   And like gnrkid03 said, he was indeed running out of breath most of the time.  And it's a bit stupid to believe his voice will grow over the years now.  Maybe if he lost lots of weight since '02 he'll be less out of breath, but that won't change the sound of his voice.  On the album his voice will sound better because when recording it, he didn't have to sing for two straight hours.  Just bits and pieces.  And it'll also be better thanks to a little bit of technology.  Wink  I'm not bashing Axl, I'm still a fan, but a realistic one ...

Anyway, it could be worse, listen to James Hetfield nowadays, ouch, that's painfull.
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 03:25:28 AM »

People who say his voice was good in 2002 are a little bit deaf.? His voice isn't that good anymore.? Sure, he still can sing the high notes, but that rough edge is totally gone.? He doesn't have that powervoice anymore.? ?And like gnrkid03 said, he was indeed running out of breath most of the time.? And it's a bit stupid to believe his voice will grow over the years now.? Maybe if he lost lots of weight since '02 he'll be less out of breath, but that won't change the sound of his voice.? On the album his voice will sound better because when recording it, he didn't have to sing for two straight hours.? Just bits and pieces.? And it'll also be better thanks to a little bit of technology.? Wink? I'm not bashing Axl, I'm still a fan, but a realistic one ...

Anyway, it could be worse, listen to James Hetfield nowadays, ouch, that's painfull.

don't compare axl to that wash-up, thanx Wink
anyway are you sure that his voice can't grow? it's still strong, listen to the screams he did in 2002, also if he has been practicing alot then he can make it stronger, don't you think?

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 03:36:51 AM »

exactly..anyone that knows anything about singing knows that the vocal chords are like a muscle. The more you sing the stronger it gets. Being that he hadn't sung in 8yrs, lack of breathe support was a problem. But as the tour progressed in 2002 you could hear his voice getting stronger. I'm sure it'll be great on record
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 03:38:54 AM »

but is it possible that his voice can grow stronger in 4 years? that's what i would like to know...

no since he hasn't sung live in years..it takes time
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 03:41:02 AM »

I think he didn't put enough effort in to being in shape, if he had been in shape he would not have become winded. He can still hit his notes, but he can't be sucking wind all the time.

From recent pictures it appears he's lost weight since 2002, so I'm hoping his performances will be better this time around.

it appears he gained weight. he was in very good shape in 2002...I saw him on the streets. 2001 different story
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:43:33 AM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 03:47:54 AM »

it appears he gained weight. he was in very good shape in 2002...I saw him on the streets. 2001 different story

have you seen the recent pics of axl? he looks buffed now.

no since he hasn't sung live in years..it takes time

but wouldn't it be possible to do this through practicing?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:49:30 AM by Speed Stone » Logged

Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 03:49:55 AM »

wasn't he saying that he was experimenting with?his voice during the 2002 tour?Huh
I think i heard it somewhere ?Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Anyway, i think Axl will be prepared this time. ?I don't think we need to worry about the band because they sounded pretty tight on the last tour.
It remains to be seen what is going on with the third guitarist..

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: